Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Kilman captain

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never would be considered captain material by myself but times have changed, gone are the days of a captain being the alpha male shouting and screaming. A captain needs to be respected, have a good temperament and good communication. We don’t see what goes on behind the scenes but that is 2 managers who have highlighted him as captain material.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good for him. Good on the ball, strong in the tackle, hopefully around for a few years yet.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope this is the making of him. A good solid performer who I have not really seen as captain material, but then I don't see him day in day out, and there is more than one way to do the job.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Thing is, sometimes you look and think 'who looks like a natural captain' and sometimes 'who would gain most from being captain'.

If Kilman takes the responsibility and grows as a leader then it's a great decision even if he may not look like the obvious pick.

On a side note I don't know why players have to be told to look like ****heads for media shoots!

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some players mature when given the armband. Sure, Dawson is the obvious choice but giving it to him won't change anything.
It might benefit Max by making him more vocal.

Sevenwolves

Groupie
Reaction score
I just don’t see him as captain. Not sure what he has ever demonstrated to show he is captain material. Didn’t step up when he was partnering Collins. Great player, but captain, no, not for me

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry but he is just not a captain or a leader on the pitch.
He’s played alongside Coady, Dawson and Neves.. hasn’t had to lead to date.. he’s been getting on with his job. We don’t really know who he is off the pitch or how he will react to this.

As others have said, he was gonna be Lopetegui’s choice also, so we have to trust these people to recognise a leader when they see one.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMO this a sweetener. Dawson and Lemina will be the voices on the park

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He’s played alongside Coady, Dawson and Neves.. hasn’t had to lead to date.. he’s been getting on with his job. We don’t really know who he is off the pitch or how he will react to this.

As others have said, he was gonna be Lopetegui’s choice also, so we have to trust these people to recognise a leader when they see one.
Because he was JL’s choice, that pretty much ties O’Neils hands, doesn’t it. Give it someone else after a couple of days at the club, what message would that send to Max? He’s taken the easy option but in reality, the only option or at least the only safe option.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn’t it Lage that made him vice captain and spoke last summer about him being more vocal and trying to help him with that side of his role?

I’m not surprised JLo therefore picked him and O’Neil has carried it on.

We don’t see what goes on behind the scenes.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because he was JL’s choice, that pretty much ties O’Neils hands, doesn’t it. Give it someone else after a couple of days at the club, what message would that send to Max? He’s taken the easy option but in reality, the only option or at least the only safe option.
Yeah, probably some truth in that. I don’t doubt that there will be more vocal players on the pitch.. but I also think that captain is more than being the loudest on a Saturday afternoon now.

Maybe he’s a good trainer, maybe he’s always early.. maybe he isn’t part of a clique and communicates across the whole squad, young to old, Portuguese to English.

Football is a 325 day a year job now and a strong leader can sometimes be a quiet one.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good news imo. All these rumours of him being the next to leave can be put to bed.

Now sign that bloody new contract, Max!

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree with this. He's got the right temperament for captaincy, but to date hasn't shown captain qualities. I reckon he'll step up and do well.

Also: a) if he's told to shout a lot (because people think that's what being a captain's about) I'm sure he will, and b) the captain role isn't as important as it used to be anyway!

Good luck fella.

Reactions: Ian

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with this. He's got the right temperament for captaincy, but to date hasn't shown captain qualities. I reckon he'll step up and do well.

Also: a) if he's told to shout a lot (because people think that's what being a captain's about) I'm sure he will, and b) the captain role isn't as important as it used to be anyway!

Good luck fella.
Max will never be a Coady style shouter.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a captain, one of the quietest guys in the squad
As was Billy Wright:
-A quiet temperament and undemonstrative playing style led some to question his suitability as captain at both club and national level. Wright himself preferred to lead through example. As he once explained, "I decided early on that captaincy is the art of leadership, not dictatorship. Respect is the hardest thing for a captain to come by and the easiest to lose. I never changed my mind about this." (from his Hall of Fame profile on the National Football Museum website.)

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As was Billy Wright:
-A quiet temperament and undemonstrative playing style led some to question his suitability as captain at both club and national level. Wright himself preferred to lead through example. As he once explained, "I decided early on that captaincy is the art of leadership, not dictatorship. Respect is the hardest thing for a captain to come by and the easiest to lose. I never changed my mind about this." (from his Hall of Fame profile on the National Football Museum website.)
Yes, exceptional players can make good leaders due to their sheer ability. I'm not sure Kilman has quite that aura about him.

Madmalc

Reaction score
I think he is an inspired choice.
It will be hard for referees to take exception with us when he has a quiet word with them..

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As was Billy Wright:
Extract from 'Football Is My Passport' by Billy Wright.

IMG-20230818-00001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom