Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matty Ashton tells how Sam Burgess’ lessons can make him and Warrington better

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary Carter

MATTY Ashton is ready to show opposite number Tommy Makinson the results of Sam Burgess’ finishing school – then maybe look to emulate him.

The Warrington winger undoubtedly has the pace to trouble anyone going forward, but issues going the other way are being worked on.

Matty Ashton has revealed how boss Sam Burgess’ lessons are making him and Warrington better
SWPIX.COM

Now as they head to St Helens for today’s showpiece Challenge Cup quarter final, the flier is determined to show Burgess’ teachings are sinking in.

Then he may become a true top line player like his Saints counterpart.

Ashton, who superbly halted Leeds’ Ash Handley last week, said: “I need to try and improve my defence week in, week out. Sam’s talked me through that and helped me out.

“A lot of wingers are good in attack. It’s just getting the defensive side right to take you to the next level.

“I’m nowhere near the finished article on that side of the game. I work on it every day and I’ll keep trying to put into performances.

“It’s just knowing when to jam in, when to hold off and trusting your side. It’s about making one on ones too, which is something I need to work on.

MOST READ IN RUGBY LEAGUE​

ASH BASH​

Matty Ashton tells how Sam Burgess' lessons can make him and Warrington better

GIANT DAY​

Huddersfield's Hugo Salabio eager to show his talent as he heads home

HATEFUL EIGHT​

Super League ace wakes up unemployed after horror spell saw rewriting of rule

SCAR-Y​

Leigh's Lachlan Lam eyes more Hull KR Cup wounds after horrific leg injury

MY TRAUMA​

Shamed Wag 'threatened with KNIFE' in jail & ‘feels violated’ by strip searches

LEIGH'N'UNEASY​

Willie Peters believes comfort will stop Hull KR's players getting better

“We’ve known we can always score points but in the last, we’ve probably let too many tries in. The champion teams don’t concede many points, that’s what we’re striving for.

“Tommy’s been at the top of the game for many years, he rarely lets his team down and he’s shown his attributes through his career and at the top level. There are things I’ll look to take from him.

“But we’re opponents today and it’s a challenge I’m excited for. I can’t kick goals like him, though. The fans in row 10 would be under more danger!”

Burgess’ start at Warrington has seen them win six of their opening eight matches, including the 42-0 thumping of London that set up this last-eight showdown.

Once again, the hype around the club is building but Ashton, 25, buys into the feeling that this promising start is different – with the new date of the cup final in June helping.

Ashton is known for scoring tries but he believes keeping them out is the secret of a real top winger.
SWPIX.COM

He added: “It’s exciting times again but we’re not getting ahead of ourselves. We know how quickly it can change.

“We’re not listening to outside noise. People may think we’re getting carried away again but far from it.

“And St Helens away in the cup is an ideal test. It’s do or die and we’ll go into it with all guns blazing as if we don’t start well and dip our toe in, it’ll be a long day.

“The fact the cup is earlier in the season also helps as we know if we can get some momentum in that, we can take it into our league games.”

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom