Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

My big fear for my club

kentish wolf

Reaction score
I am worried that the club are going to repeat the grim times 0f the Bhatti's and the nightmares under Saunders and Co.
Please give me some hope lads and lasses because to me it seems that Fosun are not interested any more.
Since last March we have been woeful and disposing of a lot of quality players (especially our talisman Coady) is nothing short of idiocy and stupidity.
IMO we need a new manager (obviously) and at least a few quality players to bolster this hapless squad.
Shi has to go imo ,he has failed miserablely ,if not then we are championship bound and with this present set up we will.probably struggle there.
Wake up Fosun your investment is in big trouble and changes both on and off the park are essential if this great old club are not to become a laughing stock again

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Fosun have much bigger worries than Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club. If there was even a glimmer of genuine interest in protecting us from a downward spiral they wouldn't tolerate such a useless CEO running the ship.

Last edited:

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s quickly got to the point where we need to demand change. The speed of the decline is worrying.

Jeff, Sellars, the medical team all need replacing regardless of how good the next appointment is, regardless of league position.

A new structure is needed which is staffed with people who have football integrity both on and off the pitch.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Errr.. the OP asked for a glimmer of hope..
There's no point us deluding one another like some self-comfort group. We are in the brown stuff big time.

Only the players on the pitch can give us fans some hope short term, but the options don't look good enough, and they have a relative amateur who isn't up to the task leading them.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's no point us deluding one another like some self-comfort group. We are in the brown stuff big time.

Only the players on the pitch can give us fans some hope short term, but the options don't look good enough, and they have a relative amateur who isn't up to the task leading them.
But.. they’re a much better group of players than Wolves in 2012, so as long as we can get a good leader in place, I think we can avoid a serious slide.

That’s my optimistic thought for the day.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a group of talented players who need new direction. A new manager/coach will come in and get the best out of some of them (maybe not all) but it is entirely possible that Fosun will act soon to protect their investment and that we will pick up. Even if no more money is pumped in atm, there is still opportunity to make progress IF we can get an experienced head coach in to rejuvenate this group of players. Big ask, but doable.
Off the field, I dunno what’s happening behind the scenes (none of us do really) but I am sure the £100m+ spent in the summer signalled the commitment to keep us as an established premier league side

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They just spent more money than we have in years. And more than most in the Premier League.

I don’t like to give them the benefit of the doubt as they’ve made many stupid decisions in the past but if you’re nearly in financial ruin I presume you know about it in advance. So you don’t sanction a football club to spend £100m+ and then realise 6 weeks later you’re desperate for funds.

Similarly, you don’t sack a manager.

Our squad is fine. It’s a centre back short in terms of depth and a striker short but every team in the league will have some complaints.

I can’t offer hope on the manager situation. It’s a joke. However it’s three more league games - we presume.

On the whole, our performances aren’t that much different to last season. Just where Jose Sa would bail us out, he’s not now and things like Tielemans scoring a worldie happen.

We need 3/4 points before the break and then we’ll be in a position to be competitive with a new manager and things will look better.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But.. they’re a much better group of players than Wolves in 2012, so as long as we can get a good leader in place, I think we can avoid a serious slide.

That’s my optimistic thought for the day.
They might be better on paper but regarding fight and application they're woefully inadequate and I expect most are simply treading water and not expecting to be here much longer.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are Fosun running us on big debts and borrowing? If not we'll be fine.

The stupid thing is, if we were top 6 with high borrowing and salary structure fans wouldn't be in the slightest bit worried.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's strange how similar a situation Leeds are finding themselves to Wolves.
Could be a coincidence?

Have a manager who reinvents the club. Fans, players love him.
Goes stale. Gets sacked.
Get in a new manager.
Initially there is a reaction.
Flattens out and start to struggle.

An interesting comparison if nothing else

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You get what you put in 9/10 in life . Fosun not bothering well there goes your investment .

Not great for us as fans but the last few days I have got to the point of not caring.

If and if say if they have issues with finances then isn't that poor management. So what do we expect from them with our great club ?

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We spent £38million on Nunes, £28million on Guedes, £21million on Collins and £15million on Sasha. We got B Traore on loan and made Hwang a permanent signing at £12million. That’s £114million paid out which far exceeds what we got in for MGW, Coady, Saiss, Boly, Ruddy and Donk (between £50-£60million if I am correct). That’s 5 in and 6 out (not including Hoever on loan). On paper, good arrivals who will click eventually. I don’t agree with Coady or Donk departures but I am trying to stay positive, not fearful

If Fosun were not interested why make a net outlay of £50+million!

