Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Modern day football

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’ve not lived closer than a 4 or 5 hour round trip since I moved away 35 years ago and I’ve always made a day of going to a game and for something like 30 of those 35 years the football has been the worst part of the day. The early Nuno years were fantastic but, looking back, just a blip and we’re now back to “normal”. My attitude is that I can’t influence the football (I try to in my own little way by cheering and singing) but I can influence the rest of the day so I concentrate on that and make sure I enjoy myself. The game on Saturday was atrocious and I was at risk of moping during the evening and so I texted my wife on the way home and we were out having a meal and drinks within 30 minutes of me getting home.

Funnily enough two fellow Mixer mates have used the same phrase to me over the last week: “a great day/weekend spoilt only by 90 minutes of football”.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve not lived closer than a 4 or 5 hour round trip since I moved away 35 years ago and I’ve always made a day of going to a game and for something like 30 of those 35 years the football has been the worst part of the day. The early Nuno years were fantastic but, looking back, just a blip and we’re now back to “normal”. My attitude is that I can’t influence the football (I try to in my own little way by cheering and singing) but I can influence the rest of the day so I concentrate on that and make sure I enjoy myself. The game on Saturday was atrocious and I was at risk of moping during the evening and so I texted my wife on the way home and we were out having a meal and drinks within 30 minutes of me getting home.

Funnily enough two fellow Mixer mates have used the same phrase to me over the last week: “a great day/weekend spoilt only by 90 minutes of football”.
I always regard Wolves as an excuse for a beer: drown your sorrows (and boy have we had some over the years) or celebrate....

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I always regard Wolves as an excuse for a beer: drown your sorrows (and boy have we had some over the years) or celebrate....
Absolutely. I don’t think I’d have been able to watch over 90% of the games over the years without the pre-match beers to get me through them.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely. I don’t think I’d have been able to watch over 90% of the games over the years without the pre-match beers to get me through them.
Indeed. God has there been some dross.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Becoming very disillusioned after a life time of going to games. I am a home STH but this season I have so far missed Burnley, Everton, Watford and Brighton. I didn't use to miss any home games, but I too am thinking of packing it in at the end of this season. It's so boring now.
Well BSK, you are perhaps the nearest to me on here in age and views and to see this post has really depressed me. I could never imagine you writing a post like this. It's all so very sad. I am packing it in now. Next year will be 60 years since I saw my first Wolves game and I have no plans to watch live again. I can't make the commitment both in time and cost to watch what is on offer. In the past 2 seasons how many games can we say we really enjoyed? A handful? If I saw a glimmer that Fosun had any plans to move us forward meaningfully I may have re-considered how I feel. I just see more of the same mid-table mediocrity, more mind-numbing games against more mind-numbing teams and a feeling I am just being ripped off by the Club, the Prem, the rail companies, the overnight hotels and anyone with anything to do with the game. For me it is time to hand the baton on to the younger ones but when I look back to the simper days of Dougan and Richards, Munro and Bailey do I feel the football experience is better now than then? No I don't. Football then was Saturday 3 o'clock, 11 v 11 (no ****ing 5 subs to waste more time), characters on the pitch, fans baying at each other and a rowdy, chaotic spectacle at each game, rather than the sanitised, SKY, 7 day a week 'experience' on offer now. No, it's not for me now and I think, for much of my generation too. If I want what SKY has to offer I can go to the theatre or the opera and get a similar experience. I want to be lifted off my seat, I want to be screaming blue murder, I want to be taken out of myself, I want to feel unimagined, blissful joy, I want to be blown away. Will I get that again at Molineux? Sadly I doubt it so it's the armchair, slippers and pipe for me and cheering from far, far away.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crickey ... I hadn’t expected this thread to be quite so depressing. Some of the above is quite sad and tough to read.

If my brother was to pack it in, I’m not sure what I’d do ... but suspect I’d carry on ... but mainly for the match day craic with the lads.

Personally, my biggest issues with the game are VAR, time wasting, cheating and the predictability of which teams will finish in the top six. The sad thing here is that all of these issues could be addressed by football’s governing body. But they won’t.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well BSK, you are perhaps the nearest to me on here in age and views and to see this post has really depressed me. I could never imagine you writing a post like this. It's all so very sad. I am packing it in now. Next year will be 60 years since I saw my first Wolves game and I have no plans to watch live again. I can't make the commitment both in time and cost to watch what is on offer. In the past 2 seasons how many games can we say we really enjoyed? A handful? If I saw a glimmer that Fosun had any plans to move us forward meaningfully I may have re-considered how I feel. I just see more of the same mid-table mediocrity, more mind-numbing games against more mind-numbing teams and a feeling I am just being ripped off by the Club, the Prem, the rail companies, the overnight hotels and anyone with anything to do with the game. For me it is time to hand the baton on to the younger ones but when I look back to the simper days of Dougan and Richards, Munro and Bailey do I feel the football experience is better now than then? No I don't. Football then was Saturday 3 o'clock, 11 v 11 (no ****ing 5 subs to waste more time), characters on the pitch, fans baying at each other and a rowdy, chaotic spectacle at each game, rather than the sanitised, SKY, 7 day a week 'experience' on offer now. No, it's not for me now and I think, for much of my generation too. If I want what SKY has to offer I can go to the theatre or the opera and get a similar experience. I want to be lifted off my seat, I want to be screaming blue murder, I want to be taken out of myself, I want to feel unimagined, blissful joy, I want to be blown away. Will I get that again at Molineux? Sadly I doubt it so it's the armchair, slippers and pipe for me and cheering from far, far away.
I fully understand your point of view. You, unfortunately, missed the forward line of Hancock's, Smyth, Pye, Dunne and Mullen. Prolific and mesmerising.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crickey ... I hadn’t expected this thread to be quite so depressing. Some of the above is quite sad and tough to read.

If my brother was to pack it in, I’m not sure what I’d do ... but suspect I’d carry on ... but mainly for the match day craic with the lads.

Personally, my biggest issues with the game are VAR, time wasting, cheating and the predictability of which teams will finish in the top six. The sad thing here is that all of these issues could be addressed by football’s governing body. But they won’t.
I think what will do for most genuine football fans over the coming years will be cost tbh. A ST costing up to and north of a £1k will be impossible for all but the wealthiest fans. I think game by game tickets will become increasingly more popular as fans can budget ahead and pay as you go. Picking matches rather than seeing all matches will become the norm for most fans especially if TV coverage expands. The day of the long distance fan is numbered imo. Crazy ko times allied to horrendous petrol, rail and hotel prices will limit matches, in the main, to local fans which is a real shame; perhaps there will be a return to coach travel to Wolvo from say the capital, which is how I first went to Molineux with London Wolves. If you love football you will always want to go but you want to be entertained and the way the game is going fans will just get turned off in ever bigger numbers.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Jonnie Vaughan, love him or loathe him, sums it up perfectly: never let the football ruin a good day out at the football!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

At least if it's Brentford playing, it's only 45 minutes of football spoiling it. :(

Mine is a 6 hour round trip, including road works, traffic jams and finding somewhere to park can be even more. Have gone to 5 or 6 matches a season for decades. But only one since Covid. The Arsenal home match. Over 6 hours travel for 50 minutes football* and 40 minutes of Arsenal rolling on the ground , time wasting and whinging at the ref. Not in a hurry to do it again. Add in ageing etc, just don't have the energy for it, especially when it's so easy to see online these days.

As you say, the best bit is often that around the actual match, so we usually get to a good curry house in Wolvo, as we are deprived of that here in the Deep South. And on more than one occasion have ended the day with comments of "Top class balti, shame about the football".

*<Edit> Using the term "football" loosely. Both sides guilty of anti-football for most of it.

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to add - I'm wondering how those years in the Championship doldrums fit in to this? Because the football was worse, so often hopes raised then dashed, witnessed many abysmal performances the 20+ years before Fosun. I look at the league table, the players we have now, and ask "how can this be as bad as losing 0-1 at home to Grimsby? Or being outclassed by Oxford playing in a ground like a junk yard with a team costing a tenth as much as ours? Or Cambridge..Port Vale.." The list is endless.

Struggling to guess - I think it was that we started every season knowing we had a real possibility of top 6. Well, almost any club did and that was the fun of it. OK, we inevitably blew it by losing to Grimsby while Boro/Bolton etc were smashing Walsall 7-0. All those years could only dream of being in the Premier League. The reality now is that we are now in a 14 team league, with 3 getting relegated every season. The gap between them and the Big 6 looks insurmountable. Leicester? Once in a 50 years fluke and have they managed to build on it? Not really, there is no Big 7 with Leicester in it.

Basically, even though we nearly always failed, the way the Championship is, even when you are 14th or 15th, top 6 is *possible*. It seems impossible in the Premier League. Look at Forest. Bottom in October, now 3rd. That never happens in the Premier League - if it did it would be Man U doing it. And then, top 6 Championship gives you a chance at getting to the Premier League. 7th in the Premier League rewards you with "back to work in July with some trips to Outer Mongolia and the Arctic Circle in the Europa Conference League Cup 3rd preliminary extra qualifying round".

