Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Luis Ocampos and Lille

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great article on Sky about his transfer dealings and who he may join next.

We could only dream.

But what I found interesting is the list of Lille players who are apparently for sale.

On the verge of beating powerhouses PSG to a title and apparently half the team is up for sale.

I know most of them well from my years of managing Wolves to various titles on FM21.

Would like us to go in for almost any of them and I know we have been linked with Sanches but from the below list is there anyone you'd fancy?

Maignan - GK
Botman - CB
Celik - RB
Ikone - FW
Soumare - CM
Araujo - FW

Reactions: DPE
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Lille have one of the best transfer records in the world. Absurd level of talent found for a net gain in transfers.

Luis Campos. If he'd come he would be my number one target but doubt he'd want to work so closely with Mendes.

Believe Soumare to Leicester is all but completed though from above list.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lille have one of the best transfer records in the world. Absurd level of talent found for a net gain in transfers.

Luis Campos. If he'd come he would be my number one target but doubt he'd want to work so closely with Mendes.

Believe Soumare to Leicester is all but completed though from above list.
Shame if we missed out on him as we did Tielemans, he's been touted as top class for years.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm guessing they are all good on football manager?
Yes and good enough to win a league ahead of PSG as well...

The FM21 bit was a little tongue in cheek but anyone aware of the game would know they get their statistical analysis from Prozone which is exactly what most prem teams use I believe.

It's a very detailed game and the amount of Scouts employed by the game now runs into the hundreds I believe.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

From this article it appear that Nuno signed Fabinho (now of Liverpool) when he was manager of Rio Ave. Another Mendes link ?

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Have a read, old article from 2014 but yeah Football Manager is very accurate, I've lost count of the players I've heard of through the game years before they break through in real life.

Obviously not all wonderkids develop.

But the game aside the real life fact of where that team is and where some of Campos' signings have gone too is far more important.

The French league isn't a farmer's league anymore either

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes and good enough to win a league ahead of PSG as well...

The FM21 bit was a little tongue in cheek but anyone aware of the game would know they get their statistical analysis from Prozone which is exactly what most prem teams use I believe.

It's a very detailed game and the amount of Scouts employed by the game now runs into the hundreds I believe.

Said it on here not long ago, but alot of teams actually use FM for scouting nowadays, this comes straight from the developers mouths aswell.

As for Campos and Lille, the way they've gone about transfers etc matches what Fosun want to do with us.

Find talent, develop them, sell for huge profit whilst being successful on the pitch aswell

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
Said it on here not long ago, but alot of teams actually use FM for scouting nowadays, this comes straight from the developers mouths aswell.

As for Campos and Lille, the way they've gone about transfers etc matches what Fosun want to do with us.

Find talent, develop them, sell for huge profit whilst being successful on the pitch aswell
If you don’t have an endless pot of money (and not many do), it’s the way to go really.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Yeah I agree and it'd be great to see us go in for Campos but we have our own guru in Mendes I guess.

I guess most the Lille players won't fit our bill of being able to add enough value?

But again I mention someone like Tielemans who although he was £30m he's now probably worth about £60m

All down to FFP I guess.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Sell Pepe for 60 million, replace with Victor Osimhen who you sell for 70 million who you replace with Yilmaz on a free who has scored 15 in 26 and Jonathan David who has had a decent season with 12 in 35

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sky article seems to suggest he's coming to the PL.

How likely is it that we would be in for him?

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sell Pepe for 60 million, replace with Victor Osimhen who you sell for 70 million who you replace with Yilmaz on a free who has scored 15 in 26 and Jonathan David who has had a decent season with 12 in 35

Probably wont get much for Yilmaz because of his age but the other two Turks, Celik and Yazici they'll flip for a big profit, espeically Yazici who's had a great season

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not been making the most out of the French Market. We need to use it more along with the English lower leagues.

After missing out on Soumare I want Renarto Sanches.

Maignan if we sell Rui.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Probably wont get much for Yilmaz because of his age but the other two Turks, Celik and Yazici they'll flip for a big profit, espeically Yazici who's had a great season
Yeah 100 %, just making the point you can sell players and still do very well. Notion of a selling club is meaningless. There are maybe 2 clubs in the world who aren't selling clubs. Look at Leicester who really should be our model, sell for big money then reinvest

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Unlikely I'd say there's a conflict of interest with him and Mendes.

But would be great if he did.

If we have got real ambition I think we would be in for all these players but looks like Leicester have beaten us to at least one. Again!

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not been making the most out of the French Market. We need to use it more along with the English lower leagues.

After missing out on Soumare I want Renarto Sanches.

Maignan if we sell Rui.

Ait Nouri aside you mean?

In the early days of Fosun Zenga and whoever our old sporting director was I forget his name we were all over it with mercurial talents such as Boukari, Oniangue, Doumbia and not forgetting Romain Saiss.

D

Deleted member 11332

Exactly the model required to break the financial stranglehold those massive sides have on the game. We are trying to do similar but people then moan we are a selling club. Can't win.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Exactly the model required to break the financial stranglehold those massive sides have on the game. We are trying to do similar but people then moan we are a selling club. Can't win.
Mentioned early, selling club is an idiotic notion. Are Liverpool a selling club because they sold Coutinho to fund to key players? United because they sold Ronaldo? Barca with Neymar etc

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In the early days of Fosun Zenga and whoever our old sporting director was I forget his name we were all over it with mercurial talents such as Boukari, Oniangue, Doumbia and not forgetting Romain Saiss.

Boukari, Oniangue and Doumbia were way before Fosun time. They were Morgan/Moxey specials. Players whose abilities matched the height (well, "depth") of our owners ambitions at the time. Doubt PSG or any serious club had any interest in any of them (unlike say, Ait-Nouri, Neves, Jota and numerous other Fosun buys).

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Boukari, Oniangue and Doumbia were way before Fosun time. They were Morgan/Moxey specials. Players whose abilities matched the height (well, "depth") of our owners ambitions at the time. Doubt PSG or any serious club had any interest in any of them (unlike say, Ait-Nouri, Neves, Jota and numerous other Fosun buys).
I actually liked Doumbia

*ducks*

D

Deleted member 11332

Mentioned early, selling club is an idiotic notion. Are Liverpool a selling club because they sold Coutinho to fund to key players? United because they sold Ronaldo? Barca with Neymar etc

Suppose the difference is selling when it suits the club themselves. Southampton were decimated by Liverpool for example and never really recovered, Leicester have been strategic with it and it's proven fruitful.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Perhaps the "success" of that is why we have done less subsequently?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think the difference is that Liverpool don't sell players at their peak for the club? They will only move on a player when a better replacement is avaibable. "Selling Club" doesn't mean literally a club that sells players, because as you say, all clubs do. It means you buy players *before* their peak and generally, when they have reached their peak, you sell them on and repeat. It applies, to different degrees, , to about 86 clubs in England, basically :)

As one of the "Forgotten 14", we are to an extent all selling clubs. In that the handful of biggest clubs all over Europe will be watching our players and attempting to the lure them away once they've proved themselves. And if not, they they will let us keep them. I think we are kidding ourselves if we think the likes of Neves will accept more than 2 or 3 years without European football, for example.

Same as what we do to the likes of Rochdale (that wing back) and even Championship clubs, that's how the top feeders see us. And as I said, Fosun money is irrelevant, players will accept a few seasons here, but when European football comes knocking...

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I think the difference is that Liverpool don't sell players at their peak for the club? They will only move on a player when a better replacement is avaibable. "Selling Club" doesn't mean literally a club that sells players, because as you say, all clubs do. It means you buy players *before* their peak and generally, when they have reached their peak, you sell them on and repeat. It applies, to different degrees, , to about 86 clubs in England, basically :)

As one of the "Forgotten 14", we are to an extent all selling clubs. In that the handful of biggest clubs all over Europe will be watching our players and attempting to the lure them away once they've proved themselves. And if not, they they will let us keep them. I think we are kidding ourselves if we think the likes of Neves will accept more than 2 or 3 years without European football, for example.
Van Dijk and Allison were at their peak tbf. Not young players hence the Premium. But yeah there is different degrees, and forward planning the key. Southampton playing that much brinkmanship with Liverpool was silly but they did well with Mane for Ings for e.g

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Feel like Campos would thrive better as a Sporting director at a club like ours or Leicester where he can find talents and then sell them on for huge profits to then reinvest, like he did at Monaco and Lille, over a top 6 team who would operate under a different model, with a lot more buying and not always lots of selling.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All sounds very sexist, lol... Can we replace "man" in both their names with "per-offspring" (obviously can't use "son" either)??????
In this modern woke world dont you have to check what they identify as today?

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The key word here is 'playing'. You can have the greatest talent spotter in the world, and pay big money to bring them to your club but if you aren't willing to play these players and put up with the poor performances (and dropped points) that comes with that then it won't mean a thing.

Lille, Atalanta and Dortmund - the teams Wolves want to emulate - do so well making profits because they put these players straight in. While Wolves have shown a willingness to play the younger players way more than most teams in the Premier League, we're still a long way off how the best talent factories in Europe do it. You could argue the strength in depth of the EPL compared to those other leagues makes it harder to do but it's still an issue.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Ocampos and the various players were doing well but Lille are in financial trouble as not a lot of the money actually sticks with them. (They could be poorly run). and people are waiting for him to finish with them and move onto the next club. He is like an evil version of Jorge! (Or just very good at it and works in higher volumes of talented youngsters)

No sources for this, just my understanding from various things I have read or heard.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Suarez and Coutinho both show that isn't the case.

Err... that's my point, though. All teams sell players. The big clubs sell *when it suits them*.

After they sold Suarez and Coutinho, what happened next? An upgraded Liverpool beat a Barca team containing both those players in the CL semi final the next season. And then won the Premier League for the first time in decades. Didn't have the same negative impact as selling Jota had on us, for example...though I know that is a can of worms probably left closed. :)

Liverpool sold and upgraded, as do Man U, Bayern etc. Most clubs sell and pray they can cling on another season without that key player that just deserted them. I'd tempt fate by saying thats' the position we will be in at end of August (as will Southamton, Brighton, Palace etc) ...praying that the lesser names we bought in are good enough to cover the star players who we just sold.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom