Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

London Stadium Legacy

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slightly off-piste in the athletics news I have been reading about UK Athletics (UKA) considering legal action after the London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) have told them to hold their Diamond League event in July elsewhere. LLDC justified it as costing too much at £3m to convert the stadium from football to athletics and back again. UKA have a fifty year contract to use the venue each July.

This stands out to me as a football supporter because if they can't use the stadium for athletics each year then it ceases to be a multi-use venue and is in effect for West Ham only under their cheap arrangement for use.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Slightly off-piste in the athletics news I have been reading about UK Athletics (UKA) considering legal action after the London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) have told them to hold their Diamond League event in July elsewhere. LLDC justified it as costing too much at £3m to convert the stadium from football to athletics and back again. UKA have a fifty year contract to use the venue each July.

This stands out to me as a football supporter because if they can't use the stadium for athletics each year then it ceases to be a multi-use venue and is in effect for West Ham only under their cheap arrangement for use.

That's absolutely disgraceful. Unfortunately I'm not surprised. UK Athletics have been conned.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's absolutely disgraceful. Unfortunately I'm not surprised. UK Athletics have been conned.
This will likely cost the LLDC and ultimately probably London council taxpayers dearly. UK Athletes, if they have a contract, have got a wonderful legal case for breach of contract....

Wonder what the 'genius" who, as Mayor of London, made the policies which led to this is up to now?.....

Wandsworth Wolf

Reaction score
Ah good old Boris - another one of his reckless decisions that costs the taxpayer a fortune. That whole Olympic stadium legacy deal is an absolute bloody scandal.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How the **** does it cost £3m to convert it from football to athletics and back again?!

The north bank cost £17m to pull down and rebuild if I remember rightly?

So converting a stadium that’s literally designed to be multi purpose costs nearly 20% of the cost of removing and rebuilding a whole stand?

They may as well just build a smaller athletics stadium next door, it’d pay for it self several times over within the 50 year contract they hold.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
It's principle vs business case TBH. If UK Athletics can near fill the stadium then they should have it otherwise another venue should be considered. On top of the capacity issue its a case of facilities/accommodation/transport links for the athletes vs costs of running the event in a bigger half full stadium vs a big athletics stadium (Crystal Palace/Gateshead/Alexander Stadium)

I loved the halcyon days of athletics in the 80's, but let's be honest the London Stadium is far too big for UK athletics these days. They should be done with it sell it to West Ham or at least increase the the rent so that they can develop it into a proper football stadium rather than a halfway house that it is.

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

But the fact that other events, such as baseball aren't happening this year should be irrelevant. That £3million cost is presumably factored in every year. And as is mentioned, they saved the £3million last year as no events took place.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They could build a 20,000 seat athletics stadium in the gap between the current stands and the pitch....

Back
Top Bottom