Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Max Killman skills

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with that. No way Kilman could play in central midfield. Not so sure Kilman is quite as slow as made out but could be wrong.
You might be right to be honest. When we play a back 3/5 and are deep its hard to tell anyones pace in the back 3 as they have so much cover round them.

Theres no hate from me for Kilman, hes a good honest solid pro. I just think in the summer we need an instant solution to the glaringly obvious CB issue we have. Personally I wouldnt be adverse to Kilman and Saiss going in the summer and leave Boly, Coady fight it out for a place next to a real CB

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I've lost track of timelines a bit, but did the reduction in Kilman's involvement come around the time he lost his father?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You might be right to be honest. When we play a back 3/5 and are deep its hard to tell anyones pace in the back 3 as they have so much cover round them.

Theres no hate from me for Kilman, hes a good honest solid pro. I just think in the summer we need an instant solution to the glaringly obvious CB issue we have. Personally I wouldnt be adverse to Kilman and Saiss going in the summer and leave Boly, Coady fight it out for a place next to a real CB

Think we will need 4 centre backs to chose from if we are going with 4 at the back.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've lost track of timelines a bit, but did the reduction in Kilman's involvement come around the time he lost his father?

I think he played a few games for us around the time his father passed away.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we will need 4 centre backs to chose from if we are going with 4 at the back.
Agree. Id like to see Boly and Coady fight it out to play alongside a Marquee CB and then one of the u23's sat on the bench. Hard to tell as there is always a big gap between youth football than the EPL but I think the ceiling for Lonwijk, Marques (even Richards) is higher than Kilman.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman looks plenty quick enough to me. I dont know where this slow thing has come from.
Play him over Siass for me... I think the pace thing is the way Arsenal targeted our left side and should have been out of sight at Molineux. He was getting mullered time and time again.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe that he played the game immediately after his father had passed away as we were really thin on the ground otherwise but his involvement faded after that. Being played as a FB and having a mare didn't help any....

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Theres a few issues there for me though.

The players you mentioned were all positionally brilliant and normally played in a back 4. Its hard to judge Kilman as hes played pretty much all his games in a back 5 where he gets more protection.

For me what makes me think he wont make it as a top defender is (and this is also a direct comparison to the players you listed) is that he isnt aggressive enough. He's far too passive (for me) to play in a pair rather than a 3.

Going forward I want us to sign a big dominant aggressive CB to partner Boly whilst the likes of Lonwijk, Sanderson, Marques develop. Id be very disappointed if Kilman is still in the squad next season as it'll mean we havent addressed our issues.
While I'd agree that central defenders normally require some aggression, there are exceptions...

Two that spring to mind are Fabio Cannavaro and Alessandro Nesta. Neither were aggressive and in Nesta's case not even physical, relying on intelligence and timing more than anything. Cannavaro despite being small could be physical but I would describe his game as measured rather than aggressive.

I know it's unusual but neither were aggressive and formed possibly the best centre back pairing I've ever seen.

I like Kilman, he needs more first team football to gain experience. He's too old to not be getting experience, good players don't become great players without it.

I'd prefer a loan spell to getting rid, let him develop his game and assess him next summer. Without offering him experience we'll not know what he's capable of.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I'd agree that central defenders normally require some aggression, there are exceptions...

Two that spring to mind are Fabio Cannavaro and Alessandro Nesta. Neither were aggressive and in Nesta's case not even physical, relying on intelligence and timing more than anything. Cannavaro despite being small could be physical but I would describe his game as measured rather than aggressive.

I know it's unusual but neither were aggressive and formed possibly the best centre back pairing I've ever seen.

I like Kilman, he needs more first team football to gain experience. He's too old to not be getting experience, good players don't become great players without it.

I'd prefer a loan spell to getting rid, let him develop his game and assess him next summer. Without offering him experience we'll not know what he's capable of.
If we send him out on loan next season, when he comes back he'll be 25. Im not sure how much more coaching he will take.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we send him out on loan next season, when he comes back he'll be 25. Im not sure how much more coaching he will take.
So if after another year out on loan he proves to not be at the required level, then sell him. But not before he has a chance to prove himself, which he hasn't had to date.

He needs half a season as part of a settled defence, where any mistakes he may make won't affect Wolves.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So if after another year out on loan he proves to not be at the required level, then sell him. But not before he has a chance to prove himself, which he hasn't had to date.

He needs half a season as part of a settled defence, where any mistakes he may make won't affect Wolves.
I simply think he's too old now to go out for another year and then re-asses him again at 25. By that time ill be pretty shocked if he isnt way behind Lonwijk and Marques who are both 5 years younger than him

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the problem for Kilman is that Nuno doesn't fully trust him yet. Saiss has been in the first team squad since before Nuno arrived and is a tried and tested player that Nuno clearly likes and trusts. Kilman is still a relatively unknown quantity at Premier League level, although one that hasn't ever looked out of place when he has played. I suppose that trust will only come with time but I would be disappointed now if he didn't start the last 4 games. Boly should be told to go home and recover fully for the start of next season and let Max start the remainder of the season. If he doesn't then clearly Nuno doesn't fancy him and he could well be on the way out. That would be a shame as in my view the lad could do a good job for us and save us a few quid.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the problem for Kilman is that Nuno doesn't fully trust him yet. Saiss has been in the first team squad since before Nuno arrived and is a tried and tested player that Nuno clearly likes and trusts. Kilman is still a relatively unknown quantity at Premier League level, although one that hasn't ever looked out of place when he has played. I suppose that trust will only come with time but I would be disappointed now if he didn't start the last 4 games. Boly should be told to go home and recover fully for the start of next season and let Max start the remainder of the season. If he doesn't then clearly Nuno doesn't fancy him and he could well be on the way out. That would be a shame as in my view the lad could do a good job for us and save us a few quid.
I think thats where my issue lies with Kilman, he can "do a job" but going forwards if we want to progress (especially with a back 4) we need better players than being able to do a job. Last season we were heavily linked to Ruben Dias and you watch him now and he is light years ahead of Kilman. I fear Kilman will fall into the Douglass, Costa and Cavaliero catergory of if we want to progress he needs moving on (along with Saiss)

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I simply think he's too old now to go out for another year and then re-asses him again at 25. By that time ill be pretty shocked if he isnt way behind Lonwijk and Marques who are both 5 years younger than him
And if he finds himself that far down the pecking order, what harm is done by delaying his departure a year?

The only harm I can see is getting rid a year too early if he does come good.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And if he finds himself that far down the pecking order, what harm is done by delaying his departure a year?

The only harm I can see is getting rid a year too early if he does come good.
Having done ok in 10 plus EPL games this year his stock is pretty high currently so we'd get best price. If he goes to the championship, doesnt do particularly well we will lose out.

Its why we should have sold Traore in the summer.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Kilman and just don't understand why Nuno has dropped him out of the first team picture. Has always impressed in his proper position. As a full back of course not as he is facing pacey wingers. Only 23 and well capable of being a valuable squad member or subs option and perhaps cementing a permanent place at the back if given a chance.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oooh, the other lad is pretty annoying!

Why is he talking like that?

Wolowolf6

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lovely video but rumour has it that, because he shook hands with Max, the FA have been on the phone to Lachlan to rule him out of representing Ukraine or Russia in any future sport.

molineux man

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just watching the original video for the first time - would like to see him hitting a few shots like that in a game!

Back
Top Bottom