Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Neves

Nige

Reaction score
I still don't quite believe that he would want to play in Saudi. I mean the idea of him coming here six years ago was to showcase himself to attract Premier league or la liga big clubs. Now, in his prime, after proving himself to be a top, top player, he finally leaves us, a club he's fallen in love with, to go to Asia? I just can't get my head around it.
i think you would understand it more if you knew his earnings..

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
Probably my favourite player in all my time following the club. Watching players like Ruben Neves is why I love football and unfortunately those players are few and far between. I'm just glad I had the pleasure of watching him for all this time. I don't think he's put a foot wrong in six years. Even in leaving, he has shown his class.

Good luck to him and I hope one day he returns to Wolves in some capacity. He'll always be welcome here.

Nige

Reaction score
I just cannot understand all these pundits having a go at him and saying all Saudi transfers should be banned ?? they are only trying to do what the Premier league did 20+ years ago.. So why so many dummies being spit out of Prams.. A threat to PL dominance maybe.. The PL destroyed the English game and the pyramid System with fake money from unethical broadcasters and Foreign owners. The Saudis already have the money

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boy that was a hard watch. I'm trying to think of the last time I teared up over a Wolves player; I think it was when I heard the Doog had died. The Doog is my favourite ever Wolves player so it shows to me just how much esteem I hold for Ruben Neves. I was lucky to have a ST for his first 3 seasons so I saw perhaps the best of his genius at first-hand. Not sure we will ever see his like again, unless of course, he comes back to finish his career at Molineux one day? I can dream.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember thinking after that Watford game.... that's it for my lifetime, there'll be nothing else that comes close. And yet, still Neves (and some others) still dragged us a little bit further. Now, it really feels like the best we ever got. Horrible video to watch when you're in that mindset - this is a guy who deserved better than what we could give him, but he gave his career to us anyway. He leaves with nothing but love and gratitude.

I have no issue with the likes of Coady and Boly, but Neves is and should always be seen as a different category of player to pretty much anyone who has worn the gold and black other than Bully in our lifetime. No leaving for a World Cup or not playing in case he got injured, he's given everything for us. One of a kind.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'd have to be made of stone not to feel sad watching that.

For me it's the nostalgia. I still remember the day he signed. Phil Taylor beat Peter Wright in Blackpool the same evening in his last ever Matchplay Final. Why that's relevant I don't really know, but I remember both happening on that Saturday.

The unprecedented positive and almost surreal vibe that immersed us at that time and the following 2-3 years. Neves was the core of that.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember thinking after that Watford game.... that's it for my lifetime, there'll be nothing else that comes close. And yet, still Neves (and some others) still dragged us a little bit further. Now, it really feels like the best we ever got. Horrible video to watch when you're in that mindset - this is a guy who deserved better than what we could give him, but he gave his career to us anyway. He leaves with nothing but love and gratitude.

I have no issue with the likes of Coady and Boly, but Neves is and should always be seen as a different category of player to pretty much anyone who has worn the gold and black other than Bully in our lifetime. No leaving for a World Cup or not playing in case he got injured, he's given everything for us. One of a kind.
Well said, I feel exactly the same

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not 100millon, it’s 12 million.
More than that.

It's been reliably reported that Al-Hilal offered $400m per season to Messi - & They were reportedly offering Neves around tenfold his current wage at Wolves.

Feel free for anyone to correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've heard personally, he was on around £60k ish p/w at Wolves, putting him on £600k p/w @ Al-Hilal & amounting to around £30m per year.

On a 3 year deal, that's pretty in line with what others like Kante have been offered (£25m p/year on a 4 year deal) at Ittihad etc. So I don't believe it's overexaggerating what Ruben has been given by any means.

Disco Wolf

Reaction score
Tbf to ruben he has put his kids future first with this move, but in 2.6million a year already, wasn’t already set up for life?
I wouldn’t say taking your kids to live in Saudi Arabia - I assume they’re going with him - was putting their future, or perhaps more accurately their present, first, but he may have calculated they’ll be leaving SA (after a couple of years?) before they’re of an age for it to be detrimental.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The man is just a genuinely great person and a brilliant player. Totally gutted he's leaving. Good luck Ruben, hope we see you again at Molineux one day. You are a rare breed of footballer these days.

And for all those people who think emotion and sentiment has no place in football, when you see that, its clear you are all just way off the mark and totally wrong. You take that away, the game is pointless.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ruben Neves, six years of class on and off the pitch. I so hope he can fill a cabinet with trophies after a couple of years filling his bank account. Legend is a much overused term in football but Neves is just that. Thanks Ruben and good luck.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say taking your kids to live in Saudi Arabia - I assume they’re going with him - was putting their future, or perhaps more accurately their present, first, but he may have calculated they’ll be leaving SA (after a couple of years?) before they’re of an age for it to be detrimental.
Why's it detrimental? They'll be in a private international school (same as UK) and living in a luxury compound amongst friends and colleagues. Private jet back home to Portugal or UK at will and it never rains.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like a lot of our recent signings, I'd never heard of Neves until he signed. I have now. He's stayed much longer than most thought. We believed we'd be a stepping-stone to bigger clubs, but Neves stayed. As he says in the vid, he loves Wolverhampton, the fans and everyone he's worked with at Mol. Good luck in your new life, Ruben and thanks for the memories.
That goal against Derby - drool!!!! o_O

Last edited:

Hugh Jarse

Reaction score
Takes a lot to get me teared up but that video properly had me last night.

It's easy to see players as mercenaries these days, but this lad is summat special. He's brought so much to us and the club, it's been a pleasure to have him here.

The very best of luck for the future. Wishing you and your family success and happiness. Thanks for everything FWAW

Stingray II

Reaction score
Why's it detrimental? They'll be in a private international school (same as UK) and living in a luxury compound amongst friends and colleagues. Private jet back home to Portugal or UK at will and it never rains.
I agree with Discowolf but someone should start a thread in the political section to discuss those awful Saudi things and not spoil this thread.
It would be lovely if Ruben could leave his family in Wolverhampton and visit frequently. Why not? Clearly they have settled nicely and there's a bond with the community. Kinda like people working overseas, or on oil-rigs for months at a time.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First watched the video after i'd just woken up and didnt really take it in. Watched it again during the day and boy oh boy. In my time supporting Wolves I have never ever seen a player so emotionally attached to the club the way Reuben clearly was and is. It's a one off and I dont think we will ever see that again in our lifetimes.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was the wonder kid who gave everything for Wolves, played like a man with gold and black in his veins. Aw man, I hope he reads the last few pages and knows how much it means to us who've been Wolves through the times and who were fortunate enough to see him, Moutinho and all take us back. He gave his heart and soul for us on the pitch, never less than 100%. Respect and Love.
Always Wolves ay we.
Obrigado.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Just think about the position he is in. Yes he’s already a wealthy man and he’s earned his money doing something he loves doing. You could ask just how much do you need?

He came to a town in a foreign country and fell in love with the place and its people. His children are Wulfrunians, it’s their birthplace and their home.

His club however have fallen backwards in the last three seasons and he is getting older and came to the conclusion he’d have to move to play football I at the top level..he has his sights on playing for one of Europe’s giants.

Then Barca, as they were always going to, let him down. No-one else is bidding, then along comes his agent and his boss with a financial deal that was too good for everyone to turn down.

He’ll have been under a pressure none of us could imagine. There’s no challenge there, Saudi is no Wolverhampton, he won’t have the relationship with the fans he does here.

Yes his bank balance will grow beyond his wildest dreams but his heart is broken. And so are ours……..

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all hoped he wouldnt turn out in a Liverpool ir arsenal or other teams shirt and you can see he feels the same. It was us who helped build that bond. He joined from his hometown club aged 20. I dont think he knew how passionate and deep rooted football is in england ( especially outside the less fashionable clubs). He says in the video he was surprised. He is still only 26 but he has the maturity of a guy ten years older. What a man. What a player. One of us

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I knew a Scotsman once, he came to Australia to work in social care and child protection after working on oil rigs off Aberdeen for years.
Big tough ginger bloke covered in tats, but very thoughtful.
After about 5 years he said he was taking a break from his job because of the stress, and he disappeared for a couple of years....then suddenly reappeared in the pub and said he'd resumed his job and carried on as normal.
Turns out he went over to WA and worked on oil rigs for 2 years......took 10 years his usual salary, came back, paid off his mortgage and said he'd knocked years off his working life and was now able to see his future differently.
Everyone's on a different path to get to the point where they can CHOOSE what to do with their lives.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I knew a Scotsman once, he came to Australia to work in social care and child protection after working on oil rigs off Aberdeen for years.
Big tough ginger bloke covered in tats, but very thoughtful.
After about 5 years he said he was taking a break from his job because of the stress, and he disappeared for a couple of years....then suddenly reappeared in the pub and said he'd resumed his job and carried on as normal.
Turns out he went over to WA and worked on oil rigs for 2 years......took 10 years his usual salary, came back, paid off his mortgage and said he'd knocked years off his working life and was now able to see his future differently.
Everyone's on a different path to get to the point where they can CHOOSE what to do with their lives.
I count myself lucky that I enjoyed every minute (well almost!) of my working life, because I loved my work. In the great scheme of things it was decently paid but nothing special. I could have earned a lot more in a related but different field, but I'm glad I didn't switch. Money isn't everything -- you need enough but you don't need masses, otherwise you spend your life worrying about losing it/ how to invest it. I've met quite a few miserable rich people in my time.

Back
Top Bottom