Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Man United Verdict Thread

the 15th Wanderer

Reaction score
Full strength United are a top4/6 team they have had loads of injuries. Watched them against Villa the other week crap defence first half but very potent going forward. Now they have their defence back.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wrong starting 11, obvious that United would sit and play on the break, starting with Doc was brainless, however sometimes Sa also act’s brainless.

Reaction score
GON got the starting XI wrong and was too slow to change things.

We were able to coast to a win against a mediocre Championship team on Sunday but, even then, started slowly and could have been punished when Wallace missed a free header. Quality PL sides (which Man u are when they have their first choice team out) will not let you off the hook so easily and we were fortunate to only be 2 down at the break.

For me, RAN and Gomes should have been on at half-time and Fraser and Sarabia also introduced earlier than they were.

One thing I love about this crop of players, however, is their spirit and we almost snatched an undeserved draw through that.

No complaints with the final result although it's obviously frustrating to lose a goal like that (as good as it was from their perspective) a minute after levelling.

Hopefully, he goes back to his best possible starting XI on Sunday which includes RAN, Gomes and Sarabia

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even more so why we should have started full strength
Just maybe Gary wanted to reward the players who have done well lately with not getting dropped.....yes Gomes could have started but upset Doyle , who has been excellent lately.....Sarabia was only just back......and did the knee support on Rayan play a part in him not starting....

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf o thought he could’ve cut out the cross for Hojland goal too. Tired, jaded, not very good - call it what you want, Max had a shocker.
On TV it looked like he tried to cut out the cross but merely succeeded in deflecting it past Sa. Either way, Shaw should not have been given free entry into our box.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Not as distraught as expected, given they should have been out of sight by half time. Strange performance really. It did cement our fighting spirit and the small squad however. Europe seems a long way off right now this season. I fear a defeat at Stamford Bridge will see a section of this forum go into meltdown. A few Summer arrivals and Wolves Go(n) again.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Full credit to the boys for giving it a real go in those last 20 minutes. But that really glosses over what was a fairly shocking all-round performance. Actually gave a passable impression of Newport at times.
Tough on Newport, that. We couldn't have complained if we'd gone in 5-0 down at HT. We just didn't look up for it. United played with more tempo and disappointingly, desire and hunger - only thing they lacked was a clinical finish. Ten Hag outthought Gary in the first half as well with the Shaw / Rashford overload on Semedo. The pitch seemed massive. As you say though, the spirit was commendable after half time, and Gary's subs made some sense. To chuck it again though after getting back to 3-3 is awful in its own right though.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Team selection apart (yes, Gomes, RAN and Sarabia should all have started) our tactics and setup were questionable.
At certain points in the 1st half it looked like Doherty was playing deeper as the 3rd CH with Toti ahead of him as the LWB. On the right Neto had presumably been told not to track back as Shaw, two or three times, overlapped with no cover behind Semedo (who I thought was excellent all night long).
Then, at about 30 mins, Semedo moved the left and Doherty to the right !!?? What was that all about ?

GON is doing a great job and, for the most part, has us set up well for whichever opposition we are playing. But he and his team got it badly wrong last night.

fleck1

Reaction score
First half was terrible we were miles off it, we couldn't have complained if it was 4 or 5 and very lucky it wasn't. Back three was all over the place and we could barely string a pass together, we have to do better for all four goals. Starting line-up was all wrong from the off and we were too slow to change it we needed Gomes and RAN legs to combat their pace down the flanks, we ended up with Doyle and Doc chasing shadows. We became a different side with the introduction of Sarabia and RAN, showed great fight to come back in to the game, probably didn't deserve a point over the 90 mins but to throw one away like that is very disappointing.

the 15th Wanderer

Reaction score
Even more so why we should have started full strength
Was Sarabia up to 90 minutes after his injury? Gomes or Doyle is a debate. Not necessarily about better more different. I wouldn't have minded seeing both and Lemina. Lots of factors we are not privy too. I do know our bench looks much weaker than it did unless some of the youngsters come through. I wasn't too stressed when United brought an 18 year old lad on yesterday so what do I know:)

Teddy Ruxpin

Groupie
Reaction score
Driving back for most of the game, sounded like we were awful first half, got in just after we scored our penalty and sounded much more at it to find the score 1-3, then watched a really enjoyable game of football.

Disappointed to have lost, but please we gave them a game in the second half. Have to say their winner wasn't half bad.

I'm pretty philosophical about our season at the moment, we aren't getting relegated so we should approach these games with some freedom, which we seem to have done (at least in the second half)

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I just think there was an emotional hangover from Sunday's BCD to begin with and fair play they got going after that.

GON rewarded the starting xi on Sunday and definitely RAN and Gomes needed to start to give it some energy.

Great game and great fight.

The FA cup is vital now - it gives structure and meaning to the season.
Im with you on this, we should be resting players before the Brighton game where possible.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not as distraught as expected, given they should have been out of sight by half time. Strange performance really. It did cement our fighting spirit and the small squad however. Europe seems a long way off right now this season. I fear a defeat at Stamford Bridge will see a section of this forum go into meltdown. A few Summer arrivals and Wolves Go(n) again.
We have to be realistic anything from last night and Chelsea is a bonus regardless of how poor they are at the moment they still have good players. We was expected to be in a relegation fight with the likes of sheff utd

The thing is Man Utd winning in such style keeps Ten Hag in a job. They probably think he is a great manager now. Not all is bad

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't like the first half. I liked the last 30 minutes or so of normal time.

I liked most of the additional time. I didn't like the end.

We were mostly poor but a little bit good.

We played a Man Utd that hadn't been seen for weeks ... ah, well.

Roll on Chelsea.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As for Dawson's booking, whatever happened to Simon Hooper's famous '...it's a coming together, we don't give those...?'

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Games like this just highlight why we are still not close to those Euro challenging sides yet. United and Chelsea at their best are levels above us as are Newcastle and Villa.
On our day we can push any team last night was a weird game. We should not of had a chance of getting anything from it.

It was enjoyable despite losing. We move on villa & newcastle better squads about to be crippled by ffp

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first United goal came very early, disturbing our team's performance in the first half, when we were lucky to be just 0-2 down. Luck then turned its face elsewhere. The face of Onana saved one of the on line clearances, the third United goal came up from a corner in which both our defender and United forward missed the ball, which hit Mc... face and went into the top corner, giving SA no chance to save. It was not a huge performance for our defence, but that's because we went behind too early.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I
a lot of exxtra time because of unites time wasting and then the buggers profit from it.boo

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would like to point out to those Mancs whinging about the soft penalty that Onana has flattened both Sasa and Kilman one in each game and not been carded or conceded a penalty. Both were assault

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we should be able to afford his talents with the security of a back 3/5.
Maybe the problem is we seem to actually spend a lot of time with what looks more like a back 4?
They just seemed to ghost through the middle of the park in the transitions.. a bit like we did to them first game of the season (but we sadly failed to score).

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we can, because one going our way doesn't really make up for the multiple balls ups against us. Do think it went our way though, any contact was initiated by Neto and it was minimal having seen the replays. We've still had worse given against us this season! But we got one for us
And how bad is it that VAR didn't reverse it. Put aside how it keeps screwing us, it was never a penalty. We'd have been livid if it went the other way.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
Just maybe Gary wanted to reward the players who have done well lately with not getting dropped.....yes Gomes could have started but upset Doyle , who has been excellent lately.....Sarabia was only just back......and did the knee support on Rayan play a part in him not starting....
Yes, think GON is quite big on players "earning and keeping the shirt". There does seem a pecking order that changes with performances and injuries. You could see Fabio and Sasa slipping down the subs bench before they were loaned out.

Wonder if at some point, Santiago Bueno gets a start without an injury or suspension.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And how bad is it that VAR didn't reverse it. Put aside how it keeps screwing us, it was never a penalty. We'd have been livid if it went the other way.

Yes, but the point is we’ve had so many similar ones given against us, where VAR hasn’t overturned them either, it’s not unreasonable that we finally get a lucky break. I mean even in last nights game it could be argued United got away with one when Onana clattered Kilman. That’s twice he’s clattered our players now with nothing given.

So yes, the officials and VAR is crap, but for once, it’s not biased against us as well.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, think GON is quite big on players "earning and keeping the shirt". There does seem a pecking order that changes with performances and injuries. You could see Fabio and Sasa slipping down the subs bench before they were loaned out.

Wonder if at some point, Santiago Bueno gets a start without an injury or suspension.
we probably needed fresh legs but i couldn't argue with him not changing the team that had largely been successful the last few games....and as i said there may heave been mitigating circumstances as why he didn't change it Rayan knee strapping , Doyle's form and Sarabia wasn't fit on 3 days before...

Santi bueno is a bit unlucky but Toti gives us balance...so may continue to get picked.....He cant win had he made 3 or 4 changes and lost everybody would have moaned..

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
we probably needed fresh legs but i couldn't argue with him not changing the team that had largely been successful the last few games....and as i said there may heave been mitigating circumstances as why he didn't change it Rayan knee strapping , Doyle's form and Sarabia wasn't fit on 3 days before...

Santi bueno is a bit unlucky but Toti gives us balance...so may continue to get picked.....He cant win had he made 3 or 4 changes and lost everybody would have moaned..
Absolutely. We're a decent mid table outfit and we're going to lose games. Think we've only been stuffed really by Brighton at home, which is testament to the fightbacks and to the end attitude which is so refreshing.
I think GON is doing absolutely brilliantly! And rewarding good performances with another start I am all for.

MIKE SLATER

Groupie
Reaction score
Perhaps Wolves should have settled for a draw and kept the unbeaten run going, but at least we play more positive football these days. Wolves have scored more League goals this season than last season already, and more cup goals too.

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
United decided they would play well for the first time this season as they had a lot of players back, we were very poor first half. I’m repeating what most thought, we are a battling side now and scoring goals which is what we all want, talk of Europe is way out of line, we were nowhere near a top 7 team at the start of the season and still aren’t! But it’s been a great effort so far this season from GON and all the players, we all know we need a few players but you can’t do it all in a season.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
News flash- our squad has talent but is limited in areas and consists of players who, on occasions, won’t play very well. Last night several dropped below par and we suffered.

Not bothered. Love the way we play, the fact I’m not bored ****less anymore and that we are scoring goals.

Everyone I speak to is aware of the squad situation and delighted with the job Gaz and the boys are doing.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So yes, the officials and VAR is crap, but for once, it’s not biased against us as well.
It's never been biased against us. It's just a crap system run by people crap at their job, as last night proves once again.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then, at about 30 mins, Semedo moved the left and Doherty to the right !!?? What was that all about ?
So bizarre. Lasted all of about 5 minutes. It's little moments like that which remind me the GON experiment really could unravel very quickly. Hope I'm wrong, of course!

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So bizarre. Lasted all of about 5 minutes. It's little moments like that which remind me the GON experiment really could unravel very quickly. Hope I'm wrong, of course!
I think he knew he had a problem with Doc’s lack of pace. He got the team selection wrong but had backed himself into a corner. Maybe with more experience, GON may have took him off before half time. Incredibly harsh on Doc but I got the feeling that’s what he would have liked to have done.

Back
Top Bottom