Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

lack of a top class coach ?

D

dr cool

Never mind multi million pound bids , spend some bloody money on a top class coach , my god we need some tactical nous !

andy-in-seat-190

Reaction score
Never mind multi million pound bids , spend some bloody money on a top class coach , my god we need some tactical nous !

This - I've said it before (and say so to anyone who will listen to me). This is where, in my opinion, we are lacking.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem with McCarthy is he manages like he played - dour. combatative, straight, no flair but he had other players around him with the creativity. Now he is God here he picks those in his own image.
I cant agree that we need a top coach..........we need more than one. Not just a football coach but a performance coach, motivation coach.....yep the lot.
Our players are static, lacking in mental sharpness and really do not look anything like winners.

J

Jameswwfc

I've been saying this for ages. Mick was a no nonsense centre half, how can he tell wingers and midfielders where to run and move. He needs help but i think he's to arrogant to admit it.

M

MonkeySpanner

The problem with McCarthy is he manages like he played - dour. combatative, straight, no flair but he had other players around him with the creativity. Now he is God here he picks those in his own image.
I cant agree that we need a top coach..........we need more than one. Not just a football coach but a performance coach, motivation coach.....yep the lot.
Our players are static, lacking in mental sharpness and really do not look anything like winners.

Agree 100%.

D

Deleted member 3604

I've been saying this for ages. Mick was a no nonsense centre half, how can he tell wingers and midfielders where to run and move. He needs help but i think he's to arrogant to admit it.

It's not uncommon for a manager to employ more than one coach to work alongside him. Fergie has had Knox, Kidd, Quiroz, Mclaren, Phelan etc. Absolutely no room for sentiment but surely they can do better than Terry Connor - a dinosaur from the failure years. Where are Gray, Lee and Ward now? Wonder what Steve Harrison is up to.

M

Mr Zuki

Hoddle was one of the most creative, gifted and exciting footballers ever. His team was dull, defensive and prone to draw a majority of games.

What type of player you were really doesn't necessarily define the team you put out.

M

Mr Zuki

It's not uncommon for a manager to employ more than one coach to work alongside him. Fergie has had Knox, Kidd, Quiroz, Mclaren, Phelan etc. Absolutely no room for sentiment but surely they can do better than Terry Connor - a dinosaur from the failure years. Where are Gray, Lee and Ward now? Wonder what Steve Harrison is up to.

"a dinosaur from the failure years" - Or an important part of last year's huge success?

H

Hatch End Wolf

We won the league last year, but playing poor football for much of the time. Plenty of effort and enough individuals with quality for that division to get the results, but I wondered many times how the hell we had managed to get the necessary points.
We were the Championship bullies last season, as can be seen whenever we played the better teams.

M

MK Panther

McCarthy needs help and he needs it fast...
Terry Connor has no success as a coach in the Premier League, whatever we did last time is clearly being repeated. Mick needs help and he needs it fast...
Almost every single club has a first team coach who has either tasted success at another club or has been a manager at another club.

I think almost every manager has persisted with Terry Connor and although people say he is well regarded, and he may have helped with two promotions over god knows how many years but we have performed abysmally on average under his tutelage.
McCarthy needs help and he needs it fast...

W

Westport Wolf

I don't like to see Terry Connor become the scapegoat. There are obviously reasons for him staying at the club for so long. He's worked under 3 or 4 managers now and surely can't be a bad bloke to have around if that's the case. While we need to add some creativity and flair, Terry Connor has given Wolves something we lacked for years and that's consistency. He knows the club inside out by now and all of the players. He could be our Ronnie Moran. If the club brought a new coach or coaches in, I'd hate it to be at the expense of TC. The guy obviously knows his role very well and produces results that are highly regarded at all levels. We just don't see it as we don't all see what goes on behind closed doors.

M

MK Panther

I don't like to see Terry Connor become the scapegoat. There are obviously reasons for him staying at the club for so long. He's worked under 3 or 4 managers now and surely can't be a bad bloke to have around if that's the case. While we need to add some creativity and flair, Terry Connor has given Wolves something we lacked for years and that's consistency. He knows the club inside out by now and all of the players. He could be our Ronnie Moran. If the club brought a new coach or coaches in, I'd hate it to be at the expense of TC. The guy obviously knows his role very well and produces results that are highly regarded at all levels. We just don't see it as we don't all see what goes on behind closed doors.

I think I am seeing it on the pitch clear enough. So you want him to stay as part of the furniture. He is not my scapegoat, I wanted him gone when we were last in the Premiership as the style of football we play has no plan B if the wheels come off.

He always looks like little boy lost when the wheels come off, not the sort of continuity the club needs. He is not Ronnie Moran, no at all close, sorry.

