Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Molineux Atmosphere

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ok If that’s what you think, you are too easily pleased, we are better than some in the Prem, but that bar is low, it’s now an English thing, English grounds are not intimidating, a lot of grounds abroad are, as it clearly shows when Euro clubs supporters turn up in our stadiums. Maybe u get it now I have had to spell it out to you, yes we chant, but rarely intimidate now, there is a difference
I find the whole European ultras a bit of a myth tbh. What’s intimidating about a drum, some flares and a load of middle aged blokes jumping up and down waving flags? It’s far too “staged” to be intimidating.

Oakhamwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I find the whole European ultras a bit of a myth tbh. What’s intimidating about a drum, some flares and a load of middle aged blokes jumping up and down waving flags? It’s far too “staged” to be intimidating.
I agree but I never mentioned Ultra’s, if you have been to Turkey, Eastern block or some of the South American countries, they can be very intimidating, put them against us or any other English crowds, we aren’t intimidating, just saying.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree but I never mentioned Ultra’s, if you have been to Turkey, Eastern block or some of the South American countries, they can be very intimidating, put them against us or any other English crowds, we aren’t intimidating, just saying.
Each to their own, I find it all a bit theatrical to be intimidating to be honest.

superwolves

Reaction score
We might not be able to spend as much money as some of the clubs were competing against to be able to attract some of the best players but when it comes to passion and being supportive of our team every club has an equal footing to be the best. Maybe teams with the best atmosphere might be able to attract a certain player based on the atmosphere they provide. Our role at wolves is to provide the intimidating atmosphere that can turn a draw into a win. I'm sure as supporters we could have done better Maybe that could have been the difference on where we finish up in the league

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ok If that’s what you think, you are too easily pleased, we are better than some in the Prem, but that bar is low, it’s now an English thing, English grounds are not intimidating, a lot of grounds abroad are, as it clearly shows when Euro clubs supporters turn up in our stadiums. Maybe u get it now I have had to spell it out to you, yes we chant, but rarely intimidate now, there is a difference

thanks for spelling it out, I’ve only been going to football for a couple of years obvs

beppe7619

Reaction score
I think since molineux has been all seater the atmosphere has been flat to. Maybe we could bring in the singing end and put the fans in there

optimuswolf

Reaction score
Man Utd in 2019 or Palace in the 97 playoffs.

Which was the better atmosphere?
Very late to this. I was there in 97 and it was electrifying. It wasn't particularly singing either it was more primal noise for the most part. Booming boos, piercing whistles, explosive applause and cheers.

I wasnt at the fa cup qf in 2019 but on telly it sounded good.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can someone judge what the atmosphere was like in a stadium when it was terracing .when they never been. The south bank atmosphere is dreadful now to how it use to be
... and that wasn't as good as the old Cowshed North Bank.

R

reanswolf

I think the 6000 currently in the South bank as an all-seater stadium can create immensely good noise, even compared to the old terrace days.

Don't get me wrong, the Old Cowshed and South bank were great occasionally, but I don't think they were any better than the South Bank in certain all-seater games.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the atmosphere at Molineux is great. Away fans often comment about it being a ‘proper ground’ and how vocal our support is. I love the place but I guess it’s something else for people to moan about.
I’m not for one minute saying it’s perfect. I mean it’s hard to sing up, when it feels like you’re getting royally dry pegged by the likes of Burnley, Huddersfield and Brentford.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the atmosphere at Molineux is great. Away fans often comment about it being a ‘proper ground’ and how vocal our support is. I love the place but I guess it’s something else for people to moan about.
I’m not for one minute saying it’s perfect. I mean it’s hard to sing up, when it feels like you’re getting royally dry pegged by the likes of Burnley, Huddersfield and Brentford.
My thoughts too. Plenty of neutrals are very complimentary about the atmosphere at Molineux

This thread is the classic everything was better in my day, whereas the reality is it was much the same as now

beppe7619

Reaction score
There was some bad games in the old south bank I stayed until the end most people left at half time

beppe7619

Reaction score
THAT own goal.
I couldn’t see it very well at the time. I seen the ball cross over and no Barnsley players around and wondered how it ended up in the net. People walked out when that one went in

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I couldn’t see it very well at the time. I seen the ball cross over and no Barnsley players around and wondered how it ended up in the net. People walked out when that one went in
I saw it clear as daylight and I still couldn’t fathom out how he managed it :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:.

R

reanswolf

I must admit I find this ultra thing a bit pathetic but admit they create noise. This thing about 5000 fans meeting and marching to a game trying to look hard and led by a man with a speaker, well its not very brave IMO. Infact its just sheep-like and safety in numbers sort of thing.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The atmosphere has been **** since Nuno left.
I’m going to be contentious here, and I completely agree. When Nuno was here, ‘Nuno had a dream‘ was belted out many times during the game and I think the first couple of seasons the atmosphere was great.
But we’ve lost the ‘go to’ song now, and it seems to me that the reliance on that has meant that the crowd doesn’t know what to sing.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can someone judge what the atmosphere was like in a stadium when it was terracing .when they never been. The south bank atmosphere is dreadful now to how it use to be
Completely agree, in the mid 80s with a few thousand on two thirds of the south bank terrace made more noise.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i agree it's dropped off this season but some of you.... honestly..... i remember it being woeful for patches during 90s eg under colin lee (everyone sitting down!) then brilliant for patches (some of the cup / play-off games were superb)

similarly under nuno it was crackling for many games, and in small-ish bursts this season it's been okay, but overall yes not brilliant and definitely a downward trend

but my point is - it ebbs and flows. it's a culture. it'll go and it'll come back, new songs will emerge. we're very lucky overall compared to what's happened at some clubs eg man city compared to maine road has genuinely died.

and i'd rather anything than do what palace do, i even find newcastle's flags cringeworthy - it's like a big watford home end. as for leicester and their clappers.....

wolves support is organic and passionate, good and bad. not the best, but up there on its day. let it be and enjoy what we've got

R

reanswolf

'Nuno had a dream' was our best and loudest song by some way I'd agree.
Don't think it has dropped dramatically but agree that without it we just don't create the same volume.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bruno’s doing a great job but he hasn’t connected with the fans in the same way as Nuno which is possibly why “Nuno had a dream” hasn’t been replaced. It was the most sung as well as the best and loudest.

One of my highlights of the Nuno era was his post-win celebrations in front of the South Bank.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The connection between the fans/Nuno was very unique. So unique it is probably unfair to suggest there is no connection between Lage and supporters.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The atmosphere was still extremely poor for majority of games under Nuno
You’re right, it was, people are re-writing history.

I remember discussing on here several times if it was down to the style of play, kick off times, too many kids with cheap season tickets in the south bank etc during Nunos first 2 seasons.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The atmosphere was still extremely poor for majority of games under Nuno
I disagree. To name some off the top of my head;

Everton first game back
Man City when Boly scored
Chelsea when Jota/Raul scored for turnaround
Leicester 4-3
Utd in Cup, then in league just after
Man City boxing day

All those games (yes I know we won..) but it was brilliant atmosphere. Opposition fans would comment on it.

I know I keep going on about it, but that cringeworthy pathetic goal music does not help. Drowns out the natural noise and I can guarantee 50% of supporters (see poll I put up on here) feel a tinge of embarrassment after a goal. I would pay an extra £25 on my season ticket next season if it means getting rid of that.

Nivada

Reaction score
Utd in the Cup was the best atmosphere I've heard from Molineux, think we topped the nosiest grounds chart for 18/19, has seemed to be on the decline since then.

R

reanswolf

Sorry Bright I disagree too. Of course it wasn't great some games, palace and Brighton for example, and no doubt posters discussed why on here at times.

But overall Molineux has been fantastic under Nuno.

Notable atmospheres for me under Nuno: -

Manure at home QF Cup, and 1-1 and 2-1 again
Man City at home 3-2 and 1-1
Everton at home 2-2
Villa at home 2-1 (in Championship too 2-0)
Chelsea at home 2-1
Arsenal at home 3-1
Liverpool 1-2
Leeds at home Championship 4-1
Leicester 4-3
Sheff Utd 3-0 (in Championship)

These games it was bubbling, number of times away fans on blogs such as Man Utd, City, Arsenal have said this was the best atmosphere they have witnessed in the Premiership, even West Ham fans said how good we were this season.
This season best atmosphere's have been: -

West Ham 1-0
Leeds 2-3
Villa 2-1

After West Ham game see WHU fans view on this clip: - (go to 45 secs -1.05secs)

beppe7619

Reaction score
Completely agree, in the mid 80s with a few thousand on two thirds of the south bank terrace made more noise.
I use to hear the crowd from 1.4 miles away in the early 80s with four sides open. Against villa this month you would never of thought there was a match on in Wolverhampton until you got 5 minutes away from the ground as I was late getting in the ground

beppe7619

Reaction score
Problem now is it is 40 years since that type of atmosphere has gone and todays atmosphere is the new norm. Some of it is because of all seater stadium and some of it is the old terrace roof created more echo effect.

Back
Top Bottom