Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Liverpool Season Ticket holders

R

reanswolf

Strange post I know, but I came across a 2020 survey, whereby the article revealed that of Liverpool’s 27,000 season ticket holders 5,832, or just 21.6%, had Liverpool postcodes, in comparison to 25,647, or 84.1%, of Everton’s 30,500 season ticket holders. Of course, this does not take into account that Anfield has a capacity of 53,400, so that leaves 26,000 supporters unaccounted for.

Is this a surprise? Perhaps not.

Wonder what ours would be? I reckon it would be similar to Albion's breakdown, with 40% living within 10 miles of the Whorethorns, and another 40% living within 50 miles.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
27000 STHs? Is that all? That sounds a bit odd.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strange post I know, but I came across a 2020 survey, whereby the article revealed that of Liverpool’s 27,000 season ticket holders 5,832, or just 21.6%, had Liverpool postcodes, in comparison to 25,647, or 84.1%, of Everton’s 30,500 season ticket holders. Of course, this does not take into account that Anfield has a capacity of 53,400, so that leaves 26,000 supporters unaccounted for.

Is this a surprise? Perhaps not.

Wonder what ours would be? I reckon it would be similar to Albion's breakdown, with 40% living within 10 miles of the Whorethorns, and another 40% living within 50 miles.
I vaguely remember a survey being done in the mid to late nineties.

They calculated the average distance traveled to home matches by season ticket ticket holders of every club...

If memory serves Wolves fans had the second highest distance behind Liverpool. It was done as a percentage of STH's not the total number.

I don't know if there has been a shift to more local fans in recent years but there are plenty Wolves fans on the trains to London/Southampton after every home game still and I recognize lots of faces from years ago.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

They calculated the average distance traveled to home matches by season ticket ticket holders of every club...

If memory serves Wolves fans had the second highest distance behind Liverpool. It was done as a percentage of STH's not the total number.

I don't know if there has been a shift to more local fans in recent years but there are plenty Wolves fans on the trains to London/Southampton after every home game still and I recognize lots of faces from years ago.
Don't trust my memory, but I think it was something like 30% of the crowd travelled at least 25 miles. Certainly feels like that trying to get out of the city after a match these days!

R

reanswolf

Don't trust my memory, but I think it was something like 30% of the crowd travelled at least 25 miles. Certainly feels like that trying to get out of the city after a match these days!
Yeah I do recall that survey.

Maybe it’s a reflection of people from the city moving out of it. I was not totally surprised to see that at least a proportion of those were actually born in Wolverhampton or nearby.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wouldn’t surprise me. Wolves fans are everywhere. I’ve seen our tops in every city I’ve lived in around the world, and in most places I’ve visited on holiday over the years.

If you do some family history, you’ll realise that a lot of people born in Wolverhampton in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s migrated out with the work. For example, this created large enclaves of Wolves fans in Shropshire and Cheshire. This is eroding as generations pass and younger fans get captured by Man Utd and Liverpool, but amongst my generation and my parents, it’s still sizeable.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn’t surprise me. Wolves fans are everywhere. I’ve seen our tops in every city I’ve lived in around the world, and in most places I’ve visited on holiday over the years.

If you do some family history, you’ll realise that a lot of people born in Wolverhampton in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s migrated out with the work. For example, this created large enclaves of Wolves fans in Shropshire and Cheshire. This is eroding as generations pass and younger fans get captured by Man Utd and Liverpool, but amongst my generation and my parents, it’s still sizeable.
There's a dwindling generation of glory supporters from out of town too.

You only need to see the London Wolves contingent, to understand many of the travelling home support are of a certain vintage.

Sorry to any London Wolves reading this...
you don't look old, you look distinguished.

R

reanswolf

I do think more local fans support Wolves than was previously the case, i think that its true most places as only the uneducated tend to glory-hunt (;-.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hmmm... I've been doing a bit of archival research on this recently, using Census date from the late 19th and early twentieth centuries. In the second half of the 19th C, there was a large influx in W'ton of people who had been born in nearby farming counties such as Shropshire, Worcestershire and Herefordshire. In one area of W'ton I looked at, All Saints, which was built between about 1890 and 1911, something like 40% of the those who first occupied these newly built houses had moved to W'ton as young adults about 30 years before attracted by work in the industry of that time: mines (coal and ironstone) and work in iron foundries, which were then still going strong. Places like All Saints were built precisely to absorb incomers because of a shortage of housing.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hmmm... I've been doing a bit of archival research on this recently, using Census date from the late 19th and early twentieth centuries. In the second half of the 19th C, there was a large influx in W'ton of people who had been born in nearby farming counties such as Shropshire, Worcestershire and Herefordshire. In one area of W'ton I looked at, All Saints, which was built between about 1890 and 1911, something like 40% of the those who first occupied these newly built houses had moved to W'ton as young adults about 30 years before attracted by work in the industry of that time: mines (coal and ironstone) and work in iron foundries, which were then still going strong. Places like All Saints were built precisely to absorb incomers because of a shortage of housing.

Indeed. I have family who moved into Wolverhampton from Shropshire, Staffordshire and the East Midlands in the 1800’s as the city and work grew. Then in the early twentieth century, there was a further movement to Cheshire as the iron and chemicals works developed along the Mersey. Wolverham for instance was established by the Wolverhampton Corrugated Iron Company for families who moved up from Wolverhampton. I saw one strand of my family, over about a century, move from Northamptonshire, through Aston, to Wolverhampton, and then to Ellesmere Port.

Interestingly, while most of my family originated in or passed through Wolverhampton in the 19th century and moved up to Cheshire around the same time in the early 1900’s, some branches became Wolves fans and others Man Utd! Outside of my family, there was a further influx of people into that area from Liverpool post WWII, and that’s when the Liverpool and Everton fans arrived.

Last edited:
R

reanswolf

Wolverhampton had a massive influx of Irish folk in the 1850s, in fact it was only behind Liverpool in terms of the % of people born there at 17%, compared to 25% in Liverpool. Wolverhampton was already nick-named 'Little Rome' because of the number of catholics in the town.

Wonder if any locals are old enough to remember the area of terraced house sandwiched between the railway line and the Bilston Road where VW Wolverhampton and other car showrooms now stand. This area was once an area for miners and or iron-workers from Chillington Iron Works and colliery, with streets like Miner Street, Collier Street etc.

Marpol

Reaction score
A great number of working lads from the grime of town, would take charabancs out to Shropshire on their day off. Many came back with farmers daughters for wives. My family tree is littered with mixed Black Country Shropshire marriages. Support for Wolves often reached into farthest Shropshire and North Wales from these liaisons

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolverhampton had a massive influx of Irish folk in the 1850s, in fact it was only behind Liverpool in terms of the % of people born there at 17%, compared to 25% in Liverpool. Wolverhampton was already nick-named 'Little Rome' because of the number of catholics in the town.

Wonder if any locals are old enough to remember the area of terraced house sandwiched between the railway line and the Bilston Road where VW Wolverhampton and other car showrooms now stand. This area was once an area for miners and or iron-workers from Chillington Iron Works and colliery, with streets like Miner Street, Collier Street etc.
I was born near there. Members of my family when I was a kid certainly knew that area when it was back alleys of slums. Same as Rough Hills, when there were coal and iron ore mines there, lots of miners' cottages with no sanitation.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

All my mates have STs. I live 200 miles away and only one lives in wolvo

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have never met an Albion fan anywhere I have lived in the South of England. I have met many Wolves fans when I lived in London and also where I stay, when I come back to the UK, which is 29 miles from London. Where I stay, in the UK, I bumped in to a Wolves fan, who had just returned from a Wolves away match with a Wolves shirt on. It turns out he lives 5 doors away, from where I reside, on my yearly return to the UK. I have met many Wolves fans in Basingstoke, who have no connections to Wolverhampton, quite often because their grandfather's started supporting Wolves in the 50"s.. I wrote in another thread last year, that someone who I got to know, told me her departed husband, who was born and lived in Basingstoke, was a Wolves fanatic that had been travelling to see Wolves for over 50 years, home and away.. she gave me all his Wolves football programmes and lots of other Wolves stuff, which I will treasure for the rest of my life.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There are varied and fascinating stories from fellow supporters here in Ireland as to how they started following Wolves. Over a dozen season ticket holders that I know of here and always meeting new supporters every week travelling over.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have never met an Albion fan anywhere I have lived in the South of England. I have met many Wolves fans when I lived in London and also where I stay, when I come back to the UK, which is 29 miles from London. Where I stay, in the UK, I bumped in to a Wolves fan, who had just returned from a Wolves away match with a Wolves shirt on. It turns out he lives 5 doors away, from where I reside, on my yearly return to the UK. I have met many Wolves fans in Basingstoke, who have no connections to Wolverhampton, quite often because their grandfather's started supporting Wolves in the 50"s.. I wrote in another thread last year, that someone who I got to know, told me her departed husband, who was born and lived in Basingstoke, was a Wolves fanatic that had been travelling to see Wolves for over 50 years, home and away.. she gave me all his Wolves football programmes and lots of other Wolves stuff, which I will treasure for the rest of my life.
I wonder if you've met me in Basingstoke?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I lived in a village of about 1500 people in Oxfordshire for a while and there were two Wolves fans apart from me who went to matches regularly and, yes, one Albion fan.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I lived in a village of about 1500 people in Oxfordshire for a while and there were two Wolves fans apart from me who went to matches regularly and, yes, one Albion fan.
What does every village need? The Boggie fulfils that role lol....

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That map is inaccurate. No Wolves fans in Vietnam? What about Vietnam Wolf? I had a few beers with him in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) a few years back and he still posts on here occasionally.
It’s a map of official supporter clubs recognised by the club. It’s not to say there are only fans in those areas, just that’s where there are supporter clubs.

Perhaps @Vietnam Wolf needs to get himself a club set up and/or recognised by Wolves so other likeminded individuals can meet over there!

R

reanswolf

There are varied and fascinating stories from fellow supporters here in Ireland as to how they started following Wolves. Over a dozen season ticket holders that I know of here and always meeting new supporters every week travelling over.
That great to hear Dubwolf.

Back
Top Bottom