Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matt Hobbs interview

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He seems to be a good fit for this role. He’s young so understands the importance of relaying certain information to fans, this will of course come back to bite him if certain things don’t come off however.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nunes off in the summer imo
I think he’d like to be but he’s not shown anywhere near the consistency for a big move and I can’t see anyone taking a gamble. I expect unfortunately Neves will go in the summer and Nunes will be “number one” to fill those boots (which are massive massive boots to fill). He’s full of talent but I’m not sure if it’s a mix of consistency or desire but he’s not hitting the levels at the moment. He doesn’t have the ethic or professionalism/desire of Neves of that I’m sure.

Reaction score
I'm afraid it's a 'no' from me... Can't believe he didn't share any holiday snaps from his South America jolly!

... Also, he looks like a poundshop Jonah Hill... Boo... Hobbs out!

Last edited:

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent interview.

I am impressed with what he said about planning two or more windows in advance as that was not happening under the Sellars regime.

From what I have read and heard from him so far and as others on the thread have already pointed out he seems keen to keep fans in the loop.

Does not shy away from the simple fact that if a player does well for Wolves and we get an offer that is too good to turn down then more than likely that player will leave.

Rowzed

Reaction score
Excellent appointment
multiple references to having the capacity to do things in house ( scouting and recruitment ) but without necessarily having had support from the previous coaching set up
the relationship and trust between Hobbs and Lopetegui is critical to harmony in the dressing room through a shared authority and aligned vision. It’s a really difficult thing to get right, manager and sporting director on the same page. We had it with Thelwell and Jackett. Then with Nuno it almost became Nuno and Jorge which was ok until it wasn’t ok. Sellars and Lage never really clicked. These two do and that’s great news.

koplex

Groupie
Reaction score
He's an excellent communicator, which helps greatly - especially in modern era of 24/7 media.

He also has a great pedigree for the role, unlike Sellars who was over-promoted - ruining both his career and the progress of the club.

Good times.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sporting director is a poisoned chalice. You’ll never get the credit for things going right on the pitch or for new signings but you’ll always get the blame for ones we missed out on or when things go wrong on the pitch

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent interview.

I am impressed with what he said about planning two or more windows in advance as that was not happening under the Sellars regime.

From what I have read and heard from him so far and as others on the thread have already pointed out he seems keen to keep fans in the loop.

Does not shy away from the simple fact that if a player does well for Wolves and we get an offer that is too good to turn down then more than likely that player will leave.
So he is a guy who believes in planning in advance and is realistic about our status in the ladder of footy that there are bids that could be too good to turn down…..

Sorry, but how has this guy been kept behind Scott sellers?????

He seems far more articulate and knowledgable than that absolute charlatan before him

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves are already getting the benefit of only signing players that Julen wants. You only have to look at Spurs when Conte threw a strop because he did want the young full back Spence from Boro and let it be known in the press he was not what he wanted.

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really good listen and encouraging to know how well things are being run once again after a period where it wasn't happening at all.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he’d like to be but he’s not shown anywhere near the consistency for a big move and I can’t see anyone taking a gamble. I expect unfortunately Neves will go in the summer and Nunes will be “number one” to fill those boots (which are massive massive boots to fill). He’s full of talent but I’m not sure if it’s a mix of consistency or desire but he’s not hitting the levels at the moment. He doesn’t have the ethic or professionalism/desire of Neves of that I’m sure.
Unless there is a Mendes gentleman agreement of some kind that he was always going to move on for pretty much what we paid for him to Liverpool back when we signed him (which I hope/think is not the case) then I agree with that.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless there is a Mendes gentleman agreement of some kind that he was always going to move on for pretty much what we paid for him to Liverpool back when we signed him (which I hope/think is not the case) then I agree with that.
Yeah I don’t think that would be the case as there’s zero benefit to us. Even with Jota there was a risk v reward situation. The risk was paying a lot for him in relative terms in the championship the reward was a 300% plus profit (regardless of whether folk think he went too cheap) a situation whereby we pay £40 million is a risk as he (Nunes) might not work out to then sell him for the same price is no reward to us. Even with the much talked about Fabio deal there is/was a risk v reward situation

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Felt hints there that all was not well previously with our approach to transfers. It certainly looks like Sellars was well out of his depth.
When anyone says Sellars I can’t help but think of the Pink Panther, what with him and Lage (Inspector Cluesau)

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think hes shown in patches the talent and he always celebrates goals with passion,but your right not consistent enough and goes missing in some games so far

I think Hobbs is laying down the pathway for Neves and Nunes to be gone in the summer,something i think we all really think will happen
If we get a couple of decent replacements i dont think there will be any outcry as we have been fortunate to have Neves for as long as we have

Players like Traore,Lemina,Gomes hopefully will help fill the gap but we need more, Ugarte is an obvious target if we can get him
Im sure the homework is being done, as Hobbs says they scout for months and years ahead,its just getting them over the line something that isnt as easy in some cases

At least Hobbs seems more open than Sellars and talks sense that fans can understand and get on board with

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
"We" spoke to Hobbs last week. Very approachable. Chance meeting. Some points.

Went to South America and spoke to Enzo (Chelsea chap) 3 times. Couldn't agree when signing/start and Benfica came in. Also at the time had spare time and a chance to scout Gomes. Every cloud has a silver lining...

Could have got Lemina for the fraction of the fee we paid him in the prior season but Lage said no.

Expect a few leavers in the summer.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

Went to South America and spoke to Enzo (Chelsea chap) 3 times. Couldn't agree when signing/start and Benfica came in. Also at the time had spare time and a chance to scout Gomes. Every cloud has a silver lining...

Could have got Lemina for the fraction of the fee we paid him in the prior season but Lage said no.

Stirrer

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sounds more to me like Neves is off in the Summer, as others have said I can't see Nunes having enough interest at a fee that will force us with his current contract length.

This is however all part of the process and if it enable us to get other talent and improve the sustainability of the club then it's the way to go.

The whole Caicedo saga with Brighton is the wrong way to go in my eyes and doesn't encourage other players who want to join, he will be wondering why Cucurella and Bissouma got their moves but he couldn't, although I'm sure there's far more to it.

We have to accept we are a stepping stone and a place to develop, as long as we can keep unearthing talents it's a brilliant model.

What we can't do is afford to many Fabio Silva's (not knocking him but we still need people to come straight in and can't afford to nurture players for that period of time.

Hopefully Gomes is ready by summer when we lose Joao and maybe Neves but if not it's nice to know we have safe signings like Lemina who will be here providing continuity.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think leavers is a given, Adama, Costa and Moutinho are out of contract and we will likely lose Neves and look to move Guedes on, maybe Raul as well, I think Nunes might still be here next season as he hasn't pulled up any trees here yet

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think leavers is a given, Adama, Costa and Moutinho are out of contract and we will likely lose Neves and look to move Guedes on, maybe Raul as well, I think Nunes might still be here next season as he hasn't pulled up any trees here yet
Maybe but perhaps Nunes is holding out for that bigger pre arrangement move if there is one?? Hence why he has some held back performances trying not to get injured?? He’s due a good game

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good interview. Comes across as modest and honest, but knows what he wants to do given the chance. I’m very comfortable if that’s a fair reflection on him. Comes across as the complete antithesis of Sellars if I’m honest.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched the interview earlier.
I thought he came across well and as open as we've seen since the early days of FOSUN when Shi and Dalrymple were on the charm offensive.
He seems a decent person, friendly too with a good personality and a good work ethic too. Dare I say it, polar opposite to Sellars with regards to his confidence, as though he knows what he's doing and what he's talking about.
I know they say bull**** baffles brains, but I think he'll do well, so let's give him room to play.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely this.

Back
Top Bottom