Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Neves

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So 47million what does that give us to spend with this FFP ****e ?. Also selling your best player and captain you need to bring a statement signing in as I don't see many others in the Prem selling their best player do you ?.
Brighton, Fulham, West Ham all likely to lose key players. As it stands Gundogan has just left city on a free.

It's fair to say PL teams lose their best players on a regular basis. I've no idea what you've been watching.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry, but this is pathetic Ruben. You wanted to leave to play at the highest level... At least before someone waved a big check in front of you. It is all about the money which is sad imo.
I wonder how you'd react to a 1000% pay increase?

Personally, there's nowhere in the world (outside a warzone) I wouldn't move to for a 1000% pay rise.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As strange as it may seem, this is right out of the Saudi play book. Under MBS, like him or loathe him, they are going to attempt to make massive strides on the stage of world sport be it in golf, Formula 1 or football. They have apparently targeted 2050 for hosting the World Cup and money will be no object in increasing their world profile in the meantime. Saudi teams are about to make their mark. They will simply buy anybody who is any good, player or manager. We have got Australia in the Eurovision Song Contest, wouldn't surprise me to see Saudi Arabian teams in the Champions League. Give it 5 years. UEFA/ FIFA ain't exactly famous for being interested in human rights records. But they are certainly interested in money!
The talk of an Italian/Saudi WC bid doesn't look so crazy right now.

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still don't quite believe that he would want to play in Saudi. I mean the idea of him coming here six years ago was to showcase himself to attract Premier league or la liga big clubs. Now, in his prime, after proving himself to be a top, top player, he finally leaves us, a club he's fallen in love with, to go to Asia? I just can't get my head around it.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sure it's good news all round. Just struggling to be pleased about it.
Best way to look at it, he was going regardless, and in one last act did what he did throughout his years here, club first, himself second.

The modern day hero as said before, only player I can think of this era that would deserve a part of the ground baring his name, thus has been his contribution.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still don't quite believe that he would want to play in Saudi. I mean the idea of him coming here six years ago was to showcase himself to attract Premier league or la liga big clubs. Now, in his prime, after proving himself to be a top, top player, he finally leaves us, a club he's fallen in love with, to go to Asia? I just can't get my head around it.

500k a week is the reason. Its generational wealth. Cant blame a bloke for looking after his family.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry, but this is pathetic Ruben. You wanted to leave to play at the highest level... At least before someone waved a big check in front of you. It is all about the money which is sad imo.
Pathetic? Are you serious? After all he gave for us that’s the way you sum up this possible move? He left Portugal to join Wolves for the money. Was that pathetic too?
Let’s not be naive…….players join clubs for money.

GV Wolf

Reaction score
I’m disappointed, I wanted to see him play in the Champions League. He’s 26 no longer an up and coming player - this was his moment to go to an established big club and well he hasn’t. And if people talk about the money - he is already financially secure. He’s just sacrificed his career by going to Saudi.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
@
I’m disappointed, I wanted to see him play in the Champions League. He’s 26 no longer an up and coming player - this was his moment to go to an established big club and well he hasn’t. And if people talk about the money - he is already financially secure. He’s just sacrificed his career by going to Saudi.
He’s sacrificed nothing.
Where you say sacrificed, maybe Neves, at 26, knows that his career will continue. It won’t stop because he moves somewhere else.
Remember, his career is football and he will continue his career in Saudi Arabia.

BTW, did he get any decent offers to play in the CL? How many more years was he to keep waiting for a call that might not come?

Reaction score
I am disappointed he’s leaving for a tinpot league, would be a lot easier to stomach knowing he’d had to leave to meet his ambitions, sad he’ll not be at Wolves anymore and feels like a downgrade. That said, I do fear he’s in the grey area between our level and the very top level, and perhaps the landing space for him at other clubs is actually quite narrow, not many that are better than Wolves currently but would actually want to spend big money on him.
It sounds a lot of money for someone with only a year on his contract but equally 40odd mill is about what we’ve been spending on Silva, Guedes, Nunes, Cunha (give or take) and so feels like we could quite easily waste that, or it’s just used to pay for one of those latter two.

Will be interesting if he does end up at Newcastle evading FFP, what is done about that.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am disappointed he’s leaving for a tinpot league, would be a lot easier to stomach knowing he’d had to leave to meet his ambitions, sad he’ll not be at Wolves anymore and feels like a downgrade. That said, I do fear he’s in the grey area between our level and the very top level, and perhaps the landing space for him at other clubs is actually quite narrow, not many that are better than Wolves currently but would actually want to spend big money on him.
It sounds a lot of money for someone with only a year on his contract but equally 40odd mill is about what we’ve been spending on Silva, Guedes, Nunes, Cunha (give or take) and so feels like we could quite easily waste that, or it’s just used to pay for one of those latter two.

Will be interesting if he does end up at Newcastle evading FFP, what is done about that.
I agree with some of this. There hasn’t been a mad rush from big clubs to sign him, has there? They’ve seen his ability for the last 6 years and yet the interest in him has been lukewarm at best.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And you don't think his family can have a fantastic life style on what wolves pay him ???
Not to the same extent, no. The reported salary is mega and will elevate him and his family to the next level of lifestyle. It's all relative!

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A professional footballer is only ever one serious injury away from never getting another contract. Don't blame Ruben for one second for taking the cash and setting his family up for life and beyond
And as for the holier than thou on here, as if this entire forum wouldn't pack up and leave on the first private plane to Saudi if they were offered £20m a year tax free. Christ, I'd even convert to Albion if that was part of the deal

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feel bad for him on a football level, he's better than playing there but they are paying ridiculous money. He's set his family up for life. Can't really turn down that amount of money.

If you go, good luck Ruben. A Wolves great and you will be missed here.
Why feel bad for him on a football level? Is it the level he ideally wanted? No

But he won’t have 3 years of mileage on the body clock doing 3 years out there now earning that money. Meaning he has likely lengthened his career by a year/2 and can play at a better level a bit longer.

He agreed to the deal, not forced into it.

I think he might come back to wolves after his Saudi holiday!

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad to see him go, but from a Wolves perspective this is a fantastic deal. Better than we were hoping for, and one thats hopefully gone a long way to resolving our current issues around FFP?

Be interesting to see who will follow Ruben out the door (plenty of contenders) and whether we can pull in decent money. Wouldn’t even be shocked to see one or two more in Saudi with him next season tbh?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad to see him go, but from a Wolves perspective this is a fantastic deal. Better than we were hoping for, and one thats hopefully gone a long way to resolving our current issues around FFP?

Be interesting to see who will follow Ruben out the door (plenty of contenders) and whether we can pull in decent money. Wouldn’t even be shocked to see one or two more in Saudi with him next season tbh?
Fabio, Pod or even Neto now may fancy the big bucks league

I was more hoping Sa / RAN but we shall see

SydneyWolf26

Groupie
Reaction score
Pretty poor form that some of our fans have to take any opportunity to bash any element of the club. I wish neves all the best, his conduct has been exemplary, a true professional since the day he arrived. You can clearly see he loves the club, I am sure that whatever move he makes he will have Wolves’ interest at the back of his mind too. Who cares where he is moving to, he/his family will obviously be happy, the club will be thrilled and we should be very happy. Signing off on a positive, he never spat the dummy or gossiped to the press, just got on with his job. Deserves his move and frankly, all of our support.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio, Pod or even Neto now may fancy the big bucks league

I was more hoping Sa / RAN but we shall see
For some reason Sa and Podence came to mind in terms of players I wouldn’t be totally shocked to see over in Saudi at some point soon? Can’t see either sticking round, but also can’t see us getting amazing money elsewhere? We could prob blag £40 million odd for the pair off some Saudi club and they’d be made for life

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why feel bad for him on a football level? Is it the level he ideally wanted? No

But he won’t have 3 years of mileage on the body clock doing 3 years out there now earning that money. Meaning he has likely lengthened his career by a year/2 and can play at a better level a bit longer.

He agreed to the deal, not forced into it.

I think he might come back to wolves after his Saudi holiday!

Why wouldnt you feel bad for him on a football level. Its not the competition he really wants to play in. I think he deserves to be playing at a better level. He's only entertaining the move because he is going to be paid about £2 million a month.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a guy, what a player and an all round lovely fella who always has time for the fans.

He'll be missed for his positivity around the place.

Retire the number 8 shirt

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't say I'm not gutted, he's pretty close to being a club legend, but to be spoken of in the same breath of Bull, Wright and Cullis, he'd have had to have stayed a little longer.

I'm disappointed that he's sold out on his Champions League dream, but that's up to him, but on the plus side £47m is a massive amount of money and more or less sorts the FFP gap and puts us back on an even keel, from now on any sales can be reinvested.

jeb01

Reaction score
Strange career move, but (to a lesser extent) so was agreeing to come to Wolves in the Championship.
He must have total faith in the judgement of his agent Jorge Mendes.
Will Neves return to Wolves eventually? Doubt it. At 29 it’ll be time to head for home I think.
For Wolves this is an excellent deal, and with further funds potentially arising from other outgoing transfers it gives Lopetegui a chance to build a competitive team for the EPL.

haveaniceday

Groupie
Reaction score
Incredible fee for us and (further) life changing money for our captain and his family. So pleased we won’t be seeing him line up against Wolves in the near future and slightly disappointed to not see him fulfil his UCL dream but there’s plenty of time still for that. Best Wolves player I’ve seen in my lifetime and he’ll always be a legend in my eyes and this move does notting to tarnish that.

I hope on some level he wanted his departure to help Wolves financially and thats why he chose Saudi, it’d make me love him even more.

Lets crack on with the rebuild!

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not to the same extent, no. The reported salary is mega and will elevate him and his family to the next level of lifestyle. It's all relative!
What more can one need when you're already earning half a million a year?

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s no evidence to say he isn’t either
Well there wouldn't be. It's not likely they'd say we're spending £47million on a player we're immediately loaning out.
Its highly unlikely and would be a 1 off as authorities would immediately ban such things. It would also bring the Saudi takeover back into the spotlight and I doubt they would want that with things going well.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My favourite Wolves player ever.

When he arrived we knew things were starting to happen for us, and he totally lived up to the hype.
He's played a massive part in our (general) premier league stability and we've finally got us some genuine footballing credibility, instead of being some 'provincial regional football club' as the Fosun shareholder document explained us as prior to buying us.

We'll always have the memories of his great goals, his massive performances when we needed them and amazing leadership. He's given us a huge part of his footballing career and I think he's genuinely enjoyed playing for us and loves the club and the fans. He'll leave as a legend.

Good fee for us, with only 1 year left on his contract, and I'm so glad he's not going to a Premier League rival.
It's sad that he's leaving, but was always going to happen - and he was probably stayed longer with us than we could have ever hoped. So fair play to him.

Incredible to think his 4 kids will forever have the name of Wolverhampton in their passports.

I wish him well in his career, I'm sure he'll be warmly welcomed if he ever comes back to visit us.

Love you Ruben.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
This move has been in the pipeline a while if you want to read a whole bunch into the message that Neves sent to Mouthino.

Personally I wish Neves the very best, he's created many amazing moments to enjoy as a Wolves fan, and gave us an additional year after many of us (and him too based on that emotional last game last season) thought he was on his way. Not only that, an additional crappy year, fighting relegation, while remaining stoic as the team Captain while there was some obvious unrest going on behind the scenes.

If an addition to that we've played Barcelona as a patsy then all the better after they way they've played silly buggers with us.

Best of luck Ruben, hope it works out.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm also disappointed he isn't going to a club that has the potential to win worthwhile trophys but non of us really know what the driver is for him personally.
It seems its only really Wolves fans actually rate him so highly. None of the top teams have made a sensible offer for him over the last few years.
Looks to me like he's guaranteed his family's financial future while at the same time getting Wolves out of a financial hole.

Back
Top Bottom