Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Neves

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i remember a great quote from Larry Holmes just before he fought Mike Tyson and was asked in an interview why would you want to fight Mike Tyson as you don`t need the money and he replied another 4 million dollars never hurt anyone

Going into a fight with Mike Tyson for 4m might just get you hurt!

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
Gutted to see him go and while the move from a footballing perspective seems strange, I think there are a few factors.

1. Barcelona have again failed to put their money where their mouth is (Not surprising).
  2. This gives Neves a substantial amount of money to fall back on, you never know when a footballer's career might end.
  3. It's only a 3 year deal, I'd expect he will either be sold back to a club in Europe next season or loaned.
  4. He will know that his sale is helping the club massively, similar to what he did at Porto

Feel so grateful to have been able to see him play for Wolves and wish him all the best.
Re point 3, I really think this is a way around FFP for the likes of Barca, I would expect it’s been sold to him on the basis that this will enable that move on loan etc

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good deal for Ruben, good deal for the club. It will be interesting to see how the football side of it develops.....

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is how its going to pan out.
Ruben spends 2 or 3 years there, comes back to Wolves on a free or minimal transfer fee, fires us into the CL.......yes I'm a romantic.
Dreaming is for free

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
expect him back at a European club by 2025 and his 28th birthday

This is how I see it, he's probably been advised that Barca can't afford him yet and Mendes has advised him to go to the Saudi league for a bit and he will sort him out later, Saudi league is exploding right now and there will be a spotlight shone on it this season

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gutted to see him go and while the move from a footballing perspective seems strange, I think there are a few factors.

1. Barcelona have again failed to put their money where their mouth is (Not surprising).
  2. This gives Neves a substantial amount of money to fall back on, you never know when a footballer's career might end.
  3. It's only a 3 year deal, I'd expect he will either be sold back to a club in Europe next season or loaned.
  4. He will know that his sale is helping the club massively, similar to what he did at Porto

Feel so grateful to have been able to see him play for Wolves and wish him all the best.

This is just about spot on in my opinion. There are many more factors at stake here.

We know Ruben has the skills and ability to play for the top clubs. He's doing what most footballers do, just the other way round. He's going to earn the money first, knowing he can come back to Europe at any point, because his agent can make it so.

In the meantime, his transfer fee alone (which is staggering by the way, I never thought we'd get that with year left) enables us to more or less immediately go and sign players.

Once Ruben has moved on, if you sell a RAN and a Podence and get say £25m for them, then we can even go as far as going nuts in this window.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Absolutely spot on.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
BTW, did he get any decent offers to play in the CL? How many more years was he to keep waiting for a call that might not come?
I read an Alex Richards article this morning saying nobody in the PL or across Europe has placed a significant bid for him these past three seasons, which I find extraordinary. My guess is they got greedy and thought they could sweat out little old Wolves, then poach Ruben on a free at the end of his contract or for a massively reduced fee - not knowing Ruben would have signed an extension if no move happened this Summer (because he's a great guy who'd never leave the club in that situation). I bet there's a few CEOs across Europe this morning who are lamenting not making a concrete offer.

fleck1

Reaction score
A little gutted to see him making this move, would have loved to see him at one of the big European teams just to see how he went. It just seems these type of teams don't seem to rate him as highly as we do, can see why he's chosen to go there him and his family are set for life after a year over there. He's not going to be the last, it seems the Saudi league is taking off like the Chinese league on steroids .

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I read an Alex Richards article this morning saying nobody in the PL or across Europe has placed a significant bid for him these past three seasons, which I find extraordinary. My guess is they got greedy and thought they could sweat out little old Wolves, then poach Ruben on a free at the end of his contract or for a massively reduced fee - not knowing Ruben would have signed an extension if no move happened this Summer (because he's a great guy who'd never leave the club in that situation). I bet there's a few CEOs across Europe this morning who are lamenting not making a concrete offer.

Good, let them lament!

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll echo what a lot of others have said. From a sporting view it’s a poor move for him but the wages on offer not only has he just secured his life he’s secured his children’s and indeed his children’s children. That as a human is worth more than a medal here and there.

As for those talking about human rights in Saudi, you can’t pick and choose social justice when sat there in a pair of Nike trainers made by an 8 year old and typing a message on an iPhone with a lithium battery that’s been mined in Dickensian conditions.

I watched my first wolves game in 1987 and I’ve some real genuine heroes over the years but Ruben is literally shoulder to shoulder for me with Bully.

lyechris

Groupie
Reaction score
Great deal for us, as I could foresee a last minute fire sale and a bargain to be had, worse case villa sell him a dream!
He'll be very rich but sacrificed his best years, that said as a free agent in 3 years and Barcelona in a better financial picture he may get that dream move. I hope so he deserves it !

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As for those talking about human rights in Saudi, you can’t pick and choose social justice when sat there in a pair of Nike trainers made by an 8 year old and typing a message on an iPhone with a lithium battery that’s been mined in Dickensian conditions.

Very simplistic view IMO.

It's completely unfair and unrealistic to think that people can't make decisions based on moral views unless they're an imaginary version of moral perfection.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's completely unfair and unrealistic to think that people can't make decisions based on moral views unless they're an imaginary version of moral perfection.
You might be right but I don’t think with Chinese owners we can start throwing muck at the Saudi’s. Realistically Ruben us swapping one regime for another.

Personally I’m not bothered either way as I don’t think world politics has a great deal to do with football. Let’s face it we can’t control the UK government when we live here so I’m not sure what stance can be taken against the Saudis or Chinese.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You might be right but I don’t think with Chinese owners we can start throwing muck at the Saudi’s. Realistically Ruben us swapping one regime for another.

Personally I’m not bothered either way as I don’t think world politics has a great deal to do with football. Let’s face it we can’t control the UK government when we live here so I’m not sure what stance can be taken against the Saudis or Chinese.

There's a very clear difference, in that we aren't owned by China, we're owned by Fosun, despite the links between big businesses and the government, that's a big difference.

Neves is now basically going to have to be a cheerleader for Saudi Arabia, as he's literally joining a state owned club.

Obviously on it's own, Neves won't make much difference, as compared to some of the others he's much lower profile. But I do just find it a bit sad, that's all.

It's part of a very clear project - I wonder how long before he starts posting things like Messi?

1687170138026.png

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a very clear difference, in that we aren't owned by China, we're owned by Fosun, despite the links between big businesses and the government, that's a big difference.

Neves is now basically going to have to be a cheerleader for Saudi Arabia, as he's literally joining a state owned club.

Obviously on it's own, Neves won't make much difference, as compared to some of the others he's much lower profile. But I do just find it a bit sad, that's all.

It's part of a very clear project - I wonder how long before he starts posting things like Messi?

View attachment 35267
Maybe, but Messi has a contract with the Saudi tourist board I believe. Neves has signed a contract to play football. We'll see.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not at all. If you're not able to admit your own hypocrisy that's up to you I guess.

Me, I have a plant based diet and wear leather shoes, I'm in no position to criticize intensive farming, I'm part of the problem.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not at all. If you're not able to admit your own hypocrisy that's up to you I guess.

Me, I have a plant based diet and wear leather shoes, I'm in no position to criticize intensive farming, I'm part of the problem.

I don't think it's remotely a binary. That's why crimes have different punishment, because there are different degrees of bad (speeding, assault, murder etc).

It's just nonsensical to compare the murder of a journalist to unethical shopping.

CJWolf

Reaction score
I just hope we get to see him come back to Molineux again. Even if he's playing against us.

We can sing:

You've got Neves
Ruben Neves
I just don't think you understand
He's Wolverhampton's man
He's better than Zidane
We've got... Ahem. I'm not crying, honest.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think it's remotely a binary. That's why crimes have different punishment, because there are different degrees of bad (speeding, assault, murder etc).

It's just nonsensical to compare the murder of a journalist to unethical shopping.

But we all used gas and electricity produced from gas that came from Russia and Qatar and drove cars fuelled by petrol likely derived from crude produced in Saudi…

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But we all used gas and electricity produced from gas that came from Russia and Qatar and drove cars fuelled by petrol likely derived from crude produced in Saudi…

Yes, we don't have much choice in that, unfortunately.

But if you're using that to excuse other awful behaviour because if you're in for a penny you're in for a pound, then I think you're on shaky ground!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

How many child labourers are killed mining lithium?

You can pretend it's not happening if it makes you feel better though.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i remember a great quote from Larry Holmes just before he fought Mike Tyson and was asked in an interview why would you want to fight Mike Tyson as you don`t need the money and he replied another 4 million dollars never hurt anyone
But surely Mike Tyson did!

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Stick to discussion about Neves please. As bod put on the other thread, anything about regimes etc needs to go in the politics forum section.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Erghhhh if fans just accept this obscene money then football will consume itself someday soon
What exactly are fans supposed to do to stop it? You could try going to Saudi to protest..... but you might not like the consequences!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t feel bad for him, because HE made the decision to accept the move no one has held a gun to his head.

His heart was set on a barca move, but they aren’t showing serious signs or attempts to want him, so he took a move that gives him access to multi generational wealth to set up his family for decades and decades to come.

So if he wants to earn £2m per month tax free, that was the sacrifice he made to earn mega bucks that is great for him and he his body will have less miles and wear and tear out there, so he will get his career to last longer and have more money.

Nothing is stopping him getting a move to a euro champions league club in the future.
Absolutely

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Danish sports media and football fans are also deeply outraged and condemn Neves' moral compass. They don't understand it when he could have played for Barcelona or other big clubs. But that's a false premise because it assumes that there was a choice between, for example, Barcelona and Saudi Arabia, where he chose money over sporting ambitions. But that wasn't the case as no other bid came in, so what was Neves supposed to do? Ask Wolves to give him away? Wait a year for his contract to expire?
They might have thought that had been more fitting but it certainly wouldnt been good for Wolves.

Back
Top Bottom