Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Name any other club who play 3 players whose legs have gone?

R

reanswolf

I get absolutely no joy in saying this, especially regards our wonderful Joao Moutinho, and Jonny who simply can’t turn any more, as well as Costa, but these 3 are so immobile that the remaining 7 outfield players are on a hiding to nothing. They should be used sparingly NOT as first teamers.

We instantly looked more mobile when Traore came on in last 5 minutes, and Jonny was simply pulled apart. Costa was a passenger.

So disappointed in Davis because his team for Palace looked spot on, so why revert to this? Unless there were injuries to Semedo, Traore, what was he thinking. As well as playing Nunes in a stupidly unfamiliar role.

The striker position is a nightmare for us, but start Semedo and Traore over Jonny and Mouts, and we would have been competitive so that was of our own making.

Having a 34 year old striker and a 36 year old CM, and a right- back who is now defensively susceptible, are factors that will be severely punished in the the premier league.

No more Cozy Club !!

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho and Jonny wouldn’t be starting for me from this point forward. Costa should be playing the odd 45 mins. We lack pace, power and aggression and may as well try and put as much as we can muster out there until we can rectify it

I’d be strongly tempted to go 5 at the back, something like Semedo Collins Kilman Gomes and Ait Nouri, with Nunes, Neves and B Traore. We need to be far more solid.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I really felt for Moutinho yesterday, an hour in when the crowd were turning and half the team were hiding, he was driving himself to try to keep the team going. However it's just not in his legs to cover the ground. Jonny put in one of the worst performances I can remember, the mistake that ended up in the first goal summed his day up. Much as I'd love a fitter option up top, I don't think Costa is a passenger, he doesn't put in the yards, but his experience is invaluable in this side. I just wish he could remember how to score.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I really felt for Moutinho yesterday, an hour in when the crowd were turning and half the team were hiding, he was driving himself to try to keep the team going. However it's just not in his legs to cover the ground. Jonny put in one of the worst performances I can remember, the mistake that ended up in the first goal summed his day up. Much as I'd love a fitter option up top, I don't think Costa is a passenger, he doesn't put in the yards, but his experience is invaluable in this side. I just wish he could remember how to score.

There’s signs with Costa that it’s coming. Getting into the right positions to score and starting to look a little fitter.

It’s a crazy situation though that a player who hadn’t started a European game for 2 years before joining us has had to start 3 games in a week. Especially when we have a £35m striker on our books not even at the club.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Costa is showing some really good awareness around the box and should have had a hand in two or three goals by now with the chances he's been involved in, he's just looking like a player that has barely played for a year

We need another striker in January and if we can't have one lined up for January 1st then I think we need to go cap in hand to Anderlecht to get Silva back. His running and work rate alone would be a massive help for us, and his head won't drop like some of the players we have at the moment

T

TheConcourse

There was a good 10 minutes in the 2nd half where Jonny looked like he’d been right hooked by Fury.

Bouncing off players, wasn’t reacting to the ball, couldn’t run. Genuinely stuck on the ropes.

Fitness levels are dire.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
There was a good 10 minutes in the 2nd half where Jonny looked like he’d been right hooked by Fury.

Bouncing off players, wasn’t reacting to the ball, couldn’t run. Genuinely stuck on the ropes.

Fitness levels are dire.
Think that’s the biggest issue that they are mainly unfit and playing with niggly injuries

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho is a bit of a tricky one as i dont think his legs have actually gone as such. We are trying to use him as a key player who will play every game, where his role should be maybe starting every 3 or 4 game or coming on for the last 20 mins or so if we need him. Its not like he is giving up, he's still giving it everything but he cant do what he used to week in week out.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho is a bit of a tricky one as i dont think his legs have actually gone as such. We are trying to use him as a key player who will play every game, where his role should be maybe starting every 3 or 4 game or coming on for the last 20 mins or so if we need him. Its not like he is giving up, he's still giving it everything but he cant do what he used to week in week out.
I know what you mean Mug. I still think Joao covers a lot of ground, but he never really had pace, and the inevitable loss with age finds him run around, bypassed or making late niggly tackles.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree actually. Moutinho being left out there and being hopelessly exposed is not down to him not trying. He puts the effort in, I think that’s fairly clear to see, he just doesn’t have the legs for the pace/power of the premier league now. Doesn’t mean he’s ****, just that we shouldn’t be expecting him to run around, closing spaces, pressing to win the ball back. He needs using to maintain possession and keep the ball moving when 3-0 up imo.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree actually. Moutinho being left out there and being hopelessly exposed is not down to him not trying. He puts the effort in, I think that’s fairly clear to see, he just doesn’t have the legs for the pace/power of the premier league now. Doesn’t mean he’s ****, just that we shouldn’t be expecting him to run around, closing spaces, pressing to win the ball back. He needs using to maintain possession and keep the ball moving when 3-0 up imo.
3-0 up? Well if that’s his role he’s finished here!

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Moutinho is getting some unfair stick. Playing no worse then Nunes but is getting left out to dry.
I don't think he's been great but he's also not been bad either.

Issue is him and Neves are getting asked to play the same position

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho can operate in tight areas as his intelligence helps us tick over and keep the ball but as soon as the game gets even remotely stretched you can forget about him having any positive impact.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't put Costa in the same category as the other two but yep, Jonny and Moutinho are major problems.

It's so frustrating when we have Semedo and Traore ready to come in for both. Both would upgrade the team immensely and add so much more in terms of helping us competing physically.

Jonny was that bad yesterday that I genuinely wouldn't want him to play for us again. No anger towards him, we know what he's been through but I went from anger to embarrassment and felling sorry for him yesterday. It's ruined his career and it's terrible but he simply cannot move/turn as he used to and doesn't have the power and intensity that made him such a strong defender. So sad.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Moutinho is getting some unfair stick. Playing no worse then Nunes but is getting left out to dry.
I don't think he's been great but he's also not been bad either.

Issue is him and Neves are getting asked to play the same position
Agreed! Nunes has been really poor other than the odd flash of skill or driving run. I guess the thing is that Nunes has the ability and will develop (or at least it’s hoped so for £38m) whereas there is only regression for Moutinho now. I think many (myself included) will point to the midfield being run/walked through because of the lack of energy, aggression and athleticism, and unfortunately Moutinho is a large part of that problem. Nunes may not be playing to his potential atm, but there is at least hope he will do something different/it will click for him and he is able to get around the pitch, same for B Traore,l. But for Moutinho, there is zero hope that he is going to suddenly turn into a champion thoroughbred again. That’s not to say he isn’t a good/useful player to have in the squad, I can just understand why people want Moutinho removed from the midfield first, especially when losing the game as we so often are atm.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo must have a slight injury or probably not fully fit , as he hasn't played much or had a proper pre season.....semedo did well against zaha but clearly faded but how anybody can pick current Jonny over semedo to mark Harvey Barnes beggers belief ....

Even worse to pick the wrong player and then not to rectify the mistake by a substitution is quite frankly baffling......hang your head in shame sellars and co.....

Balti Pie

Reaction score
We play with too many passengers who don't affect general play.
Been saying this for ages and said it yesterday to my lad when I saw the line-up.

Adama - Enigma who mainly stands still until he has he ball.
Moutinho - Despite the effort, unfortunately not a dominant presence in CM. Because he doesn't affect the opposition midfield, he tends to mark space.
Costa - A presence, but 33 and not properly match fit and I'm not sure we'll ever play to his strengths.
Jonny - Clearly out of form and not sure he's ever been the same since those injuries.
Nunes - Played out of position in a system which doesn't suit him.

Midfield is clearly the main problem for me. When Leicester had the ball they ran rings around us, it was way too easy. There are no patterns of play, other than pass it to Neves who is the pivot. I'd go back to 5-3-2 with a midfield three of Bouba, Neves and Nunes.

Back
Top Bottom