Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Luton & City

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lose these two and I think Gary's head will be on the chopping block. Anything better than a 3 goal loss against City would be a bonus, but if we get tonked by them 5 or 6, AND we get beaten by any score against Luton, it is (or should be) curtains.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think it's much of an if and more of a when.

Think Wolves lose both.

T

TheConcourse

Lose these two and I think Gary's head will be on the chopping block. Anything better than a 3 goal loss against City would be a bonus, but if we get tonked by them 5 or 6, AND we get beaten by any score against Luton, it is (or should be) curtains.
Anything less than 3 points and it’s curtains IMO.

We’ve got Villa, Bournemouth and Sheff U as 3 out of the next 4 after City. We simply have to get 6 points out of those 3.

We can’t gift this guy time - and it’s quite ludicrous that we’re going to pay his salary for sitting on the beach for the next 3 years.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
When he was appointed it was a sham of a appointment and seemed rushed. That's what sadly it has shown to be. If we do not beat Luton then he should go. He should not even be given Man City if that were the case.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said when we appointed GON in a hurry Hobbs/Shi would also have another list in their in trays of managers who we could get later on in the year. That list is now pretty much at the top of the 'to do' agenda. Quite incredible how they gave GON a 3 year contract, and I expect the same for his team who will also go when he does. Does Shi know how to throw money down the toilet?

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Luton 0 points from 5 games gives me a horrid feeling next Saturday we’ll do what we excel at.
GON wasn’t any of the fans preferred appointment but I don’t see Fosun sacking him anytime soon after giving him a 3 year contract.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we lose next week then that’s 3 points from 7 games.

That’s just 2-3 games from ‘nigh on impossible to come back from territory’.

Assuming Fosun spunked all their load on Lopetegui, were down to the level of O’Neil to replace him, it actually beggars belief who they may end up replacing him with.

If we are to somehow claw ourselves to safety this season, Luton is simply a must win.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ll beat Luton.

People need to give their heads a wobble seriously.

Man United we should have won and played them off the park.
Brighton are a top, top team but the scoreline flattered them. Deserved to lose it.
Everton we ground out a win.
Blackpool a good performance and expected to win.
Palace score line flattered them again.
We lose at home to Liverpool having played them off the park first half. Again, a top, top team.

I am not panicking. Luton is a big game though. If we win it we’ll be on 6 points from 6 games (4 of them away) and a tough opening set of fixtures.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Assuming Fosun spunked all their load on Lopetegui, were down to the level of O’Neil to replace him, it actually beggars belief who they may end up replacing him with.

If we are to somehow claw ourselves to safety this season, Luton is simply a must win.
Presume they have enough money in the budget to pay off 3 year contracts for Gary and all his staff?

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think so. No-one expected us beat Liverpool nor expects us to beat City. If we lose to Luton questions will be asked, certainly, but there is no way Hobbs will be admitting defeat so early in the season.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Way to early to say that but Luton is a must win for O'Neil that's for sure. But we will be down there with five to six other teams all season in my opinion.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s been this case as soon as the fixtures came out.

He should have until Villa.

Anything less than 3 points in the next three games and he should be sacked.

He should be sacked tomorrow if they can get Potter. But, on the basis I presume we sounded him out in the summer, O’Neil should get 3 more games and make a proper decision over the international break.

If we have 3 points from 8 games, he can have no complaints.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An absurd 3 year contract though.....how much we are going to have to waste in paying him off?
Think they usually agree a pay off amount in the contract but he's on nothing like Lopetegui £8mill a year .

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s been this case as soon as the fixtures came out.

He should have until Villa.

Anything less than 3 points in the next three games and he should be sacked.

He should be sacked tomorrow if they can get Potter. But, on the basis I presume we sounded him out in the summer, O’Neil should get 3 more games and make a proper decision over the international break.

If we have 3 points from 8 games, he can have no complaints.
Potter is not coming to Wolves

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd sack him regardless, absolute sham of a manager.
Do I want better than O'Neil? Yes

Will we get better than O'Neil if we get rid? No

Will sacking the manager help our current situation? No

The way I see it, if we sack O'Neil now, we'd be left with Davis as a caretaker again while they look for a new manager, apart from this time they won't front up the money for another Lopetegui-type appointment that actually has the quality to significantly improve things in the short term.

With the way things have gone over the past year or so, I can't see any half-decent manager queuing up for the job either!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ll beat Luton.

Brighton are a top, top team but the scoreline flattered them. Deserved to lose it.
We lose at home to Liverpool having played them off the park first half. Again, a top, top team.

I am not panicking. Luton is a big game though. If we win it we’ll be on 6 points from 6 games (4 of them away) and a tough opening set of fixtures.

I hope you’re right. I don’t want GON to fail. Not because I wanted him here, but because having to replace him quickly, after a summer to forget, would be a disaster and would make it extremely hard for even a decent, experienced coach stupid enough to take over, to deal with. But, as others have said, I can see us struggling against Luton away. We’re not clinical enough, and they will defend in numbers and hit us on the break.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im already dreading the Luton game
I think I'd be more confident if Luton had got a point yesterday, surely they won't be 0 points from 6

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think they usually agree a pay off amount in the contract but he's on nothing like Lopetegui £8mill a year .
I will be shocked if there isn’t a break clause in the contract to reduce his compo if sacked in season one.

Moyes had one when he was sacked by United, they nearly missed the deadline for a much cheaper pay off by a day

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will be shocked if there isn’t a break clause in the contract to reduce his compo if sacked in season one.

Moyes had one when he was sacked by United, they nearly missed the deadline for a much cheaper pay off by a day
This is Jeff we are talking about

His secret plan to take us down sell everyone off and start again with the kids and players out on loan

Funds syphoned out back to China, from player sales

If they are serious about staying up. O’Neil must be sacked if we lose to luton.

Last edited:

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ll beat Luton.

A lot of coulda, shoulda, woulda in that statement. Basically, you are saying we have turned into plucky losers. All bite and no bark.

The Luton game is the important one. Anything less than a win and we should pull the trigger.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd sack him regardless, absolute sham of a manager.
I’m not as familiar as you with GON and his career!!

What part of yesterday’s first half performance was lacking in your view??
How did GON persuade Cunha to miss that unmissable goal?
And how did GON manage to arrange for Sa to throw the ball directly to the opposition??

Thanks in advance for your replies

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’ve had time to reflect on our start and have accepted it’s about right in truth. Man Utd away any point would have been a bonus, Brighton at home we just have to accept Brighton are a good team that tonked Man U on their own patch yesterday so again any point a bonus. Everton we won we rode our luck but got the 3 points. Palace away always difficult to get anything there so again a point is a bonus and Liverpool again we have to accept they’re a much better team. It’s the Luton’s Sheff U, Burnley, Forest etc games which will define our season. Our 2nd half performances are worrying of course but GON will live or due by those definitive games listed above. Did I want GON? No, do I think he’s got enough to keep us up? I honestly don’t know but he should surely get at least a dozen games before we axe him.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I’ve had time to reflect on our start and have accepted it’s about right in truth. Man Utd away any point would have been a bonus, Brighton at home we just have to accept Brighton are a good team that tonked Man U on their own patch yesterday so again any point a bonus. Everton we won we rode our luck but got the 3 points. Palace away always difficult to get anything there so again a point is a bonus and Liverpool again we have to accept they’re a much better team. It’s the Luton’s Sheff U, Burnley, Forest etc games which will define our season. Our 2nd half performances are worrying of course but GON will live or due by those definitive games listed above. Did I want GON? No, do I think he’s got enough to keep us up? I honestly don’t know but he should surely get at least a dozen games before we axe him.
Small sample size admittedly, but we've got 3 pts from these 5 fixtures rather than last year's 6 pts. Also 4 of the 5 games we're comparing with the better second half of the season. Lose to Luton and the pressure will be huge, also the belief in the dressing room will start to go, which is crucial.

T

TheConcourse

I’m struggling with this…

We basically have to beat Luton, Sheff U, Bournemouth, Burnley, Forest and Everton home and away to stay up, because we can’t beat any teams above us?

This squad isn’t that bad. It’s better than last season IMO.

The variable is the Head Coach.

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
This is Jeff we are talking about

His secret plan to take us down sell everyone off and start again with the kids and players out on loan

Funds syphoned out back to China, from player sales

If they are serious about staying up. O’Neil must be sacked if we lose to luton.
Stop going on about channelling money back to China. The accounts will show they haven’t and besides which there are legal and taxation implications. You can’t just write a cheque from Wolves to Fosun in the way some are suggesting.

You are entitled to be frustrated with the owners, I am too, but suggesting a money laundering operation is way off the mark.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will 30 points be enough to survive this season? that’s about all I can see us getting unless something radical changes like a move to a back 3.

Luton and City won’t define our season but 3 points from 7 games will be a disaster.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who do you replace him with though ?

And decent manager would ruffle the Fosun feathers like lopetegui did . They don't like that so go rid of him to be replaced by a yes man .

So who is coming in to sort this out is my question.
**** Jeff off get someone in with proper experience and start running the club like a football club and not a Chinese business.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not as familiar as you with GON and his career!!

What part of yesterday’s first half performance was lacking in your view??
How did GON persuade Cunha to miss that unmissable goal?
And how did GON manage to arrange for Sa to throw the ball directly to the opposition??

Thanks in advance for your replies
Fully agree. We have to give him time. There is no one better out there. I was there yesterday and in the 1st half we were as good as I have seen in 2 years.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stop going on about channelling money back to China. The accounts will show they haven’t and besides which there are legal and taxation implications. You can’t just write a cheque from Wolves to Fosun in the way some are suggesting.

You are entitled to be frustrated with the owners, I am too, but suggesting a money laundering operation is way off the mark.
Throw enough gormless **** around, the more the gormless eat it up.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can already see Luton as a match where we have all the possession,miss a hatful of chances,then get beaten by a scrambled late goal or unmarked header from a corner.
The Wolves' way.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fully agree. We have to give him time. There is no one better out there. I was there yesterday and in the 1st half we were as good as I have seen in 2 years.
Trouble is mate, that they don't give out points for single-half performances. Agree, though, Wolves aren't sacking GON any time soon.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really? Really?

Back
Top Bottom