Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Man United Verdict Thread

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really poor for about 70 minutes. GON got it wrong today and I was baffled he didn't make a change at half time. Bellegarde, Doherty and Toti were all really poor and I don't think many people would have started the first two of those.

Can't fault the fight in this team though. They keep going till the end.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lucky to be only 2-0 down at half time poor first half , and United much better than they have been continually hit on the break,
Wild second half, after the pen the momentum had started to shift, then we concede from a corner for the first time this season? Thought that might kill the game off, but this team never gives up a great fight back to 3-3, only a couple of minutes left and momentum with us then they kill us with a 4th. Gutted in how it ended, a real mix of positives and negatives overall
An exciting if ultimately disappointing second half

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not great defensively but that’s the price you sometimes pay for getting forward. Let’s not forget that’s the strongest United team for a while. My only gripe is Doherty starting instead of RAN
Agree. I think I’d be tempted to say Bellegarde isn’t ready yet. Probably shouldn’t have started, but definitely not in the 9 position. Feel for him a bit, but it’s clear he is still adapting, so playing him out of position is not going to help him in that sense.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A gutsy second half performance does not hide how awful we played in the first.
Crazy team selection to play Bellegarde up front - would loved to have seen Fraser given a chance instead...
Anyhow UTW!! :) :) :)

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was a shambolic performance, and I really mean that.

We deserved to lose by at least four goals. We got back in it from a penalty that was a dive (about time), and then a corner.

We are playing a team that is poor on the road, and one that doesn't score goals, and they scored four and really should've scored at least four more.

It was disgraceful and the scoreline is so misleading.

A lot of that is on O'Neil as well. He picked the wrong team, and it should've been obvious. We were poor against West Brom, we just did a job. Ait-Nouri had to start. Joao Gomes is a lot better than Tommy Doyle.

Bellegarde is essentially useless as a striker. Play Fraser when Hwang isn't available or make Cunha do the job, purely because you've been let down by the board.

The only thing you can praise them for is the fighting spirit, but that performance is the worst we've given all season by a mile. It's sickening to lose that way, but we genuinely deserved to lose by three at least. Hugely concerning.

Clipboard

Reaction score
Should have been 6 or 7 nil. Sa some workday saves casemiro misses sitter header.

We must play our best team sticking to the same team killed us

We must have ran and Doyle has played well but in big games with bite needed in midfield we need gomes

Sarabia over bellegarde.
Bellegarde held up at times and ran nicely but looks off it compared to cunha
Couldn't agree more.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Masters of our own downfall unfortunately some really bad defending.

Tremendous fight though. We played better second half. Very unlucky not to get something
‘Bad’ defending is awfully kind of you.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
might seem odd saying this because of how the game turned out but that was our worst performance of the season.
says a lot about man utd more than anything. if they didnt win that game as a fan you would be raging.
we were so abject i cant believe we scored 3 and only conceded 4

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was a shambolic performance, and I really mean that.

We deserved to lose by at least four goals. We got back in it from a penalty that was a dive (about time), and then a corner.

We are playing a team that is poor on the road, and one that doesn't score goals, and they scored four and really should've scored at least four more.

It was disgraceful and the scoreline is so misleading.

A lot of that is on O'Neil as well. He picked the wrong team, and it should've been obvious. We were poor against West Brom, we just did a job. Ait-Nouri had to start. Joao Gomes is a lot better than Tommy Doyle.

Bellegarde is essentially useless as a striker. Play Fraser when Hwang isn't available or make Cunha do the job, purely because you've been let down by the board.

The only thing you can praise them for is the fighting spirit, but that performance is the worst we've given all season by a mile. It's sickening to lose that way, but we genuinely deserved to lose by three at least. Hugely concerning.
Think you’re overreacting on the whole.. was poor, but one of those days.. I don’t disagree with any of your granular analysis though. Some very bad picks.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For all the good saves, Sa was at fault for at least 1 of those goals. Dilly and dallying on the ball then smashing it straight out of play, then from that attack they score was really frustrating to watch. Don't tell me he made this and that save, as that's literally his job!!

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're jaded operating with a small squad .
I'd take the points total , our position and beating the Albion rather than being in Evertons position . Yes we need a striker but we MUST adhere to ffp rules or face going down .
I thought GON would take us down along with 90% on here .
Gutted tonight , but put it in perspective.......we're OK.
Fosun do need to wheel and deal in the summer . Spunking 5 mil on a maybe from Chelsea isn't the answer now .......Big summer ahead .
Out of darkness...........

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First 55 mins was a performance straight out of last season’s playbook. It really looked like we had regressed back to having nothing about us under Lage, Davis and occasionally JLo.

After that we got our tails up and put it on them like we needed to from the start. Our subs made a difference and probably should have started with the 3 senior players who came but hindsight is a wonderful thing and some loyalty was shown to the players from Sunday.

It’s a hard one to take but when you play like we did overall for the first 55mins you are lucky if you are still even in the game, which we somehow were. But you can’t defend like we did for the entire game, you just can’t.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can't win them all. First half we were half asleep, getting done down the wings, slow to react. Could have been 3 or 4 down at half time. Second half was an improvement, and a good fight back, but the two goals conceded were really bad.

Reactions: Ned

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever the verdicts on the performance, tacticts, starting eleven etc that was a seven goal thriller and how many boring games have we endured. That last 20 was exciting stuff and my heart was racing during that added time. That's what its all about. The lads looked devastated too but will bounce back, this team has spirit.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think you’re overreacting on the whole.. was poor, but one of those days.. I don’t disagree with any of your granular analysis though. Some very bad picks.

Was it one of those days?

We let in 6 to Southampton and it was a decent performance. Today they scored four and there must be six or seven sitters?

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really poor starting lineup.

The team that played the last 30 should have started.. it’s a big game, no time for loyalty for the last few weeks.

That was the difference for me. Distinctively second best for every minute of the first 60.. then we turned up..

No more messing around. Pick the best starting 11 who know their positions well.
Man Utd picked their best 11. We didn't. Seems like a pretty easy reason to see why we lost by 1.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all the good saves, Sa was at fault for at least 1 of those goals. Dilly and dallying on the ball then smashing it straight out of play, then from that attack they score was really frustrating to watch. Don't tell me he made this and that save, as that's literally his job!!
He’s a goalkeeper.. you don’t get consistently good saves without mistakes outside of the best 3/4 goalies in the world.

Sa is a decent goalie.. makes mistakes, makes up for it at times also. We should be happy.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Kilman giving Mctominay a yard in our own 6 yard box was also pathetic defending by our capt.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope nearly salvaging something doesn't just paper over the cracks of what was a terrible first half. Poor setup from GON and we have to do something about the way we start games because it's killing us. There's not another team in the league who would be as passive as we were for those opening 20 minutes.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Full credit to the boys for giving it a real go in those last 20 minutes. But that really glosses over what was a fairly shocking all-round performance. Actually gave a passable impression of Newport at times.

Was worried when I saw the respective line-ups and formations and it was obvious right from the start that we would be overloaded in midfield and down the flanks.

Bringing on RAN at least gave Garnacho something to worry about defensively and Sarabia had a positive impact from the bench but we should have made those changes much earlier. All three centre-halves individually and collectively very poor.

Would have been ridiculous if we had taken something from the game as we should have been 4 or 5 down but still absolutely gutting to lose in that manner.

Sa 5
Kilman 3
Dawson 4
Toti 4
Semedo 5
Lemina 5
Doyle 6
Doherty 5
Cunha 6
Bellegarde 5
Neto 7

RAN 7
Sarabia 7
Gomes N/A
Fraser N/A

I guess we were due an off-day but I didn’t think we would be quite that bad tonight.

At least it was exciting and the boys showed real heart to keep going.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fully agree. I love Doyle, but Gomes gives you that combativeness, combined with Lemina it gives us much more control centrally in games like this. I think he has to start on Sunday.
What they should have done if they really wanted Doyle was drop Bellegarde and just have Doyle play with the other two.

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
Some poor defending. I think we are too nice. Why we don’t break up play earlier with a niggly foul I don’t know. Certainly when we went 3-3 take a booking if needs be.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Conceding more than 3 is a habit Gary needs to address!!!

He got so much wrong tonight…..

But if we don’t sell Sa then Jesus Christ……

The bloke is ****ing pony

But at least he got them fighting for 35 mins, but Jesus you cannot give a team a 2:0 head start and a free half where they should
Have been out of sight

waltononthehillwolf

Reaction score
What a game - **** result but we competed for the last 30 minutes or so - some daft decisions both on and off the field - I still love being a Wolves fan - man and boy for 50 odd years - we can beat Chelsea as long as we can recover from the last 2 massive games - peace and love everyone :)

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman giving Mctominay a yard in our own 6 yard box was also pathetic defending by our capt.
Disgustingly overrated. Put him in a 4 and he gets exposed most weeks. Have to sell if West Ham are willing to pay the rumoured £40m.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gutted.

Wrong team to begin with but battled hard to get it back. Self inflicted not enough composure.

Main thing is we kept going that's all we need.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Full credit to the boys for giving it a real go in those last 20 minutes. But that really glosses over what was a fairly shocking all-round performance. Actually gave a passable impression of Newport at times.

Was worried when I saw the respective line-ups and formations and it was obvious right from the start that we would be overloaded in midfield and down the flanks.

Bringing on RAN at least gave Garnacho something to worry about defensively and Sarabia had a positive impact from the bench but we should have made those changes much earlier. All three centre-halves individually and collectively very poor.

Would have been ridiculous if we had taken something from the game as we should have been 4 or 5 down but still absolutely gutting to lose in that manner.

Sa 5
Kilman 3
Dawson 4
Toti 4
Semedo 5
Lemina 5
Doyle 6
Doherty 5
Cunha 6
Bellegarde 5
Neto 6

RAN 7
Sarabia 7
Gomes N/A
Fraser N/A

I guess we were due an off-day but I didn’t think we would be quite that bad tonight.

At least it was exciting and the boys showed real heart to keep going.
Very fair analysis.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could have easily been 3-8. United missed loads of opportunities. We just weren't at the races for most of the game, probably from fatigue both physically and mentally. Starting lineup was understandable out of loyalty, but we looked slow and ponderous at times in that first half, quite unlike our recent performances. Fair play for hanging in and never giving up - heartbreaking to lose like that and arguably even worse when your stream is 2 minutes behind and you are reading 'FFS' posts while still celebrating :(

I suspect we will lose again on Sunday, because you can't be expected to play 100 minutes twice and an FA Cup tie in a week with a squad this small

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Need to rotate for the starting lineup. I like Doyle as much as the next, but surely Gomes and his legs would have helped in the first half. Probably RAN too, I dunno.

Hope Sunday is better.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In reality the first half cost us where we were awful. Man Utd were there for the taking but we gave them far too much respect. They dont like teams getting into them but that first half by us was awful. Start the game well and we win that game in my opinion. Having said that to get back in the game and then give away a goal so quickly was atrocious and not what a Premier League side should be doing. A great fight back ruined by awful play.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
GON has to pick these lads up for the next game, that'll be a true test of his management capabilities.

Back
Top Bottom