Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lofty the cowardly Lion

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I vaguely remember playing at Burnden park in the mid '90's, it was in the post hillsborough era, when the cages were still up, but the gates to the pitch were open and manned by a copper or steward (or rottweiler at Millwall). I seem to remember the Notlob mascot giving us the sly finger as he strolled past our end (several times) while waving happily to the home crowd.

At some point the gates were left unmanned, for some reason, and when the bloke in the lion suit wandered past the wolves end , he was charged by a few 'players'. I remember him legging it across the corner of the pitch to relative safety, much to the amusement of the away crowd. Hence 'the cowardly lion'

Anyone else remember this? :D

Doug

Groupie
Reaction score
I remember the game well!

Sat 18th January 1997 (well OK had to look the exact date up but it was this one), Burnden Park. Terraces behind the goal.

Attacking our end of the ground, Bolton had taken the lead in the first half via a John McGinlay header. (He of course was already infamous in Wolves' fans eyes for the David Kelly incident in the Play-Offs in 1995). A few minutes later, Bolton were lining up possibly for another corner, and McGinlay was standing in the penalty area looking at the Wolves fans behind the goal, taunting them by mimicking his goal going in with his head. Naturally this sparked a few jeers and appropriate hand gestures from said fans.

Half-time came, still 1-0 down and not looking like we were going to get much luck today. Enter the Bolton mascot, Lofty the Lion, parading around the outside of the pitch, and he ends up in front of the Bolton fans nearest us, in the side stand on our left. He gees them up in somewhat celebratory fashion, then looks over in our direction then back at the Bolton fans as if to say "Shall I go and say hello?" He then comes over to right in front of the Wolves fans and begins giving it the big "I am", doing strongman and celebratory poses, giving a very clear message "Ha ha, we're 1-0 up and you're playing $$$$".

At this point, around a dozen or so Wolves fans charged the open gate in the perimeter fencing, and were only just prevented from getting on the pitch by the stewards who shut the gate, the panicked looks on whose faces I can still picture to this day. The feline pest walked away. Now, I am no fan of violence at football matches (it is only a game) but I was itching to see that mascot get floored! :D

Second half didn't get any better, lost 3-0. Long drive home. Ah well. Did we really get wound up by an oversized stuffed toy? Yes, I suppose we did...!

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
John "$$$$$$$in' McGinlay

His real name!

Back
Top Bottom