Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

MOTD short format 11.03.2023

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
It doesn't seem right without the commentary even if it is often annoying. But, I think the amount of 'analysis' usually included is over the top and inevitably focuses more on the 'big 6' than other teams. They should increase the football content and cut down on the waffle.

As for Lineker, I don't think he's ever been that good at his job and he must wake up every morning and wonder how he's getting away with it. He's no loss at all in my opinion and if I were the BBC I'd jump on this opportunity to replace him. Mark Chapman is far superior in every way (and cheaper).

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It doesn't seem right without the commentary even if it is often annoying.

I've already said that I can totally do without the commentary but, if I'm forced to have it, I do prefer the single-commentator approach without the constant chummy 'banter' of an ex-pro next to them. In that respect, watching matches on MOTD/Other highlights is preferable to watching live. And, now I think more about it, I suppose that in the context of a highlights show there's probably more need for a commentator. Over 90 minutes I don't think that most viewers need too much help with what's going on (apart from perhaps when the game has paused for a VAR decision where what's happening isn't immediately apparent to the naked eye)... whereas, in a 5-10 highlights slot perhaps it is a bit more helpful to have a voice to put some context around the 'missing' parts of the match.

I'd also agree with the points one or two have made about visually impaired people - commentary-turned-off should be an option for miserable sods like me and not the default setting.

It's been interesting to see the range of what people like and don't like in terms of their highlights.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel for anyone who was blind who wanted to get their football fix this weekend

It’s ok though a few selfish ****s preffered it, we can see the selfish ****ers on here give yourselves a massive self congratulatory ****, dick splashes

GigaWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big thumbs down for me too.
Just got up early on Sunday to watch it ,,20 mins of silence ...may as well watched YouTube highlights last night.
Not what I pay my TV licence for BBC
No it not. You pay it because they say you must

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It doesn't seem right without the commentary even if it is often annoying. But, I think the amount of 'analysis' usually included is over the top and inevitably focuses more on the 'big 6' than other teams. They should increase the football content and cut down on the waffle.

As for Lineker, I don't think he's ever been that good at his job and he must wake up every morning and wonder how he's getting away with it. He's no loss at all in my opinion and if I were the BBC I'd jump on this opportunity to replace him. Mark Chapman is far superior in every way (and cheaper).
Mark Chapman is excellent, I agree. I don't think he's "better" than GL though. They're both in their slightly different styles equally excellent is what I'd say - not quite in Des Lynham territory, but certainly not far off it.

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loved it ......even if just to not have to listen to , constant VAR discussions , cardigan wearing Shearer say 'Magnificent' in every sentence , and Lineker taking the **** out of other teams in his own smarmy way

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If this no punditry, no comms format is as good as some claim, surely we will just carry on with it now?

Bob Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Didn't watch it on principle...

...The principle that we weren't on it :D

In all seriousness I do not like the way the BBC has handled the whole thing and as such will not be watching their channels.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So if some had their way we'd have highlights with no commentary, presentation by a talent show winner, with punditry from a fan

Call me a sceptic but...
Are you thinking…Rylan? I don’t think he won.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Mark Chapman is excellent, I agree. I don't think he's "better" than GL though. They're both in their slightly different styles equally excellent is what I'd say - not quite in Des Lynham territory, but certainly not far off it.
Weren’t there reports that is was Mark Chapman lined up? He now works for sky on the league cup.

sorry i got the wrong Mark Chapman. deleted my opinion on him, LOL

Last edited:

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Mods banning any anti Lineker posts.
Don't be ridiculous. There's a Lineker thread in the politics section you can use to your hearts content. Its been made clear that to stay here/open this one needs to be about football and the Match of the Day format.

oldgold4ever

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Don't be ridiculous. There's a Lineker thread in the politics section you can use to your hearts content. It's been made clear that to stay here/open this one needs to be about football and the Match of the Day format.
Respectfully, on this occasion I would say the over zealous moderation is ridiculous. My comment that any show without Lineker is a bonus is relevant to the MOTD short show thread. You might be pro Gary Luvie Linekar, but others are not and would gladly see the back of him. Please tolerate opinions other than your own.

Last edited:

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Respectfully, on this occasion I would say the over zealous moderation is ridiculous. My comment that any show without Lineker is a bonus is relevant to the MOTD short show thread. You might be pro Gary Luvie Linekar, but others are not and would gladly see the back of him. Please tolerate opinions other than your own.
Don't be ridiculous. There's a Lineker thread in the politics section you can use to your hearts content. Its been made clear that to stay here/open this one needs to be about football and the Match of the Day format.
And I repeat the above...

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've not watched it yet. I tend not to unless Wolves have had a good result...

But it seems it's the same highlights without the analysis, hence why it was a shorter program. I'm finding it hard to understand how it's some amazing new format - it's the same format with no talking between matches. May as well watch the highlights on the LiveScore app.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I'm definitely pro luvie Lineker and have also had my comments overzealously moderated (I used the exact same terminology in my riposte too), so at least the mods are consistent.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Off course the show and football needs commentators , they can do away with the 'expert 'co commentator's who ruin it....but the reason I don't watch match of the day is there is too much punditory......last night showed exactly what it is....20 mins football ..that's all. . It's normally 40 mins of waffle on top....

Personally don't care what the likes of Lineker, shearer , wright and all the rabble on sky think ....if they knew what there were on about they would be involved in the game , instead of talking the easy option to 'talk' about it ..
My brother visiting from the US commented how he loves the MOTD format. They have comprehensive highlights in the peacock app but no analysis.

That's what MOTD is. Highlights and analysis. It always has been for as long as I remember. You may not like how the highlights are edited or that the punditry is often one eyed, but that's the format...

Change it and it's just another highlights show, but with shorter highlights. What's the point in that?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My brother visiting from the US commented how he loves the MOTD format. They have comprehensive highlights in the peacock app but no analysis.

That's what MOTD is. Highlights and analysis. It always has been for as long as I remember. You may not like how the highlights are edited or that the punditry is often one eyed, but that's the format...

Change it and it's just another highlights show, but with shorter highlights. What's the point in that?
Agree. If people don't agree with the analysis, then who is stopping them? FWIW, I sometimes do, though not often, as I think the MOTD pundits generally know what they are talking about (unlike half-wits such as Paul Merson and Garth Crooks). I don't get this idea that it's a relief not to have to listen to 'expert' opinion, which seems the fashionable thing to say in so many contexts.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exactly. One of the benefits of being in the PL is MOTD.

The football league highlights package on ITV is not a favourable format. Trying to cover too many matches, and analysis for the selected games is minimal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
And as this is showing signs of heading towards the political again (posts edited or removed) please remember that discussion is in the politics forum. This one needs to remain on the Match of the Day format.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I must admit I don’t often watch MOTD as I can easily see the highlights elsewhere. I don’t need Shearer and Wright to tell me what I should think. I enjoyed the format at the weekend, others didn’t. That’s how it is.

Back
Top Bottom