Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Molineux and World Cup 2030

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With it looking like the home nations will submit a bid for the 2030 World Cup, I wondered if Molineux would have a chance of hosting some games? Looks like there would need to be 16 stadiums that could host at least 40,000 so, assume that would be:

1 in Northern Ireland
1 in Wales (Millennium)
3 in Scotland (Ibrox, Parkhead, Hampden)
11 in England

So, I can think of nine - Wembley, Man C, Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle

Two slots open - Villa, Southampton, Sheff Wed, Leeds, West Ham and Molineux. Anyone else??

If, as seems likely, we spend some money upgrading the stadium and expanding capacity it would surely put us in a great position?

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The stadium is just the start of the obligations. Host cities are chosen on the basis of hotel rooms and transport links as much as the stadium itself.

Unless Villa Park falls into total disrepair in the intervening time, it will take quite some developments for Wolverhampton to edge out Birmingham as the West Midlands venue.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
They could use Compton as one of the teams training bases.

I wonder though, if it’s 12 years away how long until they have to finish the bid? Might be that we’re not 100% sure on what stage Molineux will be in by then.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Personally think they’ll spread it around a bit more, I can see
The Celtic Countries; Cardiff, Belfast, Glasgow, Edinburgh
North East; Newcastle and Middlesbrough
Yorkshire; Leeds, Sheffield and Hull
North West; Liverpool, Manchester, ano
Midlands; Wolverhampton, Birmingham, Derby
South West: Bristol
South Coast; Southampton, Brighton
London; Three venues inc Wembley, will leave Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and West Ham fighting over the other two.

That’s 20 off the top of my head and if they won it there’d be some investment in the older grounds. We’d need to be a top team to get the nod over a fourth London venue and be bigger than Villa Park

Likewise I could see Borough and Hull struggling. Bristol would get the nod simply because of Fifa’s Desire to develop the game in the third world.

There’s nothing in the Home Counties or Anglia.

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I mentioned this a few weeks ago; I think this will be in the master plan and it is just what Wolverhampton needs. Whether there will be too many obstacles remains to be seen.

Yes Birmingham is bigger, blah, blah, blah; but if the council have any sort of vision or brain cells between them, they will be in direct talks and bend over backwards to give Fosun exactly what they want. If they means telling the Uni to **** off, likewise Asda, compulsory purchasing the entirity of Waterloo road etc or giving them the land near the old Royal Hospital, whatever else, they need to do it.

Get an incredible stadium built, allow Fosun to invest in the area, get Guo to give his mate Theresa May a guided tour of it and the government funding will pile in.

It doesn’t matter if Birmingham is bigger, Atlanta had the Olympic bloody games in 1996. It’s about what Wolverhampton has to offer and in 12 years time it could offer the full package. It’s hardly in the **** end of nowhere either.

Personally, I doubt it will because too many people are small time. Carry on the Morgan plan please Jeff.:rolleyes:

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Goodison Park wouldn’t be used ... not modern enough.

Same with Stamford Bridge if their expansion doesn’t happen.

Olympic Stadium will 100% be used though.

Unless we have an absolute worldie of a stadium by then I can’t see it happening.

cowshed

Reaction score
Some years ago Scotland and Ireland had a joint bid for the Euros and it was rejected because they wanted to use 3 stadiums in Glasgow, Ibrox, Hamden and Celtic Park.

This has probably been changed as there is only Doha in Qatar and all of the stadiums will be there, just so that the world cup can take place there.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t think it would be Villa Park we’d be up against, more the Ricoh in Coventry as a second West Midlands option. Possibly Derby and Leicester as well if they want three Midlands venues, (presuming Birmingham and Nottingham get chosen first and second).

TeddyWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If Fosun (Guo) want us to host World Cup games then we will.

TeddyWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Goodison Park wouldn’t be used ... not modern enough.

Same with Stamford Bridge if their expansion doesn’t happen.

Olympic Stadium will 100% be used though.

Unless we have an absolute worldie of a stadium by then I can’t see it happening.

Disagree. I'd say there is a good chance the Olympic Stadium wont get a game, despite its infrastructure and transport links, unless London gets four venues.

Goodison will be a community stadium or housing estate by 2030. New 55k stadium is likely to be built on the docks. Anfield will probably be over 60k by then though.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The stadium is just the start of the obligations. Host cities are chosen on the basis of hotel rooms and transport links as much as the stadium itself.

Unless Villa Park falls into total disrepair in the intervening time, it will take quite some developments for Wolverhampton to edge out Birmingham as the West Midlands venue.
Would Wolverhampton not be considered part of (as the Americans would call it) the Birmingham Metropolitan area? Birmingham's hotel rooms would probably suffice in a Wolves bid

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Birmingham's superb transport and hotel network makes Wolverhampton look like a shanty town in Soweto.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally think they’ll spread it around a bit more, I can see
The Celtic Countries; Cardiff, Belfast, Glasgow, Edinburgh
North East; Newcastle and Middlesbrough
Yorkshire; Leeds, Sheffield and Hull
North West; Liverpool, Manchester, ano
Midlands; Wolverhampton, Birmingham, Derby
South West: Bristol
South Coast; Southampton, Brighton
London; Three venues inc Wembley, will leave Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and West Ham fighting over the other two.

That’s 20 off the top of my head and if they won it there’d be some investment in the older grounds. We’d need to be a top team to get the nod over a fourth London venue and be bigger than Villa Park

Likewise I could see Borough and Hull struggling. Bristol would get the nod simply because of Fifa’s Desire to develop the game in the third world.

There’s nothing in the Home Counties or Anglia.
Football aside, Bristol is a fantastic City.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We would certainly need a new stadium by then,60k capacity probably, as thats what Fosun want
Will Fosun still be here then? Maybe if we become a top 6 club in the next decade
Could UK win the bid, yes,we have everything already in place really just needs tweaking
Of course politics will come into play,FIFA backhanders,even Brexit will play a part,but its definitely possible
Would Molineux be chosen,possibly,reliant on new stadium,improved transport links,and better hotels in the area
Its technically part of the Birmingham conurbation so Villa and us could easily be venues for the Midlands,but its a long way away and who knows what the next 5/10 years will bring

E

Edgmond Wolf

No one votes for us now what makes you think it will be different in 2030

Europe will be ****ed that we caused the EU to fold due to imposing WTO tariffs :D:D

W

wolvesultra

Villa Parks not really Birmingham though is it. I get what you're saying and you're probably right but I'd be arguing Molineux has better transport links to Birmingham City Centre than Villa Park does.

Wandsworth Wolf

Reaction score
If we have started ground redevelopment at Molineux in the next 18 months to create a 50k ground, it means we’ll have the biggest stadium in the West Midland - and the entire Midlands region.
It will be impossible for the FA not to include Molineux in any bid.

Back
Top Bottom