Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lionel Messi apologises for Saudi Arabia trip that led to Paris Saint-Germain suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phil Spencer

Lionel Messi has issued a public apology to his Paris Saint-Germain teammates for his unauthorised trip to Saudi Arabia.

The forward has been suspended for leaving without permission and has had his wages docked as well.

Messi has released a statement apologising for his actions

The Argentine superstar is banned for two weeks and has been docked his wages
GETTY

Messi traveled to Saudi Arabia on a promotional trip on Sunday evening, just hours after the club’s 3-1 defeat to Lorient in Ligue 1.

It is understood Messi, who is a tourism ambassador for Saudi Arabia, requested permission to make the trip but was denied.

The 35-year-old was expected at training on Monday morning but failed to attend, with images of him being published in Riyadh instead.

His absence from training did not go down well with the club or the supporters, with PSG’s Ultras protesting furiously outside the club’s headquarters about the Argentine superstar’s trip away.

But speaking on social media, Messi explained the reason behind his trip away.

He said: “Hello, well, I wanted to make this video after everything that is happening.

PSG’s other stars were pictured in training but Messi was nowhere in sight
AFP

Fans were not happy as they protested against Messi and the wider PSG hierarchy
AFP
Leo Messi statement #Messi

“I thought we were going to have a day off after the game as always. I had this trip organized and I couldn't cancel it. I had already canceled it before…”.

“I apologize to my teammates and I'm waiting for what the club wants to do with me”. pic.twitter.com/GBuarEgwSl

— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) May 5, 2023

Most read in Football​

I played under Lampard but I'm more likely to fight him than say hello if I saw him

Wrexham players 'forced' into Vegas trip welcomed poolside and party with Steve Aoki

Man United legend clashes with player who scored stoppage-time winner and sparks melee

Liverpool 1-0 Brentford LIVE REACTION: Reds close gap to Man United with another win

Wolves fan demands apology from Agbonlahor after Villa legend 'slagged them off'

Guardiola rages at Haaland from touchline after Gundogan's penalty miss

“First of all, I apologise to my teammates, to the club. Honestly, I thought we were going to have a day off after the game, as had been happening in previous weeks.

“I had this trip to Arabia organised and I couldn’t cancel it. I had already cancelled it before.

“I repeat again and apologise for what I did. Here I am, waiting for what the club decides.”

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom