Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Krakow!

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know quite a few of you are well travelled folk :) anyone here been to Krakow? I'm going in March with a group of 10 friends, cannot wait! Any recommendations? Wisla Krakow play on the Friday night we're there, I plan to go but wonder whether it's wise? We're not the type to make prats of ourselves or start chanting Wolves/England songs, so it's probably fine! If no one can help, I remembered there's a few Polish guys on this forum...but I can't recall their names or how to search for them or PM them, anyone know? Thank you in advance!

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been to Krakow several times but not when a match is on. It seemed a very civilised place - Poland's art capital, with, from memory, several universities. I never had or saw any trouble in bars either. Enjoy the trip.

Bromsgrove_Wolf

Reaction score
I visited Krakow in 2007 whilst travelling around Europe with a few of the lads. We had been supping on day-time beers and playing a bit of keepy-uppy when we heard what sounded like an army approaching us. After the initial confusion we noticed a train full of away fans hanging out of windows, on the roof of the train with flares, smashed out windows and police all over the station...

...due to there only being 4 of us in a mixture of Wolves, Liverpool and England shirts we decided to head back to the hostel. (I'm not much of a fighter either!). Our actions were commended by the chap that ran the hostel as we would've been prime targets for both sets as fans being clearly English.

The city as a whole though is immense, evening beers in the Square followed by a club. One of the best times of my youth (although I'm only 27 now so some mixers may still see that as young!).

B

bridgnorthwolf

I went with 3 mates in 2011 for a long weekend. Had a great time.

Really nice city and not a scrap of trouble.

Can highly recommend the Buddha Lounge for a few drinks.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm going in October for my stag do. I'll be honest I'm not sure that I'll be able to remember much about it.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have been several times both as tourist and mixing with the locals who live there ( in their homes etc.)

Many fine restaurants from top-notch French through Italian, Russian and traditional Polish. Then there are the usual burger things as well lots of Vietnamese eateries which are huge value. For example two very well stocked plates of Chicken fried rice with side salad, ice cream for afters, again very ample portions, and a couple of lagers. All for less than a tenner. It was nearer a fiver the last time I went in 2007.

Huge cultural centre with a couple of very fine Art galleries alongside the usual Cloth Hall and Kazimierz the Jewish quarter. Well worth a look at one or two 'Holocaust' museums there explaining the clearances of the said quarter 1939 etc. Speaking of which Auschwitz is a short distance away and many places in Kracow can arrange a visit. Not for the faint hearted.

The salt mines a short distance away are also worth a visit to see the fantastic carvings done by the miners who worked there.

Regarding the football and Wisla Kracow. The stadium is in quite a pleasant setting and is a bit 'Walsall' in size. But there can be issues with some of the fans. I can recall being at Kracow railway station and watching some Wisla fans attending an away game. Not too sociable but the vast majority of Poles/ Kracovians are respectful and engaging people.

Having been into the suburbs to see the 'real' Kracow, like any big City (750,000 pop I think) it has its tougher districts with much unemployment and alcohol related issues.

But as a tourist anyone visiting should have no bother whatsoever and is a very good place to spend some time.

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Go,you will be ok.You will need to get a fans card from the ticket office as well as a ticket and will need your passport as proof,don't leave it to the last minute.You put money on the card and use that to pay for food and drink.

C

cooper_J

It's an absolutely amazing place. Great food, beer and so cheap. I've been before with the wife and we're planning to go back later this year, we liked it so much.

Try the Alchemist in the Jewish Quarter. Great pub.

C

Craddockinho

Worth a visit to Auschwitz, one of the most significant places a human can visit in my opinion.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Went for the New Year, an amazing city given, as one of the locals said they were under occupation from 1939-1989.

Stay in the old town, you can hire a decent apartment for as little as £40 per night. Plenty of bars at extremely reasonable prices, very cosmopolitan feel to the place. We drank Tsykie lager at 80p a pint and flavoured vodka as cheap as 60p a shot food is excellent.

Things you have to do are Auschwitz (we prebooked a private excursion 6 in a mini-bus and guided tour of both camps for £25 each - take food). It's one of the most poignant and moving experiences of my life, something I'll never forget.

Can recommend the Jewish quarter and obviously the main square even there it was still cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom