Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Kudos to Davies

SE10 Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A brief reflection: (due, essentially, to Italian red wine), Mr Davies made big calls for the starting 11, made decisive, early, subs;, and played players in their natural positions. Not many expected much from this fixture, and I, for one, got more than I was expecting. Who knows what the future might bring, but belief in our academy and and desire to win, rather than not lose, has to be a welcome signpost.

T

TheConcourse

How much wine did you consume - 4 or 5 bottles?

Great starting 11. Brilliant first half. Second half; house of cards.

That said, it isn’t his fault. These players are weak.

SE10 Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How much wine did you consume - 4 or 5 bottles?

Great starting 11. Brilliant first half. Second half; house of cards.

That said, it isn’t his fault. These players are weak.
It's become something of a tradition. In that region I imagine...hic

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best choice for starting 11, but made the wrong subs for me. Brave to make them early, just conceded the whole of the midfield with the subs he made. Not so sure things really look that much better, more that we look like a plucky underdog atm, which I guess is credit to Davis as Bruno couldn’t even achieve that!

Sneazy

Groupie
Reaction score
Trouble is a lot of our young players are good but ….slight of stature. We could not afford to lose the physicality we had from the first half.

Can understand the subs to a degree, young Traoure on a yellow and plays that way, Nunes hurt first half and not on it tonight and perhaps agreed minutes for Traore 2? However when all 3 subs are so lightweight it completely changed the game in their favour. Together with Podence we have no presence.

I agree though, some good team selections and actually said what a lot of us were saying over the last few weeks when interviewed….”we could not keep doing the same things and expecting a different outcome”

kentwolves44

Reaction score
Yes, credit where it’s due. Great to include Bueno and he will only be better for this performance. Subs were questionable though..

Sneazy

Groupie
Reaction score
Not all small packages are bad. Full backs seem to be an excepted position where smaller players can be very good. As I said on the verdict thread Bueno put a lot of the team to shame tonight.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The overreaction in the verdict thread is shocking, as per usual to be honest. We lost 2-1, and we were almost 2-0 up at half time if Neves curls that freekick an inch to the left. We matched their physicality brilliantly in the first half due to a good team selection with strong debuts from Bueno and Traore, it's a very tough place to go. The early goal in the second half killed us and gave them momentum, but I didn't agree with the subs, we lost the physicality in midfield almost instantly with Moutinho and Hodge.

Yet we still pushed to equalise, and had some excellent chances, with Guedes whipping several excellent balls in. Add to that the ref not sending off Ward for a clear second yellow for that foul on Sa at the start of the second half, and the clear handball for the penalty that wasn't given by VAR.

You'd think we lost 3-0 or 4-0 and got battered judging by that thread though... go and have a look at who Palace have played so far this season, they're in a false position and we did well tonight, without a manager.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone just see his interview after the game ? When asked will you be in charge Sunday “ his response was who knows if anything happens tomoro I’ll go back to my job and the new manager will be taking over a great squad , why tomorrow ? Something seems imminent

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Subs make sense given this but if Nunes' head injury caused any concern or doubt he should have come off there and then and the medical staff should insist on this. If you are even mildly concussed and receive a second blow to the head it can cause serious brain injury/problems in later life. Even heading the ball when concussed is incredibly dangerous.

You'd think a club that employs Jimenez would understand this.

T

TheConcourse

The overreaction in the verdict thread is shocking, as per usual to be honest. We lost 2-1, and we were almost 2-0 up at half time if Neves curls that freekick an inch to the left. We matched their physicality brilliantly in the first half due to a good team selection with strong debuts from Bueno and Traore, it's a very tough place to go. The early goal in the second half killed us and gave them momentum, but I didn't agree with the subs, we lost the physicality in midfield almost instantly with Moutinho and Hodge.

Yet we still pushed to equalise, and had some excellent chances, with Guedes whipping several excellent balls in. Add to that the ref not sending off Ward for a clear second yellow for that foul on Sa at the start of the second half, and the clear handball for the penalty that wasn't given by VAR.

You'd think we lost 3-0 or 4-0 and got battered judging by that thread though... go and have a look at who Palace have played so far this season, they're in a false position and we did well tonight, without a manager.
Sorry, which excellent chances did we create?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Davis and Collins have done well and been making the right calls. However without a proper striker leading the line no manager is going to be able to dramatically change our performances. The players worked hard tonight for Davis and we looked pretty solid and organised for much of the time. It is the lack of goals that is killing us. The club need to spend big in January to get that decent striker in. That will give Nunes, Podence, Guedes, Traore and co someone to play off and transform our potential attacking threat. Costa is a sticking plaster for now but is a very short term option who will take another couple of months to get properly match fit. At 34 his speed has gone but he can at least be a nuisance.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If Costa had buried his golden chance....if the Neves free kick had landed a few centimetres to the left....

Davies would have back to back wins in the prem. The second half showed he's not a premier league manager IMO, but that's fine, nobody has expected him to be. He's got the team looking more aggressive, he's given chances to some outcasts, he's blooded some youth. Basically he's done what a stand-in manager needs to do, fixed a few things, got the team ready for a fresh start.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lots of 'ifs' in this thread. Ultimately we left Selhurst with nothing, just as we've left a number of grounds this season, because we are not good enough, despite spending £100m during the summer. Small margins? Not when the majority go against us. It's more than that!

Back
Top Bottom