Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

McDonald Offer Clean Slate

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find this rather depressing tbh:

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...30/wolves-kevin-mcdonald-offered-clean-slate/

It's business as usual. Straight from Jackett's motivational manual and dragging old scars from last season's debacle.

He has pretty much admitted there were issues and in my view it seems he is publicly treating McDonald like a naughty boy: no-one wants him but if he behaves himself he can have a game.

Depressing.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm a bit mixed on this. We wanted to know why he was left out as it made no sense and too many rumours were circulating, we now have Jackett implying that something was wrong, either personal or fitness/motivation. Or it could be seen as an advert that he is available and reminding clubs he wasn't playing so he could be available.

I'm still unsure as to whether he will feature/be sold. If he's selected for preseason from the start then who knows, but after last seasons comments regarding Jacobs having a big season ahead of him and then being sold and the Stearman situation I'm reluctant to believe anything.

D

Deleted member 4594

he won't get sold because no one will want to spend decent money on him after the way he played last season.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being given a 'clean slate' seems to imply there were problems. It would help if we knew what the problems were but that IS never going to happen.

I admit McDonalds form last season tailed off. With the uncertainty about his contract dragging on and the fact he was in and out of the playing squad regularly would not have helped.

IMO opinion he is our best midfield player and would always be in the starting 11. I could not understand why Coady or Saville were selected ahead of him and stated this on MM previously. It is good to read that he is happy at the Club although this wouldn't mean anything if he received a better offer on higher wages.

We have Lee Evans returning next season and no doubt there will be more competition. I would still select McDonald with Jack Price alongside him. If no new midfielder arrives it leaves any one from Evans, Coady and Saville to fill the remaining place. I know I haven't mentioned dangerous Dave as I assume he is a 'given' with KJ.

D

Deleted member 4456

Jackett can offer McDonald anything he likes - at his next club.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our best central midfielder by a mile yet frozen out with the mediocre likes of Coady, Saville and Edwards given free rein to show how ordinary they are. Who knows what went on but to blame McDonald for the appalling play and season is ridiculous. The future imv is McDonald, Price and hopefully Evans. We won't be signing any other midfielders. If its back to Edwards and co again I truly give up and will long to see the back of Jackett. In the Wales squad Edwards is way behind the likes of a half fit Jo Ledley and the promising Johnny Williams plus Andy King. He got one run out I believe for 60 mins or so but was soon benched. I just hope the allure of being part of the Welsh squad doesn't fool anyone into thinking he is the answer in midfield. A squad player - that is it.

I don't know whether McDonald has been a naughty boy or not but if I was him I would be frustrated as hell by the dreadful tactics and some of the mediocrity he has had to play with much of the time. Freezing him out completely was bizarre and Jackett seems on one hand to be saying come on show us what you have got, I want to play you, and on the other half wishing someone would make a bid so he can get rid of him. Mixed messages, poor man management. And of course it would relate to one of the few skilful players we have and the only one who under the right conditions and with the right support can dominate a Championship midfield.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't necessarily think this'll do too much harm. McDonald's potentially an excellent player at this level but doesn't seem to take anything very seriously. We need that excellent player so hopefully this will help.

And it's bigger than just his form: at 27 he's one of the more senior squad members now with the kind of experience we need (promotion, relegation, playing for big clubs, playing in the top flight, being in international squads). We need to take advantage of that and if he's constantly acting the fool we can't.

E

Essex Wolf

Hope he stays and if he does like to see him recover the good form he had. My concern is that Jackett is a big part of the problems as far as I'm concerned and is hardly a motivator so McDonald may end up as a bench warmer at best and another season passes with his undoubted ability wasted.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
he won't get sold because no one will want to spend decent money on him after the way he played last season.
It'll depend on the new manager who's coming I guess considering all the money he's going to get from the Chinese owner........:D

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he stays and his form picks up, it will be like a new signing

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has been nothing but a run of the mill, average championship central midfielder in our time in this league, especially last season. It says more for our recruitment that he his our most creative outlet out of all our central midfielders, yet he is so ordinary.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has been nothing but a run of the mill, average championship central midfielder in our time in this league, especially last season. It says more for our recruitment that he his our most creative outlet out of all our central midfielders, yet he is so ordinary.

Agree with that Mug

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm not going to get into a discussion about him as a player and whether he is average or not as people will always have different opinions. But last year Jackett persisted with picking a midfield that offered no creativity. I understand giving players time to settle but he did for over a third of the season and they didn't produce.

He was quick to drop Price after one bad game but others he carried on with (Coady and Savillle, the latter having been discarded in the first half of the season). Out of the options we had he would get into the majority of people's teams. His disappearance with no explanation is what baffles people.

Back
Top Bottom