Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Memories From the Mid 60s

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
70380785-A37A-4D41-98DA-FB06CC1D93EF.jpeg I came across the attached photo this morning and must admit memories came flooding back. Amazingly after a bit of thought I could remember all of the players, some of which probably only played very few games in their time at the club. Not quite the best team I have seen but with some of the biggest names, some no longer with us and one or two not in the best of health. Great days and great away games.

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pre Doog. So I'm thinking this is from the season I first started going 1965/66?
Edit - That's him over on the left. 66/67?

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pre Doog. So I'm thinking this is from the season I first started going 1965/66?
Edit - That's him over on the left. 66/67?
1967/8 when they gained promotion to the First Division (I think).

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was 1966/67. Finished second and were promoted to Division One.

S

ShropshireLad

It was 1966/67. Finished second and were promoted to Division One.
It looks like the team photo for the start of the First Division 1967-68 season to me. Doog came mid season of the promotion year - remember his Hull hat-trick? Of course you do! ;)

Swinford Wolf

Reaction score
The Doog's 1st home game ( Hull City ) he scored a hat-trick was my first ever game. Brings back great memories & also makes me feel old lol

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It looks like the team photo for the start of the First Division 1967-68 season to me. Doog came mid season of the promotion year - remember his Hull hat-trick? Of course you do! ;)
Think you’re right.

Of course! Saw his first game 1-0 v Huddersfield away (think Parkin played for Huddersfield). Were I not a lazy **** I would check details before posting but.... Think Hull was his second game.

Can still see his hat trick on YouTube.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was "pre-Doog" when I started going , so this must be 1967 season start ? Fred Davies is the other keeper to Phil Parkes, Fred played centre forward for the reserves on occasions. I though Ron Flowers had retired by this stage so seeing him there is a surprise ... Les Wilson , Duggie Woodfiled and John Holsgrove were fantastic pros.....and doesn't that look like Dave Edwards right in the middle ??

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Doog's first game was Plymouth away. A windy day and a bumpy, end of season pitch didn't make for a great game but we won 1-0 thanks to a Peter Knowles goal. Then came three wins in four days over Easter against Hull before Huddersfield home and away. Huddersfield had two good full backs in those days, Parkin at right-back and Cattlin at left-back. Their keeper was John Oldfield who joined Wolves in 1969.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That one to the left of a Phil Parkes is John Holsgrove I think, does anyone remember a game at the Hawthorns in the very early seventies when he had a clash of heads with Jeff Astle, and Jeff got stretchered off? I was very young at the time so might have remembered it wrong.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the period I started going. Who are the the players next to Waggy,Dave Woodfield and Ernie Hunt?

Dudleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The picture has to be pre-season 67-68 but I thought that Ron Flowers had already retired, as I cannot remember seeing him in the promotion season (Mind you , it was my first and I can't remember much about it !) When did we change back to black shorts ? Isn't Burnside centre-mid at the back ?

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That one to the left of a Phil Parkes is John Holsgrove I think, does anyone remember a game at the Hawthorns in the very early seventies when he had a clash of heads with Jeff Astle, and Jeff got stretchered off? I was very young at the time so might have remembered it wrong.

Yes...we drew 3-3... a night match...we lost 4-1 at WBA the following week ...you are indeed correct Astle was stretchered off....Phil Parkes was sent off for kicking Chippy Clarke up in the air after he punched a corner in and the goal was given. Waggy went in goal and saved a Bomber Brown penalty

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes...we drew 3-3... a night match...we lost 4-1 at WBA the following week ...you are indeed correct Astle was stretchered off....Phil Parkes was sent off for kicking Chippy Clarke up in the air after he punched a corner in and the goal was given. Waggy went in goal and saved a Bomber Brown penalty
Crikey that was an eventful game, any idea what year?

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
WBA had a great side in those days.... John Kay, Brian Talbot, Bobby Hope. Asa Hartford, Jeff Astle , Clive Clarke , Graham Lovett..... they would be worth serious cash these days

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 6679 I came across the attached photo this morning and must admit memories came flooding back. Amazingly after a bit of thought I could remember all of the players, some of which probably only played very few games in their time at the club. Not quite the best team I have seen but with some of the biggest names, some no longer with us and one or two not in the best of health. Great days and great away games.
I started in 1970 so some of them look very young in this photo. I think its a young phil parkes , am i right?

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm old. But not that old.
Enjoy the nostalgia pops, keeps you relevant.

Pompey Wolf

Reaction score
That 3-3 against Albion was in August '67. It was the first home game after promotion the season before. I witnessed that from half way up the floodlight pylon in the corner of the south bank and Waterloo Rd.
I'm glad they don't have floodlight pylons any more. I'm not sure I'd be able to climb one now!!

Pompey Wolf

Reaction score
Really liked Ronnie Allen as a manager - pity he got sacked.
Yes. Ronnie Allen was responsible for signing the majority of the team that McGarry benefited from. He could spot a player. Whereas McGarry's weakness was in recruitment. As evidence I offer Jefferson and O'Grady both of whom were 'flops' in relation to the transfer fees paid.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one in the middle back row next to Ernie Hunt is Joe Wilson, Full-back

S

ShropshireLad

It was "pre-Doog" when I started going , so this must be 1967 season start ? Fred Davies is the other keeper to Phil Parkes, Fred played centre forward for the reserves on occasions. I though Ron Flowers had retired by this stage so seeing him there is a surprise ... Les Wilson , Duggie Woodfiled and John Holsgrove were fantastic pros.....and doesn't that look like Dave Edwards right in the middle ??
Ron Flowers left in 1967. I can't remember which month but I have a feeling that it was in the autumn.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. Ronnie Allen was responsible for signing the majority of the team that McGarry benefited from. He could spot a player. Whereas McGarry's weakness was in recruitment. As evidence I offer Jefferson and O'Grady both of whom were 'flops' in relation to the transfer fees paid.
Mike O'Grady scored one of the greatest goals I have ever seen from a Wolves player, vs Liverpool , absolutely creamed a right foot volley ...pity he was so injury prone

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Great team and staff pic which brings back lots of memories from that time.

The chap sat next to Ronnie Allen (bottom row, far right) looks to me like a young Harry Marshall.

Struggling with names of other staff members, apart from John Ireland of course.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great team and staff pic which brings back lots of memories from that time.

The chap sat next to Ronnie Allen (bottom row, far right) looks to me like a young Harry Marshall.

Struggling with names of other staff members, apart from John Ireland of course.
IIRC the directors were always named in the match programme, I would imagine there would have been a Gough family member on there , as well as Messrs Allen, Ireland and Marshall

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is the period I started going. Who are the the players next to Waggy,Dave Woodfield and Ernie Hunt?

as it sounds like your around the same age as me, when we watched that team back in the day, the players seemed old, now looking at that pic they seem very young, well except that front row, LOL John Holsgrove was a cousin of a friend of mine, they look identical and could have been twins. think he was at Palace before us.

Back
Top Bottom