Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Neto

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think if Julen can get the team firing and confident with sarabia and Cunha now here, when Neto starts playing again I think we will see pre-Lage Neto return, he just looked super frustrated under Lage and having to try and do it all himself then got re-injured which is no surprise with the apparant lack of fitness work they did under Lage.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Me too, for a lot of the reasons below!

I think this might be an issue for Neto longer-term and why I'm not sure he will be a starter for Lopetegui.

A lot of people were previously saying that Neto hadn't got back to his best after his first kneecap injury, or that he was rubbish under Lage like most of our team.

I think there are reasons other than his injuries for that and there were actually signs of it as early as Nuno's last season here.

There's been some significant events in the last few seasons, but in a nutshell, our style of play has been generally along these lines.....

18/19 - Nuno's first PL season, counter-attacking (7th)
19/20 - Nuno's second PL season, counter-attacking (7th)
20/21 - Nuno's third PL season, trying to change to a possession based side, playing a back 4, Raul's injury didn't help (13th)
21/22 - "Brunoball!" Well for 3 games and 3 defeats, then a more pragmatic, possession-based style (10th)
22/23 - ??? Lage and Davis clown-show, followed by Lopetegui, possession-based

Neto joined in the 19/20 season, the season in which he had the most impact on games statistically, based on his 'with' and 'without' Points Per Game record in the Premier League.

19/20 - PPG With 1.68, PPG Without 1.11

He had more goals and assists the following season (20/21), in fewer games, but his overall impact was not as striking, again based on his 'with' and 'without' record in the Premier League. Although we were still better off for having him in the team.

20/21 - PPG With 1.22, PPG Without 1.00

Could this small drop off in his overall impact be due to changing how we played? He was clearly far more impactful in a counter-attacking team, with the team picking up 0.57 more points per game on average in 19/20, compared to just 0.22 more PPG in 20/21, when Nuno tried to change us to more of a possession based side.

He picked up his kneecap injury at the end of this season, ruling him out of the last 7 games of 20/21. He then didn't play again until February of the 21/22 season, playing in the last 13 league games, which coincided with a huge slump in results.

His PPG with and without for that season doesn't make good reading.

21/22 - PPG With 0.84, PPG Without 1.60

Lage liked to play with inverted wingers. Combining this with a possession-based, slower buildup, meant a lot of our success in the early part of the 21/22 season was using Trincao, Podence and Hwang, who are all probably comfortable coming narrower. Adama was even used in an inverted wide role quite a bit and came inside a lot more when playing in his more comfortable right wing position.

Even Trincao's record of 1.21 PPG that season was much better than Neto's.

This season, Neto played in all of the games under Lage. Again, we have picked up more points without him in the side.

22/23 - PPG With 0.75, PPG Without 0.92

The issues for Neto are similar to the ones Adama is facing under Lopetegui. All Neto's best work for us has come as part of a counter-attacking setup, where using his explosiveness has really been of benefit to him and us.

As soon as Nuno tried to change the way we played, his influence became less and less. Then under Lage, it dropped off a cliff.

Lopetegui's ideas aren't that dissimilar to Lage, he's just clearly a lot better at implementing those ideas. Sarabia is Lopetegui's Trincao. A slower, less explosive player than Neto, but one who can create more chances in a possession based side.

It's easy to forget that we have only really seen 2 full seasons of Neto, both under Nuno. He's done nothing of note and not really had a positive impact on results ever since.

The questions over Neto are two-fold.

1) Does he even possess the same explosiveness pre-injuries?
2) Does he have the ability to create and score chances in a purely possession-based side?

As it stands, he will probably be behind Sarabia, Podence and Cunha for the wide roles. He's then competing against Adama and Ait-Nouri for the explosive, impact-sub role.

I've always wondered if he might have a future centrally maybe?

Interesting to see how Lopetegui sees it and how he is used!!
This is crazy, I was just writing this almost word for word!!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Me too, for a lot of the reasons below!

I think this might be an issue for Neto longer-term and why I'm not sure he will be a starter for Lopetegui.

A lot of people were previously saying that Neto hadn't got back to his best after his first kneecap injury, or that he was rubbish under Lage like most of our team.

I think there are reasons other than his injuries for that and there were actually signs of it as early as Nuno's last season here.

There's been some significant events in the last few seasons, but in a nutshell, our style of play has been generally along these lines.....

18/19 - Nuno's first PL season, counter-attacking (7th)
19/20 - Nuno's second PL season, counter-attacking (7th)
20/21 - Nuno's third PL season, trying to change to a possession based side, playing a back 4, Raul's injury didn't help (13th)
21/22 - "Brunoball!" Well for 3 games and 3 defeats, then a more pragmatic, possession-based style (10th)
22/23 - ??? Lage and Davis clown-show, followed by Lopetegui, possession-based

Neto joined in the 19/20 season, the season in which he had the most impact on games statistically, based on his 'with' and 'without' Points Per Game record in the Premier League.

19/20 - PPG With 1.68, PPG Without 1.11

He had more goals and assists the following season (20/21), in fewer games, but his overall impact was not as striking, again based on his 'with' and 'without' record in the Premier League. Although we were still better off for having him in the team.

20/21 - PPG With 1.22, PPG Without 1.00

Could this small drop off in his overall impact be due to changing how we played? He was clearly far more impactful in a counter-attacking team, with the team picking up 0.57 more points per game on average in 19/20, compared to just 0.22 more PPG in 20/21, when Nuno tried to change us to more of a possession based side.

He picked up his kneecap injury at the end of this season, ruling him out of the last 7 games of 20/21. He then didn't play again until February of the 21/22 season, playing in the last 13 league games, which coincided with a huge slump in results.

His PPG with and without for that season doesn't make good reading.

21/22 - PPG With 0.84, PPG Without 1.60

Lage liked to play with inverted wingers. Combining this with a possession-based, slower buildup, meant a lot of our success in the early part of the 21/22 season was using Trincao, Podence and Hwang, who are all probably comfortable coming narrower. Adama was even used in an inverted wide role quite a bit and came inside a lot more when playing in his more comfortable right wing position.

Even Trincao's record of 1.21 PPG that season was much better than Neto's.

This season, Neto played in all of the games under Lage. Again, we have picked up more points without him in the side.

22/23 - PPG With 0.75, PPG Without 0.92

The issues for Neto are similar to the ones Adama is facing under Lopetegui. All Neto's best work for us has come as part of a counter-attacking setup, where using his explosiveness has really been of benefit to him and us.

As soon as Nuno tried to change the way we played, his influence became less and less. Then under Lage, it dropped off a cliff.

Lopetegui's ideas aren't that dissimilar to Lage, he's just clearly a lot better at implementing those ideas. Sarabia is Lopetegui's Trincao. A slower, less explosive player than Neto, but one who can create more chances in a possession based side.

It's easy to forget that we have only really seen 2 full seasons of Neto, both under Nuno. He's done nothing of note and not really had a positive impact on results ever since.

The questions over Neto are two-fold.

1) Does he even possess the same explosiveness pre-injuries?
2) Does he have the ability to create and score chances in a purely possession-based side?

As it stands, he will probably be behind Sarabia, Podence and Cunha for the wide roles. He's then competing against Adama and Ait-Nouri for the explosive, impact-sub role.

I've always wondered if he might have a future centrally maybe?

Interesting to see how Lopetegui sees it and how he is used!!
You know I was joking about leaving your job, wife and child so you could get back to doing some proper analysis right?

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many games does he get before he's completely written off?
Tbf I was finding him very frustrating under Lage but probably didn't realise how bad the whole era/Brunoball was at the time. Think he's got his head down run to byline lack of football intelligence at times, but got potential to be world class with his skills & with his pace. Which hopefully he's still got.
Be like a new signing ;)

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When he is ready bring him back into the side very gradually. He started on something like his 3rd game back in the squad last time (Palace, was it?) and was so far off the player he was 12 months before.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Tbf I was finding him very frustrating under Lage but probably didn't realise how bad the whole era/Brunoball was at the time. Think he's got his head down run to byline lack of football intelligence at times, but got potential to be world class with his skills & with his pace. Which hopefully he's still got.
Be like a new signing ;)
He appeared to find playing under Lage frustrating too. That tackle he made, where he got injured again, was one of sheer frustration.

It'll be interesting to see where Lopetegui would play him, our new coach definitely has an eye for players abilities and placing them in roles that maybe even they hadn't thought of (think RAN).

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One injury too many?
Didn´t look great after Fulham..now bearing another scare on him.
Jury´s out I think...
Wish the lad all the best,was on the treashold of something really special with us before that Fulham match.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He appeared to find playing under Lage frustrating too. That tackle he made, where he got injured again, was one of sheer frustration.

It'll be interesting to see where Lopetegui would play him, our new coach definitely has an eye for players abilities and placing them in roles that maybe even they hadn't thought of (think RAN).

He was selfish, petulant and playing for a move IMO.

Having said that Lage was a ****. Absolutely certain Julen will get him going.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does neto drop out of the match day squad when boubacar traore and podence are fit?
I was looking at the bench and thinking maybe raul and otto could drop out. Costa is ahead of raul and lemina could replace semedo.
I think we need a poll to gauge opinion?

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
Does neto drop out of the match day squad when boubacar traore and podence are fit?
I was looking at the bench and thinking maybe raul and otto could drop out. Costa is ahead of raul and lemina could replace semedo.
I think we need a poll to gauge opinion?
Neto starts. He is a star.

Reaction score
LOL......Imagine if he had pulled something doing that ......
That was my first thought when I heard Mikey Burrows say it on comms (would be classic Wolves luck). Actually, second: I was confused how he’d been booked when I hadn’t heard him being subbed on (thought they might have made a bigger deal of his return ).

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love this so much. The Wolves media team aren't just amazing but they also bother to look into what Wolves fans are discussing at any time and play with it, really brings the club closer to the fans imo.
He runs aggressively fits perfectly

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I love this so much. The Wolves media team aren't just amazing but they also bother to look into what Wolves fans are discussing at any time and play with it, really brings the club closer to the fans imo.
Helps when they don’t have 100 responses saying sign some players :D

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FGzS7AwX0AQtDyR.jpg

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neto Cunha Sarabia

But he needs his fitness and confidence back. And to run with his head up and play for the team.

Julen will get him firing.
If he doesn't I imagine he'd be off. This team needs forwards who play intelligently and play passes at the right time, not just run to the byline and get it back across.
At his best Neto can be VERY good, that pace is deadly. Good luck Costa keeping up with him and Cunha!

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It makes me nervous players like Neto in u21. He's so much quicker in speed and thought than players at that level which leaves him vulnerable to bad tackles

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It makes me nervous players like Neto in u21. He's so much quicker in speed and thought than players at that level which leaves him vulnerable to bad tackles
Was thinking the same thing. I think I'd prefer him to build up his match fitness gradually with minutes here and there from the bench.

Back
Top Bottom