Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Kevin Thelwell

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t understand why he didn’t get more respect from wolves fans, seemed to do a good job as far as I could see. Perhaps it was a time when we seemed to need a pantomime villain, he took over that role when moxey left!?

He will be good for Everton, the money they have wasted is staggering.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"As Sporting Director at Wolverhampton Wanderers and previously Head of Football Development and Recruitment, Thelwell orchestrated Wolves’ rise from League One in 2013/14 to qualification for the Europa League in 2019/20, identifying and recruiting players like Diogo Jota, Ruben Neves, Adama Traore, Leander Dendoncker and Conor Coady."

:tearsofjoy::oops:

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I don’t think people realised what a good job he did for us at the time. All you used to get from people was “Mendes signs all the players don’t he”. Personally I’m not sure Sellars is an upgrade on Thelwell to be honest.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t understand why he didn’t get more respect from wolves fans, seemed to do a good job as far as I could see. Perhaps it was a time when we seemed to need a pantomime villain, he took over that role when moxey left!?

That time is always. People always have to have a scapegoat somewhere. Love caching all of their soundbites to use against them when we are struggling. The Thelwell dossiers et al

A lot of the board would be better off if they never gave their names out rather than fronting up like they do all the time (that's not me saying they don't make mistakes either, but who doesn't)

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite indifferent towards him to be fair. From what I can see, I get the impression he’s great at self promotion and interviews really well. Whilst I don’t think he did a bad job here, he didn’t appear to add too much.

Always seems a decent enough bloke though so good luck there. Although in saying that, Barry Fry would look good in that role given what has gone before him.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he only left us for a great 'new chapter' and couldn't turn down the chance to work in the USA and to move his family there.

Then he's back within two years, with most of it having been played out in Covid times. Hmmm....

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
It'll be typical of Wolves fans that as soon as they make some good signings they'll scream "why didn't he do that here?!" such as with Steve Webber

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cue the transfer rumours about our players going to Everton!

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People can say what they want about him, but in the football industry he has an excellent CV and is highly respected.

More to the point Sellars is most defiantly not an upgrade on Thelwell. The only difference is Sellars is happy to take the money and let Mendes make the real decisions.

Good luck to Kevin, he did an excellent job and was criminally undervalued.

Given enough time and the right support he will make Everton better.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think people realised what a good job he did for us at the time. All you used to get from people was “Mendes signs all the players don’t he”. Personally I’m not sure Sellars is an upgrade on Thelwell to be honest.
Mendes signed the good ones and thelwell signed the bad ones

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Sellars replaced Wolfie as DoF I’m not entirely sure he would be an upgrade.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"As Sporting Director at Wolverhampton Wanderers and previously Head of Football Development and Recruitment, Thelwell orchestrated Wolves’ rise from League One in 2013/14 to qualification for the Europa League in 2019/20, identifying and recruiting players like Diogo Jota, Ruben Neves, Adama Traore, Leander Dendoncker and Conor Coady."

We'll give him Conor Coady who was recruited as a rather disappointing central midfielder.

Add in Sako, Boukari, Mason, Dicko, Afobe- it was a real mixed bag.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Haha. Gotta hand it to whoever wrote that. Spin that even a Tory would be proud of.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People can say what they want about him, but in the football industry he has an excellent CV and is highly respected.

More to the point Sellars is most defiantly not an upgrade on Thelwell. The only difference is Sellars is happy to take the money and let Mendes make the real decisions.

Good luck to Kevin, he did an excellent job and was criminally undervalued.

Given enough time and the right support he will make Everton better.

Sellars always struck me as defiant, but you’d think he would want to be an upgrade

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've shared this before, but I got to know him on a personal level, when he was at Wolves, and I've kept in contact with him and his family while in the US. Him and his wife are extremely nice people.

As for the job he did at Wolves, I was critical at first, but must admit that as I got to know him, I was struck by how hardworking he was, but also, how knowledgeable he was on tactics, players (even in my part of the world) as well as vision and strategy.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't think the "Grant Holt has been at a lot of clubs because he's a good player" went down well!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

".. and Leo Bonitini, Duckens Nazon, Patrick Cutrone, Phil Ofusu-Ayeh, Roderick Miranda and Jesus Vallejo". Though he had nothing to do with "identifying" Fabio Silvia, which Thelwell should probably make clear on his CV.

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Got a load of stick here but I think a lot of it was unwarranted, especially as it’s come out since he’s left that he offered and recommended a lot of decent players only for Nuno to turn his nose up at them.

As other posters have mentioned, he’s an upgrade on Sellars in my opinion, well respected and liked from what we here in the football industry.

I’d say good luck to him but he’s going to a rival premier league side haha!

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No I'd be how good he is because most the success wasn't off him.

He mixed bag in the championship on a small budget.

McDonald, Afobe and Dicko the best buys.

Coady was poor till Nuno saved him.

Bennet and Ruddy was good on a free.

Let's not forget how talentless our squad was when Fosun took us over.

We paid how much for Joe Mason

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good luck rebuilding Everton for the Champ Kevin!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends what they want him to do. As an administrator, he's ok. Anything else i wouldnt bother with. I can clearly remember when Jackett was here he was always pointing out players that we signed like Afobe, Mcdonald, Henry, Jacobs, Ricketts etc were ones he had already either worked with or tried to sign previously compared to others that didnt do so well. At the same time, Thelwell isnt a scout, he's there to make sure the right people are doing what they should be doing on the football side of things.

I still cant stand the bloke. He's so up himself its not funny.

Last edited:

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't Coady here long before Thelwell?

Not sure how anyone can claim that to be stellar business. We could have got him for £600k from Liverpool but pontificated for 18 months and paid £2m from Huddersfield.

Thelwell's dossier consisted of Ivan Toney, Jordan Hugill and a couple more that would have been a useful at champ level.

Ian Cathro, the tactical genius, is the point where it all started to go wrong. IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom