Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matt Jarvis - Crosses

B

bridgnorthwolf

According to the stats index, Matt Jarvis was the most accurate crosser in the Premier League last season, and second most accurate in any of Europe's top leagues after Jesus Navas...

W

we8wba

really? i thought crossing is pretty poor part of matts game tbh

B

bridgnorthwolf

So did I really, but he apparently completed 56 accurate crosses last season which was the highest in the PL and second highest in Europe. Jesus Navas was a long way in front with 79.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I bet he also put in about 5,000 more crosses than any other player, of course he was going to have the most accurate crosses. Most sides last season passed the ball around with variety, full backs providing the width and balls played to feet. Our game plan last season, especially under Mick, was win the ball, punt it out to Jarvis in the hope he can get in a cross, of course he was going to have the most accurate crosses. I guarantee that stat isn't the ratio of amount of crosses put in that were accurate, because in a percentage of those he would probably be one of the worst, if not the worst.

However, for all of that, I think West Ham and Sam Allardyce is the perfect move for him next season and he will do well. As he would of at Stoke but any other club his footballing skills, or lack of would have been badly exposed.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hmm and many of our so-called experts on here think his crossing is poor. Odd one.

However is there a stat of his successful crosses ratio to how many he put in? Might tell a different story.

But then again a "wingers" job is to get to the byline & whip crosses in.

Will suit West Ham's style of play I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bridgnorthwolf

I bet he also put in about 5,000 more crosses than any other player, of course he was going to have the most accurate crosses. Most sides last season passed the ball around with variety, full backs providing the width and balls played to feet. Our game plan last season, especially under Mick, was win the ball, punt it out to Jarvis in the hope he can get in a cross, of course he was going to have the most accurate crosses. I guarantee that stat isn't the ratio of amount of crosses put in that were accurate, because in a percentage of those he would probably be one of the worst, if not the worst.

However, for all of that, I think West Ham and Sam Allardyce is the perfect move for him next season and he will do well. As he would of at Stoke but any other club his footballing skills, or lack of would have been badly exposed.

There is without doubt an element of truth in that, but nowhere near to that extent. All teams put in plenty of crosses, no matter how good their possession game is, and he was playing in the league's bottom team.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

i know you're only joking / making a point, but it was actually 218 I think I read - which again was more than anyone else... seem to remember Petrov was 2nd with 207

A

Anglian Wolf

I reckon his crosses were pretty good - it was just that apart from Fletch we never had anyone capable enough of getting on the other end of them with any meaning.

Interestingly a lot of Hammers' fans are deriding Jarvo's value and writing him off as "runs fast but couldn't pick a cross in a church"

Give 'im back then if yo doh want 'im :rolleyes:

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So the player who put in the most crosses last season was called Jesus? Brilliant! :)

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His percentage ration was much lower than his contemporaries at the time of his England callup

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i know you're only joking / making a point, but it was actually 218 I think I read - which again was more than anyone else... seem to remember Petrov was 2nd with 207

There was sarcasm in that obviously, but you can see where I am coming from.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon his crosses were pretty good - it was just that apart from Fletch we never had anyone capable enough of getting on the other end of them with any meaning.

Interestingly a lot of Hammers' fans are deriding Jarvo's value and writing him off as "runs fast but couldn't pick a cross in a church"

Give 'im back then if yo doh want 'im :rolleyes:

(For a small restocking charge)

1908radford

Top player and underrated by some fans,which is strange as its not long ago that he was the best thing since sliced bread after he managed to get an England call up playing for an unfashionable team.
A lot of his work was over looked because we had a team that couldnt be ***** to get in the box to get on the end of the crosses!
I think a move to London might open the door again for him as an international player.
Good luck to him hes done his bit for Wolves and made us a nice wedge to spend on new players!

B

bridgnorthwolf

I'm just glad he didn't end up at Stoke, would have pained me to see him playing for Stoke.

D

devon_wolf

This just says to me that teams don't play this way anymore.

Ie: whipping balls in from the byline.

Back
Top Bottom