Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Neves

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone is suggesting money is not the primary driver for Neves moving there now. I’m certainly not. But some of us can see the longer term and recognise that this is just a step in his career. People assuming it’s semi retirement are not considering about what happens in 2-3 years when he’s 28-29 and so wealthy he can play wherever he likes if he wishes. He will have options open to him that simply don’t exist now, and that is incredibly valuable whatever your personal drivers. His international manager is not criticising this move in the meantime, and in 2-3 years time there will be enough top level Saudi owned clubs in Europe to ensure he can continue to play at the highest European levels if he wishes.

I’m happy for him, and for Wolves, since we’ve shown Barca and the other “big” clubs they can’t **** about with us any more. I don’t like Saudi society for all the reasons we don’t need to discuss here, but neither do I have a deep seated hatred which is biasing my opinion of this move.
It may well be a step to come back to Europe, or even come back soon to Newcastle on loan as many have suggested, but we have no idea if that is the case or not. If he does do 3 years in Saudi, there's no telling on how much he may regress in his ability after playing in an awful league. He may come back to Europe and pick up where he left off, or he may try and come back but find the game is too quick for him. Only time will tell.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And now it's getting competition, and the toys are out the pram.
Serious question is the SPL really competition though, I suppose we'll see if people start paying to watch that rather then the EPL, or La Liga, I suppose some individuals will follow individual players like Ronaldo or Benzema, we'll see.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great, you're specially unique. By the way, in you're line of work, if I was your boss, you'd be perfectly fine with me not increasing your wage at any given point, given perfect content has been received, you've reached a level of comfort so I don't think you need anymore. Only fair.
Apples and Pears.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Serious question is the SPL really competition though, I suppose we'll see if people start paying to watch that rather then the EPL, or La Liga, I suppose some individuals will follow individual players like Ronaldo or Benzema, we'll see.
A lot of young kids, especially those in territories such as Asia where football isn't ingrained in their culture, are fans of individual players e.g. Ronaldo, Messi etc.

The general idea of the Saudi attempts is to create superstar teams - a bit like galacticos, but on an even bigger and more widespread scale.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wait till you realise why he came to Wolverhampton.
I thought he was sold a project, Portugese manager, lots of Portgugese talent, supplemented by quality additions like Boly and Jimenez, with a push to get the club promoted and then a push to get into the top 7 into Europe and then push to get into the top 6.

We got close.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends which people you are talking about. In England perhaps not. Worldwide though many of the TV supporters may well watch the Saudi league to see the big names playing. That in due course, if they do so instead of the PL, could affect PL TV rights deal values and also PL club merchandising.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What would ya think if he refused the offer,and left wolves for nothing.Therefore wolves NOT getting 47m.That’s what you have to look at if you are a true wolves fan.Or worse still for me,going to Man United for 20m in January because no one else has come in for him and he’s now becoming desperate.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree Neves has been 100% professional, 100% honest and open and impeccably respectful to Wolves. He's a proper class act.
My post a week ago, regarding Neves, my view hasn't changed.

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fair play to him he’s done it for money and it’s also benefitted us massively as if he’d held out for Barca we’d of had nothing. All this stuff about his career I couldn’t give a monkeys he’s left Wolves thanks for the great memories and the promotion but what he does now is of little importance to me. I used to watch him if he played for Portugal with interest, would I bother now? Definitely not couldn’t care less now.

gullykular

Reaction score

The tributes will no doubt start flooding in, so thought I'd get mine in ASAP

R

reanswolf

Where have I cast aspersions, he's gone for the money, there's nothing wrong with that in fact it's the best deal for Wolves, and doesn't diminish my admiration for him quite simply one of the best players ever to play in the old gold.
Adoration though, I'll reserve that for Bully and Billy Wright.
The entire thread.

When you send your wages back because it’s not about money, I’ll agree with you.

I adore him as I do Bully Richards Hibbitt but wasn’t around for Billy Wright.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The entire thread.

When you send your wages back because it’s not about money, I’ll agree with you.

I adore him as I do Bully Richards Hibbitt but wasn’t around for Billy Wright.
Just read all of my posts on this thread and can't see any aspersions cast.

To make it clear, I have nothing but respect for Neves, and his decision, if anything I'm disappointed for him, but don't blame him for going to Al Hilal, but to claim he's gone for anything other than the money is disingenuous, even if it's a perfectly valid reason.