I know that outlay on (supposedly) top players has yet to be proved value for money, but that should give us some hope of Fosuns commitment.

The next 3 months will give us a good idea of our future, with the appointment of a top class head coach/manager imperative and the January transfer window.

I live in hope and hope the OP will as well.

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We spent £38million on Nunes, £28million on Guedes, £21million on Collins and £15million on Sasha. We got B Traore on loan and made Hwang a permanent signing at £12million. That’s £114million paid out which far exceeds what we got in for MGW, Coady, Saiss, Boly, Ruddy and Donk (between £50-£60million if I am correct). That’s 5 in and 6 out (not including Hoever on loan). On paper, good arrivals who will click eventually. I don’t agree with Coady or Donk departures but I am trying to stay positive, not fearful

I know that outlay on (supposedly) top players has yet to be proved value for money, but that should give us some hope of Fosuns commitment.

The next 3 months will give us a good idea of our future, with the appointment of a top class head coach/manager imperative and the January transfer window.

Potentially to look to guarantee our Prem status which makes us a more attractive prospect to sell.

If we’re worth say £350m where we are but going to the Championship makes us more like £200m then £50m spent is sensible.

It’s like the big business version of doing your house up to sell.

But really nobody knows at all. It’s just guess work and it’s a mess.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could be a coincidence?

Goes stale. Gets sacked.
Get in a new manager.

And a similar situation to Burnley with dyche ......it's why I was scathing on here about the fall out from the Seville game.....I said our fans had lost the plot and it would bite us hard ...

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could be a coincidence?

Goes stale. Gets sacked.
Get in a new manager.

Coincidence, was talking to a Leeds supporting friend the other day (at the moment it's a mutual misery & moan!). And also realised there are a lot of similarities between the clubs situations. Leeds owners have been mostly not good, however they struck gold with Bielsa, a manager of a higher level than they'd normally get. Just like us, the success looks like it was down to that one manager, rather than the owners. Who mostly appear clueless.

Also, that Leeds had their strongest team for years, but didn't strengthen at their peak. Still too many players who are not up to this level. Throwing in teenagers far from ready (though they do OK against us :()

It's the old cliche about having to move forward to stand still. We stood still for a couple of years, then have gone scatter-gun. Also wondering if our mistake isn't the players coming in, but immediately letting so many leave. If we'd kept at least some of them, we would have had a stronger squad. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a group of talented players who need new direction. A new manager/coach will come in and get the best out of some of them (maybe not all) but it is entirely possible that Fosun will act soon to protect their investment and that we will pick up. Even if no more money is pumped in atm, there is still opportunity to make progress IF we can get an experienced head coach in to rejuvenate this group of players. Big ask, but doable.
Off the field, I dunno what’s happening behind the scenes (none of us do really) but I am sure the £100m+ spent in the summer signalled the commitment to keep us as an established premier league side
You must subtract the money coming in from sales which must be about £55 million at least plus reduction in wage bill as a result of sales.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Could be a coincidence?

Goes stale. Gets sacked.
Get in a new manager.

Yes, except they sacked him to avoid relegation and we sacked him because we slipped just into the bottom half in a covid season (or in fact because he knew he wasn't getting the backing he needed to achieve what they wanted and told them so).

Comparing this situation to Mick's last year is one thing, it's not exactly the Bhatti's though is it!

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am worried that the club are going to repeat the grim times 0f the Bhatti's and the nightmares under Saunders and Co.
Please give me some hope lads and lasses because to me it seems that Fosun are not interested any more.
Since last March we have been woeful and disposing of a lot of quality players (especially our talisman Coady) is nothing short of idiocy and stupidity.
IMO we need a new manager (obviously) and at least a few quality players to bolster this hapless squad.
Shi has to go imo ,he has failed miserablely ,if not then we are championship bound and with this present set up we will.probably struggle there.
Wake up Fosun your investment is in big trouble and changes both on and off the park are essential if this great old club are not to become a laughing stock again
I share many of your concerns. Hope comes in the form of Wolves not being run with significant debt unlike other clubs, and what debt we did have was to Fosun which they graciously wrote off a few months ago. I would also not give up hope that Fosun sell the club to assuage some of their own short-term debt woes. In other words, the current mire of neglect in which we find ourselves may be untenable. Hopefully, they sell to an owner with the ambition and the clout to kick-start "the project", we comfortably survive this year with grounds for optimism in 2022/23.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They spent £120m in the summer, ambition isn't the problem. Bruno Lage was a mediocre manager not getting the best out of this group. In reality he should have been sacked in the summer given how the season started.

The real issue is management at the top level not knowing what to do when Jorge Mendes isn't holding their hands, hence we still don't have a manager one month after sacking Bruno Lage. Villa appointed Emery within a week of sacking Gerrard, and clearly had done their due diligence on prospective managers prior to sacking him, while clearly, we did not. Perhaps our plan was simply to appoint Lopetegui and he refused us again, very shortsighted to not have a contingency plan in place.

The club lacks direction. Scott Sellars is a yes-man that's out of his depth, Jeff Shi needs a proven Director of Football working alongside him. Brighton had a list of replacements for Potter in case one of the elite clubs came in for him, and had a clear blueprint of what they wanted. Swallow your pride a bit Jeff and accept you can't do everything by yourself before it's too late.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Fosun have much bigger worries than Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club. If there was even a glimmer of genuine interest in protecting us from impeding disaster they wouldn't tolerate such a useless CEO running the ship.
WWFC are currently in a similar situation what Newcastle United FC were in around 12 or so ago.I know a few Newcastle fans and they had the same depressive thoughts last year about where they were heading. Now they are really optimistic for their club for Europe.

Imho we need new owners like them to boost our expectation for the future. Maybe Santa Claus will help us out this Christmas..
Always look on the bright side of life and Out of darkness cometh light :)

Last edited:

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think we will have the repeat of the Bhattis. Football has changed considerably since then and I think even with disinterested owners we would find a buyer eventually. We also have assets and an infrastructure that would prevent the kind of calamity the Bhattis created. The money wasn’t in football at the time and football was generally run by local businessmen and income was from gate receipts.

We only had the Bhattis because the previous regime went bust, which for a Division 1 club at the time was almost in heard of. It happened to clubs seeking re-election to the football league. I would not put Fosun in the Bhattis category of owner. I would actually say that Fosun despite our current woes have demonstrated more nous and have been better owners than either Hayward or Morgan. Both oversaw a shambolic demise from the PL, one didn’t invest anything and the other reacted too late. I am still genuinely perplexed why we didn’t go be it a better go following that first promotion rather than treat it as a one year tourist tour. But Hayward made many stupid decisions on a par with Fosun’s current decisions. He didn’t get the same grief because he created a myth around himself. The saving grace for Wolves is that Fosun sacked Lage early so they have more time, Morgan sacked McCarthy too late and had no time or opportunity to change it.

I have to say the post Bhutti era of 86/87 to 1999 gave me some of my favourite football memories. Watching the emergence of a team from the ashes, going to games wondering how many we would score, would Bully get another hat trick, watching the terror on defenders and goalkeepers faces as Bull and Mitch more down on them. Wembley, England player all great memories.

I don’t disagree with your last three paragraphs by the way.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes and as rudderless as we appear right now, to compare Fosun's mismanagement to the Bhatti's is just hyperbole.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Best I could manage…

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Ok I’ll bite ;) some hopes:

We could be 20th not 19th…….

We‘re not cut adrift from the pack yet, gain 3 points on a couple of teams above us and we’re 15th (or thereabouts)

Some real good young talent being given a pop (think Beuno)

The World Cup break will be an opportunity for many players to work on their fitness levels, either with their national team mates or back at Compton. The players get to a fitness they can at least compete physically it’s a start

The World Cup break may give some of our injury ridden players time to recover and improve the depth of the squad. With some good players returning it may just give some momentum for an end of season run which is looking more and more likely and vitally needed

That video of Adama having a foot race with those kids in a Sainsburys car park - shows we still have some real nice guys in the team who can relate to fans, we need that on match days more than ever at the moment

The squad may be unbalanced but we still have many quality players, arguably the best outside the ‘Sky 6’, if they’re given a cause to fight for we’ll start to get results

Yes there’s been a loss of leaders, but nature abhors a vacuum, hopefully sooner rather than later that void is going to start to be filled by a couple of players growing in stature and stepping up

The Mander Centre has Halloween face painting on this afternoon, go along join in the fun

That help?

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok I’ll bite ;) some hopes:

We could be 20th not 19th…….

We‘re not cut adrift from the pack yet, gain 3 points on a couple of teams above us and we’re 15th (or thereabouts)

Some real good young talent being given a pop (think Beuno)

The World Cup break will be an opportunity for many players to work on their fitness levels, either with their national team mates or back at Compton. The players get to a fitness they can at least compete physically it’s a start

The World Cup break may give some of our injury ridden players time to recover and improve the depth of the squad. With some good players returning it may just give some momentum for an end of season run which is looking more and more likely and vitally needed

That video of Adama having a foot race with those kids in a Sainsburys car park - shows we still have some real nice guys in the team who can relate to fans, we need that on match days more than ever at the moment

The squad may be unbalanced but we still have many quality players, arguably the best outside the ‘Sky 6’, if they’re given a cause to fight for we’ll start to get results

Yes there’s been a loss of leaders, but nature abhors a vacuum, hopefully sooner rather than later that void is going to start to be filled by a couple of players growing in stature and stepping up

The Mander Centre has Halloween face painting on this afternoon, go along join in the fun

That help?
All credit to you Sir. Surely Wolves need you to head their PR Department as they are incapable in displaying any positivity.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They might be better on paper but regarding fight and application they're woefully inadequate and I expect most are simply treading water and not expecting to be here much longer.
It certainly feels that way.. but I would argue that player attitudes right now reflect the malaise of the club in general, top to bottom.. I still think the right leader can change that and get a lot more out of these players.

Probably needs a couple of new faces, but not much.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem is the money spent. Laughable that we spent £66m on Guedes and Nunes who are average at best
We could have left midfield as it was and just bought a top notch striker
I don’t see any hope with this lot as we have a very soft under belly and no heart for a fight
Ludicrous to waste yet another winnable match without a manager in place and very poor that Shi hasn’t been replaced
To stay up we need to score goals and I’m afraid the over hyped Costa isn’t the answer
Bad decisions all over the shop. We’re gone

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
The problem is the money spent. Laughable that we spent £66m on Guedes and Nunes who are average at best
This is one of many issues. The 'sky 6' can splurge 400-500 million down the pan each year, if they have a few average players in their, doesn't matter, they'll still get plenty of peaches.

Unfortunately everyone else has to be savvy with much limited budgets and if a player turns out to be average the impact if more severe. Its the 'savvy' bit that's deserted us.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could have left midfield as it was and just bought a top notch striker
I don’t see any hope with this lot as we have a very soft under belly and no heart for a fight
Ludicrous to waste yet another winnable match without a manager in place and very poor that Shi hasn’t been replaced
To stay up we need to score goals and I’m afraid the over hyped Costa isn’t the answer
Bad decisions all over the shop. We’re gone
The signings werent laughable at the time,in fact far from it
Universally acclaimed by all on here,even Pep said Nunes was one of the best in the world,and Guedes has been mentioned on here as a must have for several seasons

Several managers have described our midfield as frightening,unfortunately only on paper so far
Nunes is playing out of position ,Mouts is just too slow now,and Neves, though good, is a notch or two down on his best

The team as a whole is just struggling,mainly through lack of goals,and devoid of confidence
There isnt a single player that you can mention thats anywhere near his best

Ofc we need a striker who doesnt? We tried with Kalajdzic who literally fell at the first,we presumed Raul was ok,obviously not,gambled with Costa who will need months to get match fit,bad luck or bad decisions its where we are

We badly need a manager to kick this lot into gear,they are capable of getting us out of trouble, but lack any kind of leadership on or off the field

Big mistake letting Coady go, but see why they did and he wanted out at the time because of his treatment by Lage
We were all calling for 4 at the back, and we all were saying Coady couldnt play in one,yet here he is playing in a back 4 at Everton,not only the guys at the top making poor judgements, is it?

I dont know if that gives any hope or cements your fears lol but there it is

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Part of me thinks they want us to go down, asset strip and then buy cheap Mendes guys again in the Championship in the hope they get us back up and rinse and repeat.

Just a gut feeling otherwise they would go all out to get a top tier manager through the door rather than who ever is cheapest

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My glimmer of hope is the players pull their fingers out of their backsides and put in an almighty performance against Brentford and turn this ship around. They know how poor they have been, especially last week. If we were playing a side who had just been hammered 4-0 the previous week, we would be worried about a backlash.

oh hang on, what did Brentford do last week?

bah. Glimmer of hope extinguished.

T

TheConcourse

I genuinely think we’re one decision away from pulling away from trouble, but they have to get this manager situation sorted ASAP.

The money in the PL means it would be crazy not to do everything in our power to stay up, so I don’t see the comparison with previous times. The squad is miles better too.

Back
Top Bottom