Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Most football manager game type window ever?

LW1

Groupie
Reaction score
So it looks like it's sell, sell, sell, then buy up and coming/good value old players. Don't remember a window quite as game like as this one looks like it will be!?!

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Always wondered about that game, never played it, I have a mate who is obsessed with it to an extreme and I know my lads and their mates always reference it when new players are mentioned.

Is it worth someone like me, who's favourite computer game is Space Invaders, giving it a go? Feels like I should but I my Molineux Mix obsession is already enough to inflate my daily screen time stats.

I have, over the years, tried to maintain a Fantasy Football Team but last time I made it to the end of the season was when @SanFranWolf beat my then 8 year old lad by 1 point on the final game in 2001. I usually lose interest about the same time as I did with my Shoot! League Table Ladders mid to late September.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nah, the Solbakken summer window was much more like it - sign a load of highly recommended players, then sit back and profit. Oh, hold on, those players I found on a list of good players were before the data update, now they're all rubbish?!

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always wondered about that game, never played it, I have a mate who is obsessed with it to an extreme and I know my lads and their mates always reference it when new players are mentioned.

Is it worth someone like me, who's favourite computer game is Space Invaders, giving it a go? Feels like I should but I my Molineux Mix obsession is already enough to inflate my daily screen time stats.

It's a fantastic game.

But it's very time consuming, and perhaps quite difficult to pick up at first so probably depends on how much free time you have.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully we can get Richard Rufus and Enrico Chiesa in while they’re still young.. Bid 0, Bid 0 again and then Bid £1 on third attempt and they will accept.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I have, over the years, tried to maintain a Fantasy Football Team but last time I made it to the end of the season was when @SanFranWolf beat my then 8 year old lad by 1 point on the final game in 2001. I usually lose interest about the same time as I did with my Shoot! League Table Ladders mid to late September.
Don’t do it! It’s an absolute wormhole. It’s more addictive than jammy dodgers. I managed to walk away from it a few years ago but for a period it sucked me right in. I’d tell myself “I’ll just play for an hour” at 7pm and next thing I know it’s 2am and I’m up in 4 hours lol.

If you have a strategic mind it’s brilliant. Like Jay out the inbetweeners I took Kiddy Harriers into the champions league and was convinced the FA would tap me up

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I had a Bradley Johnson (not the one at MK Dons) come down and watch my team play last night with a view he's coming to a training session on Tuesday.
Ex England youth international U16/17/18 who was at Leeds/City a decade or so ago...
One of my players even said - always signed you on Football Manager as a future player ...lol - talk about fan boy

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t do it! It’s an absolute wormhole. It’s more addictive than jammy dodgers. I managed to walk away from it a few years ago but for a period it sucked me right in. I’d tell myself “I’ll just play for an hour” at 7pm and next thing I know it’s 2am and I’m up in 4 hours lol.

If you have a strategic mind it’s brilliant. Like Jay out the inbetweeners I took Kiddy Harriers into the champions league and was convinced the FA would tap me up
This.

I started playing it after a long hiatus (FM2002 anyone?) during the pandemic and I was basically spending more time managing Wolves than working, tending to my kids, spending time with my wife COMBINED.

It has that fiendish 'one more go' quality. I'll JUST sign that player, I'll JUST play the next match then do something else (usually involving eating, sleeping or brushing teeth, none of which are really important).

Even worse, when you're not playing, you're thinking about it. new tactics, new players, mining Reddit for memes.

1689348617234.png

You're going to love it.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Think I'll give FM a miss by the looks of it. I've missed too many showers, my lawn is overgrown, the fridge is empty, I'm an alcoholic and I have a beard because to the Summer Transfer Window Thread, god knows what state I'd be in if I started this malarky

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Tamwolf and I'm a recovering Football Manager addict.

I am now 5 years clean, after my last laptop died and I have refused to buy a new laptop or PC to run it. There are times where I'm tempted to buy one just to play, but I've managed to overcome the urge so far.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
I play FM pretty religiously. I have it running while I work, I play on the Steam App while I poop.... Currently 6 points clear of Manchester United in February, with Kalajdzic battling it out with Haaland for top scorer.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I would recommend downloading Championship Manager 01/02 and then just downloading databases from any year between then and now. It gets an update every autumn and spring. The nice thing is it only takes about 6 hours to get through a season too.

If you are just starting on FM, I would recommend the Touch version. Proper FM on a proper laptop is just too intricate to be enjoyable nowadays, in my opinion.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

It is essentially “crack” in digital form. Once it gets its claws into you it will take over your life.

You say to yourself “just one more match before bed” and then suddenly you look at the calendar and it’s one month later, your boss has let you go and the wife has taken the kids and left!

Best to stay away!!

so-called fan

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I would recommend downloading Championship Manager 01/02 and then just downloading databases from any year between then and now. It gets an update every autumn and spring. The nice thing is it only takes about 6 hours to get through a season too.

If you are just starting on FM, I would recommend the Touch version. Proper FM on a proper laptop is just too intricate to be enjoyable nowadays, in my opinion.
That's a wonderful site. Proper dedication.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FM is the kind of game that demands addiction, the immersion is everything. There are times when it becomes more real - certainly more satisfying and rewarding - than actual football. The narrative breathes.

Joao Gomes last year, the way he fought to come to us, then scoring on his debut... it's beautiful, but that rush is rare in football. In FM you get that kind of kick an awful lot. The young striker or attacking midfielder you buy from Red Star Belgrade or Club Brugge who bags a 30-yard corker in his first game, the kid who comes through the youth system to rule your midfield, the Argentinian defender who kicks seven shades out of anyone who comes near him and who wins the match against a hated rival. That game with ten goals, that game with fifteen yellow cards and two reds. Seeing a wonderkid with average stats at 17 escalate like a train to be superhuman by 21. Because the seasons progress relatively quickly, the special moments and the memories stack up.

Couldn't live without it.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes, I got sort of back into it via legacy 01/02 with new squads. But then bit the bullet and bought FM22.

There is just too much going on nowadays, it becomes a slog. But it can be very enjoyable. Get a top assistant in, delegate all the squad stuff you hate (training schedules can do one), get a decent DoF and let them fill up your backroom, then you’re pretty much stripped down to tactics, matches, signing players.

It’s the tactics and player roles that make it worth the aggro. Being able to play Neves as a ‘defensive, deep lying playmaker’, the composition of your midfield and such, it’s just lovely.

Wolf616

Groupie
Reaction score
I realised the other day, to my shame, that my FM transfer window approach is almost identical to wolves over the last couple of years: buy far too many wide forwards for two roles and then very quickly realise every single one of them is **** but have no other option and just rotate them in and out

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Played championship manager 98/99. Lasted 20 seasons at Wolves. Finally got promoted away at Portsmouth, my Chilean striker Christian Poli got the winner.
Never won a ****ing thing, lost the UEFA cup final to Man City in Tel Aviv.
Eventually got sacked after a poor run of form and went to Leeds. Wasn’t the same so packed it in and have never gone back. 24 years clean.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't wait to see To Madeira, Julius Aghahowa And Tonton Moukoko in a Wolves shirt. Goals won't be a problem and with Duff, West, Said and Antonsson in front of Eleftherpoulos, we'll be sorted. Forgot to mention the midfield of Kerr, Robben and Selakovic. Easy Prem title.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Another FM recovering addict here.

It is a very accurate game, it uses pro zone for its scouting data which is used by the real clubs.

It gets some wrong regards wonder kids but id say it gets a lot more right, so as a football fan you do end up a step ahead.

It is time consuming but it's also easy to have it on in the background, you can just click away whilst the Mrs watches the soaps, whilst you're at work as some have said, during your cousins wedding perhaps.

McSteen

Groupie
Reaction score
Recovering FM addict here as well.
Been playing since the first Championship Manager in 92 on the Amiga.
Dropped of a few years ago, now I think it's to slow progress in the gameplay with all the press conferences, player interactions and micro management.
Never had any success managing Wolves, but had 21 successful seasons with the mighty Stags from Mansfield on the old CM. Think it's more fun managing in the lower divisions than the big clubs.

PS. I own the actual manager's bench coat featured on the cover of FM 2005. Got it at an auction by Sports Interactive in a fundraiser for War Child. Still have it, best thing I've ever bought. :grinning:

Attachments

• Fm2005cover.jpg
    Fm2005cover.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 6

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi, I'm James and I'm a FM addict

Currently in the January of 2028 in the 27/28 season.

The game started with Darmstadt 98 in the 2nd Bundesliga, from there I won the 2ns Bundesliga and recorded a 5th place finish in the Bundesliga the following season. 3rd season in whilst playing Europa League football I managed to beat Arsenal on penalties to win the whole thing whilst also finishing 4th, guiding them to Champions League football for the first time.

Since then I've recorded back to back 2nd place finishes runners up of the German cup twice. In the process of this I managed to guide Darmstadt's real striker Phillip Tietz (yep that's his name) to become the club's all time top scorer with 128 goals at the time of this post. Currently in 27/28 I sit top by 2 points with a win over Bayern, first competitive wins over Leipzig and Real Madrid. This season might finally be the season I topple Bayern's dominance ... I hope.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves are an absolute beast on FM22 if just play to key players strength. Top 3, win the league, deep in the CL are all relatively straightforward.
But play as anyone else, we get relegated within 2 years guaranteed under AI management.
It’s crazy.

In other football gaming nerdism, just had to throw in a FIFA 23 mixed cringe/brag.
I finally won a Div 1 league title in online seasons.
For the first time since started playing that game mode. It may very well have been FIFA16.
Takes the shine off a little but still chuffed.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Recovering FM addict here as well.
Been playing since the first Championship Manager in 92 on the Amiga.
Dropped of a few years ago, now I think it's to slow progress in the gameplay with all the press conferences, player interactions and micro management.
Never had any success managing Wolves, but had 21 successful seasons with the mighty Stags from Mansfield on the old CM. Think it's more fun managing in the lower divisions than the big clubs.

PS. I own the actual manager's bench coat featured on the cover of FM 2005. Got it at an auction by Sports Interactive in a fundraiser for War Child. Still have it, best thing I've ever bought. :grinning:

I too am an addict.

I started off small time in the world of football management games.

Dabbling back in the early 90’s with the likes of Premier Manager and Sensible World of Soccer on the Amiga.

I didn’t realise it then, but these games were a gateway into something far harder.

It was at a friend’s house a few years later that I was first introduced to Championship Manager. I’ll never forget the feeling of my first fix. I wanted more. But my Mom was picking me up at 7.30.

I got home and it was all I could think about. I managed to scrape together enough money from my NatWest savings account and my paper round to buy Championship Manager 93/94. I spent all my money on it.

What a product. Like nothing to hit the streets before!

Sadly, my addiction saw me lose my paper round a few weeks later, after not turning up too many times in the morning, thanks to binging on CM 93/94 into the early hours far too often.

You’ll be pleased to hear that nowadays, my addiction is more controlled. But it is still there. Always will be. I’m tempted even now to get out of bed and start a new save!

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wolves are an absolute beast on FM22 if just play to key players strength. Top 3, win the league, deep in the CL are all relatively straightforward.
But play as anyone else, we get relegated within 2 years guaranteed under AI management.
It’s crazy.

In other football gaming nerdism, just had to throw in a FIFA 23 mixed cringe/brag.
I finally won a Div 1 league title in online seasons.
For the first time since started playing that game mode. It may very well have been FIFA16.
Takes the shine off a little but still chuffed.

One of the big issues with the game is it's massive bias towards the player

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the big issues with the game is it's massive bias towards the player
It is too easy once you’ve been playing long enough to know how it all works. The only added difficulty is artificial, like CPU clubs demanding ridiculous transfer fees from you but then selling to a fellow CPU club for relative pennies.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It is too easy once you’ve been playing long enough to know how it all works. The only added difficulty is artificial, like CPU clubs demanding ridiculous transfer fees from you but then selling to a fellow CPU club for relative pennies.

Yes thats why I stopped playing.

I found one tactic ends up a bit of a cheat as long as you keep morale high, transfers are too easy with players joining who never would, but then who would want to play a game where they made no progression in 4-5 seasons.

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes thats why I stopped playing.

I found one tactic ends up a bit of a cheat as long as you keep morale high, transfers are too easy with players joining who never would, but then who would want to play a game where they made no progression in 4-5 seasons.
I must admit I turn off attribute masking though as I find it tedious. That would make it more difficult I suppose, especially for lower league clubs with no scouting network, but far less fun.

Wolf616

Groupie
Reaction score
I always play as AFC Telford these days, keeping it local. Just got back to back to back promotions to L1.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I must admit I turn off attribute masking though as I find it tedious. That would make it more difficult I suppose, especially for lower league clubs with no scouting network, but far less fun.

Employing terrible scouts would make it more difficult by giving you inaccurate ideas of player potential.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi, I'm James and I'm a FM addict

Currently in the January of 2028 in the 27/28 season.

The game started with Darmstadt 98 in the 2nd Bundesliga, from there I won the 2ns Bundesliga and recorded a 5th place finish in the Bundesliga the following season. 3rd season in whilst playing Europa League football I managed to beat Arsenal on penalties to win the whole thing whilst also finishing 4th, guiding them to Champions League football for the first time.

Since then I've recorded back to back 2nd place finishes runners up of the German cup twice. In the process of this I managed to guide Darmstadt's real striker Phillip Tietz (yep that's his name) to become the club's all time top scorer with 128 goals at the time of this post. Currently in 27/28 I sit top by 2 points with a win over Bayern, first competitive wins over Leipzig and Real Madrid. This season might finally be the season I topple Bayern's dominance ... I hope.

If Bayern get toppled, it must be a bug in the game! Impossible in real life.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Bayern get toppled, it must be a bug in the game! Impossible in real life.
Worst thing is, in game they do consistently crap in Europe which just slows German football down. I run the Dortmund stance with them, I refuse to sell to them at any cost

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we sign Cresswell for reliable cover, because we have decided Bueno is our highest potential and youngest left back and Giles and Ait Nouri can generate us funds for other positions then I am convinced Matt Hobbs has been playing real life FM.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we sign Cresswell for reliable cover, because we have decided Bueno is our highest potential and youngest left back and Giles and Ait Nouri can generate us funds for other positions then I am convinced Matt Hobbs has been playing real life FM.

Ran needs to move back to France by the sound of it . I don’t think we would sell him if it wasn’t for these personal reasons

Giles has never played in the prem, and is in very high demand for the championship. When would he play if Bueno and toti play? And we can’t afford another loan.

Makes sense IMO

Back
Top Bottom