Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Kilman. Should he stay or go?

If offered around 35m should we accept?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would take £35m for him because I think you could pick up a couple of solid defenders from somewhere in the world for half that much and invest the balance in the forward areas - maybe Scott?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stay.

I believe £35m is slightly more than he’s worth.

But I don’t trust them to get a suitable replacement and in Kilman we have someone who could be CB for the next 5/6 years at least. We could quite easily spend £35m over that period and end up with worse options, so it’s not the no-brainer some seem to think long term.

We basically only stayed up last season due to our defence. We’ve already sold one defender who contributed more than people realise, now some are okay for Kilman to go and the keeper!

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the fee is really 35 million then it is a no brainer really. He isn't worth anywhere near that much so it would have to be an emphatic YES
Not worth anywhere near that much! yet the Italian Champions have allegedly already offered 30 million, there is not a glut of left sided CBs and Kilman is one of the best and it won't be easy to replace him.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100% no at the minute because there doesn't seem to be any alternative....we aye linked strongly enough with anybody to judge whether to let kilman go....what is the alternative....

Surely replacing both of Collins and kilman wasn't part of a so called "master plan " this summer .

Give me the alternative before I decide cause if it's toti and Sanderson it's a No...

Last edited:

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d like us to keep him, but would understand if we sold him for £35m-40m. It would be a great move for him, too.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
At £35m I’d accept. That’s a really good fee and it would give Lopetegui/Hobbs a real chance to reinvest in the right areas. There’s a bigger picture here really.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As always, depends how we spend the money. If we have replacements lined up that improve the whole team, then £35 million is a great figure to get for someone we bought from Maidstone.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i think at £35m we have to be fair to the player here. If he wants to go, then we let him.
I think Ben White is a useful comparison. He went for £50m and he was younger with more versatility.
it’s about the right price.

the caveat as always is that we get the replacement right.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would keep for one more year , only be tempted for around £40 million. He's on a long contract and seems keen to stay unlike MGW. His partnership with Dawson on the whole was solid.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not sure if it’s correct but if we have to give Maidenhead 7m, then it’s a tight decision and I’d lean towards, keep him.

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Voted yes but it’s purely a business and financial decision if you brought anything for 40K and we’re offered 35 Million for it a few years later you’d be nuts to turn it down also I trust Hobbs to get the replacement sorted.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what we want. JL will sell and want the cash to build his own team.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
I would keep for one more year , only be tempted for around £40 million. He's on a long contract and seems keen to stay unlike MGW. His partnership with Dawson on the whole was solid.
Agree. I would only sell for 35m plus. It's not just about finding a PL quality replacement but finding one in the quoted 7-15 million price bracket. My question is 'where are they' for 15m or less? No doubt the club are scouring Europe for a top one having sold two CB's and a replacement for Max too if we sell him. In that case we'd need two.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For Max this may well be a once in a lifetime opportunity to play for a Champions league team. For us it's good money.
He's nowhere near the first player I'd want to sell but we have to change something or we're sliding back into the Championship in a few years.

T

TheConcourse

Agree. I would only sell for 35m plus. It's not just about finding a PL quality replacement but finding one in the quoted 7-15 million price bracket. My question is 'where are they' for 15m or less? No doubt the club are scouring Europe for a top one having sold two CB's and a replacement for Max too if we sell him. In that case we'd need two.
Personally think the budget has been put out there to relax sellers into thinking it’s party time with the Molineux chequebook.

I’m recent years we’ve tended to get battered by transfer fees.

If the right player comes along at £30m to replace Max then they’ll press the button I would have thought.

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would say 'yes' on the grounds that I have some faith in Lopetegui and Hobbs, and believe that they can use this money in a productive way. I think that's what it has to fundamentally boil down to.

I like Kilman a lot. His defensive style is well suited to a top team that has excellent technicians throughout the side and commands a strong percentage of possession. It may be that battling in a mid-table/relegation threatened side does not play to his greatest defensive strengths, in much the same way that if we put John Stones in our defence last season, we would see less of his technical acumen and more desperate fire-fighting.

Saying that, we have a history of not selling assets at their peak value and then watching those assets depreciate, whether through form or shortening of contract length. We had substantial interest in Jimenez, but held onto him. Of course, nobody could have predicted his head injury, but look at Adama Traore, who was seriously sought after following, essentially, a purple patch. Even if he had 4 years on his contract left, we wouldn't get anywhere near the £40-50M being touted a few years ago.

So, there is value in recognising when to capitalise on an asset and sell the player, and we haven't been great at that in recent years.

But there is the other side of the coin, which is getting the best deal for the player and using that money intelligently.

We sold Diogo Jota for a substantial sum of money on the face of it, at a time when he wasn't necessarily in the first XI with the rise of Neto. You can argue about whether we should have sold him, but on closer inspection, the deal was not as mouthwatering as it sounded. We essentially took £12M off the value to take Ki-Jana Hoever, who has, thus far, failed to impress. It also seems like payments were scheduled in such a way that we didn't benefit from increased spending power in the short term.

You also have to look at some of the big money signings we have made off the back of transfer fees, and they have generally not worked: Guedes being the most stark example, but you could also argue Semedo, Fabio Silva, Cutrone, and for value, the jury is out on Cunha and Nunes.

So the question is, if we get £35M (call it £28M since Maidenhead will get a very substantial chunk at 20%), will we sign players who will improve our first team and contribute to the project in a meaningful way?

Off the back of January with Dawson, Lemina and Gomes (and Sarabia at £5M, who I think could be good for us), I'm inclined to put my trust in Hobbs/Lopetegui. £28M could very plausibly get us 2-3 good players who will improve the side.

So on those grounds, irrespective of the relative merits of Kilman as a footballer, I'd go for it.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
Stay.

I believe £35m is slightly more than he’s worth.

But I don’t trust them to get a suitable replacement and in Kilman we have someone who could be CB for the next 5/6 years at least. We could quite easily spend £35m over that period and end up with worse options, so it’s not the no-brainer some seem to think long term.

We basically only stayed up last season due to our defence. We’ve already sold one defender who contributed more than people realise, now some are okay for Kilman to go and the keeper!
This is the concern isn't it.

If we had a reputation and good track record of replacing players well in general, it would be an absolute no brainer for me.

I still think we should do it, but only because I have more faith in Lopetegui and Hobbs compared to previous regimes.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me we have probably got this the wrong way round. To use the phrase “I’d have driven him myself” for £35 million a week ago if it meant we kept Collins who in my eyes has a much higher ceiling than Max. I’m not overtly against selling him now as I think it’s well over his realistic price but it does mean we need to buy 2 cb’s now and bedding two in before the start of the season won’t be easy.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely yes

If we paid 35m for Kilman I wouldn't be very happy.

Back
Top Bottom