Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

New CL Format confirmed

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So with 6 super rich clubs we've managed to get 7th, with the door open for another super rich club able to gain more traction... we are going to make 5th?

I'm struggling with this logic.
Those six clubs are already super rich, at the minute anyone else wanting to get into the CL needs 3 of them to have a bad season, with these changes if two of them have a bad season then it opens it up. It doesn’t make a huge amount of difference, but I think there is a slightly more hope for clubs like us, Villa etc to get 5th than there is 4th. Leicester have finished 5th twice in the last few years.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a complete farce !!!

This should be never be allowed to happen.
I hope it meets with the same fan response as the breakaway super league

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All this could mean in freak circumstances, 7 (SEVEN) English sides could qualify in one season:

- Top 4 of the PL
- 1 of the 2 Best Nation spots
- Winner of UCL finishing outside top 4/5
- And Winner of UEL finishing outside top 4/5

A UEFA official described the chances as “like a meteorite hitting the room”, but it’s now officially a possibility

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It amuses me that UEFA desperately change the parameters every so often to try and get Man Utd back into their flagship competition, and it keeps failing because they're crap.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It amuses me that UEFA desperately change the parameters every so often to try and get Man Utd back into their flagship competition, and it keeps failing because they're crap
There's definitely two sides to this debate. Even the old proposal had merit but the revised version is definitely a good thing in my view. Perhaps they could have let 2 sides in bit not shared the prize/tv money if it was purely about the entertainment value.

I thought of the old rules more like a 2 club wildcard. Similar to tennis.

Got me wondering, do lower ranked tennis players who struggle to get into Wimbledon hate the wildcard system?

Anyway, the country co-efficient route opens it up for England. I don't think Man Utd even need the Champions League these days to dominate financially. They're too big now

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just a way of ensuring 5 of the big 6 make it in most years. Nice way of ensuring Manchester United no matter how bad they **** it up UEFA will try and get them in there.

Dont care if it benefits Wolves somehow its just unfair, simple as.

As some of have alluded to Wolves role in the creation of the european cup, i wonder in those meetings if it was discussed that "yes we'll have a competition now where the champions of each league battle it out to determine who is the best, but the real quiz will be in 50 yrs time when we can have 5 teams from 1 league with the biggest bank balances, and sometimes we will make leagues champions as famous as Ajax or Benfica from big football nations have to qualify for the tournament because their bank balances are so tiny, so those countries might not even have a representative"

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn't it ultimately depend on how our FA decide to distribute the extra place (if we get one)

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just a way of ensuring 5 of the big 6 make it in most years. Nice way of ensuring Manchester United no matter how bad they **** it up UEFA will try and get them in there.

Dont care if it benefits Wolves somehow its just unfair, simple as.

As some of have alluded to Wolves role in the creation of the european cup, i wonder in those meetings if it was discussed that "yes we'll have a competition now where the champions of each league battle it out to determine who is the best, but the real quiz will be in 50 yrs time when we can have 5 teams from 1 league with the biggest bank balances, and sometimes we will make leagues champions as famous as Ajax or Benfica from big football nations have to qualify for the tournament because their bank balances are so tiny, so those countries might not even have a representative"
Who is it unfair on?

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Better than the previous proposals in terms of the coefficient now going to the best performing countries rather than clubs (no auto spot for Utd thankfully) and the Prem could be likely beneficiaries. Assuming 5th gets a UCL spot most seasons, would mean 8th could qualify for the Conference League. That's almost half the league in some sort of European competition.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Who is it unfair on?
So the 5th place will always be going to the premier league lets make that clear. Those 5 clubs generally will be from a choice of 6. The new format with more games and automatic qualification for those teams mean even greater revenues therefore widening the gap between the haves and the have nots. So you could say in terms of CL qualification it will be even tougher in the long run for teams lower in the prem rather than easier. While Uefa have given 2 more places out to other leagues those would have to qualify still so there is no guarantee they will be playing in the champions league. In leagues with only a few places available the new format will boost their financial advantage over the other teams in the league which in turn creates a monopoly on league titles, something that is already becoming a problem in pretty much every league in Europe bar the premier league.

The new option is better than the previous option of club coefficient but you have to be blind if you cant see which clubs the new changes as a whole are benefiting.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So the 5th place will always be going to the premier league lets make that clear. Those 5 clubs generally will be from a choice of 6. The new format with more games and automatic qualification for those teams mean even greater revenues therefore widening the gap between the haves and the have nots. So you could say in terms of CL qualification it will be even tougher in the long run for teams lower in the prem rather than easier. While Uefa have given 2 more places out to other leagues those would have to qualify still so there is no guarantee they will be playing in the champions league. In leagues with only a few places available the new format will boost their financial advantage over the other teams in the league which in turn creates a monopoly on league titles, something that is already becoming a problem in pretty much every league in Europe bar the premier league.