When I'm paid £300k tax free per week, I'll send half of it back no problem at all.

Seeing Billy Wright walk round the Molineux pitch in the late 80s and hearing all of the stories of him as a child led to the adoration, seeing Bully devote virtually his whole career to Wolves and the heroics he performed led to my adoration.

Last edited:

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know, I think he's good enough to play Champions League, I think he'd get in Liverpool's midfield and in Manure's squad, even Arsenal's, don't you?
It's not for me to say - those clubs haven't put a bid in have they.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not for me to say - those clubs haven't put a bid in have they.
They were all heavily linked for a long time, then Al Hilal blew them out the water, in terms of fee and wages.

Maybe none of those clubs quite fancied him.

portugamerifinn

Groupie
Reaction score
Money was only part of it though. Dropping down a level to get games was a key reason for both Jota and Neves to come here.
I'm never going to say he came here for the high life or the culture but it isn't quite as simple as money. People want to enjoy the job they are doing and for players, that means they want to play.

And it's not like Ruben was scraping by in Porto, he was making nearly €12,000/week (or €610,000/year) as a 19-year-old there.

Obviously, he did make a fair bit more immediately upon moving to Wolves, and he wasn't going to the Championship for the same money he was making at Porto, but it's not like he had to secure a hefty contract to benefit his future generations as a 20-year-old. He was already well on his way to a seven-figure salary.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And it's not like Ruben was scraping by in Porto, he was making nearly €12,000/week (or €610,000/year) as a 19-year-old there.

Obviously, he did make a fair bit more immediately upon moving to Wolves, and he wasn't going to the Championship for the same money he was making at Porto, but it's not like he had to secure a hefty contract to benefit his future generations as a 20-year-old. He was already well on his way to a seven-figure salary.
They came here for the project and I'm sure he is excited about the new challenge and project over there too, I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience for him and his family.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do you think the Premier League came about?

The money came from a wealthy backer, that then proceeded to financially muscle and move players over from the powerhouse leagues of Serie A and La Liga and created the monster we have today.

You don't think all those players coming over in the early 90s were for prestige do you?
Oh please, are you seriously suggesting the likes of Youri Djorkaeff, Jay Jay Okocha and Ivan Campo swapped top European clubs for Bolton Wanderers for money?

Have you even ever seen the canal in Bolton?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

To make it clear, I have nothing but respect for Neves, and his decision, if anything I'm disappointed for him, but don't blame him for going to Al Hilal, but to claim he's gone for anything other than the money is disingenuous, even if it's a perfectly valid reason.

When I'm paid £300k tax free per week, I'll send half of it back no problem at all.

Seeing Billy Wright walk round the Molineux pitch in the late 80s and hearing all of the stories of him as a child led to the adoration, seeing Bully devote virtually his whole career to Wolves and the heroics he performed led to my adoration.
Perhaps if the Saudi's were throwing their money at footballers in the 50s and 90s those two players' careers may have been a bit different.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other, better clubs should be queuing up to buy Ruben Neves at this point. I would much prefer to see him go to a club like Liverpool than to join the gigantic sports washing project he's now becoming a part of. He should be playing at a higher level ffs.

Or could it be that Neves is not as highly regarded outside of club an its fanbase?

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now Gary (Mr Establishment) Neville has predictably thrown his oar in expect things to get nasty. Just one of a load of media annoyances who hate that any club can dare to challenge the "Establishment" If it was Manure dealing with the M.E. he would have lauded it as fantastic.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps if the Saudi's were throwing their money at footballers in the 50s and 90s those two players' careers may have been a bit different.
Bari wanted Bully didn't they when Serie A had the cash.

Different times though I agree.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A few points about - 'Sacrificing his career'

1. Career's are mainly about making money and making the best decisions for your family in the circumstances. Beware giving career's too much weight in terms of 'your life'. What you are or do, does not define you. Occupation's are transitional. Ask anyone who has been retired 10 years how relevant it is to them now that they were once a nurse, teacher, or share dealer.
2. We have no idea of his decision making process - the positives and negatives involved that made him weigh up his options and come to the decision he has for the good of his family and his life choices.
3. Ruben's career choices are Ruben's not ours and like it or not it's just none of our business. Full stop.

For most careers, point 1 exactly right. But for footballers and sports in general, I think memories of a major trophy outweigh a million quid or two. Top footballers are ludicrously paid anyway. And a World Cup or Champions League medal has to be worth more than "Employee of the year"! Top players are earning as much in a month as most of us earn in a decade, so of course the money is far more important to nurses, teachers etc How much of their savings would Ronaldo/Moutinho/Kane/etc etc sacrifice for a World Cup winners medal? A fair amount, I reckon.

I am surprised Neves would rather devote possibly the best years of his career in Saudi, to playing for a potential trophy winning side. Not counting the Saudi league or cup of course.

But yes, he's clearly a smart, grounded person, so must have his reasons for the decision.

R

reanswolf

I just think it’s sad that anyone feels the need to even question his motives or highlight his choices, when he has given us so much.

Just how I see it.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For most careers, point 1 exactly right. But for footballers and sports in general, I think memories of a major trophy outweigh a million quid or two. Top footballers are ludicrously paid anyway. And a World Cup or Champions League medal has to be worth more than "Employee of the year"! How much of their savings would Ronaldo/Moutinho/Kane/etc etc sacrifice for a World Cup winners medal? A fair amount, I reckon.

I am surprised Neves would rather devote possibly the best years of his career in Saudi, to playing for a potential trophy winning side. Not counting the Saudi league or cup of course.

But yes, he's clearly a smart, grounded person, so must have his reasons for the decision.
The main reason being the "dollar dollar bill y'all", or whatever currency they have over there.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obsessed??

I really don't care, it's his life, his career, just feels like an odd choice for a 26 yr old in his prime.

Top players, go to top clubs.
When those top clubs make him an offer.

He could have waited it out but, of course, you run the risk of a serious injury (and he’s seen some at our club) and then missing out on everything.

Of course he’s gone for the money. Money now, glory later. No one offered to buy him in any of the previous x transfer windows. Others don’t rate him the way we do. Take the money now and worry about trophies/ medals in a couple of years. If he can still do it fair enough. If he can’t then at least he’ll have enough money to compensate.

The fact we got a ridiculous fee is a happy by product not the main feature of this move. (IMO).

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just think it’s sad that anyone feels the need to even question his motives or highlight his choices, when he has given us so much.

Just how I see it.

Fair enough I'd have thought it was a fairly interesting thing to question, part of it for me is seeking to understand I was really shocked when the news came out over the weekend.

He has given us so much he has been a fantastic servant and ambassador for Wolverhampton Wanderers, I'm not questioning his decision really, I understand it. Over the last few years I've been asked who our best player is and I've always said Neves, we've been lucky to have him and I thought he deserved to go onto bigger and better things, I don't think Al Hilal is bigger and better, but as I say totally respect his decision

R

reanswolf

Fair enough I'd have thought it was a fairly interesting thing to question, part of it for me is seeking to understand I was really shocked when the news came out over the weekend.

He has given us so much he has been a fantastic servant and ambassador for Wolverhampton Wanderers, I'm not questioning his decision really, I understand it. Over the last few years I've been asked who our best player is and I've always said Neves, we've been lucky to have him and I thought he deserved to go onto bigger and better things, I don't think Al Hilal is bigger and better, but as I say totally respect his decision
Sorry QB, I am probably just irrationally protective of this man I worship, sadly in the same way others are of Messi and Ronaldo.

I’ll get over it :)-

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry QB, I am probably just irrationally protective of this man I worship, sadly in the same way others are of Messi and Ronaldo.

I’ll get over it :)-
There's definitely a bit of you being protective mate and I get that. He owes us nothing, he's been wonderful in all ways as a player and as a bloke, since he walked through the door and now he leaves with Wolves getting £47m, I wish him every success I really do, perhaps I'm disappointed because I wanted more for him, but hopefully that will come in the future.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think he's done anything morally wrong, I don't think his decision is wrong or a mistake, it's just a surprise really.
A lot on here don't think his next employer is a suitable one which is a bit rich considering we've employed him. Some even believe that his choice of new employer has somehow been chosen to help Wolves ! Assuming he eventually signs for them and we do well out of it that will be great. To say he went there to help the Wolves is slightly ridiculous. Remember we have a lot to thank him for but he owes us nothing.

Last edited:

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now Gary (Mr Establishment) Neville has predictably thrown his oar in expect things to get nasty. Just one of a load of media annoyances who hate that any club can dare to challenge the "Establishment" If it was Manure dealing with the M.E. he would have lauded it as fantastic.
Has he? Gary Neville is a tit.

Back
Top Bottom