Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Mendes/Wolves hit piece in the New York Times.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
but what they write is factually correct? What’s the criticism. Has he swindled anybody?

Agreed. Tariq Panja is one of those journos desperate for something to be unearthed on Mendes. If you follow him on Twitter, it's become a bit of a crusade and they have a whinge every time there's a Mendes related deal

I don't particularly disagree with him, it's just that his articles end up being a list of transfers that Mendes made big money on. Breaking news!

Instead of just whinging would be good if they did some journalism

On the actual issue, I think it's true that Fosun should examine their relationship with Mendes. Or are they so joined at the hip that they're in it for good. In which case, why is Mendes not trying harder to get Wolves into the top six / four? I'd also be interested to know what Mendes said to Nuno to keep him sweet about selling his golfing partner to Spurs at a week's notice

In which case, if it's all about the money in the end for Nuno, then I think he needs to pull his finger out. I'm sure he will, but it's been an odd transfer window

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They'll never stop having digs till Wolves sever ties completely, will they.

It's an odd piece. It's written as though Mendes is guilty of some heinous crime, although the crime, whatever it is (the piece doesn't tell us), is victimless, because it seems that all those that use Mendes's services are happy bunnies about the service he provides. It's almost as though in the New York Times's world it is a bad thing to make money (unless of course you're the owner of the New York Times!) A very peculiar article.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A photo of Silva in Wolves wearing old gold and black in the NYTimes. Fantastic.

............but the HUGE commission fees are going to be talking points in the football world. £10 million of the £40 million for Silva going to agents. Crazy. Are agents worth that much ? I dunno but will clubs in the future try to cut out the middleman?
I wonder how much or percentage Doc pays Mendes.

Last edited:

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's an odd piece. It's written as though Mendes is guilty of some heinous crime, although the crime, whatever it is (the piece doesn't tell us), is victimless, because it seems that all those that use Mendes's services are happy bunnies about the service he provides. It's almost as though in the New York Times's world it is a bad thing to make money (unless of course you're the owner of the New York Times!) A very peculiar article.

Tariq Panja is jealous of Mendes. Fact

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the football equivalent of 'I owe my soul to the company store'. Strange how football agents used to be regularly vilified on here as parasites (Willie McKay etc.)

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only thing I would take from that article is young Silva needs to change his poise when taking a shot, he is going to hurt his back and bite his tongue if he is not careful.

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very little to dispute in the article other than the "permanently tanned" nonsense. Meneds is Portuguese, how else is he supposed to look?

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the football equivalent of 'I owe my soul to the company store'. Strange how football agents used to be regularly vilified on here as parasites (Willie McKay etc.)
McKay is a parasite. Mendes appears to care about his clients and looks after them

I can’t imagine Jorge sending one of his lads over in an aircraft flown by a random bloke with a partial licence at night .

The “permanent tan” part sounds a bit racist to my ears

goalden wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I too can't see much wrong in that.. just stating facts we already know.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Load of hot air. Amazing revelations that other agents are jealous of Mendes and that millionaires Ronaldo and Mourinho try to minimise the amount of tax they pay. In other news Paul Gladon likes a curry.

I get that Mendes has made himself a target due to the amount of money he makes, and that the size of modern transfer fees is ridiculous. But everyone in the system - sponsors, players, clubs, the media that hype the industry - is complicit, not just the agents.

Not that the newspapers will let that get in the way of a clickbait headline that we've all clicked on.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No 'digs' there. But none of that is news to anybody.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If this doesn't worry you, I don't know what to say:

On the cusp of a financial meltdown, and with large debts coming due, Porto turned to Mendes to find buyers for some of its up-and-coming stars. In a feat of alchemy that Mendes appears to have honed to perfection, Mendes convinced Fosun, his Chinese partners at Wolves, to pay what could be as much as $70 million for two highly rated though largely untested youngsters: Vitor Ferreira, a 20-year-old midfielder known as Vitinha, and Fábio Silva, an 18-year-old forward.

A quarter of the 40 million euro fee for Silva ended up in agents commissions, Porto announced, with most of it going to Mendes.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get the feeling that agents are a lot like stockbrokers. People outside of them really dont like them because when you do your job well the money you make is out of this world

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leaving football aside it only goes to show that he appears to be a man that should be admired for his talent to make money.
Probably top of the league of others I admire for similar reasons - Sven Goran Eriksson, Fabio Capello, David O'Leary, Sam Allardyce

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our relationship with Mendes has worked for both us, and the players we have attracted to the club at this time. It has cost a lot but it has been undoubtedly worth it.
We sign Jota because although talented, he isn't getting games for Athletico. We promise him X amount of games per season. He gets games, he improves, we improve and he is worth a lot more at the end of it all. I don't get what there is not to love about it.

Back
Top Bottom