Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Marcal, Saiss, Moutinho & Ruddy

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course the 4 first team players going into the final 12 months of their contracts, and can sign for another club (overseas) from January for free

This season Saiss will turn 32, Marcal 33, Ruddy and Moutinho 35. 3 of these players currently in our starting line up and all have been great servants to the club, and Marcal staying fit and doing well this season

Would you be offering any of these 4 new deals beyond the end of this season? and if not how and who would you look to replace these senior players who are influential at the club beyond what happens on the pitch and all big characters. Is to too much to loose all 4 at the same time? Will younger players give us enough experience or do we have enough now with the remaining squad for that not to matter so much going forward?

Notwithstanding the deadline day debacle, we tried and failed to bring in midfielders and defenders with seemingly a view to replace some of these players, eventually... quality over quantity by all accounts so if we are to replace these guys then their replacements will need to be of sufficient ability

Baring in mind our failed summer targets and assuming we will try again to either complete those deals or to convince those who were not keen, if we do not offer new deals, is it as below...

Botman or Caleta-Car = Saiss
Sanches & Kamara = Moutinho (plus 1 midfielder)
Jonny = Marcal (plus a new left back if Jonny cannot recover)
Sarkic/Sondergaard or new gk = Ruddy

Or should we be looking to keep any of these 4 players beyond this season or is our recruitment 'strategy' (such as it is) trying to replace them?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could be looking at needing a brand new midfield next summer, over to you recruitment team :tearsofjoy:

If Neves goes for £40m+ and Moutinho leaves on a free, that would give us a bit of cash and circa £170k in wages to bring in 2 or 3 more.

Kamara on a free and Sanches maybe?

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Offer them all one year extensions, even if we/they decide to move on it would mean we could get a few extra pennies possibly.
I wouldn’t offer to extend Moutinho. 36 is stretching it, he’s not quite the same superman physique of Ronaldo.
Would absolutely love him coaching the kids in the art of game intelligence though.

The rest, yes please. If they turn it down, fair enough, but worth a go.

Reactions: Ian

VictorPyrrhic

Groupie
Reaction score
GK: SA + New
CB: Boly + Kilman + Mosquera + New + New
LB: Johnny + Ait Nouri
RB: Semedo + Hoever + New
CM: Neves + New + New
LW: Trincao + Neto
RW: Hwang + New
F: Jimenez + Silva + New

I'd sell/release Ruddy, Coady, Saiss, Marcal, Dendoncker, Moutinho, Podence, Traore, MGW.
9 out and 8 in.
Revolution not evolution next Jan and summer for me.

VictorPyrrhic

Groupie
Reaction score
Having laid out the squad above, we could end of doing quite a bit of business next summer but still finds oursleves vulnerable to inuries/suspensions....nevermind if we sell Neves. I don't think it's good to start with a completely new midfield given they are integral to the team dynamic and next summer with no Neves/Moutinho we are looking at just that.

Put's in to further perspective just how negligent we have been this summer by not purchasing a CM. Even one that we don't expect to be fully ready until next year.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would think Sarkic will replace Ruddy if his loan goes well.

Maybe Giles for Marcel, though if he has a fairly injury free year it may be tempting to keep him.

A new centre back coming in plus Sanderson and/or Gomes could replace Saiss.

Moutinho is still looking great, but I’d expect him to take advantage of a free transfer and get himself a good contract back in Portugal.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Until reinforcements come in, Saiss/Moutinho leaving would be ridiculous. I think Moutinho will move on though. At the very least we need some pre-contracts incoming for next season.

Reactions: Ian

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Neves will go in the summer esp as he sees Jota doing well at a big club. This is surely Moutinho's last season at this level. Saiss? If we can get a few bob for him, sell him on. That means pretty much a re-build in mf next year. I assume the FFP restrictions will be over so there should be cash to buy. Problem is that assuming we finish mid/low table and no Europe what decent players will want to come here?

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Neves goes for £40m+ and Moutinho leaves on a free, that would give us a bit of cash and circa £170k in wages to bring in 2 or 3 more.

Kamara on a free and Sanches maybe?
I am sure they will spring into action

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s a lot of players to fill the squad if all are released next summer.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nice slant on the thread Keyser.
Age is not on anyones side especially an athlete.
Not sure I see the team keeping any if them on tbh.
One thing is for sure, replacing them will surely require some investment, but not to worry, we won't have to worry about ffp so much then...;)

In the Championship, with new owners, no midfield players, no new stadium etc etc...

