Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White - Opinions?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MGW is miles ahead of where Traore was this time last year, so who knows what may yet happen?

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get this division of opinions between wolves fans re: MGW.

I think the truth is somewhere in between the diverse opinions. And it lies there, obscured, because both the detractors and the praisers refuse to come out and bluntly say what might in today's snowflake age be considered as unacceptable.

So let me spell it out as I see it.

The Good: He's young, he has skill, he's home grown. Yes, he is a football player that has potential, and is ALREADY contributing. He is a smart player, as can be seen when occasionally his flicks work.
The Bad: Showboats, either through bad decision making or because he can't help using "flair". A tad slow in chasing (but not as slow with the ball). Tackling is terrible. He needs to have space himself to pick a pass. Not robust enough to play in a position that needs grit.
The Ugly: There are times, especially when he's being given the run around and he pretends to try and tackle, where he flops and minces. In other words, sometimes he's a sissy. Which is what nobody wants to say.

But I will admit, he's hardening up. I thought he was brilliant against Braga

It's a dilemma. Football fans are weird. They want their players to have class, flair, and exquisite skills. Yet at the same time expect them to be able to bulldoze through walls, shrug off thugs and win a chess game whilst hammering in an unstoppable shot that breaks the net.

And all by the time they're 20.

Good luck.

Last edited:

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't expect him to rip it up "oh wise one." I expect him to finish the odd sitter or at the very least work on his decision making.

The biggest issue is he doesn't play any better versus weaker opposition. So I'm not even sure he could hack it in the Championship.

There's players the same age that would annihilate those weaker sides that aren't even in the Premier League.
He is 19.

Drop the shovel, you're looking foolish.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is 19.

Drop the shovel, you're looking foolish.
Oh cool. Maybe we would just sign all the 19-year-olds and we can use that line every time.

Funny that you just fire back insults instead of using anything proof at all to make me think I'm maybe wrong. But you don't. Cause the only proof is every 270 minutes he does one brilliant thing and that gives him a pass for the next 270 minutes.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh cool. Maybe we would just sign all the 19-year-olds and we can use that line every time.

Funny that you just fire back insults instead of using anything proof at all to make me think I'm maybe wrong. But you don't. Cause the only proof is every 270 minutes he does one brilliant thing and that gives him a pass for the next 270 minutes.
The proof was he is 19 years old. I said three player of whom none would argue are great players but at the age of 19 were doing absolutely nothing.

I don't need to prove anything, you just keep making yourself look foolish.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The proof was he is 19 years old. I said three player of whom none would argue are great players but at the age of 19 were doing absolutely nothing.

I don't need to prove anything, you just keep making yourself look foolish.
I don't look foolish at all. There are tons of players I could say that ended to doing nothing too. A lot more examples actually.

I don't feel like looking it up but how were those players doing in the lower leagues when loaned? Cause GW doesn't look any better versus bad opposition.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't look foolish at all. There are tons of players I could say that ended to doing nothing too. A lot more examples actually.

I don't feel like looking it up but how were those players doing in the lower leagues when loaned? Cause GW doesn't look any better versus bad opposition.
Neves looked terrible against Reading?

The thing is, writing off a kid who's 19 just doesn't make any sense, that's why I think you're foolish.

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
He's better than he was AND (hopefully) not as good as he's going to be - as it should be at 19 :rolleyes:

Y

Yout85

He's one of our own. He's one of our own. Morgan Gibbs-White, he's one of our own. He's gonna be class. He's gonna be class. Morgan Gibbs-White, he's gonna be class. But he's only 19. He's only 19. Give him a chance guys, he's only 19. He needs our support. He needs our support. Morgan Gibbs-White, he needs our support.

Kennedy

Reaction score
He was really bright against Braga and we went backwards when he came off.

Great opportunity for him tonight but if he doesn't get a hat trick the guys around me will just say he is cr@p..

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big experience for the kid tonight. Hope we're all behind him.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get this division of opinions between wolves fans re: MGW.

I think the truth is somewhere in between the diverse opinions. And it lies there, obscured, because both the detractors and the praisers refuse to come out and bluntly say what might in today's snowflake age be considered as unacceptable.

So let me spell it out as I see it.

The Good: He's young, he has skill, he's home grown. Yes, he is a football player that has potential, and is ALREADY contributing. He is a smart player, as can be seen when occasionally his flicks work.
The Bad: Showboats, either through bad decision making or because he can't help using "flair". A tad slow in chasing (but not as slow with the ball). Tackling is terrible. He needs to have space himself to pick a pass. Not robust enough to play in a position that needs grit.
The Ugly: There are times, especially when he's being given the run around and he pretends to try and tackle, where he flops and minces. In other words, sometimes he's a sissy. Which is what nobody wants to say.

But I will admit, he's hardening up. I thought he was brilliant against Braga

It's a dilemma. Football fans are weird. They want their players to have class, flair, and exquisite skills. Yet at the same time expect them to be able to bulldoze through walls, shrug off thugs and win a chess game whilst hammering in an unstoppable shot that breaks the net.

And all by the time they're 20.

Good luck.

Well said my friend.
MGW shows so much potential but needs to cut out all the showboating and practice his shooting.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He really frustrates the hell out of me. Tries tricks that don't come off and gives the ball away. Too lightweight imo. He's in the side because of the lack of depth in our squad.

Reactions: Ian

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He really frustrates the hell out of me. Tries tricks that don't come off and gives the ball away. Too lightweight imo. He's in the side because of the lack of depth in our squad.

He certainly shouldn't be anywhere near the wing. Useless there. He needs to be sat behind the front two.

D

Deleted member 4124

Centre mid playing as a winger. It’s really unfair on him from Nuno. Turns the fans against him and destroys his confidence.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Centre mid playing as a winger. It’s really unfair on him from Nuno. Turns the fans against him and destroys his confidence.
It's a puzzling pick, but tbh I am not sure he is any better in the middle. He makes poor choices and has poor ball retention irrespective of where he is on the pitch...

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a puzzling pick, but tbh I am not sure he is any better in the middle. He makes poor choices and has poor ball retention irrespective of where he is on the pitch...

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good experience in Turkey for MGW and Neto this is Europa not championship, they will only learn and improve. Made up for both of them.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's definitely not a winger. Although didn't look a whole lot worse than Neto this evening who is a natural winger in fairness. Both have a lot of talent with more to come

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was poor, but to be fair he was out of position.

Credit to Nuno, he realised we had space down the flanks, and that their LB was a late replacement for their regular starter who was injured in the warm up. Traore exploited this to great effect

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was poor, but to be fair he was out of position.

Credit to Nuno, he realised we had space down the flanks, and that their LB was a late replacement for their regular starter who was injured in the warm up. Traore exploited this to great effect
Not sure Nuno deserves much credit for that. Adama should have started.

D

Deleted member 4124

I'm struggling with him. I just don't see anything that he offers the team. I may get laughed at, but I saw more prospect in Enobakhare and Ronan.
Enobakhare is at Wigan and Ronan is in Slovakia while Gibbs-White just played against Besiktas in the Europa League, so yes that is a laughable suggestion.

D

Deleted member 4124

You people never learn. Last year, Traore was bambi on ice, would never make it, awful, our worst player. Now he’s our best player apparently. So you’ve moved on to the next kid. Idiots.

DarloWolf

Reaction score
You people never learn. Last year, Traore was bambi on ice, would never make it, awful, our worst player. Now he’s our best player apparently. So you’ve moved on to the next kid. Idiots.

18m for was bambi on ice?

Now he’s our best player apparently , shows how thin the team is . Traore already had it all , nuno showed him the way.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I was championing Traore throughout last season on here and Social Media. In fact, I was sick to death of arguing about him. But I do so, mainly because I saw the attributes he did have and how much he could potentially improve with hard work and coaching. The difference with Gibbs-White is that I don't see any specific aspects of his game that are good enough. What does he offer the side? Where is his best position?

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He doesn't seem to have an identity on the pitch yet. There's not one definable element that he brings with him. "Oh, Gibbs-White, that will give us..." In his exciting cameos in the early part of last season he seemed to have that identity. He was direct, willing to shoot, and could pick a pass. You knew when he came on that the team was adding an attacking option. He helped force the issue with the formation change, because it looked like we had a natural number 10 in need of a role. But then the change happened, and he didn't seize a place in the team. Right now, that identity is missing.

Not the end of the world. All players can go through dips, and young players need that time to develop. But for right now, I don't think he's a player that can make a difference in games.

D

Deleted member 4124

right I’m taking a ban for the team !!!

okresh you are a complete ****! **** off and leave our club alone.

I do apologise but cannot was understand how this poster continues get away with his ****e!

I maybe be back but it depends on the mods.

again I apologise for my language.
I see someone found his dad’s liquor cabinet.

Case in point by the way: Traore, what’s not right?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MGW is miles ahead of where Traore was this time last year, so who knows what may yet happen?

Other than in terms of "End Product", MGW now makes even the Traore of a year ago look infinitely productive. Because anything divided by zero is infinity. I don't get why, because for England he gets regular goals and assists, but not with us yet.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think MGW was any worse than a couple of others today in all honesty.

Thought Raul was poor, and Neves too (bar the assist).
Raul is tired. The commentators said he has played in a tournament every summer since 2012!!!!!!
Ruben was poor though, this team gave him the space and it still wasnt working (apart from the assist!).

Back
Top Bottom