Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Laptop & dual monitor screen setup issue

W

WasStefan

Had this setup working fine a few weeks back but now when i plug 1 monitor into HDMI and 1 monitor into USB-C on my laptop only the monitor with HDMI connection displays my desktop. (I dont use the laptop screen in this setup, lid remains closed)

Under display settings the 2 minors are detected (as well as the unused laptop display) but it wont let me duplicate/ extend display to the monitor that is connected by USB-C. Under advanced display settings it says the monitor 'isn't active'

Have tried to uninstall display driver/ reinstall/ use an old driver on the laptop but it hasn't worked.

The monitor definitely works as it plugs into thunderbolt using my MacBook and also works with PS4 etc. The USB-C lead also definitely works.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?!

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had this setup working fine a few weeks back but now when i plug 1 monitor into HDMI and 1 monitor into USB-C on my laptop only the monitor with HDMI connection displays my desktop. (I dont use the laptop screen in this setup, lid remains closed)

Under display settings the 2 minors are detected (as well as the unused laptop display) but it wont let me duplicate/ extend display to the monitor that is connected by USB-C. Under advanced display settings it says the monitor 'isn't active'

Have tried to uninstall display driver/ reinstall/ use an old driver on the laptop but it hasn't worked.

The monitor definitely works as it plugs into thunderbolt using my MacBook and also works with PS4 etc. The USB-C lead also definitely works.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?!

Could the USB-C laptop socket be faulty?

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Currently exploring that possibility. That's the only logical explanation surely. Not sure how to troubleshoot it mind!!!

Wiggle it about:eek:

Did you test the USB-C to power ? could be a power thing if a cheap cable. I had trouble a few years back, bought a USB-C cable and packed up after a few weeks, bought a cable specifically for video and bingo.

The cable needs to supports MHL Alternate modes.

Lots of stuff about cables about, here's one..

https://www.howtogeek.com/353410/3-problems-with-usb-c-you-need-to-know/

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm stumped. Any ideas?!
You sound like you and Derby know way more than I, but have you unplugged the HDMI to test if their is a conflict somewhere? Is it defaulting to the HDMI?
Please forgive me if you’ve already done this. Good luck.

W

WasStefan

Wiggle it about:eek:

Did you test the USB-C to power ? could be a power thing if a cheap cable. I had trouble a few years back, bought a USB-C cable and packed up after a few weeks, bought a cable specifically for video and bingo.

The cable needs to supports MHL Alternate modes.

Lots of stuff about cables about, here's one..

https://www.howtogeek.com/353410/3-problems-with-usb-c-you-need-to-know/
I use a quite expensive HDMI to USB-C lead. As i say it worked fine for months then packed up a few weeks ago. Was convinced it was a faulty lead so managed to get the manufacturer to send a replacement. And still the problem persists (i also use the same brand for a HDMI to Thunderbolt 2 lead for my Macbook and it works flawlessly).

I'm beginning to think it has to be a faulty port on the laptop, which happens to be a works laptop so will try to get them to replace it.

You sound like you and Derby know way more than I, but have you unplugged the HDMI to test if their is a conflict somewhere? Is it defaulting to the HDMI?
Please forgive me if you’ve already done this. Good luck.
I've done that. Doesn't have it. Incredibly annoying!!!

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I use a quite expensive HDMI to USB-C lead. As i say it worked fine for months then packed up a few weeks ago. Was convinced it was a faulty lead so managed to get the manufacturer to send a replacement. And still the problem persists (i also use the same brand for a HDMI to Thunderbolt 2 lead for my Macbook and it works flawlessly).

I'm beginning to think it has to be a faulty port on the laptop, which happens to be a works laptop so will try to get them to replace it.

I've done that. Doesn't have it. Incredibly annoying!!!

What laptop is it please?

Have you tried uninstalling the USB controllers?

Have I got this correct, hdmi from laptop to usb c on monitor, and usb c on laptop to usb c on monitor.

I don't know if this is possible but if you open the laptop is and disconnect the laptop connection cable from the port can the usb cable be plugged into the cable connector therefore by-passing the port.

W

WasStefan

What laptop is it please?

Have you tried uninstalling the USB controllers?

Have I got this correct, hdmi from laptop to usb c on monitor, and usb c on laptop to usb c on monitor.

I don't know if this is possible but if you open the laptop is and disconnect the laptop connection cable from the port can the usb cable be plugged into the cable connector therefore by-passing the port.
Lenovo T470

Yes tried uninstalling drivers. Monitors are both the same model. Only have HDMI.

Laptop has 1 USB-C and 1 HDMI port.

HDMI to HDMI for the one monitor
HDMI to USB-C for the other monitor

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lenovo T470

Yes tried uninstalling drivers. Monitors are both the same model. Only have HDMI.

Laptop has 1 USB-C and 1 HDMI port.

HDMI to HDMI for the one monitor
HDMI to USB-C for the other monitor

Can you charge your phone from the usb-c port ?

Have you tried using a usb-3 port?

When you look in device manager, are the usb controller recognised.

I just use this an example, as I don't touch MS anymore so much is from memory and problems I had, are all your usb controllers ok? also check PCI brfidge

asm1.16.18.1_x2detail.png

IIRC drivers are not the same as controllers

W

WasStefan

Can you charge your phone from the usb-c port ?

Have you tried using a usb-3 port?

When you look in device manager, are the usb controller recognised.

I just use this an example, as I don't touch MS anymore so much is from memory and problems I had, are all your usb controllers ok? also check PCI brfidge

asm1.16.18.1_x2detail.png

IIRC drivers are not the same as controllers
Juts had a look mate all are up to date/ working according to Device Manager. Graphics card is also up to date. Have tried to rollback the driver version to see if that was the culprit but it still persisted.

Just tried USB-C with a colleagues HDMI to USB-C adaptor. Issue still persists. So i'm 99.9% sure it's the USB-C port on the laptop itself.

Engineer is coming to take a look a next week, hopefully get it fixed if not will have laptop replaced.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Juts had a look mate all are up to date/ working according to Device Manager. Graphics card is also up to date. Have tried to rollback the driver version to see if that was the culprit but it still persisted.

Just tried USB-C with a colleagues HDMI to USB-C adaptor. Issue still persists. So i'm 99.9% sure it's the USB-C port on the laptop itself.

Engineer is coming to take a look a next week, hopefully get it fixed if not will have laptop replaced.

I've run out of ideas, at least it's a works pc so won't cost you.

Did you try charging `a phone from the usb-c? although charging uses different pins iirc so wouldn't be definitive.

Keep us posted on the result please, you can bet someone else will get a similar problem.

good luck..

Back
Top Bottom