Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Neil Warnock

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
Had a chat with him today at a book signing for his new book.

Says he met with Jez and Morgan about the manager job after Mick was sacked at Morgans house. Morgan asked him what he thought of the team and he said the defence was awful, the midfield not bad and that they would score goals ok.

He got the offer from Leeds just before the meeting so after talking to Morgan asked if they could get back to him within 24 hrs so he could let Ken Bates know what he was doing.

Morgan got back to him the next day and said he was in the top 3. Warnock said if your not sure after the meeting then I'm not the man for you and signed for Leeds.

This is all in his book but I got the impression that he would have taken the job if offered over Leeds, even though his son was at Leeds. He also spoke fondly of Billy Wright who had taken the time to talk to him about football when he was a young man.

I know a lot of people dislike him but I would have liked to see him here after Mick to see what he could have done. We could have done with a strong personality at that point.

Wouldn't have minded him as a dof in the new set up also tbh.

mikic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hate the $$$$, BUT really could have done with him last yr

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reckon he would have made a decent fist of keeping us up, and probably could have got us promoted again, but he's not a man I want associated with Wolves, really.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would have have made a better fist of things instead of TC & probably done a lot better for us last season (given our personnel) but in the long term it would have made no sense.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reckon he would have made a decent fist of keeping us up, and probably could have got us promoted again, but he's not a man I want associated with Wolves, really.

I met him at his house in Sheffield, he was in his full Sheff Utd outfit, but I think he might've been going shopping! Seemed a really nice bloke, and he always speaks highly of wolves whenever he commentates on our games or about us, about our history and good fans.

I'd like to see him actually have 1 good effort at the Premier, I remember the game v West Brom where he basically got the game called off, made me laugh at the time.

W

wolf1877

He said on the radio this morning, (was a guest on talksport) that at the interview with Morgan and Moxey (after Mick got sacked) he told them he thought our defence was the 2nd worst in the league behind wigans and it desperately needed improving. He could see what everyone else could, our defence has been **** for years.

Chungster

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I met him at his house in Sheffield, he was in his full Sheff Utd outfit, but I think he might've been going shopping! Seemed a really nice bloke, and he always speaks highly of wolves whenever he commentates on our games or about us, about our history and good fans.

I'd like to see him actually have 1 good effort at the Premier, I remember the game v West Brom where he basically got the game called off, made me laugh at the time.

Made you laugh?

I know it was against 'them' but what Warnock did that day should have seen him booted out of the game.

Despicable.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it was wrong, but just listening to the radio after some of the tescos going off on one was funny. He was never going to get away with it points-wise but just the cheek of getting it stopped was surprising.

I'm glad we didn't get him in to the molineux, but instead of TC or Deano I know who I'd choose.

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score

I find that interesting, would you be OK with Leigh Griffiths back at the club?

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually like Warnock simply for how dignified he was when we beat Sheff Utd in the Play-off final. After the season Sheff Utd had (finished 3rd, FA Cup Semi Final loss) and the way in which that match went in certain periods with decisions going against Sheff Utd, the mic went straight to Warnock in the press room almost understandably expecting a Warnock tirade, he didn't even want to talk about that and completely put it to one side and was just full of admiration and praise for us, talked about how happy he was that we had got up for Dave, Sir Jack & the fans - never in my many, many years of watching football and seeing and being involved in big games have I saw a losing opposition manager react in that way, it was classy, a word you rarely associate with Neil Warnock.

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
I actually like Warnock simply for how dignified he was when we beat Sheff Utd in the Play-off final. After the season Sheff Utd had (finished 3rd, FA Cup Semi Final loss) and the way in which that match went in certain periods with decisions going against Sheff Utd, the mic went straight to Warnock in the press room almost understandably expecting a Warnock tirade, he didn't even want to talk about that and completely put it to one side and was just full of admiration and praise for us, talked about how happy he was that we had got up for Dave, Sir Jack & the fans - never in my many, many years of watching football and seeing and being involved in big games have I saw a losing opposition manager react in that way, it was classy, a word you rarely associate with Neil Warnock.

It was this reaction that totally changed my opinion of him.

T

The Professor

Could you imagine him as our manager playing against the TCB's? Dynamite!

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Might have kept us up but would have offered nothing for the future development of the club's football culture.

DawleyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always liked Neil Warnock as a character - he clearly had a good insight into the Wolves team at the time

I am not sure how players react to his histrionics, but he surely shows the passion that we have lacked for a year or more - could not have been worse than what unfolded

G

gordonchas

Made you laugh?

I know it was against 'them' but what Warnock did that day should have seen him booted out of the game.

Despicable.

Really? What do you think he actually did?

Warnock ensured that two of the players sent off that day never played for Sheffield United again.

