Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lamberts at it again

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I already feel like next season will be a write off after reading that.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dont see much wrong with what he said. Probably similar stuff as to what Hughton told his board at Brighton a few years ago. Some really seem desperate to see this guy fail. Lets see where we are in December.

Yep it's only another season that's going to written off when Lamberts sacked by Christmas.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An approach that has worked for the bulk of the sides near the top of the Championship... proven Championship players. As long as it's quality we're bringing in, and I'm talking on the level of what Newcastle, Villa or Brighton have done, then I don't see a problem. It's not like he's dismissed foreign signings has he? If we get 4-5 from this league or the PL, and 1-2 from Mendes, I'd be happy.

fly-wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
It's another sad day under Lambert,no Ambition.
Just think he has the means to make some exciting Transfers.
We need to be wowed and not bored

W

WolfOfWellington

Meh, just meh.

This news can be good if we retain Costa and Cav.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quality not nationality please . That works both ways.

I am sure PL is being watched closely by the real powers that run Wolves.

Especially as Shi has stated how important Mendes.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Edwards, Coady and Batth, what a list to prove your point.....

Just **** him off and Thelwell too, may as well have Shi picking the side for the last two games.

Mid table mediocrity at best with these two clowns.

I hope given Shi seems to be on a different page to those two, suggesting the other week we'll use Mendes again, they are involved at a different club next season.

Reading that has really ruined my day, what a ****ing ****er.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I agree with the principle that you do need a core of players with experience of English football but the thing that worries me most is the names that he is providing as examples of that type of player.

If Coady, Doherty, Batth, Stearman, Williamson, Dicko, Edwards, Weimann and Marshall are first team regulars again next year, I don't see us remotely challenging.

wwbug has it spot on above. Quality, not nationality.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing new in that interview. If we can purchase 3 or 4 top Championship players plus a couple of more speculative/risky foreign buys (and there is always a risk, even the cream of world players can find the English league's don't suit), we should be a real force next season, especially if we also retain Costa and Cav.
Of course getting those players is not so simple as 12 other clubs similar to us will also be chasing them.

O

Oldwolfmon

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...-fc/2017/04/28/wolves-looking-to-buy-british/

No mention of being technical,having a bit of skill or flair as long as your robust and can run around a lot. He's putting things into motion with Kev so it looks like the dossiers of dross will be dusted off I wonder if we'll be able to handle the excitement.
Long time since I put anything on here but what has he said wrong ?? I can't disagree with any of his comments.
I'm not his biggest fan but in our current plight if we ditch him we'll only get another manager with similar credentials,our biggest problem this summer won't be who we can attract and sign,it'll be who we can ship out and who'll take them.A degree of stability is vital for us and yes I agree we need 6/7 fresh faces but to get yet another manager,who'll start the whole crazy circus again ?? Not for me (yet) my head and heart can't take another season of chopping and changing !

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What did you all expect?
A night and day transformation?
An epic production of Ben Hur proportions?
That's what he is. Take it or leave it. Or bear it with a grin and hope for the best.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm already ****ed off in lieu of August ...can I cancel my direct debit ?

Goodbye Horse

Reaction score
Oh dear, I feel that this will not end well! It is obvious the direction that Lambert and Thelwell are taking this club and for me this has put a huge damper on the upcoming season.
We will see the end of Costa, Cav and Saiss to be replaced by hard working British Championship players, dull tactics and a season of ground out results!
I was hoping for more than this when Fosun took over.

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with the principle that you do need a core of players with experience of English football but the thing that worries me most is the names that he is providing as examples of that type of player.

If Coady, Doherty, Batth, Stearman, Williamson, Dicko, Edwards, Weimann and Marshall are first team regulars again next year, I don't see us remotely challenging.

wwbug has it spot on above. Quality, not nationality.

This.

There is sense in what he says regarding a core of British players but they need quality not just engines.

It's the list of 'shining' examples that concerns me - Edwards, Coady, Batth, Doherty, Dicko. If that's our core to build around then god help us.

Kevin involved too

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This.

There is sense in what he says regarding a core of British players but they need quality not just engines.

It's the list of 'shining' examples that concerns me - Edwards, Coady, Batth, Doherty, Dicko. If that's our core to build around then god help us.

Kevin involved too

Those are the types he will unfortunately be going for. It's obvious by the fact that he won't drop Dave that he prefers graft over craft. For me it's shows that Lambert is narrow minded and limited in his out look I also can't believe that Fosun think Thelwell is the man to lead this club are they not getting any proper football advice?

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if you read the article it doesn't say he's only looking at British players. He says he's looking in the domestic league but also looking at players from abroad, pre requisite is that they must be up to the demands of the demands of playing Saturday/Tues etc. i.e. 46 games a season. Wants those to be the core of the squad, so could still be a mix of players with experience of British game (both British and foreign payers already playing here) + a few flair players from abroad. Hopefully it will be players more in the Marshall/Wiemann mould rather than Edwards, Coady Batth type.If it turns out to be all mediocre championship level players then its not good enough but lets see which way we actually go

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is clear is how short Fosun are coming up at the moment.

How can you go from being on the verge of appointing someone like Loptegui ( and all that approach would bring) to this prehistoric rubbish?

It just shows the level of mediocrity that permeates through the club and has now dragged Fosun down to that level that they think the best manager they can get is Paul bloody Lambert!

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think to a degree what he is saying makes some sense. He doesn't totally dismiss foreign signings and refers to having a core of players who will play regularly and can be relied on to perform consistently. Ok fair enough.

I guess the real question centres on quality. If we are focusing exclusively on the domestic market, how much we are willing to pay for good proven players at this level, as they don't often come cheap and we are likely to have to compete? Villa, Newcastle prices? Are we going to compete with the relegated sides. I certainly doubt that. A couple of million here and there ain't doing much IMO.

It will be interesting to see who we go in for if this is the blueprint. For example, how would people feel if we hypothetically signed say John Ruddy, one of Grant Hanley/JamesTarkowski, one of Adam Forshaw/Grant Leadbitter and Chris Martin (presuming we keep Costa, Cav and Weimann)? All would seem to be fairly realistic targets in the areas we are probably looking at? We'd improve I think, but I certainly wouldn't be racing out to back us for promotion. Would people feel underwhelmed? Optimistic?

Perhaps the worst thing for me about reading that is the praise he gives to several of our players who 'know the league' and have played for him regularly. Batth, Coady, Edwards, Doherty and Dicko. All players nowhere near good enough and have had pretty poor-average seasons. If they're playing regularly again next term I'd say forget top 6 right off the bat.

It doesn't exactly fill you with excitement does it? Seriously FOSUN are Lambert and Thelwell the best we can do? We nearly appointed the current Spain boss last season.

I can seriously see them ending up weilding the axe in Nov/Dec after an indifferent start and us writing off another season. I completely hope I'm wrong but I have a bad feeling.

Last edited:

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if you read the article it doesn't say he's only looking at British players. He says he's looking in the domestic league but also looking at players from abroad, pre requisite is that they must be up to the demands of the demands of playing Saturday/Tues etc. i.e. 46 games a season. Wants those to be the core of the squad, so could still be a mix of players with experience of British game (both British and foreign payers already playing here) + a few flair players from abroad. If it turns out to be all mediocre championship level players then its not good enough but lets see which way we actually go

Even when mentioning the foreign market he comes out with *******s about them being robust well I wouldn't describe Costa and Cav as being robust but they are our two best players without whom Lambert would be back on the dole!

Monswolf

Reaction score
I fear we about to do the same thing with player recruits that we did with our manager appointment. Why would we limit ourselves to such a small pond of players when we literally can recruit from anywhere. I fully get and appreciate that foreign players normally need a little bit of time to adjust to the English game but and its a big but I would rather have quality and skill levels as a higher requirement than the ability to adapt to a different country. One thing PL is forgetting when he say he had to adapt when playing in Germany is that at that time it was not really the norm for semi good players to move countries now a days it's much more common for footballers from around the world to play in different countries and cultures to their own and by limiting ourselves to one particular market then we are severely limiting the type of players that we can buy.which is stupid and because of the premium prices that are being asked for British/English players is way too expensive

StLuke

Groupie
Reaction score
Of course he's going to praise those already here!! I cannot see anything wrong with what he has said. English players don't necessarily equal mediocrity and predictability. By the same token, I don't think Brighton and Newcastle won promotion by playing Barcelona-esque football this year. Lambert may not be the Messiah but give the guy a chance. I know one thing, we would be in a much much worse place retaining Walter for this season....

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Perhaps the worst thing for me about reading that is the praise he gives to our players who 'know the league' and have played for him regularly. Batth, Coady, Edwards, Doherty and Dicko. All players nowhere near good enough.

That's the most worrying bit. Edwards will be king of the world again! Well that's rubbish...least it's nearly the weekend

Goodbye Horse

Reaction score
QB, Brightside, sc91, merseawolf,Skrilla, stratman wolf,walsall wolf and the rest of you, can you not see what is happening here with your manager?
He holds up Edwards, Batth, Cody and Doherty as the type of players he wants to build is team with, the reason they can play for 30+ games a season, the fact that they are ****e in 20 of them seems to escape him.
He wouldn't be in a job if not for the players he wants to discard!!!!

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think of everything that is bad about wolves, players like Coady, Batth and Edwards.. And then he directly quotes them as being an advantage :-/.. For all those above that are defending him.
Have you seen us lately? We are an awful team, when the manager hints towards "more of the same" it leaves me very worried.
I can only hope Shi sees this too.. Or maybe Mendes has a word in his ear and we replace Lambert as soon as possible.

Berkswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
The saddest part of that whole article is this:

"Dave Edwards, Conor Coady, Danny Batth, they’re all used to it and they’ve played a lot of games.

"Mike Williamson and Richard Stearman have come in, they know the league, they’re experienced, Nouha Dicko knows it, Doc (Matt Doherty) has done it, is robust and hardly missed a game, you get more of them to help because we need it."

Do the maths Lambert you numpty, we have finished nearer relegation than promotion and these "robust" players have been at the core of it - for Christ's sake do you have a brain man?

"I know I’ve got the nucleus of a good side." NO YOU ****ING HAVEN'T YOU CLOWN YOU'VE GOT 3 OR 4 GOOD PLAYERS AT MOST!!!!

My heart just sank - I'm emailing this to Jeff Shi and asking him to sack him now and not to wait until November

M

MattyWWFC

The article was him justifying why he wants British players. Nowhere in that article does it say 'as long as they work hard that's fine'. He's simply saying that he'll buy British because they're already able to cope with the work load, and therefore won't need time to adjust their fitness levels to the league.
Secondly, Lambert is our head coach, Shi has already hinted that he'll be staying, so why in gods name are people still ridiculing the man when they have no say in whether he stays or goes. As the mans bere to stay, you may as well at least try and get behind him instead of reading too much into the things he says.

Back
Top Bottom