Maybe we've forgotten how it felt when he had things like that run of 0-0 draws with Kenny Jackett? How it feels to be second best to Barnsley or Luton, where their whole team cost less than one of our players? Possibly because after that, disappointing as it was, there was always a chance of a good performance and a 3-1 win or a 4-2. It just isn't happening like that for us now. Wins are nearly always by one goal at most, either hanging on grimly for the final 30 mins. Or desperately trying to snatch an equaliser after 70 minutes of snore-bore. Just to add, both Bruno and Nuno knew this , tried to change it, not succesfully. Though he has plenty of failings, no way am I blaming Bruno (or Nuno) for this state of affairs. Both doing the best they can given the resources at their disposal.

Last edited:

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
At least if it's Brentford playing, it's only 45 minutes of football spoiling it. :(

Mine is a 6 hour round trip, including road works, traffic jams and finding somewhere to park can be even more. Have gone to 5 or 6 matches a season for decades. But only one since Covid. The Arsenal home match. Over 6 hours travel for 50 minutes football and 40 minutes of Arsenal rolling on the ground , time wasting and whinging at the ref. Not in a hurry to do it again. Add in ageing etc, just don't have the energy for it, especially when it's so easy to see online these days.

As you say, the best bit is often that around the actual match, so we usually get to a good curry house in Wolvo, as we are deprived of that here in the Deep South. And on more than one occasion have ended the day with comments of "Top class balti, shame about the football".
Twice this season (surprised it’s not more) I’ve been so angry after the game that I’ve judged myself not fit to drive and gone for a curry to chill out before driving home. Funny you mention Brentford as I think that was one of them…

Hazza

Reaction score
Great post, agree 100%.

We’ve got 4 season tickets and not renewing this year for a lot of the reasons stated.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other folk on here have stated far more eloquently than I could why I am not over impressed with the modern game.

Time wasting.
Diving.
Cheating.
Cost.
Inconvenient kick off times. For example (Sky and BT )don't care about how far fans have to travel when having midday kick offs.

And of course

VAR.

I still enjoy watching football, but I must admit I get more enjoyment now watching a non league game. As an OAP I can get into Barwell ground for £5. (Barwell currently play in the southern league central division.) While there I can get reasonably priced refreshments. All in all it is a better experience than the money mad world of the premier league.

Last edited:

rubyloo

Reaction score
Seeing the occasional goal might help. I don't remember 'modern day football' being a problem when Jota/pre-injury Raul were banging them in.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry to have depressed you! This last weekend summed it up for me. I had been planning to go to the Brighton game, then we got a call from one of my sons for a family meet up at the weekend, with him, his younger brother, their partners and 2 of our young grandkids. It was a no-brainer. So off we went on Friday. We all had a great time darn sarf in Hertfordshire, and tuning in to get the result on Saturday afternoon as we all headed for the pub, I wasn't in the least bit surprised... or, frankly, even that bothered. I had forecast a boring 0-1 on the prediction thread, so I wasn't far out, it was a boring 0-3. When I saw the team sheet I just knew we wouldn't score. Somehow our manager/coach can't see that. I will probably go through the motions of going to watch us get beaten by Citeh and, as things stand, I can even see us getting beaten by Norwich too. In fact I can't see a goal for us. But, you know what, I don't actually give a toss. Never thought I'd ever say that.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The hate list follows

1 - time wasting / refs - so much of this could be stamped out and it would be a treat to watch. It’s so frustrating how weak officials are / those who run the game that we are continuing to watch games like this

2 - the stadiums, ticket prices, atmospheres, people. It’s become a family sport and it’s dreadful. No disrespect but kids, women, men shouldn’t be in the south bank unless they are getting behind the team for 90 minutes. Those on mobile phones should be banned. The spurs stadium is one of the worst I’ve ever been to. The corporate nature of stadiums is a joke

3 - The occasional time you do score, or save a penalty, you can’t celebrate . What’s the point .

4 - moving kick off times . An actual joke. Today BrentFord fans have to travel back from a Manchester at 11pm on a bank holiday Monday WTF

5 - the press / social media. I tend to stay away from this - but there is nothing worse than players etc. saying we will play better , or we cannot wait for the game etc. when you see them jogging back from an offside position during a match etc. full of **** these overpaid players

Yet despite this you simply cannot seriously contemplate giving it up. It’s our passion. Always has been always will be.

you wonder why when you list the above

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great post, agree 100%.

We’ve got 4 season tickets and not renewing this year for a lot of the reasons stated.
This thread is becoming a good read for those on the ST WL?! I do wonder though, when the ST prices are announced, after 2 seasons of mind-numbing football, just how many will take up the offer?

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't you suspend your ST this season and only got it back in our promtion year, prior to that somewhat of a critic?

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes im very disillusioned with 'modern football' and what its become, and im not even that old! Think the state of the game makes me more negative about Wolves because of it! It has become so money and business orientated it feels like it has lost its soul. Used to enjoy watching neutral games in the CL and the big games in the prem but i dont even bother now. Think ive watched one CL game all season.

Hope everyones having a great bank holiday :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just see more of the same mid-table mediocrity, more mind-numbing games against more mind-numbing teams and a feeling I am just being ripped off by the Club, the Prem, the rail companies, the overnight hotels and anyone with anything to do with the game.
How can you feel ripped off, if you pay nothing to not attend? :dizzy:

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to add - I'm wondering how those years in the Championship doldrums fit in to this? Because the football was worse, so often hopes raised then dashed, witnessed many abysmal performances the 20+ years before Fosun. I look at the league table, the players we have now, and ask "how can this be as bad as losing 0-1 at home to Grimsby? Or being outclassed by Oxford playing in a ground like a junk yard with a team costing a tenth as much as ours? Or Cambridge..Port Vale.." The list is endless.

Struggling to guess - I think it was that we started every season knowing we had a real possibility of top 6. Well, almost any club did and that was the fun of it. OK, we inevitably blew it by losing to Grimsby while Boro/Bolton etc were smashing Walsall 7-0. All those years could only dream of being in the Premier League. The reality now is that we are now in a 14 team league, with 3 getting relegated every season. The gap between them and the Big 6 looks insurmountable. Leicester? Once in a 50 years fluke and have they managed to build on it? Not really, there is no Big 7 with Leicester in it.

Basically, even though we nearly always failed, the way the Championship is, even when you are 14th or 15th, top 6 is *possible*. It seems impossible in the Premier League. Look at Forest. Bottom in October, now 3rd. That never happens in the Premier League - if it did it would be Man U doing it. And then, top 6 Championship gives you a chance at getting to the Premier League. 7th in the Premier League rewards you with "back to work in July with some trips to Outer Mongolia and the Arctic Circle in the Europa Conference League Cup 3rd preliminary extra qualifying round".

Maybe we've forgotten how it felt when he had things like that run of 0-0 draws with Kenny Jackett? How it feels to be second best to Barnsley or Luton, where their whole team cost less than one of our players? Possibly because after that, disappointing as it was, there was always a chance of a good performance and a 3-1 win or a 4-2. It just isn't happening like that for us now. Wins are nearly always by one goal at most, either hanging on grimly for the final 30 mins. Or desperately trying to snatch an equaliser after 70 minutes of snore-bore. Just to add, both Bruno and Nuno knew this , tried to change it, not succesfully. Though he has plenty of failings, no way am I blaming Bruno (or Nuno) for this state of affairs. Both doing the best they can given the resources at their disposal.
There was a feeling of progress, the sky was the limit, now we've hit that ceiling and all we can see is the barriers.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A nice capture of modern football in about 2 minutes there.

Cameras pan in on two Man Utd fans - Half and half scarves, face in their phone.

Then VAR rules out its classic tight offside goal.

Wonderful isn't it.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other folk on here have stated far more eloquently than I could why I am not over impressed with the modern game.

Time wasting.
Diving.
Cheating.
Cost.
Inconvenient kick off times. For example (Sky and BT )don't care about how far fans have to travel when having midday kick offs.

And of course

VAR.

I still enjoy watching football, but I must admit I get more enjoyment now watching a non league game. As an OAP I can get into Barwell ground for £5. (Barwell currently play in the southern league central division.) While there I can get reasonably priced refreshments. All in all it is a better experience than the money mad world of the premier league.
Crazy. Used to get in the south bank for less than that in the old Division One and those were the best games (West Ham, West Brom) l’ve ever seen as a football fan (and Wolves fan, used to watch Sunderland and QPR a lot too when l couldn’t get to a Wolves game)

I could do that then: watch football live every weekend (including Bury).

No way l could afford that now.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There are many many things what annoy me about the modern game I work on a shift system what features nights and weekends so having a season ticket isn't financially worth it for me.

I have attended a couple of games recently and I'm just not as into the Premier League product as some we have always had a good core fan base of around 18000 with a really good away following now the atmosphere around the ground has changed, I know people in there 30s/40# who before fosun/nuno were armchair United/Liverpool fans they now have season tickets in the southbank and proclaim to be die hard Wolves fans and unfortunately this isn't one person I know 3/4 of them but when we do have a blip or a relegation one day they will be the first to disappear, we had none of these bloggers, vloggers, podcasters,youtubers or samosa sales when we were entertaining Preston at home.

The Sky/BT kick off times annoy me and many others, a guy on my watch at work is a **** fan and missed a number of games due to the amount of crap times they've had is ridiculous but all football is effected the game is decided by what the neutrals at home want to see. Who as a neutral really wants to see Wolves Newcastle on a Friday night at 8pm though? It's meant a large number of people have had to rearrange travel plans and take time off work to travel up and get accommodation, no considerations for fans.

We are now in a big league where we have no chance of cracking the top 6 and neither does anyone bar maybe Newcastle, we and rest will tread water in the league, if you'd have offered me that a few years ago I would have snapped your hand off as I thought we would be able to get a cup, however that's also proving now to be very big 6 dominated.

FFP- created a closed shop for the elite, Barcelona had allsorts of financial difficulties a few months ago yet have continued to spend millions on players with high salary, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool in the top 6 took Furlough and other grants/loans from the government during covid to pay their non playing staff and for financial support, yet as soon as the transfer window opened they were back spending millions yet these clubs are able to do that and appear "well run" in FFP terms.... ridiculous.

VAR- I was for it before it was implemented now it is just ruining the game.

I could go on and on about different things but that's just a small sample of things what are irritating me with the modern game.

The cost of living is also going to make people think twice about where they spend their money.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think there’s also a factor that we’ve spent many years wanting to get a team that can hold it’s own in the Premiership and in the early Fosun years achieving it was such a consistent high, what comes after is never going to come close unless we achieve major honours.
Bit like a programme I saw on super rich that stated many thought their life was more enjoyable on the rise to achieving wealth than once they had made it.
Not quite right though, as they appear to have pulled the plug and be doing it on a shoe string, so we all a worried/know it wont last

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Many bemoan the sideways passing, I don't mind this at all, I just imagine the goals are at the sides instead of the ends, as soon we get it out wide it's just like scoring a goal for me. That's why I was so upset when Traore left.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Some things are better, some things are worse. Actual quality of football is far higher standard in terms of players technique and athletic ability.
VAR is largely ****
Time wasting complaint overblown. It has been part of the game as long as I can remember.

Stadium atmospheres are worse, but back in the "good old days" black players used to have bananas thrown at them. It's not an either/or but you can't ignore it either.

Think the game feels too tactical to me at times, players so much fitter and more disciplined they can shut down opposition much more easily.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think I was at both the dicking by Oxford United (3-0 on that open terrace was it?) and the 1-0 against Grimsby (they had about 200 fans in the South Bank circa '95 and were singing we only sing when we're fishing whilst miming reeling in a fish, the weirdos?). Both pretty depressing days but I agree, it's strange how quickly expectations recalibrate so you end up gutted about losing to the likes of Everton!

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First bit of a game I saw other day - sheff United player taking a throw , stood off the pitch - walks onto the pitch and goes down injured for 3 mins whilst sub gets ready

So frustrating that stuff like that doesn’t get penalised

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I was at both the dicking by Oxford United (3-0 on that open terrace was it?) and the 1-0 against Grimsby (they had about 200 fans in the South Bank circa '95 and were singing we only sing when we're fishing whilst miming reeling in a fish, the weirdos?). Both pretty depressing days but I agree, it's strange how quickly expectations recalibrate so you end up gutted about losing to the likes of Everton!
I recall a game against Oldham in Tommy Doc's time when we changed ee aye Adio we've won a corner

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't like how pedantic the game has got, but the quality of the football is so much better. Been watching a YouTube channel with a lot of old games of ours on it, and watching some of the games from the 70s is like watching championship level football. It's not great but I don't remember it being so bad at the time.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I´d liked football more before introduction of VAR.
However,I have always felt it was a much more enjoyable experience pre BOSMAN.
I am getting on a bit..I still think an english team like Wolves should consist of mostly players from the Bristish Isles.
Same goes for Liverpool,Aldershot and Sunderland.
Would make the European Cups much more competitive as well.
Maximum two or three players with other nationalites than british was the best way to go IMHO.

Those times are long gone now of course,and it is impossible to turn back the clock as we all know.
I will always regard the Bosman ruling as a real downer for european club football though.
Almost all of todays real big problems in football can be traced back to it.
It is what it is..it doesn´t mean I must like it.

Back
Top Bottom