Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lage OUT

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you've got noone up front who can head the ball like us then a low hard cross is the % ball to play isn't it.

How did Benfica score their 100+ goals? Does anyone have a rough stat on headers, long shots, wingers cutting in etc? How likely is it that a team can score those similar goals in the Prem? Just don't get how you can fall off a cliff like Bruno has in terms of goals!?
I still put it down to the Brentford defeat. I think we still tried to play the same way up until then and the way we got ****housed out of it, by a newly promoted team that were one of the favourites to go down, opened his eyes to the fact that sides aren't going to roll over for you in the PL the way they might when you roll into town with Benfica in the Portuguese League, and it scared the life out of him. Since then we've been all about plugging gaps rather than opening them up. And if we take the only reference we have, he got worse over time at Benfica and fell out with players, then you look at what's happening here

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be truly shocked if Lage is not capable of coaching attacking combinations from wing play. In fact any half decent coach who has qualified at Level 2 and above really should be capable of doing so.

The root issue(s) in my very humble opinion is that Wolves simply do not attack the available space with quality timed runs into the box in numbers. Connected to this is that when they do get those numbers into the opposition box, the overload has invariably been lost because we have either one, slowed the play down or checked back or two, made the wrong decision in delivery or made a poor delivery (technical ability).

Take a look at Man City's first goal in 2nd phase. De Bruyne given an eternity to make his decision to cross the ball low (because Guedes gave up and did not track him), then City bust a gut to get a 3 v 2 overload in the box. They know where the ball is going to arrive. Even if Greaser had let it run it would have likely been finished by Silva.

It is equally an illustration of **** defending as well as good attacking play.
1663766031719.png

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
that twitter guy is wrong.

We can't create changes (4th lowest xG) in the league, and when we do create chances we don't finish them either (2nd worst G to xG deficit in the league)
Oh i agree, in regard to chances for the team,

This backs that up

Im just focusing on podence.

Look at these other stats just to show the difficulties some of our players are actually having - neto being out of form

Neves leading the way as captain

https://twitter.com/Other14The/status/1572219188181073920?s=20&t=-j5i1s-5DFjmcE33tVbuZA

Last edited:

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be truly shocked if Lage is not capable of coaching attacking combinations from wing play. In fact any half decent coach who has qualified at Level 2 and above really should be capable of doing so.

The root issue(s) in my very humble opinion is that Wolves simply do not attack the available space with quality timed runs into the box in numbers. Connected to this is that when they do get those numbers into the opposition box, the overload has invariably been lost because we have either one, slowed the play down or checked back or two, made the wrong decision in delivery or made a poor delivery (technical ability).

Take a look at Man City's first goal in 2nd phase. De Bruyne given an eternity to make his decision to cross the ball low (because Guedes gave up and did not track him), then City bust a gut to get a 3 v 2 overload in the box. They know where the ball is going to arrive. Even if Greaser had let it run it would have likely been finished by Silva.

It is equally an illustration of **** defending as well as good attacking play.
View attachment 30374
The speed of the attack for me is the biggy. They know our defence is out of shape so they are going to attack specific areas. If that was us 5 of them would be attacking the space on the edge of the box, which is well-martialed.
Note the full back getting into moutinho's pocket of space, foden has two option's an underlapping run and De bruyne overlapping.
It looks like Man City have done there homework, targeted certain spaces to overload in and it has worked. There third goal is very similar.
We don't seem to do this to anybody. We seem to be constantly looking for the same spaces on the edge of the area. Between the lines, even when the lines are packed out. Its slow and predictable, the exact opposite of man city.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Forest, Leciester have to be must win - thats 6 points as a minimum id want at least 3/4 from the other 4.

10 has to be minimum to put as at 16 points, before tough games against brighton and arsenal

I would have west ham as a must win game, given they are 18th and we are devoid of confidence and morale positioning fan wise.

Thats a minimum 9, with the hopes we could get a draw out of one of brentford/palace - makes it 10 for me

3 wins 1 draw 2 losses
Agree it ought to be more I was setting 7 as the level he’d definitely be gone

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree it ought to be more I was setting 7 as the level he’d definitely be gone

I wonder if the real determination on timing is private conversations with potential replacements. It was fairly obvious from body language in Nuno’s final season that he knew the writing was on the wall. Mendes was probably working his replacement for ages before the end, and as his agent and friend, would have let Nuno know. I would be surprised if the same is not already happening now, and Lage is treading water while they secure his replacement. No reason for him to walk if so, as he will get agreed settlement if he continues until the club is ready to pull the trigger. Would have been the same with Nuno.

Don’t think we’ve signed Lage’s men by boosting the squad. More likely that we were getting knocked back by the better coaches in the summer through a lack of demonstrated intent. So strengthening the squad was a necessary step in securing a certain quality of coach.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if the real determination on timing is private conversations with potential replacements. It was fairly obvious from body language in Nuno’s final season that he knew the writing was on the wall. Mendes was probably working his replacement for ages before the end, and as his agent and friend, would have let Nuno know. I would be surprised if the same is not already happening now, and Lage is treading water while they secure his replacement. No reason for him to walk if so, as he will get agreed settlement if he continues until the club is ready to pull the trigger. Would have been the same with Nuno.

Don’t think we’ve signed Lage’s men by boosting the squad. More likely that we were getting knocked back by the better coaches in the summer through a lack of demonstrated intent. So strengthening the squad was a necessary step in securing a certain quality of coach.
Well if there is any truth to AVB being at the southampton game, that would be the case.

Again depends on if sevilla sack lopetugui in October.

JR’s Boots

Groupie
Reaction score
Speculation of course, but the only reason he's still in the post is that negotiations are ongoing with likely replacements. The stats against him are so overwhelming he's not the answer to any question. The worry is he's still here for the West Ham game and another 3 points are thrown away with his ill judged team selection, safety first tactics and lousy in game management.

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’m never one to start calling for a managers head and haven’t commented on here for a while. But I do think it’s time.

The form under Lage back end of last season into this one is atrocious. Not only that, we look awful. It’s painful to watch.

I’ve heard a few people say he is that rigid what he wants players to do in every situation that it just stops and flair and creativity. I’ve no idea if that’s true but it reflects in how we play.

Without wanting to get personal about someone, he appears as dull as dishwater. No passion. And that sure as hell shows on the team.

We have the finest squad of players (on paper) I’ve ever seen at the Mol. But we just don’t really create. Not even a good striker will change that too much if we can’t get the ball to him.

Yep. Pull the plug and accept that Lage isn’t the one.

I suspect we’re just waiting for Lopetegui to be sacked at Sevilla. But if I had a choice it’d be Poch. But for me there’s no chance of Poch coming.

Just my opinion anyways FWAW

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Wolves will have to win at W.H…….and win convincingly, for Bruno to keep his job.
I don’t think a ‘lucky’ win will be sufficient for Jeff…..I think he’d want to see a whole new change of tactics.

And Jeff, remember you get what you pay for. So if you’re replacing Bruno, tempt big talent with big money.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh i agree, in regard to chances for the team,

This backs that up

Im just focusing on podence.

Look at these other stats just to show the difficulties some of our players are actually having - neto being out of form

Neves leading the way as captain

https://twitter.com/Other14The/status/1572219188181073920?s=20&t=-j5i1s-5DFjmcE33tVbuZA

Interesting to see Jonny up there on tackles and interceptions. I've been surprised at how he's been slated on here, recently as he never looked that bad to me. Ait-Nouri nowhere to be seen, of course. Again, in contrast to everyone else, I think RAN has been mostly awful this season. A defensive liability and though pacey and skillful, mentally far too slow. So invariably slowing down and making a safe pass.

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
As has been commented above we have games coming up against teams around us in the league, West Ham, Forest, Palace, Leicester so for me the 2 questions the club have to answer are

Do we have another manager lined up?
Are we more likely to win those games with another manager in charge than with Bruno

2 Yes answers and he is sadly gone. I say sadly as the club are As much to blame as the manager.

if I was Bruno and i remained in charge I would revert to playing the attacking football he set out to achieve last year, as I would rather get sacked doing it my way and by been true to my own beliefs rather than getting the sack for playing someone else’s style

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Speculation of course, but the only reason he's still in the post is that negotiations are ongoing with likely replacements. The stats against him are so overwhelming he's not the answer to any question. The worry is he's still here for the West Ham game and another 3 points are thrown away with his ill judged team selection, safety first tactics and lousy in game management.

Also, as he will well suspect his time is limited, he will have lost the edge needed to pull out the stops and get a good result. Same in any job, been there myself. Even as a professional, however hard you try, there's a difference when you are fully into the cause and connected to it, in contrast to when you sense you and/or your role will be gone soon. Inevitable. I think the players sense it too.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In 50+ games how often have we played well and won? 2 or 3 perhaps? No better than Saunders, clipboard or Solbaken :(
Was thinking about the same thing as I browsed through our recent results.

We have won two games (cup included) this season and we didn't play well in either, bar the first half against Preston who are 15th in the Championship. In fact we have lost on xG in 6 out of our 7 league games this season (the exception being that deflated B'mouth side).

When we go back to last season we lost all our final 9 games on xG and the last time we had the better numbers was the 0-1 away win at Everton back in March.

This makes it 2 xG wins from our last 17. We have won 3 games in this period (Southampton, Aston Villa, Everton) and have picked up a draw twice (Norwich, Chelsea). So those claiming we have been unlucky and keep insisting we just lack the finishing... The stats are saying we have picked up more points than expected.

Even if you ignore current form and look at the 21/22 season as a whole, pretty much every metric puts ut in the relegation zone. The more you look at it the more obvious it becomes that Jose Sa had a freakishly good season. When we beat Leicester 2-1 at Molineux our xG was 0.47 while Leicester had 1.55. The numbers from our win at Brentford are similar with us having 0.22 to Brentford's 0.74. And when you include our games against Crystal Palace and Norwich it really gets kinda embarrassing.

I know stats never tell the whole story, but we look even worse if you go by the good old eye test.

It's just a matter of time before we'll see the back of Bruno Lage imo. It was a risky but exciting project, certainly after the first 3-4 games when we played really well, but since then we have been terrible with a few exceptions. And there has been barely any entertainment value at all and I suspect the neutrals (who often loved us in the first couple of seasons under Nuno) would rather die than watch us pass it backwards for 90 minutes.

He's had 50 games and enough is enough. Please, Fosun, get it right next time. And please look outside the Mendes manager pool as the available options there are unappealing.

lycophilos

Reaction score
Please, Fosun, get it right next time. And please look outside the Mendes manager pool as the available options there are unappealing.
Ange Postecoglou, who is doing a remarkable job at Celtic, has been mentioned by a few posters. He would be a very good choice, and would fit in with the present Wolves ethos of "family" (largely due to Nuno) much better than Poch, Rodgers, or most of the other options that have been put forward.

Unfortunately for Wolves, he is a decent person, who won't do what Brendan Rodgers did at Celtic, and walk out on them mid-season, unless there were very special circumstances.

However Postecoglou in two of his previous very successful manager/head coach appointments, Melbourne Victory and Yokohama F Marinos, was followed by Kevin Muscat, who himself was quite successful at Melbourne, and is apparently doing well at Yokohama. Muscat had also been assistant to Postecoglou at Melbourne, and was called up to be an assistant to him with the Australian national squad. It seems then that "Big Ange" thinks quite highly of Muscat. I suspect that when leaving, he would have recommended Muscat to Melbourne Victory and to Yokohama.

I did mention this in another thread, not expecting many to take the suggestion seriously. But I suggest that the club ought at least to give Kevin Muscat some consideration as a possibility.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ange Postecoglou, who is doing a remarkable job at Celtic, has been mentioned by a few posters. He would be a very good choice, and would fit in with the present Wolves ethos of "family" (largely due to Nuno) much better than Poch, Rodgers, or most of the other options that have been put forward.

Unfortunately for Wolves, he is a decent person, who won't do what Brendan Rodgers did at Celtic, and walk out on them mid-season, unless there were very special circumstances.

However Postecoglou in two of his previous very successful manager/head coach appointments, Melbourne Victory and Yokohama F Marinos, was followed by Kevin Muscat, who himself was quite successful at Melbourne, and is apparently doing well at Yokohama. Muscat had also been assistant to Postecoglou at Melbourne, and was called up to be an assistant to him with the Australian national squad. It seems then that "Big Ange" thinks quite highly of Muscat. I suspect that when leaving, he would have recommended Muscat to Melbourne Victory and to Yokohama.

I did mention this in another thread, not expecting many to take the suggestion seriously. But I suggest that the club ought at least to give Kevin Muscat some consideration as a possibility.
Thanks for the insight. I don't think Muscat would be considered, partly as he's not Portuguese or higher profile than Mendes' latest suggestion, and partly because a lot of supporters haven't forgiven him for the sending off/his form in general after agreeing to join Rangers

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Wolves will have to win at W.H…….and win convincingly, for Bruno to keep his job.
I don’t think a ‘lucky’ win will be sufficient for Jeff…..I think he’d want to see a whole new change of tactics.

And Jeff, remember you get what you pay for. So if you’re replacing Bruno, tempt big talent with big money.
AVB ticks all the boxes.

blakenhall wolf

Reaction score
No striker fit.. He's gorra gew Franksie

Fans chant for Adama... comes on looks terrible so far... He's Gorra gew Franksie.

Maybe Lage will be sacked, the hand he has been dealt has been **** either way.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He will be gone in the morning. This is so far from good enough against this West Ham team who have no confidence

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sevilla losing at home, could be a decent manager who's been a Fosun target coming on the market

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Yep. He’s done. Our form over the last 20 games is shocking.

If he was even considering ever playing a back three this season, loaning out Coady is a ridiculous decision. To then compound that by moving your best player to play there is almost a sackable offence in itself.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This must be the end. He's not capable of building a system form which we can score

Back
Top Bottom