Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nathan Collins departure

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems almost rude to me that one of our players has been sold for £23m without a dedicated thread so I'll start one. And yes I know comments have been posted on the transfer window thread.

My thoughts on Collins.
(1) His attitude and character are first rate. Not one to sulk when he was dropped.
(2) I thought he was one of our better players early in the season when we were struggling.
(3) He has mistake or two in him but he is still very young for a central defender playing in the worlds strongest league and he will improve.
(4) He made more mistakes when he came back in after not playing regularly but that was understandable

Personally I'm not unhappy to see him leaving but I wish him all the best in his future career.
It will be very interesting to see if he establishes himself in the Premier League.

T

TheConcourse

giphy.gif

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gabby Agbonlahor (on TalkSPORT) has just said that Wolves are in massive trouble because we’ve “ … sold their best players: their best defender (Collins) has been sold to Brentford, Coady has been sold, Kilman is going to Napoli and Neves has been sold. Add to that Jimenez is not the player he was.”

Coady? Jimenez? Not new news Gabby.

So, yeah, apparently Collins is massive error by us.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Is he the new robbie keane, accumulating loads of transfer fees as he moves from club to club. Already on club number four at the age of 22 and has amassed transfer fees of 55m. Next he will be declaring brentford as his childhood club.

Had such high hopes for him, but never got settled, and looked a liability at times, but wish him well, understanding this is the right deal for all involved. Whether comparisons to brentford are welcome or not, we are on a downwards tradjectory and needs more than a sticking plaster to fix our squad, whereas brentford are on the up. Spending 20 to 30m plus on players has been our downfall, lets hope the likes of brentford make the same mistakes and we can overtake them again.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is this an end to developing expensive players in the first team ?
We don’t have the resources .

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gabby Agbonlahor (on TalkSPORT) has just said that Wolves are in massive trouble because we’ve “ … sold their best players: their best defender (Collins) has been sold to Brentford, Coady has been sold, Kilman is going to Napoli and Neves has been sold. Add to that Jimenez is not the player he was.”

I mean he’s just completely making stuff up to shoehorn a dig about Wolves. Collins might well have even been our 4th best CB, certainly based on last season, and we may well bring in someone with the cash who’ll end up being our best? Kilman is a blow in a sense, but he’s certainly no baresi ffs and it gives us huge leeway with FFP to invest to replace those leaving. The window has only been open a few days lol. What a complete tit.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems almost rude to me that one of our players has been sold for £23m without a dedicated thread so I'll start one. And yes I know comments have been posted on the transfer window thread.

My thoughts on Collins.
(1) His attitude and character are first rate. Not one to sulk when he was dropped.
(2) I thought he was one of our better players early in the season when we were struggling.
(3) He has mistake or two in him but he is still very young for a central defender playing in the worlds strongest league and he will improve.
(4) He made more mistakes when he came back in after not playing regularly but that was understandable

Personally I'm not unhappy to see him leaving but I wish him all the best in his future career.
It will be very interesting to see if he establishes himself in the Premier League.

We've just passed the potential onto somebody else for a small profit. That's alright really, needs must.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Gobby Agbinlahor (no spelling mistakes) wants to justify a job with Talk Sport and I have got no time for him at all. Not the brightest spark imo!

He just wants to have a dig at us at any opportunity.

Just remember him saying how pitiful and awful we were when losing 6-0 to Brighton. He didn’t have a clue what to say when a caller told him we beat Villa 1-0 in our next game!

Last edited:

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely not.
Collins was just too much ****,that was the problem with Nathan.
Over the moon with this deal.We have dodged a bullet and have taken Brentford for mugs in the process.
Nathan Collins will never make it anywhere near good at Prem levels.
Up to him to prove me wrong..I do not expect him doing that.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
I remember watching Lescott as a youngster at Wolves and it was obvious he was destined to be a top player. That's what I expect to see in a player with 'potential' rather than a player who lacks concentration and makes basic errors and calamitous clangers pretty much every time he plays. A different planet to Collins who always made me think of the C word... Championship!

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember watching Lescott as a youngster at Wolves and it was obvious he was destined to be a top player. That's what I expect to see in a player with 'potential' rather than a player who lacks concentration and makes basic errors and calamitous clangers pretty much every time he plays. A different planet to Collins who always made me think of the C word... Championship!
Agree.
I really don´t see any potential whatsoever in Collins.
Old Neill was almost as good,and I didn´t rated Neill Collins at all back then.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with that. Clearly not in the same class as Lescott. IMO Collins is not comfortable enough on the ball to be top class.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves and Jota were developed and were a success. Too much paid for Fabio but the lad does have talent. Gomes is being developed. Ultimately its a case of picking the right players to develop. Collins wasnt good enough for a 20m fee IMO.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair to Lescott when he was with us he was a big fish in a small pond. Playing in the championship for a top 6 team meant he didn’t have as much defending to do and was a rolls Royce in a Ford fiesta race. On the flip side Collins has been chucked into a team consistently under the cosh and playing against the best players in the world.