F

fullmoon

We need a massive overhaul....from coaches to players....simple as that.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you ever see Mick agreeing to bring in, say,a Gerry Francis or a Peter Reid like Stoke have?

I can't.

Waggy's Boots

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We won the league last year, but playing poor football for much of the time. Plenty of effort and enough individuals with quality for that division to get the results, but I wondered many times how the hell we had managed to get the necessary points.
We were the Championship bullies last season, as can be seen whenever we played the better teams.

Sorry mate but the first half of last season we played some of the best fotball we have played since the 70's- havoc and mayhem remember them? We stuttered in th second half granted but credit where credit is due many of our early season displays we superb!!

Oh and its the same dour centre half manager and coach that produced them..so to say they can't deliver the attacking play is a flawed argument I think.

F

fullmoon

MM claims that the lost hurts the players. What about us Mick?

F

Famous Grouch

Most people on here have no experience at all of playing professional football yet it seems they think they are able to manage teams judging by the amount of opinion I can read. You don't have to have played every position to coach. How many great players have gone on to be great managers or coaches?

B

Bladon Wolf

Most people on here have no experience at all of playing professional football yet it seems they think they are able to manage teams judging by the amount of opinion I can read. You don't have to have played every position to coach. How many great players have gone on to be great managers or coaches?
Not Mick thats for sure

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need a massive overhaul....from coaches to players....simple as that.
If we go with the argument that the Coaching is not good enough then surely we cannot really judge the players at present. The whole point of a good manager and coaches is to bring the best out of players.

H

Hatch End Wolf

Last season we were first out of the blocks, played fast moving Championship football, with two wingers making many chances, for two strikers who were on form and comfortable at that level.

We didn't play great passing football and we were generally average against the better quality teams, even in the Championship.

We are going nowhere with the style of football Mick and Clipboard are trying to play in the Premiership, even if we survive.
Most teams, even the stuggling ones, play "pass and move", we consistantly play "pass and stand still". It's been like that from the start of the campaign and either Mick, or Clipboard, or both, are to blame for not coaching the team better.

M

MK Panther

Its always a difficult call and I personally believe that our players are not as bad as they are showing but collectively there is a lot of giving the ball to colleagues close by then walking, or standing still not running into a new position i.e. I do not want the ball back. If you watch our matches again you will see our players making no effort to recieve the ball back or generally hoofing it up the field.

I liked Terry Connor he was a busy forward with a good degree of skill. At the moment something structural is not right and needs to be corrected or improved. If Mick does not want real help that is not my problem, whatever they did at the beginning to middle of last season they have struggled to replicate and the jam tomorrow public statements are starting to jar.

Wolves are going to carry on doing exactly what they have done since the beginning of the season and we will somehow get the results for safety, I don't believe that is going to work for one minute.

Is he going to rest players for the big games coming up or this time try to win then games. As I have stated Mick needs help and he needs it fast, he would not be the first manager to lose direction in the Premiership and he won't be the last, we are sinking slowly and I want to see some changes in passion, control and tactics.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last season we were first out of the blocks, played fast moving Championship football, with two wingers making many chances, for two strikers who were on form and comfortable at that level.

We didn't play great passing football and we were generally average against the better quality teams, even in the Championship.

We are going nowhere with the style of football Mick and Clipboard are trying to play in the Premiership, even if we survive.
Most teams, even the stuggling ones, play "pass and move", we consistantly play "pass and stand still". It's been like that from the start of the campaign and either Mick, or Clipboard, or both, are to blame for not coaching the team better.

+1

When we do actually get the ball down and pass it around we look a lot better, we only seem to be able to do it fo about 5- 10 minutes in any match though.
As others have pointed out other teams seem to be much better at pass and move than we do even those in lower divisions, now supposedly our players are better or as good as all of those so should be capable of playing this style of football, so the only conclusion is that they are being coached and instructed to play the way they do. At this level it's not working.

We have had some injuries in key positions that hasn't helped with the balance of the team, but thats also down to not having the right ccover for those positions and having to play players out of position instead.

Al large part of the responsibility for the style of football we play has to be down to Mick and clipboard.

How many players have actually improved (technically) since they moved here.

Jarvis was dropped for a few games early in the season as he was told his delivery wasn't good enough, came back for a few games and it had improved, now it's back to it's usual hit and miss.

How many times do our defenders gat caught making silly clumsy challenges and giving away free kicks in dangerous places.

Hard work is important in a game too, but not at the expense of some level of skill

doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results is the first sign of madness

Last edited by a moderator:

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The proof is on the pitch and the team and individual players keep on making the same mistakes.

The team is vulnerable to corners and long balls down the middle(seen more in the CCC) whilst the ball retention is not great.

Ward's positioning at LB is terrible......SEB's movement is not good enough......Keogh's upper body strength needs addressing......Berra keeps on giving free kicks away around the box......the delivery of Jarvis etc etc

We keep making the same mistake over and over and you do sometimes wonder what is done in training.Do Mick/Connor have enough time to concentrate on individual player improvement? I'm not so sure.

I think it's Nimrod on here that has always stated the need for a robust training set up if we are going to get the most from the 'young and hungry' approach.

I fully agree with him and changes are definitely needed in this area.

F

FLEET WOLF

The proof is on the pitch and the team and individual players keep on making the same mistakes.

The team is vulnerable to corners and long balls down the middle(seen more in the CCC) whilst the ball retention is not great.

Ward's positioning at LB is terrible......SEB's movement is not good enough......Keogh's upper body strength needs addressing......Berra keeps on giving free kicks away around the box......the delivery of Jarvis etc etc

We keep making the same mistake over and over and you do sometimes wonder what is done in training.Do Mick/Connor have enough time to concentrate on individual player improvement? I'm not so sure.

I think it's Nimrod on here that has always stated the need for a robust training set up if we are going to get the most from the 'young and hungry' approach.

I fully agree with him and changes are definitely needed in this area.

Perhaps silk purses and sow's ears and all that, as another way of looking at it!

F

fullmoon

If we go with the argument that the Coaching is not good enough then surely we cannot really judge the players at present. The whole point of a good manager and coaches is to bring the best out of players.
If both the gaffer and his asst can't bring the best out of the players, surely the whole technical dept need to have an overhaul too.
It does not do us any good with MM knowing he $$$$ed the whole formation and as some who believes he is too arrogant to admit.

Are we going to wait till we get the drop to make the changes?
Surely, its now or never:argh:.

V

Veins Of Old Gold

If our style of play is similar to Micks when he played why are we not physical?

Should we not have a group of 6ft plussers who out their bodies on the line and rough other teams up?

J

Jameswwfc

Just going off topic abit, can you still go to watch them train? I know you cant the day before a game.

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We play our best football when Keogh is in the team.

glasgowwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
how do we know the Clip board i not a top class coach.
Do any of us know ?
From reports I have read and from things I have heard TC is very well respected in the game.

I guess when your looking for things to blame it's easy to throw names about.

J

Jameswwfc

If our style of play is similar to Micks when he played why are we not physical?

Should we not have a group of 6ft plussers who out their bodies on the line and rough other teams up?

I always thought with the player he was that would of been his 1st signing, a big hard centre half. Each transfer window i wait but one never comes. He's signed a few centre halfs since he's been here but they all seem the nice kind that would say sorry if they stood on the forwards toes.

B

Brandons gramps

I think we're more likely to see a Director of Football than a new coach......

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
how do we know the Clip board i not a top class coach.
Do any of us know ?
From reports I have read and from things I have heard TC is very well respected in the game.

I guess when your looking for things to blame it's easy to throw names about.
What is a coaches job and how do you assess if they are doing a good job.

To train the players to be best prepared to WIN games.

To practice set plays, defensive and offensive
to keep the players physically fit
to improve the technical skills of players
to motivate players

I can't see that we've improved in any of these areas this season to any significant degree. So I see no evidence to say he's a great coach.
He's not a total failure, but maybe he's taken the players as far as he can.Time for some fresh ideas

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The reality is that no matter how good the coaching is, if the players are simply not of the standard required, the best coaching in the world is not going to make the difference needed to turn a championship side into a surviving PL side.

You can't coach experience. Part of Moxey and Morgan's comments last summer spoke of the need to balance the exuberance of our young, inexperienced players with some old premier league heads. So we brought in a experienced PL keeper which appears to have made some difference, but how much on-field difference a keeper can make is questionable. Other than that, whilst Doyle of course offers some PL experience, he is still young and can hardly carry the 'experience' load on top of everything else. Then there's Jody who, whilst surpassing all our expectation, admitted himself he only thought he'd be a bit player. The M's clearly mis-read the value of, and/or the difficulty in, bringing in players along the lines of Sami Hyypia who was the one everyone identified as the sort of target we should have bust a gut for. Maybe to attract those sort of players would have required a financial step that the club simply couldn't afford to take. If so I'd love to understand that in more detail as it certainly wasn't the impression we were given.

Simply blaming the quality of our coaching staff is I think missing the point.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Simply blaming the quality of our coaching staff is I think missing the point.

I agree there's not one single reason that means we're struggling, but a combination of a number of factors. An we should be looking to improve in all of those areas, including the coaching

Back
Top Bottom