M

Mugwump

He is an improved version of the fake irishman. His record proves it. Not saying i want him as manager but for what we want to achieve short term he would probably have been the best option

K

kapitiwolf

Warnock outside of football must be an interesting person to get to talk about his experiences within the game.But no not as manager/head coach of my football club thankyou.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a good man. Met him on many occasions. Sometimes speaks out of turn but so what. When you meet him it's hard to marry up the guy who wanted Bully's leg broken with the good egg that's stood in front of you.
Wouldn't want him as manager of Wolves though.

H

howling wolf

He was on the Monday Night Club this week along with Coyle. Worth a listen if you have time.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know a lot of people dislike him but I would have liked to see him here after Mick to see what he could have done. We could have done with a strong personality at that point.

He hated us after Scarborough and then was a horrible bloke at Notts County, but after that Sheff Utd play off final he gave us a really gracious speech when he didn't need to.

Still wouldn't want him here because of his hoofball, but having seen what happened anyway...who knows?

Chungster

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really? What do you think he actually did?

Warnock ensured that two of the players sent off that day never played for Sheffield United again.

Let's just say I have never been convinced that Sheffield United were a team 'out of control' during the latter stages of that game.

D

Deleted member 4099

I dislike his persona on the touchline but have to say every time I hear him speak he impresses me. He was on talk sport yesterday. Sounded like a really top bloke. Proper football man.

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't pay too much attention to what managers do or say outside of the game so don't know any of Warnock's bad side, but it's clear he respects and maybe even has a soft spot for us. To be honest I don't find him bad at all, and although I think his football is a thing of the past I prefer his personality to the likes of Mourinho.

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I remember this well - very dignified, and struck me as being a "proper bloke", to quote a certain former manager of ours.

W

wolvesman

Had a chat with him today at a book signing for his new book.

Says he met with Jez and Morgan about the manager job after Mick was sacked at Morgans house. Morgan asked him what he thought of the team and he said the defence was awful, the midfield not bad and that they would score goals ok.

He got the offer from Leeds just before the meeting so after talking to Morgan asked if they could get back to him within 24 hrs so he could let Ken Bates know what he was doing.

Morgan got back to him the next day and said he was in the top 3. Warnock said if your not sure after the meeting then I'm not the man for you and signed for Leeds.

This is all in his book but I got the impression that he would have taken the job if offered over Leeds, even though his son was at Leeds. He also spoke fondly of Billy Wright who had taken the time to talk to him about football when he was a young man.

Wouldn't have minded him as a dof in the new set up also tbh.

Interesting story. Different to the one I heard that he didn't get an interview with WWFC of any type as such but he himself did flag an interest with us. Quite like the bloke at times. Why he dropped his big forward (name forgotten)just before Cardiff remains a mystery to me and him apparently. Glad he did though.

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
He was on the Monday Night Club this week along with Coyle. Worth a listen if you have time.

I listened to some of that. Thought Coyle was embarrassing when Dave Wheelan called in - gushing over him - a clear 'come and get me' message for the Wigan job IMO.

A

andyc225

People don't like him because he's the type who does absolutely everything necessary to do what he needs to even if it involves pushing the boundaries. He's about the best lower league manager there is. He says he's "retired" now, but if he was offered a proper crack at the Premier League he'd take it.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FLEET WOLF

I don't pay too much attention to what managers do or say outside of the game so don't know any of Warnock's bad side, but it's clear he respects and maybe even has a soft spot for us. To be honest I don't find him bad at all, and although I think his football is a thing of the past I prefer his personality to the likes of Mourinho.

I agree, much rather him than the likes of bloody Mourinho and here's hoping he wastes a lot more of the Chelsea owner's money and achieves nothing better than Benitez (which I think may be the case).

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Our midfield was shocking (and still is) okay Jarvis and Kites were good but our central midfield was easily the worst in the league.

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think there would have been any dressing room problems with Warnock in charge he simply would not tolerate it

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good positive posting, and one I totally agree with.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have always liked Warnock. He wears his heart on his sleeve and is an old fashioned proper football man. IMV a better manager than MM and would have probably got us promoted last year.

D

Deleted member 4152

I agree, the 'break his legs' aimed at Bully was out of order thho

M

Mugwump

I remember that break Bully's legs game well. Shane Westley was blowing his top about it and trying to get to Warnock.

Last edited by a moderator:

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
NW is a true character and I really dont understand why some here seem to hate him so much. :confused::confused:

Chungster

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont understand why there is so much hate on this forum - period!

I love hating things.

I make lists of things I hate to cheer myself up when I'm down in the dumps.

Here's my latest one:

Keith Chegwin

Randomly or inappropriately administered Brown Sauce (mainly in Scotland)

Judas Priest

The Isle of Man

Theme pubs

Wet wool

Insincerity

Shoddily manufactured flat-pack furniture

Fancy dress parties

Losing big fish 6" away from the landing net

Diomansy Kamara

You can join in if you like.....

Back
Top Bottom