NewOrder306

Groupie
Reaction score
To be fair to Lescott when he was with us he was a big fish in a small pond. Playing in the championship for a top 6 team meant he didn’t have as much defending to do and was a rolls Royce in a Ford fiesta race. On the flip side Collins has been chucked into a team consistently under the cosh and playing against the best players in the world.
YEP, think that's a good point but still think we have dodged a bullet there, he was not a footballer, he can play football.... but I think its a win/win here.

Reaction score
I think its a good sign that JLO is having a big say in signings, he clearly wants defenders (and a goalkeeper) who are comfortable on the ball, Collins was clearly not so JLO was happy to see him go. If Kilman were to be sold this would contradict my theory though so i'd be more worried. For all his faults he's very comfortable on the ball and playing out from the back.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Possibly an end to such expensive development projects; you probably have as much chance of developing a £10m player into a top player as you do a £20m+ one.

If spending £20M+ it wants to be for someone instantly ready for the here and now.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
collins may develop into the next john stones. but at present he is john stones when city bought him. i.e. a big mistake every game . clearly JL doesnt see the potential. i back JL

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As long as JL sticks with the job for a few seasons, then I don’t mind him clearing out talent that he doesn’t see as part of his plans.

I saw potential in Collins, but didn’t expect to see much of him this season.

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Is he the new robbie keane, accumulating loads of transfer fees as he moves from club to club. Already on club number four at the age of 22 and has amassed transfer fees of 55m. Next he will be declaring brentford as his childhood club.

Had such high hopes for him, but never got settled, and looked a liability at times, but wish him well, understanding this is the right deal for all involved. Whether comparisons to brentford are welcome or not, we are on a downwards tradjectory and needs more than a sticking plaster to fix our squad, whereas brentford are on the up. Spending 20 to 30m plus on players has been our downfall, lets hope the likes of brentford make the same mistakes and we can overtake them again.
Well that explains a lot, if he's off to join his boyhood club!

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got to trust JL that he's seen enough of him to believe he won't ever be first choice and the money from his sale can be spent on someone he rates. I'll take his opinion over Agbonlabore.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same. Collins clearly has ability but he looks nowhere near lescott, richards, et al to me. More blood and thunder. Lots of effort but lacks footballing nous and on the ball ability. They made the odd clanger but oozed quality the rest of the time and made it look easy.

Definitely a player there but hard to know if he'll become a top defender until he has more experience. He's playing at a very young age and so in some ways it's unfair to judge him negatively other than to say he wasn't ready for us. With an experienced head he'll do better.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think its a good sign that JLO is having a big say in signings, he clearly wants defenders (and a goalkeeper) who are comfortable on the ball, Collins was clearly not so JLO was happy to see him go. If Kilman were to be sold this would contradict my theory though so i'd be more worried. For all his faults he's very comfortable on the ball and playing out from the back.
If Sarabia and Cunha are examples of JLo’s idea of what succeeds in the Premier League then I do worry about how all this will end

On topic, this sale is a mistsake.
Good luck Nathan, sorry to see you go

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And here are todays football results

Fulham 2 Wolverhampton 0

Man of the match Nathan Collins.

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually don't think Collins is that bad of a player and definitely has some potential but he always reminded me of Stearman he makes rash decisions and lacks concentration.

Getting our money back and then some on someone who the current regime clearly don't rate too highly as he was 4th choice isn't a bad decision at all.

V Wolf

Reaction score
Feel like this is the kind of transfer Fosun had in mind from the start - bring in high potential players and move them on quickly for profit. Good for Collins as he will get consistent playing time, good for us as we now get to show high-potential young players that we will help advance their careers no matter how they do here. Could help us attract better prospects, but we may have to get used to the idea of being set up as a 'development club' for a while to come.

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
Good luck Nathan, sensible choice for both parties and Hobbs has included some protection for the club in the deal. Let’s look to the future (oh, and I really don’t give a fig about anything that Agbonlahor spouts )

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Collins was disappointing
He will do OK at Brentford suits their long ball game sit deeper not really expected to play out

Probably have a decent 0rej career, just a case of good player but at wrong club or wrong time

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would have kept him. When he is 26 he will IMO be a far better defender than Max Kilman is now. I would have preferred him in a back four with Dawson (did we ever see that?) and I think in a year or two we will begin to see him develop into a good PL centre half.

The comments from Hobbs regarding his sale will go down as some of the strangest I have saw about a departure. There are contradictions left right and centre. Either that, or it is time to accept we literally are a selling club. And by that, I mean selling a player the moment we see a chance of a small margin of profit.

I guess his sale is indicative of the situation we are in. He is someone who a club is prepared to spend money on, we need money, JL wants to build his own team/squad so with all that in mind.. it is a relatively easy decision to make given Julen was not playing him as part of the prefferred 11.

Collins is however is potentially an example of someone where if this season does not go to plan, it will be looked back on as a bad decision. I am all for backing the manager, I do believe he should have first and final say, but something about Lopetegui does not fill me with massive confidence. I hope I am proved wrong.

This one has split opinion a little. I think the Kilman one will too if we accept £35m for him. Personally I think that would be a good sale given imv he is not a good centre half in a back four, entering arguably his peak years.

However, I would not be surprised if, given our current situation of sell to buy and who was making the first 11 under JL - if Pedro Neto gets sold if a fee of around £30m comes in. That again ticks all the boxes that the previous sales have this summer. I think that would test fans resolve quite a lot.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True, I also remember thinking Mancienne (sp) would be a premier league star after his championship showings.

Don’t know if he had the option, but Collins would have probably served himself well had he gone down with Burnley for last season.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh and never listen to a word Gabby Agbonlahor talks about. I quite like TalkSport but they lose pretty much all credibility having someone with such a low IQ onto there channel. As far as box ticking goes, I can only imagine they are ticking a box for people with low intelligence. Do some listeners find him relatable for that reason? Although having said that, I am a thick **** and still cannot bare him.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
I would have kept him. When he is 26 he will IMO be a far better defender than Max Kilman is now. I would have preferred him in a back four with Dawson (did we ever see that?) and I think in a year or two we will begin to see him develop into a good PL centre half.

The comments from Hobbs regarding his sale will go down as some of the strangest I have saw about a departure. There are contradictions left right and centre. Either that, or it is time to accept we literally are a selling club. And by that, I mean selling a player the moment we see a chance of a small margin of profit.

I guess his sale is indicative of the situation we are in. He is someone who a club is prepared to spend money on, we need money, JL wants to build his own team/squad so with all that in mind.. it is a relatively easy decision to make given Julen was not playing him as part of the prefferred 11.

Collins is however is potentially an example of someone where if this season does not go to plan, it will be looked back on as a bad decision. I am all for backing the manager, I do believe he should have first and final say, but something about Lopetegui does not fill me with massive confidence. I hope I am proved wrong.

This one has split opinion a little. I think the Kilman one will too if we accept £35m for him. Personally I think that would be a good sale given imv he is not a good centre half in a back four, entering arguably his peak years.

However, I would not be surprised if, given our current situation of sell to buy and who was making the first 11 under JL - if Pedro Neto gets sold if a fee of around £30m comes in. That again ticks all the boxes that the previous sales have this summer. I think that would test fans resolve quite a lot.

There's more chance of the Hawthorns getting selected to host an England international than us getting an offer of 30 million for Neto this summer.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's more chance of the Hawthorns getting selected to host an England international than us getting an offer of 30 million for Neto this summer.
If we are attracting offers of £20-25m for Fabio Silva, £30m + for Max Kilman then if interest mounted in Neto we can easily demand £30m, easy.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
If we are attracting offers of £20-25m for Fabio Silva, £30m + for Max Kilman then if interest mounted in Neto we can easily demand £30m, easy.
I haven't seen anywhere where a club is prepared to offer 25 million for Silva.If so, that's great news. Where has that come from?

You clearly don't rate Kilman, but perhaps the Italian champions offering a large sum may make that assessment worth reconsidering.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Collins was unlucky to be dropped as he was performing better than Kilman when Dawson was brought it.
Thought he had the potential to be a future Wolves captain....... But obviously not in Julens plans so if we can make a profit ( no matter how small) then may as well move him on.
I would hope we have someone better than him coming in though.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s been done to death but he was thrown in at the deep end to the extent where I can’t think of another example of a 21 year old centre back with so little experience being given so much responsibility in such a senior role at such a high level.

It shows the ineptitude of Lage’s man management and understanding of the mental side of the game.

Good luck to him, I hope he goes on to have a great career (which he will) and proves a lot of people on here wrong (which he will).

Back
Top Bottom