Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lose in Semis or Final

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Worst case scenario, England lose a match between now and the end if of the week.

Assuming of course England don’t win it,which would you prefer, dumped in the semis, or make it to the final and be defeated?

I hope l haven’t jinxed it. . .

Bjorn Star

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is a no brainer surely? The final. I'd given up hope on ever seeing England in a World Cup final and I'm only in my 20s! We've been such a letdown for pretty much every tournament I can remember. Still weird to think we're in the semis. The final would be a great achievement regardless of the outcome.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lose in final. Heartbraking as it would be, people remember beaten finalists more than beaten semi finalists. Sadly though, people remember winners more than runners up.

I want to lay the ghost of 1966 that gets rammed down our necks every international tournament.

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From a personal experience of losing in both when I played. It has to be losing in the semi Final! nothing worse thinking what could have been. Saying that it’s vile watching the other team celebrate in front of you in a final if they beat you

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Worst case scenario, England lose a match between now and the end if of the week.

Assuming of course England don’t win it,which would you prefer, dumped in the semis, or make it to the final and be defeated?

I hope l haven’t jinxed it. . .

Win , let’s believe

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doh, the final silly: England as the second most successful (if not second best) side in the greatest tournament in World sport? I'd take that.

It'd be disappointing, granted, but it would have a hugely positive impact on the mentality of the generation of players coming through, confirming the link between under-18 & - 21 International glory and full international success. Now what's the French equivalent of IKEA?

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mood we are in I'd be gutted if we lost to Croatia. Their midfield is to be feared but they're nothing special in defence or up front. And I was there the night of the Wally with the Brolly.....

It would hurt like hell to lose in the final but when you look at the other semi-finalists surely one of them will win it - an astonishing array of talent

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Losing in a semi is the worst thing. We should know after all.............

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mood we are in I'd be gutted if we lost to Croatia. Their midfield is to be feared but they're nothing special in defence or up front. And I was there the night of the Wally with the Brolly.....

It would hurt like hell to lose in the final but when you look at the other semi-finalists surely one of them will win it - an astonishing array of talent

Agreed but the final is a one off game and put nothing past this team. France and Belgium. Look beatable.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lose? Pfft. It's done and dusted, there'll be a second star on the shirt by next week.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All that matters now is our upcoming game against Croatia on Wednesday.
They should be no harder to beat than Sweden.
Come on England.
Make us proud of you. :)

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And there's a third place match on Saturday

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
As Nuno would say, “Croatia. Croatia.”

Be gutted to go out on the semi, and like @Bjorn Star says our generation have only ever known England being crap at tournaments. Be nice to see us in a final.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly think we are going to win the ****er.

It’s just over 12 months to the day since we signed Ruben Neves. Since then it’s as if the football gods have decided to repay us for 30 odd years of football misery and heartache in the most amazing, unbelievable way. This would just be the icing on the cherry on the top of the biggest **** off cake ever baked.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well the pubs will win more if you get to the final. Enjoy your drinks Englishmen ;)
And steer clear of bus shelters. They are not as solid as they look.

Sounds like there is a awesome story attached to this :D

Pompey Wolf

Reaction score
Come on guys. I'm 64 years old. When we won it in 66 I thought that was the norm! This is the best chance we've had in 52 years. Let's win the thing while I've still got most of my marbles and can appreciate it!

D

Deleted member 4453

The most soulless pointless game in the world is the 3rd place play off.. lose on Wednesday and that’s our fate.

Stuff that.

Get to the final lads

something to get excited about Saturday now. Don't think 3rd place play offs are often as bad as people expect. Can't remember one that was poor but I'm a 90s kid...

R

Redwolf

Final definitely, but, we are gonna win this World Cup, 2018. It IS afterall, coming home.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Typically depressive defeatist thread !
What we should be asking is who we would rather thrash in the final!!

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From a personal experience of losing in both when I played. It has to be losing in the semi Final! nothing worse thinking what could have been. Saying that it’s vile watching the other team celebrate in front of you in a final if they beat you

jsus/. Talk about defeatist. he who dares, Rodney, he who dares.....
Sounds like there is a awesome story attached to this :D

A guy jumped off a double decker onto a bus shelter at Clapham junction whilst celebrating. It’s all over the net.

Highwayman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Losing the semi would be worse as we are better than Croatia and realistically should beat them. Would be a bit deflating to lose to them.

Belgium and France are better than us at present so to lose in the final to them would still be a successful tournament.

N

nicko69

It would be unbearable to lose to French - just about the most arrogant nation on the planet.
If we don't win it, Belgium are my next choice.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
neither, but how unhappy I would feel about losing would be more down to the performance and how we lost rather than if it was the semi final or the final

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lose in the final. That would give us another four days of being hopeful before the inevitable happens against North Africa.

Jonny De Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
On a personal note IF we were to lose 1 game this week then losing the semi final would save me a small fortune,

for once I will be happy enough to finish this week with a lighter wallet and Friday / Monday off work

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This country would be on another level if we made the final.
On the verge of the greatest footballing year of our collective lives. Win this world cup and I may as well give up watching football all together

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will go nuts if we win this. I was out in a paddock when England scored the second on Saturday. I could here the roar from the village pub about a mile away. And that was just the QF

Back
Top Bottom