Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Man city

bully9

Reaction score
Can someone please explain why Man City have not been done yet , just in case I’m missed something, or is it easier to punish the not so rich clubs

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can someone please explain why Man City have not been done yet , just in case I’m missed something, or is it easier to punish the not so rich clubs
Man City have a lot of breaches but they are all around getting through FFP. If they fall foul they will only have one charge which is breaching FFP. All this nonsense of relegating them to leauge 2 is just that. Worst they will get is 10 points for irregular accounting and breaching ffp.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think, ( actually, more like guessing), that the City violations are going through the system.

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
It's Man City - same as if it was LiVERpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and Man Utd - they are exempt

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The charges for Man City go back 15 years, most were thrown out by a court of appeal, others surround pay offs for managers and player bonuses, all very contentious, with other charges around not supplying paperwork ,all of which they deny and lawyers involved which always puts years on cases
They have operated well within FFP rules over the last 6 years or so

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To use a simple analogy if you had a speeding ticket come through the post asking to confirm if you were driving would you expect a mass murder to be convicted before your case?

I genuinely can see Man City getting screwed big time (similar to Juve) but it’s going to take years to work through all 115 charges.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The charges for Man City go back 15 years, most were thrown out by a court of appeal, others surround pay offs for managers and player bonuses, all very contentious, with other charges around not supplying paperwork ,all of which they deny and lawyers involved which always puts years on cases
Yep. Nothing to do with FFP - as I'm tired of telling Everton fans - and likely won't be concluded in any court for five years.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought some of the allegations were around sponsorships which padded the profit side of the ledger but more difficult to prove.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because it's a far more complicated case.

The accounts Everton & forest submitted showed them over the limit. Man City's say they're under, but using dubious/illegal deductions, depending on your view.

Reactions: Ned

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To use a simple analogy if you had a speeding ticket come through the post asking to confirm if you were driving would you expect a mass murder to be convicted before your case?

I genuinely can see Man City getting screwed big time (similar to Juve) but it’s going to take years to work through all 115 charges.
Juve were subsequently found innocent of all charges but the league supremo had a vendetta against them and refused to alter the punishment

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought some of the allegations were around sponsorships which padded the profit side of the ledger but more difficult to prove.
There are 115 charges some surround sponsorship but basically its all around accounts and paperwork submitted
Man City say they submitted everything on time the League say they didnt so down to the courts we go

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t know that…….thought the violations were recent.

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s really a nonsense, they may be found to have done some dodgey accounting but it will result in one FFP breach. I think it just makes the scousers happy to think they are being unfairly treated.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton and Nottingham Forest are being punished for breaking a limit. There is no allegation that what they have submitted is incorrect, it is fairly black and white as a result.

Man city haven't been punished as of yet because what they have declared to the premier league has always been in the limits.
They are basically being accused of falsely reporting their accounts in multiple years in multiple different ways. It gets very dry to look at in any more detail, but I think they will genuinely get kicked out of the league if found guilty.
The only thing they have got going for them is that the premier league might not want to give an incentive for a hugely rich team to look to build a superleague outside the traditional system.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They managed to get out of some of the UEFA charges as they only had certain timeframe in which to bring the charges and unfortunately they ran out of time. Unfortunately for City there is no timeframe so they can bring all the charges regardless of when they took place.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Historic case of over 100 charges

Will 1 take time
2 to form a case / evidence
3 city to defend themselves
Over 100 charges this isn’t 1 breach this is huge data it will drag on and don’t think much will happen to them it will be hard to prove maybe take points off them and transfer embargo I can’t see much more they are a premium product

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The fun question is going to be, if they do (eventually) find City did cheat and lied about it for all those years, do they go back and retroactively award the Premier League title / FA Cups to the runners up? it's going to be a total **** show and could seriously damage the reputation of this League.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's Man City - same as if it was LiVERpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and Man Utd - they are exempt
Not a legal fact, but it is more honest and accurate to treat it as a 'built-in' tradition.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think anything will happen to Manchester City. It has been allowed to drag on for far too long, and to punish them retrospectively opens a whole new can of worms. Rather than over 100 charges being made against the club, shouldn’t a concerted effort have made to reach an outcome on the most serious charges.

While Everton and Nottingham Forest have only themselves to blame for their current situation, I can understand their supporters frustration that Manchester City appear to have got away with it.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fun question is going to be, if they do (eventually) find City did cheat and lied about it for all those years, do they go back and retroactively award the Premier League title / FA Cups to the runners up? it's going to be a total **** show and could seriously damage the reputation of this League.
This is a very good question….let me mull it over, pls.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, it’s crazy how this has dragged on. They’re clearly going to have to throw the book at them if they can after clamping down on everybody else. However, I would like to think that clubs coming second to them wouldn’t want to be awarded the title… although Arsenal would probably have an open top bus parade with the relevant year’s squad and manager coming back.

dgm6769

Reaction score
Just been on ssn they say the city case will be end of next season at the earliest.
Also something about leaked emails that started off the investigation may or may not be fake.
So nothing gonna happen anytime soon.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just been on ssn they say the city case will be end of next season at the earliest.
Also something about leaked emails that started off the investigation may or may not be fake.
So nothing gonna happen anytime soon.

And you can guarantee the clubs lawyers will make sure this drags on and on.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The reason Everton and Forest have been done is the accounts they submitted demonstrated that they had failed the profit and sustainability rules. It's like pleading guilty, the next step is sentencing.

From what I understand, Man City will never have failed FFP from what they've reported. But it's more a question over the figures they have submitted. So it's a lot more complex, involves a significant amount of money and resource to investigate, and is far more difficult to prove, hence the time it is taking.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a good summary on the Athletic in light of the Everton punishment.

The charges span 2009-2018, involve a mixture of PSR/FFP breaches, misreporting of financial results and payments, and then obstruction of the PL’s investigation. It’s highly complex, and were they to be ultimately found guilty of all, then the punishment would likely blow any other club punishment in England out of the water.

People saying this has already been dismissed are wrong. Some of the charges relate to UEFA FFP compliance, and they were found guilty and banned from Europe for 2 years. However they got themselves off the ban on a technicality - the time limit for these charges had passed. However the PL has no such time limit, and can prosecute a club going back as far as the league and they within in it, existed. Some of those UEFA charges apply in the PL, so they are part of the 115.

As regards the comparison with Everton’s punishment and the latest Forest and Everton charges, the Man City ones are far more complex, cover a far longer period, and none are covered by the new fast track PSR review. So yes this is going to drag on. I think it’s probable they will be found guilty of most, if not all, of the charges, and will then appeal, and continue to appeal for as long as they can to drag this out.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think anything will happen to Manchester City. It has been allowed to drag on for far too long, and to punish them retrospectively opens a whole new can of worms. Rather than over 100 charges being made against the club, shouldn’t a concerted effort have made to reach an outcome on the most serious charges.

While Everton and Nottingham Forest have only themselves to blame for their current situation, I can understand their supporters frustration that Manchester City appear to have got away with it.
I felt the same, just prioritise the biggest transgressions and just go for the top two.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aside from discussing the PL's inability to manager FFP, Talksport guests and pundits were questioning why they don't use the NFA/NBA example of financial oversight. In these sports, when a club reaches it's limit they are not allowed to spend anymore money on players.

oldsamdingle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Its because they are untouchable , There legal teams can can run the premier league into the ground, The premier league are much more comfortable going after the easy targets ,

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The reason Everton and Forest have been done is the accounts they submitted demonstrated that they had failed the profit and sustainability rules. It's like pleading guilty, the next step is sentencing.

From what I understand, Man City will never have failed FFP from what they've reported. But it's more a question over the figures they have submitted. So it's a lot more complex, involves a significant amount of money and resource to investigate, and is far more difficult to prove, hence the time it is taking.
People keep saying city this city that. Lol jealousy?? Longer it goes on less evidence if you ask me, stuff will go missing they will get off lightly talk of titles being stripped and other things like thrown out the league definitely won’t happen

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a good summary on the Athletic in light of the Everton punishment.

The charges span 2009-2018, involve a mixture of PSR/FFP breaches, misreporting of financial results and payments, and then obstruction of the PL’s investigation. It’s highly complex, and were they to be ultimately found guilty of all, then the punishment would likely blow any other club punishment in England out of the water.

People saying this has already been dismissed are wrong. Some of the charges relate to UEFA FFP compliance, and they were found guilty and banned from Europe for 2 years. However they got themselves off the ban on a technicality - the time limit for these charges had passed. However the PL has no such time limit, and can prosecute a club going back as far as the league and they within in it, existed. Some of those UEFA charges apply in the PL, so they are part of the 115.

As regards the comparison with Everton’s punishment and the latest Forest and Everton charges, the Man City ones are far more complex, cover a far longer period, and none are covered by the new fast track PSR review. So yes this is going to drag on. I think it’s probable they will be found guilty of most, if not all, of the charges, and will then appeal, and continue to appeal for as long as they can to drag this out.

I think it’s safe to say IF (big if) city are found guilty they’re going to be hit by some massive sanctions. Wouldn’t be suprised if titles are taken from them and a lengthy European ban.

Call me naive but I think there’s a genuine effort to clean up corruption in this sport (not because they want to but because all eyes are on them). FIFA being investigated by the FBI has shook them up and it’s filtered down. The EPL has been a toothless tiger since inception but it’s having to sort its house out now as all eyes including the government are on them.

bully9

Reaction score
Its because they are untouchable , There legal teams can can run the premier league into the ground, The premier league are much more comfortable going after the easy targets ,
Truthfully I think your right , scared of I’d say , but doesn’t that make it worse. Personally I’d go after city 1st and make a example of them

JJ59

Reaction score
Man City lawyers will be running rings round the EPL. However sooner or later both sides will want to put this to bed. Now we have a court date we are creeping slowly towards a conclusion. This will involve plea bargaining and guilty pleas on a basis by City. City are the current crown jewels and the EPL will be very keen to minimise the reputational damage to the standing of the Premier League, unlike a proportion of the fans who want blood.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it’s safe to say IF (big if) city are found guilty they’re going to be hit by some massive sanctions. Wouldn’t be suprised if titles are taken from them and a lengthy European ban.

Call me naive but I think there’s a genuine effort to clean up corruption in this sport (not because they want to but because all eyes are on them). FIFA being investigated by the FBI has shook them up and it’s filtered down. The EPL has been a toothless tiger since inception but it’s having to sort its house out now as all eyes including the government are on them.
Sorry, but I think you are naive!

You asked for it!

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that what the EPL want above all else is that the government don't appoint a regulatory body above them with the power to investigate them and generally tell them what to do. I think they will do ANYTHING to avoid that, including, if necessary, chucking City out of the PL.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

God, I hope you’re right but won’t get my hopes up that City will receive any significant punishment.
Would give anything to know how all other 19 PL clubs feel, ( the owners mostly), about City.

Are they somewhat indifferent , ( just business after all), or do they feel even a little be incensed?

Back
Top Bottom