Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Luke Matheson

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Generally don't disagree. Not many other options though with a small squad.

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It might be a bit soon for him, but I seem to recall us having to throw both Lescott and Murray in at the deep end, and both performed admirably. Obviously the Premier League is a different level, but Matheson has played regular first team football, which neither Lescott nor Murray had done prior to their Wolves debuts (Murray had a few non league games under his belt).

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I assume he was perhaps to be for Doc what Vinegre is to Jonny, and would be brought up to first team starting standard over the course of a season through the bench and cup games. Same could be said of Burr I guess?

Martin Riggs

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I doubt he'll play a game for us next season, he's not even had a training session under Nuno yet has he? Sanderson before he went out on loan was never full time with the senior squad either was he? Nuno always makes a point of telling you when a player from the under 23s is now fully integrated into the first team squad, in the Championship he did it with Kilman towards the end of the season and last season Burr was promoted. So if we don't sign anyone it'll either be Traore or Burr, going by Nuno's track record.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Presuming he'll go out on loan once we sign a Doc replacement, with Burr and perhaps Sanderson sticking around. Hopefully he's good enough for a Championship loan, but not really watched him much. Great hair.

D

Deleted member 11332

Presuming he'll go out on loan once we sign a Doc replacement, with Burr and perhaps Sanderson sticking around. Hopefully he's good enough for a Championship loan, but not really watched him much. Great hair.

I've thought Nuno might keep him around until January to have a good look at him in training before he goes out but agree he won't be playing first team minutes with us this season.

Himleywolf

Reaction score
Who had heard of Trent Alexander Arnold before he was given a go.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Luke signed to replace Doc. It's all clear now.
I hope people really do not expect this young lad to be able to come straight from the third tier and make his mark on the premier immediately. It is asking too much of the lad.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How old is the kid?
18ish?
Last playing for Rochdale just months ago.

People need to realise the step up required for Luke is absolutely massive,and hoping he will make that in one or even two years..or indeed ever..is not realistic.

I hope Matheson turns out to be massive quality,but I also know the odds is stacked against.

Matheson cannot reasonably be expected to be the answer for us in the upcoming season.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How old is the kid?
18ish?
Last playing for Rochdale just months ago.

People need to realise the step up required for Luke is absolutely massive,and hoping he will make that in one or even two years..or indeed ever..is not realistic.

I hope Matheson turns out to be massive quality,but I also know the odds is stacked against.

Matheson cannot reasonably be expected to be the answer for us in the upcoming season.
I agree , he is a couple of years away yet I think.

D

Deleted member 4023

Expecting a lad who only recently left school to take over from Doc - wow!!
He'd get crucified after just one bad display by our resident 'football experts' on here.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Expecting a lad who only recently left school to take over from Doc - wow!!
He'd get crucified after just one bad display by our resident 'football experts' on here.
Is it expecting him to, or is it just saying he might?

D

Deleted member 5635

Might actually be starting the first game the way things are going. Lets hope he shines

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just listening to the Athletic pod cast. Jackie Oakley is saying this lad is on crutches at the moment as he got injured in training.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Younguns have been in abit longer

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Theres no point having an academy if ever time a vacancy comes up in the first team the clamour is to make an expensive signing.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Theres no point having an academy if ever time a vacancy comes up in the first team the clamour is to make an expensive signing.
Only if your Academy players are actually good enough. Academies serve two purposes.
Firstly to produce (truthfully for top teams generally by exception) players good enough for your own first team.
Secondly income generation raised by selling those players not quite good enough for your own team to other, often lower, teams.
Just look at the money City and Chavski make from the latter.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only if your Academy players are actually good enough. Academies serve two purposes.
Firstly to produce (truthfully for top teams generally by exception) players good enough for your own first team.
Secondly income generation raised by selling those players not quite good enough for your own team to other, often lower, teams.
Just look at the money City and Chavski make from the latter.
This exactly, if we want to operate at a higher level academies will probably produce say 1 first teamer every 3-4 years! Will produce a lot of 'nearly good enoughs' that we can keep on the books if they do make the step up or move on to bulster funds if not.

Sad (as nothing better than seeing 4-5 players who've come through the ranks playing in the first team together) but that's how it is at this level.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loads of potential but miles from the First Team. Zero chance he would play even if fit.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just listening to the Athletic pod cast. Jackie Oakley is saying this lad is on crutches at the moment as he got injured in training.

****s sake. Hope he is ok. Sounds a talented lad.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gutted for him, think he would've played against Sheff Utd.

If you want to see how highly Buur is rated look at Matheson's behind the scenes video where Thelwell talks about the position he plays, how it suits him etc. (1:54), anyway I'm sure he says 'there's only one' as in ahead of him in the pecking order and that's where Doherty's name is.

I presume Traore would've been ahead of him if available just because he's more experienced for Sheff Utd away but with him likely out as well then Matheson would've been in IMO.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
****s sake. Hope he is ok. Sounds a talented lad.
He was unlikely to feature againt Sheff Utd, just hope he doesn't get a major injury so early in his career. Can't find anything online. Anyone know how he is?

Back
Top Bottom