The new option is better than the previous option of club coefficient but you have to be blind if you cant see which clubs the new changes as a whole are benefiting.
A format with more games and more revenue does potentially widen the gap. I see that.

I dont think the extra places necessarily adds to disadvantage. To take it to the extreme, if three places were available, wolves would have a much reduced chance and could essentially give up, if 8 places were available, we'd have a great shout of getting in regularly.

FFP has closed the shop. Be interesting to see what Newcastle can do. If they can somehow crack it, it will show that it's partly a lack of desire to invest big that's holding us back

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What? God forbid that someone bothered to actually read what was written rather than have a pathetic rant! Who exactly needs a life?
The thing is a farce
Who needs a life l.. You judging by your post count.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A format with more games and more revenue does potentially widen the gap. I see that.

I dont think the extra places necessarily adds to disadvantage. To take it to the extreme, if three places were available, wolves would have a much reduced chance and could essentially give up, if 8 places were available, we'd have a great shout of getting in regularly.

FFP has closed the shop. Be interesting to see what Newcastle can do. If they can somehow crack it, it will show that it's partly a lack of desire to invest big that's holding us back
It depends what youre after, i think long term it will mean we actually have less chance to make the CL as those clubs that regularly play in it will be so far ahead financially the gap will be impossible to close, also the whole reason for this is because the prem top clubs are worried about being caught and so this is a safety valve for them to qualify and the top clubs in Europe have been so badly managed that its a safety valve for them.
Its just a super league by incremental evolution. They had to be talked down from club coefficients but the fact they were happy to put it in without the backlash of superleague shows where there heads are at. It will just be a superleague evolving over time from plans like these instead.
In terms of places dropping down, if 8th drops down to being a conference league place then that is great news for Wolves if you just want them to qualify for europe.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The format is definitely a problem as you say, the chance of a big club being upset in one off games has potential, a big club messing up 8 games against seeded lower opposition is near enough impossible. It just reduces the jeopardy completely allowing the big clubs to progress, while adding more financially lucrative games. I cant imagine the fans finding this new format very engaging. Will be a lot of dead rubbers and very few shocks.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That new format in a nutshell:

Champions League main stage to consist of Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Real, Barca, Bayern, Juventus, Milan every season forever. The rest grab a place if you can.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But will 8th get you a place if Man U, Chelsea or Liverpool finish 9th?

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder when footy fans will learn. We had a chance to **** off the big six for good a year ago and everybody was up in arms. We should have helped them pack ffs.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Uefa will allow two clubs to enter the Champions League from 2024 based on historical performance, it has been agreed, but with the rankings determined by country and not club.

The deal, struck at a meeting of Uefa’s executive committee on Tuesday, is a compromise which will also see the number of fixtures in the revamped Champions League reduced to eight matches per club in the ‘league stage’, down from a proposed 10.

Under previous plans, two clubs who failed to reach the Champions League by league qualification would have still made the tournament based on their coefficient, a rating determined by performance in Europe over the previous five years.

The new approach will also see two places determined by coefficient, but that of the country as a whole, and only over the past year. If the new rules were applied this season, the two extra places would go to clubs from England and the Netherlands.

The numbers are based on points obtained by all a country’s clubs in a given season in the Champions League, Europa League and Europa Conference League.

Sigh.
That's much better than a free pass for big clubs. The extra CL spots will be awarded to the next best team regardless of who they are. It's no different than England already having four CL spots as opposed to Scotland's one.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see it as a closed shop because it's based on historical results which in reality benefits a few big sides. Wasn't it a few years before the FA agreed to enter.
I wonder how many points teams like Rheims have accrued.
In the late 50's and early 60's they regularly appeared in the European Cup but have been in oblivion since it seems.
Perhaps we could apply this criteria to the FA Cup and allow Wanderers (if they still exist) into the competition at Round 3. After all they have won it 5 times, including 3 times on the trot.
History should count for nothing in my view.
I'm afraid your interpretation is entirely wrong. The only history that's considered is the current season, past glories literally play no part.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s safeguarding against reduced viewing figures and sponsorship if a “big” club fail to qualify. Sponsors want teams like Utd and players like Ronaldo in the competition that they’re sponsoring… so they’re going to get just that.
If the system was implemented this season, United still wouldn't qualify for the CL. They would benefits by being bumped up to the EL if they finish 7th. Wolves would benefit most by qualifying for the conference in 8th. Sounds good to me.

Reactions: Ned
Back
Top Bottom