Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

My book has been published - Ironopolis - Standing Up For Wolverhampton

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Well done reans, on your efforts to get your book published.
I have also read the short preview on Amazon, seems like you have produced a very challenging piece of work.
The picture you have used on the front cover is very atmospheric. Through the smoke, I could just make out the old Molineux floodlights..;)

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry if this is non-football-related, but this is a big achievement for me. I hope Mods don't mind.

I have been working on this for 3 years, and YouCaxton Publications have now published my book called "Ironopolis - Standing Up For Wolverhampton" - Correctly defining the original Black Country - An analytical, evidence-based approach".

I have been studying local newspaper archives for 3-4 years, and despite me originally being open-minded, the evidence quite clearly contradicts the Black Country Society view of the Black Country being defined solely by the thick coal seam, something that is seemingly contrived.

The book makes quite heavy reading - it has more than 500 pages. Although the book discusses the 4 prominent different definitions of the Black Country (thick coal seam/coal at the surface/iron/ iron and coal), there are separate chapters specifically dealing with coal mining in Wolverhampton, the iron industry in Wolverhampton, and working and housing conditions in Wolverhampton during the Industrial Revolution. Much of the information has been received from never-before seen newspaper archives, and believe me some of it makes very grim reading.

So if you want to see where the 'original Black Country' really lay, or you want to read about tragic and horrific incidents in Wolverhampton coal-mines and foundries, and about the desperate housing and working conditions for Wolverhampton people during the Industrial Revolution, this might well be of interest.

Its available on Amazon but make sure you type in "Ironopolis - Standing Up For Wolverhampton", as there is also a book called Ironopolis about Middlesbrough (I only found this out last week:)-.)
Its priced at £17.99 with Amazon, or £8.49 for the on-line version. YouCaxton set the price. I also have 100 copies to sell that I am selling at £12. So if you want to email me privately I am happy to deliver in person in the Wolverhampton area, in the evening.

Photo of the book is attached, thanks for reading and for tolerating me :)-. I know it all sounds very self-indulgent, I'm afraid you have to try to self-publicise these things.
Absolutely brilliant well done and congratulations
I'll be buying a copy that's for sure

Boon2

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Will order a copy when I get back from my hols .
Originally from Wednesfield so I know I ' m Black Country.
Dudley wasn't BC as it was a Worcestershire enclave .

K

KiwiWolf

Sorry if this is non-football-related, but this is a big achievement for me. I hope Mods don't mind.

I have been working on this for 3 years, and YouCaxton Publications have now published my book called "Ironopolis - Standing Up For Wolverhampton" - Correctly defining the original Black Country - An analytical, evidence-based approach".

I have been studying local newspaper archives for 3-4 years, and despite me originally being open-minded, the evidence quite clearly contradicts the Black Country Society view of the Black Country being defined solely by the thick coal seam, something that is seemingly contrived.

The book makes quite heavy reading - it has more than 500 pages. Although the book discusses the 4 prominent different definitions of the Black Country (thick coal seam/coal at the surface/iron/ iron and coal), there are separate chapters specifically dealing with coal mining in Wolverhampton, the iron industry in Wolverhampton, and working and housing conditions in Wolverhampton during the Industrial Revolution. Much of the information has been received from never-before seen newspaper archives, and believe me some of it makes very grim reading.

So if you want to see where the 'original Black Country' really lay, or you want to read about tragic and horrific incidents in Wolverhampton coal-mines and foundries, and about the desperate housing and working conditions for Wolverhampton people during the Industrial Revolution, this might well be of interest.

Its available on Amazon but make sure you type in "Ironopolis - Standing Up For Wolverhampton", as there is also a book called Ironopolis about Middlesbrough (I only found this out last week:)-.)
Its priced at £17.99 with Amazon, or £8.49 for the on-line version. YouCaxton set the price. I also have 100 copies to sell that I am selling at £12. So if you want to email me privately I am happy to deliver in person in the Wolverhampton area, in the evening.

Photo of the book is attached, thanks for reading and for tolerating me :)-. I know it all sounds very self-indulgent, I'm afraid you have to try to self-publicise these things.

That is one amazing achievement and you should quite rightly be very proud of your efforts. Writing a book is something I've often thought about but can't imagine having the persistence and dedication to achieve. Really well done! :D:D

E

Edgmond Wolf

Wow just wow
We need to do a book launch at my house!!
Congratulations Nick
I shall be buying a copy

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True .
Mind you Ashmore Park does let down the rest a bit.
But it's not really true Wednesfield, it only came about when Wolverhampton annexed us. It was just pit spoil when I was a lad. Same as Bentley Bridge which I still call Backus End and where I played on the pit bonks.......think I'm giving my age away now :)

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love history in general and local history can sometimes be great. This is quite an accomplishment Reans; I finished my doctorate last year and the effort nearly killed me - it was the reason I was such an infrequent visitor to Molineux for two years having been a regular before that, which pained me after after our many years in the doldrums. On the Black Country boundary question, I guess my view is quite postmodern - for me, in this instance, if you think you are (from the Black Country, in the Black Country etc) then you probably are as it's a social construction, albeit one based on the very real social conditions of a real place! Again, I applaud the effort, 500 pages **** me!

Boon2

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
But it's not really true Wednesfield, it only came about when Wolverhampton annexed us. It was just pit spoil when I was a lad. Same as Bentley Bridge which I still call Backus End and where I played on the pit bonks.......think I'm giving my age away now :)
Used to ride me bike, a Blue Streak with cowhorns, over Backus End; down some vertical slag heaps. Amazing we never broke our necks.

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Used to ride me bike, a Blue Streak with cowhorns, over Backus End; down some vertical slag heaps. Amazing we never broke our necks.

Cowhorns now that brings back memories. We might have raced each other back in the day and yes thinking back we did not see danger of going full tilt with the wind in our hair.

Sorry Reans for taking this off topic.

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Good effort, Reans - no small amount of love and labour in that :-}

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well done Reans, a fantastic achievement.

I’m really getting into the history of Wolverhampton since my dad traced our family line and discovered they originally moved to the town back in the 18th century and mostly worked in the iron industry.

This will be going into my Christmas wish list and will make a pleasant change from the usual bottles of single malt.

Berkswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Greet achievement Reans. Not from the area myself but am interested in history so I shall be looking to download a digital copy

M

Mr Wolf

We do need some kindling for the fire place I suppose & 500 pages should burn quite well ;)

Let me know when you’re about & I’ll take a copy off you, inlaws are Walsall ST holders so no doubt this should shut them up.

R

reanswolf

Thank you so much for so many very kind words. Means the world to me.

It is a bit heavy in parts - especially the first 2 chapters that analyse the 4 slightly-different definitions of the Black Country in-depth, but if that doesn't float your boat or its gets too intense, skip those chapters, and perhaps instead read about the horrendous abuse of Wolverhampton Children in the landmark 1843 Hansard Report on the nation's poor - where Wolverhampton was singled out as the worst in the Country regards its treatment of working children, who the report described as 'semi-starved, wretchedly thin, and resembling the shape of a stickleback with blade-bones protruding' due to the nature of their work and the long hours. Or the numerous reports highlighting the town's appalling housing conditions especially at Caribee island, the worst slum in the region. The level of hardship and squalor highlighted in these reports defies belief.

I love Wolverhampton, as people will have gathered, and it has been facinating learning about its rather grim past.

Oh and well done Boon2, it is little known and certainly never-highlighted that the 'original Black Country' name (from about 1830) only referred to the area of South Staffordshire, and Dudley town sat in a Worcestershire enclave. But by 1850 yes it was undoubtedly used to incorporate the wider area. Nevertheless, it is a mute point. And one that is never highlighted.

E

E is for idiot.

Good stuff that, Reans. I reckon I will get a copy of that, can pass it on to my grandad as well when I've read it. He would love it.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Top work mate. Just deciding if I want the hard copy or the digital one!

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds almost like you've put 2 or 3 book ideas into 1? Which isn't such a bad thing but knowing where to stop?!
Glad I wasn't growing up during the Industrial revolution in our metal bashing towns tbh.

dgm6769

Reaction score
  1. Will get it to add to the ever growing Black Country annuals.Sure I've seen on here your also from Tipton Reans or am I mistaken.

R

reanswolf

1. Will get it to add to the ever growing Black Country annuals.Sure I've seen on here your also from Tipton Reans or am I mistaken.
You're mistaken mate but lots of my mates were from Tipton/Wednesbury way in the old days. So I've often mentioned that on here.
Always been impressed with the amount of Wolves from Tipton.

R

reanswolf

Sounds almost like you've put 2 or 3 book ideas into 1? Which isn't such a bad thing but knowing where to stop?!
Glad I wasn't growing up during the Industrial revolution in our metal bashing towns tbh.

Never started out with any intention to write a book, but when I got demoted at work due to cuts (or alternatively I failed to keep my original job at interview - just missing out), being in my 50s I felt I needed something to stimulate me. So i started studying local history to fill that gap, and after examining lots of newspaper archives I became increasingly convinced that the Black Country Society with its Dudley perspective on things, had treated Wolverhampton in an almost sinister way. I appreciate people have concrete mindsets about these issues, after all, if you have grown up believing something, along with all those around you, you are going to take a lot of convincing that the status quo is incorrect.

But the evidence contradicting the 'thick coal seam' stance is very strong. I got lucky as all these 1800s books and newspapers now easily readable, only recently became easily available on-line, so those critical views - having never before been evidenced, provided me with a great opportunity to put things right through my work.

Anyway, I'm sure this is boring people already, so again thanks so much to all of you who have stated an interest.

W

WasStefan

Great to see this mate

I was watching ITV Central yesterday. That Brummy fron the Nationwide advert was on. Brum now seem to claim the BC within their remit. Talking about Birmingham yet referencing BC etc, even using the flipping BC museum for the basis of the recording!!! Had to rewind to rewatch as i thought it was missing something. Absolutely hate how we are sowing turning into Greater Brum.

Last edited by a moderator:

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank you so much for so many very kind words. Means the world to me.

It is a bit heavy in parts - especially the first 2 chapters that analyse the 4 slightly-different definitions of the Black Country in-depth, but if that doesn't float your boat or its gets too intense, skip those chapters, and perhaps instead read about the horrendous abuse of Wolverhampton Children in the landmark 1843 Hansard Report on the nation's poor - where Wolverhampton was singled out as the worst in the Country regards its treatment of working children, who the report described as 'semi-starved, wretchedly thin, and resembling the shape of a stickleback with blade-bones protruding' due to the nature of their work and the long hours. Or the numerous reports highlighting the town's appalling housing conditions especially at Caribee island, the worst slum in the region. The level of hardship and squalor highlighted in these reports defies belief.

Excellent achievement - well done.

So basically what you're saying is if it gets too intense, just read the chapter about child-abuse for some light relief! o_O

My Mom's big into her history, so this might be her Christmas present sorted :D

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry to get a bit political and to take this a bit OT but I get really ****ed off when the word 'poverty' is bandied about today in the news/on tv. We today don't know the meaning of the word 'poverty'; imo no-one is in poverty in Britain today. People may be hard up but I'm sure this book and the lives of the kids living and working around Wolverhampton 150 years ago will describe in full detail the horrors of real poverty.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry to get a bit political and to take this a bit OT but I get really ****ed off when the word 'poverty' is bandied about today in the news/on tv. We today don't know the meaning of the word 'poverty'; imo no-one is in poverty in Britain today. People may be hard up but I'm sure this book and the lives of the kids living and working around Wolverhampton 150 years ago will describe in full detail the horrors of real poverty.

Those people from 150 years ago didn't know real poverty just ask those from the dark Ages, now that was poverty.

Food banks..Breakfast clubs are not really needed as the kids using them don't have their bones poking out.

Poverty Bah humbug!

D

Deleted at request of member 4337

Those people from 150 years ago didn't know real poverty just ask those from the dark Ages, now that was poverty.

Food banks..Breakfast clubs are not really needed as the kids using them don't have their bones poking out.

Poverty Bah humbug!
Must be imagining all those people sleeping in doorways or perhaps that's not poverty either

Berkswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Downloaded the digital version from amazon. I have kindle unlimited and it is available on there.

S

ShropshireLad

You're mistaken mate but lots of my mates were from Tipton/Wednesbury way in the old days. So I've often mentioned that on here.
Always been impressed with the amount of Wolves from Tipton.
I met a family from Tipton last week down here in London. I provocatively said that you must be Albion fans. The reply was, "No way, we're Wolves!" :D

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Congratulations Reans. I might take look at that sometime. Besides the local aspect, I've got some interest in the whole historical coal mining thing, being descended from a line of Barnsley coal miners. I'm currently reading a book on the Husker Pit Disaster from that area. Pretty grim stuff, made all the more so as I share a surname with one of the youngest victims (aged 7). Makes you realise how far we've come, even if things are still far from perfect.

R

reanswolf

Congratulations Reans. I might take look at that sometime. Besides the local aspect, I've got some interest in the whole historical coal mining thing, being descended from a line of Barnsley coal miners. I'm currently reading a book on the Husker Pit Disaster from that area. Pretty grim stuff, made all the more so as I share a surname with one of the youngest victims (aged 7). Makes you realise how far we've come, even if things are still far from perfect.

Thank you mate.
Regards mining, I honestly thought Wolverhampton had no coal mining, except the Bilston area.
But then I discovered the truth. Fascinating learning about the thin seam miners of Wolverhampton who were worse paid and had to work longer hours in worse conditions than the famous thick seam workers of the region. I highlight up to 30-40 mining incidents in Wolverhampton mines in the book, but I think the most killed in any single incident was 7. But these were shallow mines only up to 200 yards deep, and there were numerous incidents of deaths of 1 or 2 people, often children. Pit-bank wenches also largely originated in the Wolverhampton coalfield, but again if you believed the Black Country Society you would believe there was hardly any mining in the town.

K

KnowleWolf

Hi Reanswolf
Would love to buy a copy what’s your email address?
Jas

Back
Top Bottom