Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Moutinho

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re Mouts, could it be that as he's clearly tailed off in the pecking order in recent months then he declined the offer of an outing that would have been based largely on sentimentality rather than merit?

If he' have been required to play in "real" terms then I'd be very surprised him refusing to do so.

Although his powers as a player may have declined over the last 12 months (although for me still a very intelligent player, especially off the ball) I'm not aware of any instances where his professionalism has been brought into question.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah I'd seen that, so listened to the Judah and Keen report after the game because I figured they may talk about some players not doing their laps and it'd be something they'd be likely to know being in the press box etc. Keen said Moutinho wasn't at the stadium at all

So you can either believe a kid who thought he'd seen him wearing a suit or a reporter who would have been able to ask the right people if he was there. So my take on that is the mascot was mistaken
OK, you may well be correct. If so, that begs the question of why Moutinho wasn't at the stadium at all on the last occasion when home fans were likely to see him. He has hardly figured in the last month or so, except for a few minutes off the bench. Sulking because he knew it would be the same again against Everton? If so, hardly the behaviour of the 'model professional' that some on here constantly tell us he is.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, you have a million caps, yes you were great when you came here. But your legs have gone, and for the last two seasons the game has been passing you by. You slow the whole team down, you give fouls away because you are no longer quick enough in the tackle. Lage wouldn't drop you because he was weak and scared of you. Help the team and drop yourself to the bench. You can still have an effect from there. But you should no longer be starting. You are already a Wolves legend, so please don't spoil that. We all love you for what you have done for us xxx

:D :D :D :D :D

EastDorsetWolf

Reaction score
Moutinho, unless ill, has no excuses for not being there. He has been well taken care of by the club and idolised by many fans throughout his time here. Totally disrespectful and unprofessional. Going forward I'am fully behind JL wanting players who want to play for the club and progress the club rather than just players looking to where they go next. None of us want to see more Guedes type signings.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A lot of folk getting annoyed at either JL or Moutinho etc, based on supposition, its crazy, don't think anyone actually knows the full story.
I'm hoping the players involved (not involved) haven't spat their dummies out but who knows?
Even if so, Moutonho and Jonny have enough credit in the bank for me.
Be delighted when this season is put to bed and all the players who are leaving are gone and we can get on with planning for next season.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho, unless ill, has no excuses for not being there. He has been well taken care of by the club and idolised by many fans throughout his time here. Totally disrespectful and unprofessional. Going forward I'am fully behind JL wanting players who want to play for the club and progress the club rather than just players looking to where they go next. None of us want to see more Guedes type signings.
To be fair to Guedes, he didn’t want to come to Wolves. The move was forced upon him. His sulky attitude though was unprofessional and disrespectful.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I stick by every word of that post. JL eventually came to a similar conclusion -- not a starter any more. But however much Moutinho's contributions on the pitch have gradually declined with advancing age, he has always behaved impeccably. So it's a shame he seems to have blotted his copybook by staying away for the final home game. If there is some innocent explanation for his absence let's hear it from him. Just keeping stumm and then disappearing is not good enough.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OK, you may well be correct. If so, that begs the question of why Moutinho wasn't at the stadium at all on the last occasion when home fans were likely to see him. He has hardly figured in the last month or so, except for a few minutes off the bench. Sulking because he knew it would be the same again against Everton? If so, hardly the behaviour of the 'model professional' that some on here constantly tell us he is.
Yeah this is the thing. I mean, even if the lad was right and Moutinho was there in a suit he could have walked around the pitch at the end, I'm sure someone would have spotted him

Part of me wonders if there has been a falling out between Lopetegui and some of the players leaving. But even if there has, this isn't the right way to sign off some of the most important players in our recent history as Lopetegui realised (too late) with Raúl. Another one who I want to know the whereabouts of is Neto, not in the squad despite starting the last few games, no lap of honour, and I'm pretty sure he loves Moutinho. So (I'm obviously speculating and putting two and two together here to come up with a loaf of bread!) maybe Lopetegui was against giving these players a sentimental runout, a few disagreed and it kicked off a bit hence the 'strange' squad? Don't know

I'd imagine little snippets will come out as time goes on but it's a very disappointing way for it to end

Reaction score
Moutinho lives in Codsall and if you bump into him in the village he is a really nice bloke with lots of time for the supporters, same with Jonny, again if you meet him really nice bloke who makes time for the fans. For me, for those two, as well as several others, not to be involved after the match hints at issues behind the scenes not an individual player spitting his dummy out.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah this is the thing. I mean, even if the lad was right and Moutinho was there in a suit he could have walked around the pitch at the end, I'm sure someone would have spotted him

Part of me wonders if there has been a falling out between Lopetegui and some of the players leaving. But even if there has, this isn't the right way to sign off some of the most important players in our recent history as Lopetegui realised (too late) with Raúl. Another one who I want to know the whereabouts of is Neto, not in the squad despite starting the last few games, no lap of honour, and I'm pretty sure he loves Moutinho. So (I'm obviously speculating and putting two and two together here to come up with a loaf of bread!) maybe Lopetegui was against giving these players a sentimental runout, a few disagreed and it kicked off a bit hence the 'strange' squad? Don't know

I'd imagine little snippets will come out as time goes on but it's a very disappointing way for it to end
That's pretty much what I think too. It would explain the weird team selection. It would explain (re Moutinho) the cryptic-sounding way JL explained his absence in the press conference. It does look as if several players collectively gave JL a two-fingered salute.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I think too. It would explain the weird team selection. It would explain (re Moutinho) the cryptic-sounding way JL explained his absence in the press conference. It does look as if several players collectively gave JL a two-fingered salute.
Probably the same players that created issues for Bruno Lage, without doubt there are some players who have enjoyed the way it was at Wolves under Nuno, however things change and move on.
The king is dead, long live the king.
Wolverhampton Wanderers are grateful for your service and we have paid you handsomely and it would have been nice to end things amicably, but the end was inevitable.
My favourite word is impermanence.
Good news
Nothing lasts forever
Bad news
Nothing lasts forever

Looking forward to seeing a squad of players that WANT to represent WWFC next season.

Last edited:

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just throwing out a scenario here......

So is it possible Moutinho basically said that he didn't want a charity appearance and that it would be easier for all involved if he just wasn't involved so as to take away that scenario?

RAN I think is a fairly obvious issue at this point. Quite clear he and Julen have fallen out and he is done here so no surprise he didn't come out. Neto? Injured? Jonny? No idea! Jimenez we have already learned was a bit of a mess up from Julen which he has basically owned.
I was going to post exactly the same on Moutinho. Purely conjecture I know. Still would have been nice for him to come into the pitch after the game but again perhaps he didn’t want to steal the limelight.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one's considered that maybe Moutinho didn't want the emotional send off that people feel he deserved.

We all saw the state Raúl got himself in. Perhaps João didn't want the indignity of falling to pieces in front of 30,000 fans?

Severnup

Groupie
Reaction score
Unless we know the full story then it's difficult to pass judgement, but one thing for sure, Moutinho for me has been a true pro and one of the finest players I have ever seen pull on a Wolves Jersey in my 56 years of watching this team. That's what I will choose to remember. I wish him every success in whatever he decides to do next.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was going to post exactly the same on Moutinho. Purely conjecture I know. Still would have been nice for him to come into the pitch after the game but again perhaps he didn’t want to steal the limelight.
He would have, deservededly, been a main part of the limelight.

Last edited:

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know nothing, but maybe he didn't feel in the right head space for non footballing reasons.

Just an idea.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Following his meeting with Jeff Shi, I’m guessing JL sat down with a number of players late last week and told them whether or not they’re in his plans for next season.

I can understand players like Jonny not wanting to come onto the pitch at the end. They’re still under contract after all and might feel like they’re being forced out. Kind of awkward for them if fans are giving them the big send-off.

Moutinho’s decision will be linked to what he was told by JL. My guess is he probably hasn’t been given an extension and is upset at having to uproot his family and didn’t want to put them through the pitch walk at the end. There could be various other plausible reasons too

I suspect JL has pencilled in RAN and Neto as two players he can move on to raise funds for the rebuild but purely speculating here. Also think there’s a decent chance JL wants to keep Adama and still a chance he might re-sign.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Following his meeting with Jeff Shi, I’m guessing JL sat down with a number of players late last week and told them whether or not they’re in his plans for next season.

I can understand players like Jonny not wanting to come onto the pitch at the end. They’re still under contract after all and might feel like they’re being forced out. Kind of awkward for them if fans are giving them the big send-off.

Moutinho’s decision will be linked to what he was told by JL. My guess is he probably hasn’t been given an extension and is upset at having to uproot his family and didn’t want to put them through the pitch walk at the end. There could be various other plausible reasons too

I suspect JL has pencilled in RAN and Neto as two players he can move on to raise funds for the rebuild but purely speculating here. Also think there’s a decent chance JL wants to keep Adama and still a chance he might re-sign.
I would have thought Mouts would have been planning for a exit.
I'd keep Neto.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of folk getting annoyed at either JL or Moutinho etc, based on supposition, its crazy, don't think anyone actually knows the full story.
As outsiders, we naturally have to speculate somewhat. It's always possible that Moutinho fell ill, or he had an emergency with a loved one or something of that nature, but you'd think JL would've told us if it were something emergent. Instead, he proper chucked him under the bus by saying he doesn't want to be here. Even if it were the unlikely explanation offered above that he didn't want to be fussed over, JL could have said something to that effect. We're going off what the gaffer said.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
When people say that he is one of the best players to ever play for the club I offer some balance.

1st season - absolutely magnificent.
2nd season. really good for most of it.
3rd season - beginning to notice more his legs had gone, the poor set peices and that him and Neves couldn't play togther. Set peices terrible.
4th season - poor apart from a 4 week peoiod early 2022. Set peices terrible. Any passes of a difficulty level gives the ball to opponents.
5th season - largely unselectable. Rarely win when he starts. Set peices terrible. Any passes of a difficulty level gives the ball to opponents.

