Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Late Goals

Sutton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since we released Boly, Sais and Cody we seem to be suckers for losing to late goals. Two recent examples are Coventry and Manure. I am sure there are more. Why can’t we see a game out anymore. Although we’ve lost our main strike force to injury we still seem to find goals. We have issues with the defence big time. We lost to Ipswich another lower league side after being 2 nil up.
Anyone any answers ?

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve won a few late on too. Think we now generally try and play on the front foot ,and a higher energy tempo game. It means we’ve created and scored more, but also got caught out at times and conceded more too. Maybe some have been late on as we tire. I think games where we’ve been ahead by mid second half we’ve made defensive changes and been better seeing games out, where we’ve had to chase and work hard to get back into games (which we’ve been good at) we’ve made attacking subs to do that and then have continued in the more open attacking style and sometimes got caught with late goals. Yesterday and Man U being examples. The pattern of the game last week wasn’t that different but Fulham didn’t score any of their early chances

Last edited:

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
we’ve scored plenty of late goals too
It’s the way we play now compared with under Nuno we don’t play safety first.
Having said that with Dawson on the pitch we probably see out that game better
I think with Dawson we see the game out full stop.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The increased amount of added time means that it's inevitable that more goals will be scored after the 85th minute than previously, which has also worked in our favour (home to Spurs).

I do think we are guilty of losing focus at the end of games though. It's not just the losses like Utd and yesterday, but even away at Chelsea we needlessly let them get a tiny foothold back in the game by not bothering to pick up players at a corner and last week we're letting a ball fly into the six-yard box in the last minute rather than cutting out the cross.

It's probably always going to happen with the defensive personnel we have though. Kilman just simply can't read the situation around him well enough, is too often just ball-watching and marking space - and in doing so playing people onside - and not spotting the opposition players steaming in behind his back.

Then you have Semedo, who if he can't engage directly with the player on the touchline, consistently lets crosses come in, though I admit he has little support ahead of him as neither Neto (when fit) and Sarabia do anything to help in our defensive third..

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we were over confident yesterday.

Scored our second goal in the 88th minute against a Championship side and thought that was it until the final whistle. Our game management after that goal was absolute *****. RAN had a shot when he should have took the ball to the corner flag, Super Mario tried a fancy flick, gave it to a Coventry player and they scored. We also conceded from a throw in. For their winning goal, Wright was given miles too much room and just like Mainoo for Manure, scored from exactly the same place in the last seconds of the match. That was all in the last 10 minutes!

We were over confident after holding out against Brighton for over 80 minutes in the previous round and thought we could do it for 10 minutes against a team 18 places below us.

This was the FA Cup. A one off match with the winners going to Wembley. We stupidly thought we had done the hard work and Coventry would be shattered after we scored so late and they had played so well.

A massive learning curve for us and GON imo.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think GON was spot on with what he said yesterday
We pushed players up front and we reaped the consequences in defence
I mean at one point late on we had Doc,RAN and Bueno as a front 3 with Lemina wide left,its no wonder we get caught out
That said we have enough experienced players to manage games and we just failed to do that

DJLWolf

Reaction score
I think with Dawson we see the game out full stop.
Said that on the way out.

We desperately missed his leadership and organising ability at the back all day yesterday.

Having thought about it a bit this morning, we were really unlucky yesterday, not in terms of the result/performance, but the players missing through injury.

If any one player out of Dawson, Neto, Hwang or Cunha was fit, we win that for me.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Since we released Boly, Sais and Cody we seem to be suckers for losing to late goals. Two recent examples are Coventry and Manure. I am sure there are more. Why can’t we see a game out anymore. Although we’ve lost our main strike force to injury we still seem to find goals. We have issues with the defence big time. We lost to Ipswich another lower league side after being 2 nil up.
Anyone any answers ?
Sais boly and coady played in the semi final against Watford

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean at one point late on we had Doc,RAN and Bueno as a front 3 with Lemina wide left,its no wonder we get caught out
That said we have enough experienced players to manage games and we just failed to do that
Think if we were going to win yesterday we needed to win ugly and grind out a result. Think the comms yesterday said Cov were the highest scorers in the cup this season and have in form forwards who have recently scored hat tricks, conversely all our first choice forwards are out and I don’t think Fraser is 100%(hip issue). Dawson also a big loss and I suspect one or two others might also be carrying knocks. Think the game was too open and we allowed Coventry to play to their strengths too much. Having gone behind we had to gamble a bit as we had little cutting edge up front till We moved Ait Nouri farther forward, we did well to get back in the game, but during that time the Cov chances didn’t stop either, and fair play to them after going behind they just kept going.
With all the injuries I’m not sure we had too many options to change things. If we’d been stronger defensively and stopped their goals we may then not have scored ourselves

Bradstonian

Reaction score
The absence of Dawson, Cunha, Hwang and Neto surely didn't help things. In fact I believe with those 4 fully fit and playing, we would have won the game comfortably.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find it worse when it's a night match and we concede late. It really plays on my mind when trying to sleep. Yesterday wasn't so bad with it being early.

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

We desperately missed his leadership and organising ability at the back all day yesterday.

Having thought about it a bit this morning, we were really unlucky yesterday, not in terms of the result/performance, but the players missing through injury.

If any one player out of Dawson, Neto, Hwang or Cunha was fit, we win that for me.
Said the same

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The absence of Dawson, Cunha, Hwang and Neto surely didn't help things. In fact I believe with those 4 fully fit and playing, we would have won the game comfortably.
I doubt we would’ve won comfortably, it’s not what Wolves do. Didn’t we have these 4 against Ipswich! Can’t remember.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone any answers ?
We don't have an issue with the defence. As I said on the 'over reaction' thread apart from the Big 6 and Everton we have the best defence in the Prem. You cite 2 examples of letting in late goals, yesterday and Utd, hardly an epidemic of late goals?! I expect if you look at all Club's records all will have a few games where they have conceded goals in the last 5 or so minutes. Overreaction.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I said in the over reaction thread the reason we lost yesterday was injuries. It's as simple as that. Had Cunha, Hwang and Neto been playing as well as Dawson at the back we would have won that comfortably.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I doubt we would’ve won comfortably, it’s not what Wolves do. Didn’t we have these 4 against Ipswich! Can’t remember.
Didn’t have Dawson or Neto, cunha was on the bench. Hwang started along with sasa

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We would have won it with just dawson and cunha…… or in fact Dawson and just one of the front line options…

It does show how bad the balance of the squad is at the CB position as if we had lost any of Gomes, bueno or kilman, we wouldn’t have had a single senior professional who is a cb…. And that is only having ONE player injured in Dawson.

Jeff needs to hang his head in shame for how shallow our squad is up front and at the back…..

Only two of the major areas in scoring and stopping goals we are painfully short in….. what could possibly go wrong not having enough options to rest and rotate eh??

Bradstonian

Reaction score
Imagine not having had Dawson, Cunha and Neto in the game against Wet Bum. Would probably only been a 1-0 win.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness, Coventry couldn't have had a better time to have played us and they knew it.
Had we had been at full strength, that game would have been over by half time.

It is what it is, disappointing most definitely but time to move on and bury yesterday's catastrophe with the Watford debacle.
I wonder what the odds are in seeing a fully fit first XI between now and the end of the season.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness, Coventry couldn't have had a better time to have played us and they knew it.
Had we had been at full strength, that game would have been over by half time.

It is what it is, disappointing most definitely but time to move on and bury yesterday's catastrophe with the Watford debacle.
I wonder what the odds are in seeing a fully fit first XI between now and the end of the season.

I would say the odds are zero because of the rumour that Neto is out for the season……

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don't have an issue with the defence. As I said on the 'over reaction' thread apart from the Big 6 and Everton we have the best defence in the Prem.
Brighton and Fulham, like us, have conceded 44, Fulham in the same number of games and Brighton one more game - so a better defensive record. You could say we have an average-ish (if that's a word) defence.

However, conceding 3 against a Championship side not even in the playoffs, and with our keeper MotM in many eyes, on that evidence I'd have to disagree with your assertion that we don't have an issue with the defence.

OK, we are playing in a more attacking fashion under GON so you can argue we're going to concede more, but we have our best defender IMV well into his thirties, and his Uruguayan backup (again IMV) far from proven at PL level, there's arguably work to be done for next season in this area.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We lack someone like Mouts who would keep a level head, communicate and see the game out?

Also yesterday an experienced forward who can hold the ball up, win a foul, a corner, anything to slow the game down and stop them getting a head of steam.

molineux man

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Surely there has to be an instruction at 2-1 for everyone to get back?

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
That’s fine up to 90mins. Makes no sense after that.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely there has to be an instruction at 2-1 for everyone to get back?
as we scored second on about 87 mins then board went up for 9 mins extra, you'd hope that there was a plan in place for that scenario ( a goal up with just added time remaining) and players would know without being told that they need to move to a defensive set up and manage the game for the last 9/10 mins, and take responsibility themselves to set themselves up to do that

Yes we'd made some subs and moved to a more attacking setup to get the 2 goals, but once done with that short time remaining you then need to change again (not personnel but roles and setup with those on the pitch), we didn't do it well enough

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slightly OT. Just turned the tv on and caught the 1st half ET in the Utd/Liverpool game. First footie I've seen since yesterday. Liverpool score 2 in 3 mins, same pretty much as Cov; so that's 4 goals in 6 minutes?!

Back
Top Bottom