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I'd sell/release Ruddy, Coady, Saiss, Marcal, Dendoncker, Moutinho, Podence, Traore, MGW.
9 out and 8 in.
That's an absurd amount of transfer activity, can't remember a club ever doing it successfully

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The more you look at it, it will be like starting again next season. Such a shame as we could have built on our European season and moved up season on season. Oh well, this is Wolves and this is what we do! We need to finish top half this season to attract players and with money in the bank next summer we go again. I think we can build the defence around Kilman, we'll need a completely new mf and provided Jimenez gets back fully fit he can lead the line. Amazing to think we'll write a whole year off just to stand still and then, depending on our recruitment, perhaps struggle to get mid-table?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Problem is you'd not want any on more than a 1 year deal, Ruddy aside don't think many would accept. Wouldn't shock me if Moutinho retires.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The way it seems to be going we'll end up being like Newcastle. I won't be paying 800 holes next season if it goes like that...no way Jose.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The more you look at it, it will be like starting again next season. Such a shame as we could have built on our European season and moved up season on season. Oh well, this is Wolves and this is what we do! We need to finish top half this season to attract players and with money in the bank next summer we go again. I think we can build the defence around Kilman, we'll need a completely new mf and provided Jimenez gets back fully fit he can lead the line. Amazing to think we'll write a whole year off just to stand still and then, depending on our recruitment, perhaps struggle to get mid-table?
And last season was seen as the transitional one as well..... just goes to show, if you stay still.....you go backwards

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And last season was seen as the transitional one as well..... just goes to show, if you stay still.....you go backwards
How true. Just to think not that long ago we had a settled side, 5 at the back who all played well together, Neves and Moutinho at the peak of their powers and a front 3 of Jota , Jimenez and Traore, all combining together. It's no surprise we finished 7th twice. If we could of built on that side, perhaps one top addition each of the past 2 seasons, boy what a side we could have now. Oh well, all wishful thinking!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Offer them all one year extensions, even if we/they decide to move on it would mean we could get a few extra pennies possibly.
Depends on terms too. Even if l offered Mouts a new contract, and l'm not sure about that, it certainly wouldn't be on £100k/week. We have several decent goalkeepers who could step up to be first cover too so l question extending Ruddy further. Marcal and Saiss l'm unsure about.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Saiss ain't accepting a 1 year deal at all. Will be his last big contract

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How true. Just to think not that long ago we had a settled side, 5 at the back who all played well together, Neves and Moutinho at the peak of their powers and a front 3 of Jota , Jimenez and Traore, all combining together. It's no surprise we finished 7th twice. If we could of built on that side, perhaps one top addition each of the past 2 seasons, boy what a side we could have now. Oh well, all wishful thinking!
Yep. But if we could all tell the future we would all win the lottery!

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends on terms too. Even if l offered Mouts a new contract, and l'm not sure about that, it certainly wouldn't be on £100k/week. We have several decent goalkeepers who could step up to be first cover too so l question extending Ruddy further. Marcal and Saiss l'm unsure about.
Agree with that, i was in a bit if a rush earlier and didn't take the time to flesh out my post.
Marcal and Saiss i would go straight up one year extension.
Ruddy, i would offer the same, but with the view of move him on and it's just to ensure we get some money.
Moutinho i would enquire as to if he would be interested in a coaching position after it and then work that around if yay or nay.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

9 out and 8 in.

So you'd keep an injury prone, inconsistent, aging Boly over Coady who has been a near ever present and probably in his prime... hmmm interesting.
Not to mention offloading proven talent in Traore and Podence but favouring Hwang.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

9 out and 8 in.
How in God's name is releasing/replacing pretty much half of the current senior playing squad anything other than ridiculously high risk? That's without even getting into the rationality of the individual choices for which there is zero supporting logic. Bears all the hallmarks of excessive computer-game playing....

This is real-life not FIFA.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho will be kept on as corner routine coach!!

Saiss is pencilled in at the Glee club

Marcal is looking at doing the doors in Brum

Ruddy will be off to be new Norwich player/manager

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

9 out and 8 in.
I'm pretty sure you've been quite vocal (and rightly so) about the stupidity of only having 3 CM's (even though we have 4).

Yet your master plan involves having just 3 CM's.

VictorPyrrhic

Groupie
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you've been quite vocal (and rightly so) about the stupidity of only having 3 CM's (even though we have 4).

Yet your master plan involves having just 3 CM's.
I jusk kind of assumed Jordao, Shabani my be ready for back-up roles next summer. If not then we probably need another CM too unfortunately.

VictorPyrrhic

Groupie
Reaction score
How in God's name is releasing/replacing pretty much half of the current senior playing squad anything other than ridiculously high risk? That's without even getting into the rationality of the individual choices for which there is zero supporting logic. Bears all the hallmarks of excessive computer-game playing....

This is real-life not FIFA.
Usually i'd be on the same page as you but we have a new manager not needs players for his style. It is over 2 windows and 4 of those players are out of contract anyway so why renew and i've also factored in that we are probably losing Traore. If he signs put him back in.

I still think we'll need 6 in and 6 out minimum over the next 2 windows. Also, most of those that are on the list do need upgrading if we are to progress but there is of course some personal discretion such as Boly over Coady but i tried to consider it from the playing style Lage implements.

Back
Top Bottom