I don't think thats an unfair assessment.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When people say that he is one of the best players to ever play for the club I offer some balance.

1st season - absolutely magnificent.
2nd season. really good for most of it.
3rd season - beginning to notice more his legs had gone, the poor set peices and that him and Neves couldn't play togther. Set peices terible.
4th season - poor apart from a 4 week peoiod early 2022. Set peices terrible. Any passes of a difficulty level gives the ball to opponents.
5th season - largely unselectable. Rarely win when he starts. Set peices terrible. Any passes of a difficulty level gives the ball to opponents.

I don't think thats an unfair assessment.

Yeh, fair assessment. He's one of the best players to ever play for the club.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was a little bit suprised he was not at the match on Saturday, even if not playing but to do a circuit of the pitch to say goodbye to the fans. That said I dont know what is going on in his life. He might have been in talks with a new club etc, there could have been private family matters he needs to deal with etc.

What I will say is that Moutinho has been a fantastic player for this club and he has been a model professional. I've never really rated his free kicks and corners but that aside it has been a pleasure to see him in a Wolves shirt especially when he was in his pomp in those early seasons.

After 5 years of almost faultless service what I wont do is slag him off for one possible mistake especially when I dont even know the background facts. I'll certainly wish Mutters well in his future career and thank him for coming to Wolves.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly. Moutinho wasn't involved at all, so was in normal clothes. The conversation with JL must have happened before match day, that's why he wasn't in a tracksuit on Saturday. A bit of a mystery why he didn't say goodbye at the end, though. If this is what happened, pretty unprofessional from the 'model professional'

Nah I meant he wouldn’t be wearing a suit, as the players don’t wear them. They’re either in tracksuits or their own clothes. I mean I guess Moutinho could just dress in his Sunday best when not wearing football stuff but surely he’d more likely be in jeans and a tshirt like Sasa was

portugamerifinn

Groupie
Reaction score
1 brilliant season, one pretty good season.

Saying he is one of the best players ever to play for the club I think is a little excessive.

The fact he didn't sustain excellence for years and years in a Wolves shirt doesn't mean is isn't "one of the best players ever to play for the club". He is unquestionably one of the few most excellent and accomplished players Wolves have had.

He is second all-time in caps for Portugal, trailing only Cristiano Ronaldo, and he's been capped during the most successful extended stretch in Portuguese history while featuring at four Euros and two World Cups. Who have Wolves fielded in recent memory that comes anywhere close to touching that?

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho lives in Codsall and if you bump into him in the village he is a really nice bloke with lots of time for the supporters, same with Jonny, again if you meet him really nice bloke who makes time for the fans. For me, for those two, as well as several others, not to be involved after the match hints at issues behind the scenes not an individual player spitting his dummy out.

Even nice blokes, sometimes do something stupid...
I'm not fussed about it though. As with Boly, I look at how the player behaved throughout their career with us, and dont judge them on one indicident.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Saying he is one of the best players ever to play for the club I think is a little excessive.
He was in that one season though. Never thought I'd see that sort of player at my beloved club. My word, what a player he was..

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They're talking about his career as a whole.

I.e. Paul Ince was one of the best players to have played for us, and Gazza nearly was.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be nice if some of the lads who are leaving get some sort of presentation like Liverpool did with the players that are leaving them. Whatever you think of Liverpool that was a nice and classy touch by them at the weekend.

T

TheConcourse

The name brings credibility, but I’m with you. Excellent in the first and second seasons. Not many bigger names have played for us - arguably at their peak in the early years too.

Seemed at his best under Nuno and that system.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho can forget about the coaching role.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact he didn't sustain excellence for years and years in a Wolves shirt doesn't mean is isn't "one of the best players ever to play for the club". He is unquestionably one of the few most excellent and accomplished players Wolves have had.

He is second all-time in caps for Portugal, trailing only Cristiano Ronaldo, and he's been capped during the most successful extended stretch in Portuguese history while featuring at four Euros and two World Cups. Who have Wolves fielded in recent memory that comes anywhere close to touching that?
Depends on what you mean by 'in recent memory', which in turn depends on how old you are. Top, top Wolves players in my lifetime include Billy Wright (captained England for 11 years consecutively, 3 World Cups, first England player in history to reach 100 caps), Ron Flowers (49 caps, 2 World Cups and World Cup winner, even if he didn't play in 66), and Bert Williams (24 caps, 1 World Cup) and all of these three played in an era when international caps weren't ten a penny like they are now. I saw Wright and Flowers play many times, and in their pomp they were easily in the same class as Moutinho when he was in his.

Last edited:

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's getting a lot of stick for Saturday, but he strikes me as the type of character who just doesn't want a big fuss made.

He has also always been ultra competitive and ultra professional, so would want to be selected on merit only, not out of pity or sentimentality.

He was probably happy to give Neves the limelight for Saturday and just stay out of the way.

Absolutely no problem with it whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom