Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leicester City Verdict

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched the highlights back. For the other 3 goals apart from the opening belter you have to question Collins WTF was he playing at??

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa - must feel a bit exposed.
Jonny - great in the past but absolutely rubbish now. Sell.
Collins - at least he admitted we are **** in his post-match press conference.
Kilman - has little to no athleticism. Being found out playing in a 4 when compared to a 5.
Bueno - young lad, did well at Palace but not overly impressed today. Surely we have better currently?
Moutinho - playing on past glories. Game passes him by nowadays.
Neves - a gem wasted in the ****heap that is Wolverhampton Wanderers FC.
Nunes - probably not being played in his best position but that doesn't excuse how extremely average he's looked. Not impressed.
Adama - our main outlet going forward and it shows, often doubled. No doubt feels the pressure to produce and ends up trying to do too much. Hope he gets better treatment at his next club.
Podence - waste of space. Looks like a good footballer in spells but he's **** really. Can't wait until he leaves.
Costa - about as much as you'd expect from a bloke who hasn't played for months. Nice novelty factor but well off the pace.

All in all, **** off Wolves. See you all in the Champ next season.
I didn't watch the match, so thx for the summary. This pretty-much sums up a number of matches I've seen this season, so maybe keep it for future matches too, unless something drastic changes. Of course you won't be able to use it next season as most will be gone. Rats and sinking ship!
As a general point, we as fans seem to rate our players over and above what their true value is. Would we worry about the likes of Podence and Moutinho if they were at an opposition club! Did we really rate Collins at Burnley! If Villa had signed Costa with all the subsequent fanfare, we'd be laughing at them etc.... Because it's Wolves, it's OK. Well no, we have very average players that Nuno moulded into a team and without that team-spirit, we are seeing them for what they are! Even spending a king's ransom on the likes of Guedes and Nunes doesn't seem to get us very much. Pep described Nunes as 'one of the best footballers in the world', but he didn't try to sign him. Sometimes, you have to look beyond the froth!

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only surprising thing about today was that we felt the need to water the pitch.
And we need to train our stewards that they dont need to wait for a player to kick a flare at them before they can put it in a bucket. :)

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa - must feel a bit exposed.
Jonny - great in the past but absolutely rubbish now. Sell.
Collins - at least he admitted we are **** in his post-match press conference.
Kilman - has little to no athleticism. Being found out playing in a 4 when compared to a 5.
Bueno - young lad, did well at Palace but not overly impressed today. Surely we have better currently?
Moutinho - playing on past glories. Game passes him by nowadays.
Neves - a gem wasted in the ****heap that is Wolverhampton Wanderers FC.
Nunes - probably not being played in his best position but that doesn't excuse how extremely average he's looked. Not impressed.
Adama - our main outlet going forward and it shows, often doubled. No doubt feels the pressure to produce and ends up trying to do too much. Hope he gets better treatment at his next club.
Podence - waste of space. Looks like a good footballer in spells but he's **** really. Can't wait until he leaves.
Costa - about as much as you'd expect from a bloke who hasn't played for months. Nice novelty factor but well off the pace.

All in all, **** off Wolves. See you all in the Champ next season.
Bueno did OK today, he's not the problem.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No energy, no fight, no organisation and no leadership. Half the squad looks like they want out sharpish. We’re only heading one way at the moment unless something drastic changes. The pigs ear that Shi and Sellars have made out of all this is simply staggering.

Despite the complete mess we are in, we don’t seem in much of a rush to do anything about it, and if the rumours are to believed - theres no money available to buy the additional striker and cb we should have bought in the summer.

I just don’t see how we get out of this one, and god knows where it will leave us. It’s so sad and infuriating

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Teams with an identity and a competent manager usually prevail.

I feel that the Seville game was the turning point. Not because of the result or even the game but because Nuno decided we needed to play possession football. We had been doing fine as we were and our team was set up to counter attack.

And there’s no shame in that. Real won the CL doing that, Italy have won multiple World Cups with a defensive mindset.

Since that point we have been trying to transition to something we are not and only the very best have the luxury of doing because of the money they can throw at it. For me this is the reason for our woes - even the goal against Palace was a classic counter attack which we used to excel at. Now we excel at nothing.
I wouldn't have been against changing styles if it was clear what we were changing to. We seemed to have swapped a strong identity that got results on the pitch against some of the best teams in the league and now have no identity whatsoever.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Burnley , West Ham , Leicester all came here and dicked us. Dont need long memories for them either. There are plenty of other examples.This problem is not new, its just more obvious as so many of our squad are out of form and not scoring. We have one attacking threat and most teams know that. We scare no-one and havent done at home since lockdown. Even **** teams knew they could park the bus and take points of us.

Ther squad needed a freshen up. Boly , Saiss , Ruddy had all shown that they could be upgraded. We havent done that. The warning signs have been there with Raul for over a year. Again , we havent upgraded and when we tried to get a back up he did his ACL hence why we have Costa. Nunes really does not look happy. I would not be surprised if he shipped off in January back on loan to sporting. Neves has his eye on a move now. His head has been turned and who can blame him. Traore is clinging to the hope of a decent move but will probably have to settle for Valencia or similar for about 8m in January. We have made an absolute Horlicks of squad replacement for 4 years and, although unintentional, we have been really unlucky with our recruitment this summer which initially looked ok ,

We have no style and rely far too much on Neves who should be at least 20 m further forward in his starting position and Nunes should be the same distance further back. Kilman is missing Coady and Neves and Sa take responsibility as they need to take command. One as GK and one as Captain. It may not be Neves style to be as vocal as CC but he needs to be. Collins was very vocal yesterday. He gave Joggy dogs abuse for his positioning and tracking back but he is young and still inexperienced. Coady going looks a huge error of judgement with hindsight. We just didnt recruit well for 4 years in the main and those chickens have come home to roost. Root and branch rebuild starting from the top is required.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think not being able to score saps the belief, energy and desire out of them. It must now be a hugely psychological problem after that game, 20 attempts and not a single goal, not even a disallowed one.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The deflating thing was that we were massively on top and looking absolutely fantastic for the first 8 minutes and then pressed very well trying to make it 1-1. But we couldn’t score when on top and we couldn’t maintain the standards, as soon as the game slowed it was all over bar the shouting.

Reminds me of the Mick PL days where we didn’t have many goals in us with Doyle up front.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The deflating thing was that we were massively on top and looking absolutely fantastic for the first 8 minutes and then pressed very well trying to make it 1-1. But we couldn’t score when on top and we couldn’t maintain the standards, as soon as the game slowed it was all over bar the shouting.

Reminds me of the Mick PL days where we didn’t have many goals in us with Doyle up front.
We really did start the game well, even after Tielemans' goal we kept going. The second goal visibly knocked the stuffing out of us. Second half started similarly and if we sneak a goal from some of that early pressure then we're back in the game, but Leicester saw out that ten minute spell and we went back to a side that has zero confidence

Obviously you can't ignore the scoreline but the game wasn't a 4-0 and certain things aren't going for us, as they tend not to when you're down the bottom. Their first yesterday was quite possibly Tielemans' best ever goal for them (should never have happened, low level pub football from Jonny that gave them the free kick), and on Tuesday night we were a couple of inches from going 2-0 up, then a minute of football later and it was 1-1

I still think we have more than enough to get out of trouble, but they need someone to galvanise them. The stupid optimist in me says a 4-0 defeat could be the kick up the **** they need without needing someone to explain it to them so we'll see what the reaction is like next week. Problem is Brentford also lost by four, and I would imagine that Frank will get a reaction out of them, especially with them at home

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We really did start the game well, even after Tielemans' goal we kept going. The second goal visibly knocked the stuffing out of us. Second half started similarly and if we sneak a goal from some of that early pressure then we're back in the game, but Leicester saw out that ten minute spell and we went back to a side that has zero confidence

Obviously you can't ignore the scoreline but the game wasn't a 4-0 and certain things aren't going for us, as they tend not to when you're down the bottom. Their first yesterday was quite possibly Tielemans' best ever goal for them (should never have happened, low level pub football from Jonny that gave them the free kick), and on Tuesday night we were a couple of inches from going 2-0 up, then a minute of football later and it was 1-1

I still think we have more than enough to get out of trouble, but they need someone to galvanise them. The stupid optimist in me says a 4-0 defeat could be the kick up the **** they need without needing someone to explain it to them so we'll see what the reaction is like next week. Problem is Brentford also lost by four, and I would imagine that Frank will get a reaction out of them, especially with them at home
Agree with all of this. I think it’s a worrying sign for us that Leicester were able to win that game at such a canter. Literally all they did was defend and then break… four times - like a boxer with a great punch happily losing rounds knowing there’s an opening on its way to end the fight.

Brentford is not a good game for us but I suppose it’s a game where we can fight. We can’t play on the front foot and not concede so let’s get back to counter attacking and sneaking wins.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clearly we don’t play the game in XG but we actually had an XG of 2 to Leicester’s 1. Not saying this was a 0-6 vs Southampton but some elements of that. Lacking confidence and conceding goals. Oddly feeling brighter today!

DE642625-B150-4A85-8C5D-0796395E0BC8.png

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't watch the match, so thx for the summary. This pretty-much sums up a number of matches I've seen this season, so maybe keep it for future matches too, unless something drastic changes. Of course you won't be able to use it next season as most will be gone. Rats and sinking ship!
As a general point, we as fans seem to rate our players over and above what their true value is. Would we worry about the likes of Podence and Moutinho if they were at an opposition club! Did we really rate Collins at Burnley! If Villa had signed Costa with all the subsequent fanfare, we'd be laughing at them etc.... Because it's Wolves, it's OK. Well no, we have very average players that Nuno moulded into a team and without that team-spirit, we are seeing them for what they are! Even spending a king's ransom on the likes of Guedes and Nunes doesn't seem to get us very much. Pep described Nunes as 'one of the best footballers in the world', but he didn't try to sign him. Sometimes, you have to look beyond the froth!

I think there's a lot of truth in that. Pep, Klopp etc are really good at the mind games. The worst thing is that the core of that team Nuno built has gone, too. And none of the replacements are better, not one of them. But because they cost more and came with a load of hype, we tend to assume they are world talents and when it goes wrong, it can't possibly be the players not good enough, can it?

In this league, all it takes is a player to have 4 or 5 good matches and the "Liverpool/City interested in ...." headlines appear. Happened with RaN, though has stopped since he has been mostly awful this season. Thing is, it happens to every other club, too. You're right, it's "froth", yet I think it leads us to believe we have some unique talents. Which means we have to straw clutch and look for increasingly absurd reasons as to why our alleged superstars keep being outplayed by players we never heard of.

So often, for all of our players, people say they "have something". That you can clearly see they are a super talented player, somehow let down by whatever. Yet the same player delivers close to nothing. Or absolutely nothing. The Emporers New Clothes has been popular for centuries because it's a real aspect of being human!

The only player in yesterdays team who would get in the 2019 team is Neves. Sa, maybe. Kilman if Saiss and Boly were both injured. Says it all.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with all of this. I think it’s a worrying sign for us that Leicester were able to win that game at such a canter. Literally all they did was defend and then break… four times - like a boxer with a great punch happily losing rounds knowing there’s an opening on its way to end the fight.

Brentford is not a good game for us but I suppose it’s a game where we can fight. We can’t play on the front foot and not concede so let’s get back to counter attacking and sneaking wins.
Leicester must have sensed the fear and trepidation in our boys and as the game progressed their confidence grew and ours diminished.
And then the unrest in the crowd (understandably so) would also have played into their hand.

Yes, they had the perect start with an absolute worldie (the kind of goal that Ruben would score when things are going for you), but it was the second goal that completely knocked the stuffing out of us. But even then I thoght there was still a chance and remember saying to the guy next to me that the next goal would be significant and sure enough it was, but unfortunately in the wrong end.

Some of their challenges went unpunished for so long whereas the referee was quick to get his yellow card when we committed a foul early in the first half. Not that it would have made any difference as we were second best for most of the game.

So its Brentford next. From my experience, a team on the ropes generally plays better away from home so let's hope it happens next Saturday.

Reactions: Ned

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think that’s a fair assessment. It doesn’t really make it clear just how poor we looked in the spells after their second, and third, though. I mean we looked utterly lacking in fight, organisation or anything which might inspire a fight back. That’s why the crowd turned silent and nasty at times, and if this continues, it’s going to get very uncomfortable for everyone at the club. To get that fight back, we need another game like the one against Villa last season, but having sat there watching them yesterday, I cannot see how that’s going to happen without a radical change in leadership. I’m not really a fan of managers returning, but perhaps it is Nuno we need now. He would lift the crowd, and he would I think foster a team spirit again, if he’s up for the battle himself.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd definitely say that this game also proves that XG is definitely not a definitive way of judging whether or not a team deserved something from a game.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another thing that really annoyed me yesterday was when Collins was trying to get the players together after we had conceded the 2nd goal I think and they just turned around and sauntered back to position for kick off without response. Just shows the complete lack of leadership and real desire.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
21 attempts !! 21 !!
If we were 4 up (as was mentioned on the comms thread) before they scored, we would have alot less of the same subject threads being started.

21 ! Belies belief

Back
Top Bottom