Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Neves

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve never had to defend a player so much to people I know. I’ve had text after text saying things like “great ambition by Neves” and “such a greedy person going there”. **** the lot of them, he’s stayed with us much, much longer than we deserved him to and for that I’ll always be grateful. He deserves to earn himself some generational money and live like an absolute king in the lap of luxury for a few seasons.

Thanks for everything Ruben, my absolute favourite player.

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its not the generational wealth he will be getting in Saudi. Doing well isnt the same as setting up yourself, kids and grandkids. Thats the difference in this deal.
Erghhhh if fans just accept this obscene money then football will consume itself someday soon

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy for him if that’s his choice and he deserves it. We are now significantly weaker.

Next season will be a concern if we don’t invest. I can see us fighting to stay up again.

SheldonWolf

Reaction score
This is a positive move and pretty much as good as it could have gone for us.

The best money we could have hoped for.
He’s not bettering any of the teams in our league.
We don’t have to ever play against him.
Deal done early to alleviate FFP concerns and enable reinvestment pretty quickly.

(If you put aside your politics and those human rights violations of course)

It concerns me how much “influence” the Saudis are getting In English football though……

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why wouldnt you feel bad for him on a football level. Its not the competition he really wants to play in. I think he deserves to be playing at a better level. He's only entertaining the move because he is going to be paid about £2 million a month.
I don’t feel bad for him, because HE made the decision to accept the move no one has held a gun to his head.

His heart was set on a barca move, but they aren’t showing serious signs or attempts to want him, so he took a move that gives him access to multi generational wealth to set up his family for decades and decades to come.

So if he wants to earn £2m per month tax free, that was the sacrifice he made to earn mega bucks that is great for him and he his body will have less miles and wear and tear out there, so he will get his career to last longer and have more money.

Nothing is stopping him getting a move to a euro champions league club in the future.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Erghhhh if fans just accept this obscene money then football will consume itself someday soon

Like you would turn down a weekly wage of 500k that could see your family never struggling financially again. People will get on their moral high horses about it, and its fine having that attitude knowing you will never get an offer like he apparently is. Its easy to turn down a hypothetical offer. To quote Mike Tyson, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Football will never consume itself. People were saying the same thing when the Premier league started. The money will just keep rolling in because people love watching football.

I'm pleased for him he can set his family up for life. He's a top bloke and a great player.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What more can one need when you're already earning half a million a year?
To earn that salary in a week….. set up his family forever and give them an amazing life with limitless opportunities.

He is a great family man, he didn’t get the move he wanted in his heart so his set up his children and future generations with an opportunity.

I struggle to believe anyone who would turn this type of salary down if it was offered to them to go to a less challenging environment.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To earn that salary in a week….. set up his family forever and give them an amazing life with limitless opportunities.

He is a great family man, he didn’t get the move he wanted in his heart so his set up his children and future generations with an opportunity.

I struggle to believe anyone who would turn this type of salary down if it was offered to them to go to a less challenging environment.
nothing wrong with a man putting his family ahead of his ego is there..

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t feel bad for him, because HE made the decision to accept the move no one has held a gun to his head.

His heart was set on a barca move, but they aren’t showing serious signs or attempts to want him, so he took a move that gives him access to multi generational wealth to set up his family for decades and decades to come.

So if he wants to earn £2m per month tax free, that was the sacrifice he made to earn mega bucks that is great for him and he his body will have less miles and wear and tear out there, so he will get his career to last longer and have more money.

Nothing is stopping him getting a move to a euro champions league club in the future.

You dont have to feel bad for him. I'm not particularly bothered if you do or you dont. You keep saying he has made the choice, but nobody in his position is turning down the salary he is getting. Family comes first over a game of football, its the only decision he could really make.

I dont feel bad for him, just for his football. I feel bad he cant play where he would like to but as i keep saying, that kind of money has taken any other move off the table really.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You dont have to feel bad for him. I'm not particularly bothered if you do or you dont. You keep saying he has made the choice, but nobody in his position is turning down the salary he is getting. Family comes first over a game of football, its the only decision he could really make.

I dont feel bad for him, just for his football. I feel bad he cant play where he would like to but as i keep saying, that kind of money has taken any other move off the table really.
He turned down arsenal a few weeks ago, so if the champions league aspect was so important he would have gone there. So don’t feel bad for his football, he chose a great financial deal over it when he didn’t get barcelona.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What more can one need when you're already earning half a million a year?
Half a million a week lol
Seriously footballers careers are short,unless they go into management,so why are people knocking Neves for setting him and his family up for life?
Hes made a choice and good luck to him,theres still ample time to get a CL club before hes done and be financially secure so whats the problem?
Would you rather him go to Barca, where the manager doesnt want him and they dont have the means to buy him?
Or settle for some English club that wont pay above £25 mil,where he doesnt want to go?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strange career move, but (to a lesser extent) so was agreeing to come to Wolves in the Championship.
He must have total faith in the judgement of his agent Jorge Mendes.
Will Neves return to Wolves eventually? Doubt it. At 29 it’ll be time to head for home I think.
For Wolves this is an excellent deal, and with further funds potentially arising from other outgoing transfers it gives Lopetegui a chance to build a competitive team for the EPL.
29 is a players prime these days. I'd be surprised to see him head for Portugal in the height of his career, I'd be equally surprised to see him back at Wolves.

At 29 I'd expect him to move to an established CL club or for a bumper deal elsewhere.

If he ever comes back, it'll be a Moutinho-esque move in his 30's leaving time for a move back to Portugal afterwards.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pathetic? Are you serious? After all he gave for us that’s the way you sum up this possible move? He left Portugal to join Wolves for the money. Was that pathetic too?
Let’s not be naive…….players join clubs for money.
Wolves was always a stepping stone. He loved it at Wolves, but wanted to move on for Champions League football. Fair enough.

Even though it would be sad to see him leave I would follow him with interest when he left for one of the European giants.

The next step on the ladder certainly shouldn't be the Arabian league. What about the footballing part of being a footballer?

I know money is a major factor, of course it is. It's just disappointing that it is ALL about the money, even for someone like Ruben Neves entering his peak years.

R

reanswolf

My favourite Wolves player ever.

When he arrived we knew things were starting to happen for us, and he totally lived up to the hype.
He's played a massive part in our (general) premier league stability and we've finally got us some genuine footballing credibility, instead of being some 'provincial regional football club' as the Fosun shareholder document explained us as prior to buying us.

We'll always have the memories of his great goals, his massive performances when we needed them and amazing leadership. He's given us a huge part of his footballing career and I think he's genuinely enjoyed playing for us and loves the club and the fans. He'll leave as a legend.

Good fee for us, with only 1 year left on his contract, and I'm so glad he's not going to a Premier League rival.
It's sad that he's leaving, but was always going to happen - and he was probably stayed longer with us than we could have ever hoped. So fair play to him.

Incredible to think his 4 kids will forever have the name of Wolverhampton in their passports.

I wish him well in his career, I'm sure he'll be warmly welcomed if he ever comes back to visit us.

Love you Ruben.
Great post.

Sure he went home to Porto for the birth of his son though.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves was always a stepping stone. He loved it at Wolves, but wanted to move on for Champions League football. Fair enough.

Even though it would be sad to see him leave I would follow him with interest when he left for one of the European giants.

The next step on the ladder certainly shouldn't be the Arabian league. What about the footballing part of being a footballer?

I know money is a major factor, of course it is. It's just disappointing that it is ALL about the money, even for someone like Ruben Neves entering his peak years.
Have you missed the part where he is actually still playing football?
The quality will be there,maybe not top top quality,but still very high
Players like Kante Ronaldo Benzema Koualiby, to mention just a few are out there, all still playing international football
Its not a Sunday morning league and getting better every season
I know its the money factor,but hes not selling his soul,just making a career move that suits him and his family

R

reanswolf

But who else is bidding for him?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well the move involves him stepping onto a pitch with; two goals, a football, team mates, opposition and a referee.

So the football side is covered hahaha

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not true. Live in a gated compound you can do what you like. Or avoid it by living in one of the Gulf States.
True though the rules apply outside the compound. My point was that western women are still restricted in the country as a whole rather than getting a "free pass".

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree, if you were offered 10k per week to work there for a year or two you’d decline?
While I agree, it's a huge difference going from 1k per week to 10k pw, than it is going from 50k pw to 250k pw (guess) when you could go from 50k to 150k in Europe. (But the deal is great news for us, however I'm not buying the 'he has done it for us', that ridiculous, he has gone for the money)

MiddlesexWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Gutted to see him go and while the move from a footballing perspective seems strange, I think there are a few factors.

1. Barcelona have again failed to put their money where their mouth is (Not surprising).
  2. This gives Neves a substantial amount of money to fall back on, you never know when a footballer's career might end.
  3. It's only a 3 year deal, I'd expect he will either be sold back to a club in Europe next season or loaned.
  4. He will know that his sale is helping the club massively, similar to what he did at Porto

Feel so grateful to have been able to see him play for Wolves and wish him all the best.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I agree, it's a huge difference going from 1k per week to 10k pw, than it is going from 50k pw to 250k pw (guess) when you could go from 50k to 150k in Europe. (But the deal is great news for us, however I'm not buying the 'he has done it for us', that ridiculous, he has gone for the money)
As far as i know theres been no offers from Europe,but i do agree with you about him doing it for us lol,yeah right

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
One million, two million, five million.......
i remember a great quote from Larry Holmes just before he fought Mike Tyson and was asked in an interview why would you want to fight Mike Tyson as you don`t need the money and he replied another 4 million dollars never hurt anyone

Back
Top Bottom