Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Most Effective/ Influencial WOLVES MANAGER?

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thoughts on who Mixers think has been the most Effective / Influencial, WOLVES MANAGER, , post Sir Stan Cullis?

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My 5 penneth: Ranked in NO particular order!
Nuno,
Graham Taylor.
Graham Turner,
Kenny Jacket.
John Barnwell,

Last edited:

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nunomin his first couple of years without question.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno,
Graham Taylor.
Graham Turner,
Kenny Jacket.
John Barnwell,
Interesting. I would agree except l think Bill McGarry must be in there - but then l can't decide who l'd drop - most likely Taylor as although he did big things with the academy he didn't achieve much with the first team.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting. I would agree except l think Bill McGarry must be in there - but then l can't decide who l'd drop - most likely Taylor as although he did big things with the academy he didn't achieve much with the first team.
Re Bill Mcgarry:
Trouble is that the reason I didn't include him, was because of the 'alleged', dislike that his squad members had for him.
I realise that this shouldn't have influenced my judgement but it did!!

Wolfmeister75

Groupie
Reaction score
Re Bill Mcgarry:
Trouble is that the reason I didn't include him, was because of the 'alleged', dislike that his squad members had for him.
From what I heard everyone was scared of him!! Must have had their respect though.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my 37 years of supporting I’d say
Graham Turner - for lifting us through the divisions and giving us heroes
Mick MCCarthy - For taking a load of cheap average players and getting us to the premier league. Hated how he was sacked after losing to them lot
Kenny Jackett - unsung hero. Taking a squad who most despised, getting rid of the bomb squad and getting some players we actually liked. Was unlucky Morgan pulled the funding I think he could have got us promoted to the premier league
Nuno - much like mick, horrible how the love affair ended. Come over as having a genuine love for the club and the fans, created the best squad and feeling I’ve seen. Delivered my dream of seeing the wolves away in Europe.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the USA there is the Mount Rushmore sculpture of 4 major US Presidents if there was a Wolves one it would for me be John Barnwell, Graham Turner, Kenny Jackett and Nuno ( With planning permission in for a Julen Lopetegui extension if he can save this cow pat of a season :):):) )

Mick justs loses to Kenny Jackett as it was absolutely vital Wolves got out of the third tier at the first attempt as without that achievement I am convinced there would be no Fosun and therefore no Nuno.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bill McGarry by a mile took us to a European final won the League cup built probably the best side since the 50s
2 top 6 finishes in the top division Europe twice and the famous Texaco cup win
His failure to rebuild an aging team was his downfall,but had a great 5/6 years in the 70s

Last edited:

Wolfmeister75

Groupie
Reaction score
In the USA there is the Mount Rushmore sculpture of 4 major US Presidents if there was a Wolves one it would for me be John Barnwell, Graham Turner, Kenny Jackett and Nuno ( With planning permission in for a Julen Lopetegui extension if he can save this cow pat of a season :):):) )

Mick justs loses to Kenny Jackett as it was absolutely vital Wolves got out of the third tier at the first attempt as without that achievement I am convinced there would be no Fosun and therefore no Nuno.
Keeping Sako was vital. He ripped up that league. Jackett did a brilliant job tho

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re Bill Mcgarry:
No top manager is liked by his squad but they respect him,look at Cullis and Fergie in particular neither likeable but very effective

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno

I don’t think I’ve seen a change in style at any club as much as Nuno did and how successful we were at it .

Just ashame he had no plan B to adapt

Reaction score
For me the list has to include McCarthy as he inherited a squad that could'nt even field an eleven of regular first team players. On a shoe string budget he built an exciting side that arrested the decline and brought attacking football back to molineux.
I loved the late 60's early 70's team, such a great side however I credit Ronnie Allen with building that side so must include him rather than McGarry.
Top of the list must be Nuno, an inspirational character who made such an impact on the Wolves the like of which I have never seen before and likely will never see again.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me the list has to include McCarthy as he inherited a squad that could'nt even field an eleven of regular first team players. On a shoe string budget he built an exciting side that arrested the decline and brought attacking football back to molineux.
I loved the late 60's early 70's team, such a great side however I credit Ronnie Allen with building that side so must include him rather than McGarry.
Top of the list must be Nuno, an inspirational character who made such an impact on the Wolves the like of which I have never seen before and likely will never see again.

That team McCarthy constructed together around the turn of 2007 really got me back into football. It had just become habit rather than anything remotely enjoyable for 3-4 years prior to then.

Playing with two direct wingers in Kightly and McIndoe. Great to watch. Particularly Kightly, he was outrageously good during that period.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got to agree with you CW, I was in 2 minds about including Ronnie Allen and in hindsight I now wish that I had, as he did an excellent job for us and recruited some top class players ! On top of that, my wife thought he was dishy !!
If only Peter Knowles hadn't answered the door and invited The Jehoveas Witness into his home, who knows what we might have achieved !!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For most effective, does that mean best?

1 - Bill McGarry. He may not have been popular, but he got results. Under him we won the League Cup, reached a European Final, FA Cup semi final and he got us into the top six. In my humble opinion, he has been the most effective manager in my lifetime.

2 - Graham Turner. He took over a club that was in disarray and got terrible abuse for signing a couple of players from the Albion Reserves. He guided the club out of the dark days.

3 - Mick McCarthy. Similar to Turner, though we were in the championship with no players when he took over. He got a lot of journeymen to begin with, but gradually moulded us into a team that got up and stayed up for three years, and I think he would have kept us up had the club not panicked after the defeat to the Albion.

4 - Nuno. He did a brilliant job, but unlike Turner and McCarthy, he had the tools to do the job. Nuno had the best affinity with the fans of any other manager we have had, and gave us some great days.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got to agree with you CW, I was in 2 minds about including Ronnie Allen and in hindsight I now wish that I had, as he did an excellent job for us and recruited some top class players ! On top of that, my wife thought he was dishy !!
If only Peter Knowles hadn't answered the door and invited The Jehoveas Witness into his home, who knows what we might have achieved !!
Although i agree that Allen laid the foundations he only had 1 season in the top division a 17th place finish
McGarry had 8 years at the top with a low of 13th i think until the final relegation season so has to be right up there imo with his record over that period

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nuno,
Graham Taylor.
Graham Turner,
Kenny Jacket.
John Barnwell,

agree with those, except Graham Taylor. and would add these 3
Ronnie Allen..(late 60s.)
Bill McGarry
Nuno

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For most effective, does that mean best?

1 - Bill McGarry. He may not have been popular, but he got results. Under him we won the League Cup, reached a European Final, FA Cup semi final and he got us into the top six. In my humble opinion, he has been the most effective manager in my lifetime.

2 - Graham Turner. He took over a club that was in disarray and got terrible abuse for signing a couple of players from the Albion Reserves. He guided the club out of the dark days.

3 - Mick McCarthy. Similar to Turner, though we were in the championship with no players when he took over. He got a lot of journeymen to begin with, but gradually moulded us into a team that got up and stayed up for three years, and I think he would have kept us up had the club not panicked after the defeat to the Albion.

4 - Nuno. He did a brilliant job, but unlike Turner and McCarthy, he had the tools to do the job. Nuno had the best affinity with the fans of any other manager we have had, and gave us some great days.
Well FL, in response to your query regarding
'Most Effective' I was not necessarily implying 'The Best'.
I was really referring to the influence that affected not only the squad but The Club perse.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with that. Taylor a good manager, but maybe a case of right man wrong time off the back of England job

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honerable mention for Dave Jones, finally took us back to the top division
Yes DEFINITELY!!
Also seemed to be a Top Guy, in terms of communication, not just with players but also the media and Supporters!!

SydneyWolf26

Groupie
Reaction score
No mention of Trigger?
Nuno has to be up there, particularly in the influential category. The man cast a spell over a whole city.

eastowe

Reaction score
Bill McGarry by a mile took us to a European final won the League cup built probably the best side since the 50s
2 top 6 finishes in the top division Europe twice and the famous Texaco cup win
His failure to rebuild an aging team was his downfall,but had a great 5/6 years in the 70s
Think I have to agree that McGarry was very infuential

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
in order for me

Nuno.... obvious
Turner....from the ashes
Jackett...almost from the ashes
Jones......Finally after all those years and managing big reputations
Mick.....Nice promotion run and survival

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can only really talk about my lifetime....so...

Nuno
Mick Mccarthy
Graham Turner
Dave Jones
Kenny Jackett

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nuno so good he should be included twice? Look at the top of Elvis' list lol....
actually I was talking about Mick McNuno Wicked, Barnsley lad with an Irish accent, LOL.
OK I missed that in Elvis list, now "I'm All Shook Up", so "Don't Be Cruel" it is Christmas you know.
Happy Xmas Wicked and all others who can read my writing.

Back
Top Bottom